GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Nov 2018, 09:24

Gmatbusters' Weekly Quant Quiz

Join here 


Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
28293031123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
2526272829301
Open Detailed Calendar
  • FREE Quant Workshop by e-GMAT!

     November 18, 2018

     November 18, 2018

     07:00 AM PST

     09:00 AM PST

    Get personalized insights on how to achieve your Target Quant Score. November 18th, 7 AM PST
  • How to QUICKLY Solve GMAT Questions - GMAT Club Chat

     November 20, 2018

     November 20, 2018

     09:00 AM PST

     10:00 AM PST

    The reward for signing up with the registration form and attending the chat is: 6 free examPAL quizzes to practice your new skills after the chat.

According to a 1996 survey by the National Association of College and

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 26 Mar 2008
Posts: 82
Schools: Tuck, Duke
According to a 1996 survey by the National Association of College and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 02 Oct 2018, 04:34
31
2
4
200
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  95% (hard)

Question Stats:

34% (00:41) correct 66% (00:52) wrong based on 6906 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

According to a 1996 survey by the National Association of College and University Business Officers, more than three times as many independent institutions of higher education charge tuition and fees of under $8,000 a year than those that charge over $16,000.

(A) than those that charge
(B) than are charging
(C) than to charge
(D) as charge
(E) as those charging

https://www.nytimes.com/1996/05/25/opinion/l-college-needn-t-be-the-impossible-dream-070882.html
https://www.nytimes.com/1996/05/21/opinion/observer-the-college-nightmare.html

Fear not, Russell Baker ("The College Nightmare," column, May 21). It will not take the "wealth of the Indies" -- or of Indiana -- to attend a high-caliber private college or university. According to the College Board, the average tuition at a four-year private college or university in 1995-96 was $10,514.

More than three times as many private institutions charge tuition and fees that are below $8,000 than charge above $16,000. Even at Princeton, Stanford, Yale and Harvard -- among the 1 percent of all institutions charging more than $20,000 -- almost half their undergraduate students receive an average of $12,000 each in need-based aid.

Originally posted by arorag on 06 Sep 2008, 14:47.
Last edited by hazelnut on 02 Oct 2018, 04:34, edited 2 times in total.
Most Helpful Expert Reply
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
User avatar
P
Status: GMAT and GRE tutor
Joined: 13 Aug 2009
Posts: 2097
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: According to a 1996 survey by the National Association of College and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2017, 11:15
30
Top Contributor
15
The answer is definitely (D) here.

The biggest issue in this question is the (very cleverly disguised) idiom "as many... as". We use the phrase "as many... as" pretty frequently in normal language:

  • Chuck eats three times as many burritos as Mike. --> no problem, right?
  • Chuck eats more than three times as many burritos as Mike. --> still no problem, right?

Both of these are acceptable, it's just that they're saying slightly different things. But you wouldn't say either of these:

  • Chuck eats three times as many burritos than Mike.
  • Chuck eats more than three times as many burritos than Mike.

You could say "as many... as" or "more than" -- but "as many... than" is simply wrong. The error in (A), (B), and (C) is exactly the same as in these last two examples. It's just that the construction is more complicated, so it's harder to spot the error. For example, here's answer choice (C):

Quote:
more than three times as many independent institutions of higher education charge tuition and fees of under $8,000 a year than charge over $16,000


There are a ton of words separating "as many" from "than" -- and that makes it really, really hard to see the mistake. And yes, this is a nasty little trick that you're likely to see in other GMAT SC questions.

Anyway, that leaves us with (D) and (E). As several people have mentioned, there's a parallelism issue in (E), but to be fair, it's really subtle. Here are (D) and (E) again, with a few words stripped out to make it easier to see what's happening:

    (D) "... three times as many institutions charge tuition and fees of under $8,000 a year as charge over $16,000."
    (E) "... three times as many institutions charge tuition and fees of under $8,000 a year as those charging over $16,000."

The parallelism is much, much clearer in (D): "three times as many institutions do X as do Y." In (E), we're basically saying "three times as many institutions do X as institutions doing Y."

