Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 07:09 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 07:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2164 [935]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Health care
Schools:Tuck, Duke
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63666 [366]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 142 [122]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Foster '17
GMAT Date: 01-14-2015
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [23]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT 1: 770 Q60 V60
GPA: 4
Send PM
Re: According to a 1996 survey by the National Association of College and [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Not sure if these examples would help people understand the structure:

1. More people walk than drive.
2. Twice as many people walk as drive.
3. More people own guns than own cars.
4. Twice as many people own guns as own cars.
5. More independent institutions of higher education charge tuition and fees of under $8,000 a year than charge over $16,000.
5. More than three times as many independent institutions of higher education charge tuition and fees of under $8,000 a year as charge over $16,000.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1215 [21]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Send PM
Re: According to a 1996 survey by the National Association of College and [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
The way I see it is as below. Can experts from this forum confirm this, please?

Kindly correct if I am wrong anywhere. This is very important to help my understanding.

Comparisons using the form as...as typically fall in the below categories:

Comparing the numbers

1. Comparison of two groups doing the same action. (My intention is: Number of Americans who buy pizza= 2*(number of Indians who buy pizza)

Different ways:
Twice as many Americans as Indians buy pizza. (or)
Twice as many Americans buy pizza as Indians. (Here " Indians do" is not mentioned. "do" is in ellipsis.)
Twice as many Americans buy pizaa as Indians do.

2. Comparison of two groups doing different actions. (My intention is: Number of Americans who buy pizza=2*(Num of Indians who buy salad)

Different ways:
Twice as many Americans buy pizza as Indians buy salad. (or)
Twice as many Americans buy pizza as Indians who buy salad. <-- is this correct?

3. Comparison of same group doing different actions. (My intention is: Number of Americans who choclate=2*(Num of Americans who buy pizza)

Different ways:
Twice as many Americans buy chocolate as buy pizza. (Here "those" is in ellipsis) (question in this thread)
Twice as many Americans buy chocolate as those who buy pizza. <--- is this correct?
Twice as many Americans buy chocolate as those that buy pizza <--- is this correct?

Comparing Likelihoods

1. Comparison of likelihood of two groups to do the same action

Different ways:
Americans are twice as likely as Indians to buy pizza. (or)
Americans are twice as likely to buy pizza as Indians. (or) (Here "do" is in ellipsis) <--- is this correct?
Americans are twice as likely to buy pizza as Indians do.

2. Comparison of likelihood of the two groups doing different actions

Different ways:
Americans are twice as likely to buy pizza as Indians are to buy salad.

3. Comparison of likelihood of the same group to do different actions

Different ways:
Americans are twice as likely to buy chocolate as to buy pizza.
Americans are twice as likely to buy chocolate as pizza. <--- is this correct?
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
arorag wrote:
According to a 1996 survey by the National Association of College and University Business Officers, more than three times as many independent institutions of higher education charge tuition and fees of under $8,000 a year than those that charge over $16,000.

(A) than those that charge
(B) than are charging
(C) than to charge
(D) as charge
(E) as those charging

Meaning is crucial to solving this problem:
Understanding the intended meaning is key to solving this question; the intended core meaning of this sentence is that there are more than three times as many independent institutions of higher education that charge tuition and fees of under $8,000 a year as there are such institutions that charge over $16,000.

Concepts tested here: Meaning + Comparisons + Tenses + Idioms

• Habitual actions are best conveyed through the simple present tense.
• The simple present continuous tense is used to refer to actions that are currently ongoing and continuous in nature.
• "as many...as" is a correct, idiomatic construction.
• A comparison must always be made between similar things.

A: This answer choice incorrectly compares the verb phrase "charge tuition and fees of under $8,000 a year" to the pronoun phrase "those that charge over $16,000"; please remember, a comparison must always be made between similar things. Further, Option A incorrectly uses the unidiomatic construction "as many...than"; please remember, "as many...as" is a correct, idiomatic construction.

B: This answer choice incorrectly uses the simple present continuous tense verb "are charging" to refer to a habitual action; please remember, habitual actions are best conveyed through the simple present tense, and the simple present continuous tense is only used to refer to actions that are currently ongoing and continuous in nature. Further, Option B incorrectly uses the unidiomatic construction "as many...than"; please remember, "as many...as" is a correct, idiomatic construction.

C: This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase "to charge"; the use of the infinitive verb form ("to + base form of verb" - "to + charge" in this sentence) leads to an incoherent meaning; the intended meaning is that there are more than three times as many independent institutions of higher education that charge tuition and fees of under $8,000 a year as there are such institutions that charge over $16,000. Further, Option C incorrectly uses the infinitive verb form ("to + base form of verb" - "to + charge" in this sentence) to refer to a habitual action; please remember, habitual actions are best conveyed through the simple present tense. Additionally, Option C incorrectly uses the unidiomatic construction "as many...than"; please remember, "as many...as" is a correct, idiomatic construction.