But to be fair: man, this question is tough, and I can introduce you to a whole bunch of people who missed this on their practice tests... and still scored in the mid-700s on the real thing just a few weeks later. :)
_________________

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | Instagram | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

Most Helpful Community Reply
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 09 Jul 2012
Posts: 13
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Foster '17
GMAT Date: 01-14-2015
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: According to a 1996 survey by the National Association of College and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 27 Sep 2013, 22:00
60
24
arorag wrote:
According to a 1996 survey by the National Association of College and University Business Officers, more than three times as many independent institutions of higher education charge tuition and fees of under $8,000 a year than those that charge over $16,000.

A) than those that charge
B) than are charging
C) than to charge
D) as charge
E) as those charging


They are using wordiness to make this tricky. Let's simplify this sentence as much as we can:

Three times as many institutions charge under $8,000 a year than those that charge over $16,000.

Let's plug in our answer options:

(A) Three times as many institutions charge under $8,000 a year than those that charge over $16,000.
Nope. If we use "than", we need to have another noun
(B) Three times as many institutions charge under $8,000 a year than are charging over $16,000.
Ditto
(C) Three times as many institutions charge under $8,000 a year than to charge over $16,000.
Ditto
(D) Three times as many institutions charge under $8,000 a year as charge over $16,000.
(E) Three times as many institutions charge under $8,000 a year as those charging over $16,000.

The sentence pattern is:
<quantity> as many <subject> <verb phrase> as <verb phrase>.
As many voters voted for Bush as voted for Gore.
This is clearly better than the sentence:
As many voters voted for Bush as those voting for Gore.

This one is tricky because the "three times" at the start is somehow inherently confusing. Let's use a different word w/a similar meaning:
Twice as many students buy pizza as buy salad. <-- Awkward, but workable.
Twice as many students buy pizza as those buying salad. <-- Clearly incorrect.
_________________

Please +1 KUDOS this post if you found it helpful! Thanks!


Originally posted by lukep on 21 Sep 2013, 23:59.
Last edited by lukep on 27 Sep 2013, 22:00, edited 2 times in total.
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 12 Mar 2010
Posts: 290
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Re: According to a 1996 survey by the National Association of College and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2013, 02:50
3
9
The way I see it is as below. Can experts from this forum confirm this, please?

Kindly correct if I am wrong anywhere. This is very important to help my understanding.

Comparisons using the form as...as typically fall in the below categories:

Comparing the numbers

1. Comparison of two groups doing the same action. (My intention is: Number of Americans who buy pizza= 2*(number of Indians who buy pizza)

Different ways:
Twice as many Americans as Indians buy pizza. (or)
Twice as many Americans buy pizza as Indians. (Here " Indians do" is not mentioned. "do" is in ellipsis.)
Twice as many Americans buy pizaa as Indians do.

2. Comparison of two groups doing different actions. (My intention is: Number of Americans who buy pizza=2*(Num of Indians who buy salad)

Different ways:
Twice as many Americans buy pizza as Indians buy salad. (or)
Twice as many Americans buy pizza as Indians who buy salad. <-- is this correct?

3. Comparison of same group doing different actions. (My intention is: Number of Americans who choclate=2*(Num of Americans who buy pizza)

Different ways:
Twice as many Americans buy chocolate as buy pizza. (Here "those" is in ellipsis) (question in this thread)
Twice as many Americans buy chocolate as those who buy pizza. <--- is this correct?
Twice as many Americans buy chocolate as those that buy pizza <--- is this correct?


Comparing Likelihoods

1. Comparison of likelihood of two groups to do the same action

Different ways:
Americans are twice as likely as Indians to buy pizza. (or)
Americans are twice as likely to buy pizza as Indians. (or) (Here "do" is in ellipsis) <--- is this correct?
Americans are twice as likely to buy pizza as Indians do.

2. Comparison of likelihood of the two groups doing different actions

Different ways:
Americans are twice as likely to buy pizza as Indians are to buy salad.

3. Comparison of likelihood of the same group to do different actions

Different ways:
Americans are twice as likely to buy chocolate as to buy pizza.
Americans are twice as likely to buy chocolate as pizza. <--- is this correct?
Manhattan Prep Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 30 Apr 2012
Posts: 794
Re: According to a 1996 survey by the National Association of College and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2014, 10:11
6
3
dk09 wrote:
Thanks a lot for the prompt response people.
The OA is D, but can someone please explain why it cannot be E?