D: Correct. This answer choice correctly compares the verb phrases "charge tuition and fees of under $8,000 a year" and "charge over $16,000", conveying the intended meaning - that there are more than three times as many independent institutions of higher education that charge tuition and fees of under $8,000 a year as there are such institutions that charge over $16,000. Further, Option D correctly uses the simple present tense verb "charge" to refer to habitual action. Additionally, Option D correctly uses the idiomatic construction "as many...as"

E: This answer choice incorrectly compares the verb phrase "charge tuition and fees of under $8,000 a year" to the pronoun phrase "those charging over $16,000"; please remember, a comparison must always be made between similar things. Further, Option E incorrectly uses the present participle ("verb+ing" - "charging" in this sentence) to refer to a habitual action; please remember, habitual actions are best conveyed through the simple present tense.

Hence, D is the best answer choice.

To understand the concept of "Simple Tenses" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~1 minute):

To understand the concept of "Simple Continuous Tenses" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~1 minute):

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
General Discussion
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 2583 [14]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
dk09 wrote:
Thanks a lot for the prompt response people.
The OA is D, but can someone please explain why it cannot be E?

E cannot be the answer because the parallelism within the comparison is broken.

E states: "as many independent institutions ... charge ... under $8,000 ... as those charging over $16,000."
The parallel construction needs to have the same verb form, charge, and not insert the extra, non-parallel word, "those".

D states: "as many independent institutions ... charge ... under $8,000 ... as charge over $16,000."
This one has the correct verb form and doesn't include any non-parallel words.

KW
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [7]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Nick90 wrote:
Divyadisha wrote:
skg wrote:
According to a 1996 survey by the National Association of College an University Business Officers, more than three times as many independent institutions of higher education charge tuition and fees of under $8,000 a year than those that charge over $16,000.

A) than those that charge
B) than are charging
C) than to charge
D) as charge
E) as those charging

As X as Y is the correct idiom; hence, only D and E are left.

The comparison says more than three times as many independent institutions of higher education charge tuition fee of under 8000 as institutions that charge 16000

In option E 'Charging' is not parallel to Charge , and hence is a wrong option.

D is the right answer

but as per egmat explanation "charging" meand "that charge" ...... so logically E is also correct .

please correct me , If i am wrong here .

I am copying the my own previous post here in case you missed it. If you are differ with this post, I would be happy to discuss further on arriving at a meaningful explanation.

"A simpler construction might help understand the complex question better:
Three times as many students like football as like basketball.

The correct comparison marker is as.... as. The combination as... than is wrong (than must go with a comparative adjective, not with as)

Therefore A,B and C can be eliminated.

The compared elements are:

3X institutions charge low fees (< $8000) and X institutions charge high fees (>$16,000). Two verbs charge and charge are being compared.

In option E,the parallelism is lost because charge and charging are compared.

Therefore D is correct."[/quote]

In option E, one element is a verb (charge) and other a participle (charging).
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [12]
Schools:
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Tobybun wrote:
mayankbhatnagar wrote:
OA is E....it uses idiom as X as Y

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Yes, I got the idiomatic bit of it. However, what about charge || charging? I think option e is breaking parallelism

It is acceptable to omit repeated parts of the second element of two elements in parallel. Before the omission the sentence (simplified for easy understanding) is as follows:

More than three times as many institutions charge low fees as institutions charge high fees.

The blue font and green font portions are parallel elements.

It is allowed to omit the repeated part (institutions) from the second element ( green font). After omission the sentence becomes:
More than three times as many institutions charge low fees as instituionscharge high fees.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 29925 [7]
Given Kudos: 799
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Tobybun wrote:
According to a 1996 survey by the National Association of College and University
Business Officers, more than three times as many independent institutions of higher
education charge tuition and fees of under $8,000 a year than those that charge over
$16,000

A. than those that charge
B. than are charging
C. than to charge
D. as charge
E. as those charging

This sentence has a LOT of fluff that gets in the way of locating the correct answer.

GIVEN: According to a 1996 survey by the National Association of College and University Business Officers, more than three times as many independent institutions of higher education charge tuition and fees of under $8,000 a year than those that charge over $16,000

IGNORE THE FLUFF: According to a 1996 survey by the National Association of College and University Business Officers, more than three times as many THINGS DO one thing ______________something else

For parallelism, the blank needs something like "as DO"

We get: Three times as many THINGS DO one thing as DO something else

Answer: D

RELATED VIDEOS

Originally posted by BrentGMATPrepNow on 19 Jul 2016, 12:10.
Last edited by BrentGMATPrepNow on 13 Mar 2019, 13:47, edited 1 time in total.
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [1]
Schools:
Send PM