E cannot be the answer because the parallelism within the comparison is broken.

E states: "as many independent institutions ... charge ... under $8,000 ... as those charging over $16,000."
The parallel construction needs to have the same verb form, charge, and not insert the extra, non-parallel word, "those".

D states: "as many independent institutions ... charge ... under $8,000 ... as charge over $16,000."
This one has the correct verb form and doesn't include any non-parallel words.

KW
_________________


Kyle Widdison | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Utah


Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile



Retired Moderator
User avatar
S
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 2990
Location: Germany
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: According to a 1996 survey by the National Association of College and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 May 2016, 03:28
2
1
Nick90 wrote:
Divyadisha wrote:
skg wrote:
According to a 1996 survey by the National Association of College an University Business Officers, more than three times as many independent institutions of higher education charge tuition and fees of under $8,000 a year than those that charge over $16,000.

A) than those that charge
B) than are charging
C) than to charge
D) as charge
E) as those charging


As X as Y is the correct idiom; hence, only D and E are left.

The comparison says more than three times as many independent institutions of higher education charge tuition fee of under 8000 as institutions that charge 16000

In option E 'Charging' is not parallel to Charge , and hence is a wrong option.

D is the right answer


but as per egmat explanation "charging" meand "that charge" ...... so logically E is also correct .

please correct me , If i am wrong here .


I am copying the my own previous post here in case you missed it. If you are differ with this post, I would be happy to discuss further on arriving at a meaningful explanation.

"A simpler construction might help understand the complex question better:
Three times as many students like football as like basketball.

The correct comparison marker is as.... as. The combination as... than is wrong (than must go with a comparative adjective, not with as)

Therefore A,B and C can be eliminated.

The compared elements are:

3X institutions charge low fees (< $8000) and X institutions charge high fees (>$16,000). Two verbs charge and charge are being compared.

In option E,the parallelism is lost because charge and charging are compared.

Therefore D is correct."[/quote]

In option E, one element is a verb (charge) and other a participle (charging).
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 24 Jun 2016
Posts: 280
GMAT 1: 770 Q60 V60
GPA: 4
Re: According to a 1996 survey by the National Association of College and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Jun 2016, 09:29
3
1
Not sure if these examples would help people understand the structure:

1. More people walk than drive.
2. Twice as many people walk as drive.
3. More people own guns than own cars.
4. Twice as many people own guns as own cars.
5. More independent institutions of higher education charge tuition and fees of under $8,000 a year than charge over $16,000.
5. More than three times as many independent institutions of higher education charge tuition and fees of under $8,000 a year as charge over $16,000.
_________________

Are you aiming for a 700+ GMAT score and a top 10 MBA?
If you are, we should talk. I specialize in ambitious students.


$80/hour as of May 2018.


http://www.facebook.com/HanoiGMATtutor
HanoiGMATTutor@gmail.com

Retired Moderator
User avatar
S
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 2990
Location: Germany
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: According to a 1996 survey by the National Association of College and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2016, 06:49
4
1
Tobybun wrote:
mayankbhatnagar wrote:
OA is E....it uses idiom as X as Y

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk


Yes, I got the idiomatic bit of it. However, what about charge || charging? I think option e is breaking parallelism


It is acceptable to omit repeated parts of the second element of two elements in parallel. Before the omission the sentence (simplified for easy understanding) is as follows:

More than three times as many institutions charge low fees as institutions charge high fees.

The blue font and green font portions are parallel elements.


It is allowed to omit the repeated part (institutions) from the second element ( green font). After omission the sentence becomes:
More than three times as many institutions charge low fees as instituionscharge high fees.
CEO
CEO
User avatar
D
Joined: 11 Sep 2015
Posts: 3122
Location: Canada
Re: According to a 1996 survey by the National Association of College and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2016, 11:10
2
Top Contributor
1
Tobybun wrote:
According to a 1996 survey by the National Association of College and University
Business Officers, more than three times as many independent institutions of higher
education charge tuition and fees of under $8,000 a year than those that charge over
$16,000

A. than those that charge
B. than are charging
C. than to charge
D. as charge
E. as those charging


This sentence has a LOT of fluff that gets in the way of locating the correct answer.

GIVEN: According to a 1996 survey by the National Association of College and University Business Officers, more than three times as many independent institutions of higher education charge tuition and fees of under $8,000 a year than those that charge over $16,000

IGNORE THE FLUFF: According to a 1996 survey by the National Association of College and University Business Officers, more than three times as many THINGS DO one thing ______________something else

For parallelism, the blank needs something like "as DO"

We get: Three times as many THINGS DO one thing as DO something else

Answer:

RELATED VIDEOS



_________________

Test confidently with gmatprepnow.com
Image

Retired Moderator
User avatar
S
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 2990
Location: Germany
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: According to a 1996 survey by the National Association of College and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Feb 2017, 00:29
manhasnoname wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
Tobybun wrote:

Yes, I got the idiomatic bit of it. However, what about charge || charging? I think option e is breaking parallelism


It is acceptable to omit repeated parts of the second element of two elements in parallel. Before the omission the sentence (simplified for easy understanding) is as follows:

More than three times as many institutions charge low fees as institutions charge high fees.

The blue font and green font portions are parallel elements.


It is allowed to omit the repeated part (institutions) from the second element ( green font). After omission the sentence becomes:
More than three times as many institutions charge low fees as instituionscharge high fees.


Would it still be correct if "charge" is omitted?
More than three times as many institutions charge low fees as instituions charge high fees.



Yes, even a verb can be omitted, if it has already been used in the first element of the parallel structure and the meaning is not obscured or ambiguous. For example, following is an ambiguous sentence:

I like chocolates more than Deepika.

The above may have two meanings:
I like chocolates more than Deepika (likes chocolates).
I like chocolates more than (I like) Deepika.

In such cases omission is not acceptable.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 21 Mar 2017
Posts: 1
Re: According to a 1996 survey by the National Association of College and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 May 2017, 07:13
can anyone please explain what the correct answer is? Still confused between D and E.
Board of Directors
User avatar
V
Status: Stepping into my 10 years long dream
Joined: 18 Jul 2015
Posts: 3614
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: According to a 1996 survey by the National Association of College and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 May 2017, 08:07
Noyonika wrote:
can anyone please explain what the correct answer is? Still confused between D and E.


Hi Noyonika ,

Correct answer is option D.

According to a 1996 survey by the National Association of College and University Business Officers, more than three times as many independent institutions of higher education charge tuition and fees of under $8,000 a year as charge over $16,000.

Notice that we are comparing one set of institutions that charge under $8000 and another set that charges over $16000.

So, we should say as many institutions charge over $8000 as institutions charge over $16000.

Did you notice the comparison of institutions based on the fees they charge?

Do you think "one set of institutions that charge under $8000 and another set charging over $16000." is || ?

The answer is NO. Hence, E is not correct because it is saying those charging on one side and those charge on another side.

A per the ||ism rule, if we are saying as X as Y ==> X and Y must be ||. Hence, E is incorrect.

Let me know if you any specific question.
_________________

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog
GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.
New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!
Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free
Check our new About Us Page here.

GMAT Club Verbal Expert
User avatar
P
Status: GMAT and GRE tutor
Joined: 13 Aug 2009
Posts: 2097
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: According to a 1996 survey by the National Association of College and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jan 2018, 18:00
giuliab3 wrote:
In my exam simulation I chose answer A, why is A wrong?
thank you

The key to this question is the comparison idiom: "three times as many independent institutions [do a bunch of stuff] _______________ other institutions."

Obviously, I've stripped a lot of distracting crap out of the sentence, but what would you prefer to have in the blank: "as" or "than"?

See if that helps! And if you need more on comparisons, check out part I and part II of our YouTube series on the topic.
_________________

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | Instagram | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

Manager
Manager
User avatar
S
Status: On the journey of achieving
Affiliations: Senior Manager, CA by profession, CFA(USA) Level 2
Joined: 06 Feb 2016
Posts: 195
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 560 Q44 V21
GPA: 3.82
WE: Other (Commercial Banking)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: According to a 1996 survey by the National Association of College and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2018, 07:46
gmatexam439 abhimahna Your take on D vs E please
_________________

Never Settle for something less than what you deserve...........

I've failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed--Michael Jordan
Kudos drives a person to better himself every single time. So Pls give it generously
Wont give up till i hit a 700+

Board of Directors
User avatar
V
Status: Stepping into my 10 years long dream
Joined: 18 Jul 2015
Posts: 3614
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: According to a 1996 survey by the National Association of College and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2018, 07:59
1
vasuca10 wrote:
gmatexam439 abhimahna Your take on D vs E please


Hey vasuca10 ,

I am happy to help :-)

You need to understand what are you comparing.

As many X as Y.

Here,X: Institutions charge under 8000
Y: Institutions charge above 16000.

You are comparing two clauses. So, is the case in D. We are using ellipsis here. as [institutions] charge

But in E, we have "those charging". "Verb + Ing" is no longer a verb. Hence, "those charging" is no longer a clause. hence, ||ism error.

Does that make sense?
_________________

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog
GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.
New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!
Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free
Check our new About Us Page here.

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 23 Oct 2012
Posts: 14
Re: According to a 1996 survey by the National Association of College and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2018, 05:29
GMATNinja wrote:
The answer is definitely (D) here.

The biggest issue in this question is the (very cleverly disguised) idiom "as many... as". We use the phrase "as many... as" pretty frequently in normal language:

  • Chuck eats three times as many burritos as Mike. --> no problem, right?
  • Chuck eats more than three times as many burritos as Mike. --> still no problem, right?

Both of these are acceptable, it's just that they're saying slightly different things. But you wouldn't say either of these:

  • Chuck eats three times as many burritos than Mike.
  • Chuck eats more than three times as many burritos than Mike.

You could say "as many... as" or "more than" -- but "as many... than" is simply wrong. The error in (A), (B), and (C) is exactly the same as in these last two examples. It's just that the construction is more complicated, so it's harder to spot the error. For example, here's answer choice (C):

Quote:
more than three times as many independent institutions of higher education charge tuition and fees of under $8,000 a year than charge over $16,000


There are a ton of words separating "as many" from "than" -- and that makes it really, really hard to see the mistake. And yes, this is a nasty little trick that you're likely to see in other GMAT SC questions.

Anyway, that leaves us with (D) and (E). As several people have mentioned, there's a parallelism issue in (E), but to be fair, it's really subtle. Here are (D) and (E) again, with a few words stripped out to make it easier to see what's happening:

    (D) "... three times as many institutions charge tuition and fees of under $8,000 a year as charge over $16,000."
    (E) "... three times as many institutions charge tuition and fees of under $8,000 a year as those charging over $16,000."

The parallelism is much, much clearer in (D): "three times as many institutions do X as do Y." In (E), we're basically saying "three times as many institutions do X as institutions doing Y."

But to be fair: man, this question is tough, and I can introduce you to a whole bunch of people who missed this on their practice tests... and still scored in the mid-700s on the real thing just a few weeks later. :)



There is a reason I am not convinced with OA D and this explanation. You say that:
more three times as many institution do X as do Y.

This would mean that:
"more than three times as many institutions do X as institutions do Y". this is not the correct meaning. Instead we should have something like:
"more than three times as many institutions do X as institutions that do Y". Now this is parallel. No matter how much you say that E is not parallel, it has "that" after institutions in a sense
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
User avatar
P
Status: GMAT and GRE tutor
Joined: 13 Aug 2009
Posts: 2097
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: According to a 1996 survey by the National Association of College and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2018, 19:32
utkbits wrote:
There is a reason I am not convinced with OA D and this explanation. You say that:
more three times as many institution do X as do Y.

This would mean that:
"more than three times as many institutions do X as institutions do Y". this is not the correct meaning. Instead we should have something like:
"more than three times as many institutions do X as institutions that do Y". Now this is parallel. No matter how much you say that E is not parallel, it has "that" after institutions in a sense

If your goal is to improve your GMAT score, it really isn't helpful to argue with the correct answer on an official GMAT question. Whether we like it or not, the official answer is (D). Personally, I'm not a fan of some of the GMAT's decisions about what to test on sentence correction. But our opinions aren't useful for understanding how the test actually works.

Let's look more closely at the parallelism, and see if that helps you see what the GMAT is thinking here:
utkbits wrote:
"more than three times as many institutions do X as institutions do Y". this is not the correct meaning.

This about as parallel as it gets: "... more than three times as many institutions do X as institutions do Y." The two "halves" of the comparison are both clauses, with a subject and a verb. And I don't see how that's a problem meaning-wise, either: we're trying to compare the number of institutions that do each of the two tasks. It might not sound awesome, but it's grammatically and logically fine.

utkbits wrote:
Instead we should have something like:
"more than three times as many institutions do X as institutions that do Y". Now this is parallel. No matter how much you say that E is not parallel, it has "that" after institutions in a sense

Look more carefully at the structure here: "more than three times as many institutions do X as institutions that do Y" The first part of the comparison, "institutions do X" is a clause again, with a subject and a verb. The second part is a noun with a modifier -- so not a clause at all, and not parallel to the first part of the comparison.

The same is true of the original version of (E): "... three times as many institutions charge tuition and fees of under $8,000 a year as those charging over $16,000." The first part of the comparison is a clause, with a subject and a verb. The second part is just a noun ("those" = "institutions") with a modifier ("charging"). Structurally, that simply isn't parallel.

I hope this helps!
_________________

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | Instagram | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

Manager
Manager
User avatar
S
Joined: 30 Dec 2015
Posts: 84
GPA: 3.92
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Re: According to a 1996 survey by the National Association of College and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2018, 13:07
utkbits wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:
The answer is definitely (D) here.

The biggest issue in this question is the (very cleverly disguised) idiom "as many... as". We use the phrase "as many... as" pretty frequently in normal language:

  • Chuck eats three times as many burritos as Mike. --> no problem, right?
  • Chuck eats more than three times as many burritos as Mike. --> still no problem, right?

Both of these are acceptable, it's just that they're saying slightly different things. But you wouldn't say either of these:

  • Chuck eats three times as many burritos than Mike.
  • Chuck eats more than three times as many burritos than Mike.

You could say "as many... as" or "more than" -- but "as many... than" is simply wrong. The error in (A), (B), and (C) is exactly the same as in these last two examples. It's just that the construction is more complicated, so it's harder to spot the error. For example, here's answer choice (C):

Quote:
more than three times as many independent institutions of higher education charge tuition and fees of under $8,000 a year than charge over $16,000


There are a ton of words separating "as many" from "than" -- and that makes it really, really hard to see the mistake. And yes, this is a nasty little trick that you're likely to see in other GMAT SC questions.

Anyway, that leaves us with (D) and (E). As several people have mentioned, there's a parallelism issue in (E), but to be fair, it's really subtle. Here are (D) and (E) again, with a few words stripped out to make it easier to see what's happening:

    (D) "... three times as many institutions charge tuition and fees of under $8,000 a year as charge over $16,000."
    (E) "... three times as many institutions charge tuition and fees of under $8,000 a year as those charging over $16,000."

The parallelism is much, much clearer in (D): "three times as many institutions do X as do Y." In (E), we're basically saying "three times as many institutions do X as institutions doing Y."

But to be fair: man, this question is tough, and I can introduce you to a whole bunch of people who missed this on their practice tests... and still scored in the mid-700s on the real thing just a few weeks later. :)



There is a reason I am not convinced with OA D and this explanation. You say that:
more three times as many institution do X as do Y.

This would mean that:
"more than three times as many institutions do X as institutions do Y". this is not the correct meaning. Instead we should have something like:
"more than three times as many institutions do X as institutions that do Y". Now this is parallel. No matter how much you say that E is not parallel, it has "that" after institutions in a sense


'those' can refer to a subject only Here 'those' is trying to refer to 'independent institutions of higher education' but 'those'- like 'that' - cannot refer to a subject + modifier.
Also, as much....as is the correct idiom; as much....than is incorrect
You combine the above two rules and apply them, you will notice that A,B,C & E can be eliminated.
Even though the correct answer (D) doesn't sound the way you want it to sound or the way we perceive the correct answer should sound, it follows the above mentioned rules.
According to a 1996 ................Business Officers, more than three times as many IIOHC charge tuition and fees of under $8,000 a year as charge over $16,000.

_________________

If you analyze enough data, you can predict the future.....its calculating probability, nothing more!

GMAT Club Bot
Re: According to a 1996 survey by the National Association of College and &nbs [#permalink] 18 Aug 2018, 13:07
Display posts from previous: Sort by

According to a 1996 survey by the National Association of College and

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.