GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Apr 2019, 21:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

According to a 1996 survey by the National Association of College and

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director
G
Re: According to a 1996 survey by the National Association of College and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Mar 2019, 03:50
comparison is about ellipsis and parallelism. we have to make sure the comparison is clear and logic.

for comparison to be logic, the pattern of comparison must be in parallel form. This mean every phrase of one clause must be paralel with corresponding phrase of the second clause. elipsis can happen but we must maintain that every phrase in one clause must be parallel with corresponding phrase of the second clause.

3 time as many institutions do x as institutions do y
this is correct. and we can cut off insitutions in the second clause. the sentence becomes choice D. still good.
if we write
3 times as many institution do x as those doing y
I can understand
3 times as many institution do x as those doing y do x. (using parallelism, I can infer this sentence and this sentence is wrong).

the takeaway is that for comparison problem, focus on parallelism because parallelism keep comparison clear.

what I do not understand is when we insert "that/those" into comparison ?

the following is from og new books.
Most of the country’s biggest daily newspapers had lower circulation in the six months from October 1995 through March 1996 than a similar period a year earlier.

(A) a similar period

(B) a similar period’s

(C) in a similar period

(D) that in a similar period

(E) that of a similar period

in this problem, many person choose choice D which contain "that" because they think there are 2 kind of circulation. this problem is harder than our problem because both choice C, the official answer and choice D, are parallel. why we do not need "that" in choice D?

I think (pls, correct me if my thinking is incorrect) that we insert in "that/those" when the comparison need to be clear. if the comparison is clear, we do not insert "that/those". we can cut off all similar phrase in the second clause and keep the second compared element.

if there is 1 singular couple, we keep only the second compared element
3 times as much American eat meat as Vietnamese do
if there are 2 couple of comparison, we keep 2 elements of comparison in the second clause
3 time as much american eat meat as Vietnamese eat vegetable. here first couple of comparison is american/vietnamese, the second couple of comparison is eat meat/east vegetable.

we insert "that/those" when the parallelism dose not help make comparison clear. consider

students of Havard business school are more succesful in business world than THOSE of Hanoi business school are.

we can not omit "that/those" when the element of comparison is adjectival position. IS THIS CORRECT.

"that/those" is used when the "that/those" replace the noun which has a modifier. in our above sentece, the modifier is " of Havard business school". in other words, "that/those " is used when we want to compare 2 different nouns ,each of which has different modifiers and when these two noun is in the same circumstance.

if the element of comparison is not in adjectival position but in adverbial position, "that/those can be omit

most persons are stronger today than yesterday

element of comparion is adverb, today/yesterday, "that/those " is omited.

my conclusion is that we use "that/those " only when comparison element is in adjectival position. IS THIS CORRECT? PLS ,HELP
Intern
Intern
B
Re: According to a 1996 survey by the National Association of College and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2019, 00:05
gmatter0913 wrote:
The way I see it is as below. Can experts from this forum confirm this, please?

Kindly correct if I am wrong anywhere. This is very important to help my understanding.

Comparisons using the form as...as typically fall in the below categories:

Comparing the numbers

1. Comparison of two groups doing the same action. (My intention is: Number of Americans who buy pizza= 2*(number of Indians who buy pizza)

Different ways:
Twice as many Americans as Indians buy pizza. (or)
Twice as many Americans buy pizza as Indians. (Here " Indians do" is not mentioned. "do" is in ellipsis.)
Twice as many Americans buy pizaa as Indians do.

2. Comparison of two groups doing different actions. (My intention is: Number of Americans who buy pizza=2*(Num of Indians who buy salad)

Different ways:
Twice as many Americans buy pizza as Indians buy salad. (or)
Twice as many Americans buy pizza as Indians who buy salad. <-- is this correct?

3. Comparison of same group doing different actions. (My intention is: Number of Americans who choclate=2*(Num of Americans who buy pizza)

Different ways:
Twice as many Americans buy chocolate as buy pizza. (Here "those" is in ellipsis) (question in this thread)
Twice as many Americans buy chocolate as those who buy pizza. <--- is this correct?
Twice as many Americans buy chocolate as those that buy pizza <--- is this correct?

Comparing Likelihoods

1. Comparison of likelihood of two groups to do the same action

Different ways:
Americans are twice as likely as Indians to buy pizza. (or)
Americans are twice as likely to buy pizza as Indians. (or) (Here "do" is in ellipsis) <--- is this correct?
Americans are twice as likely to buy pizza as Indians do.

2. Comparison of likelihood of the two groups doing different actions

Different ways:
Americans are twice as likely to buy pizza as Indians are to buy salad.

3. Comparison of likelihood of the same group to do different actions

Different ways:
Americans are twice as likely to buy chocolate as to buy pizza.
Americans are twice as likely to buy chocolate as pizza. <--- is this correct?

Can any expert elaborate on this understanding? It would be extremely helpful.
Tks
Intern
Intern
B
According to a 1996 survey by the National Association of College and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2019, 00:32
What if we make "charging" to "charge" in option E then which would be the best answer. 'D' or 'E'
VP
VP
P
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2019, 00:46
gaurav2m wrote:
What if we make "charging" to "charge" in option E then which would be the best answer. 'D' or 'E'

Hi Gaurav, it would still be D for concision.

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com
Intern
Intern
B
According to a 1996 survey by the National Association of College and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2019, 01:16
EducationAisle wrote:
gaurav2m wrote:

Hi Gaurav, it would still be D for concision.

Could you please elaborate more, as i can see the experts were saying that there is only ||ism error in this sentence but if we correct the ||ism in this sentence then why the Option E is wrong
VP
VP
P
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2019, 05:01
gaurav2m wrote:
if we correct the ||ism in this sentence then why the Option E is wrong

Hi Gaurav, if we change charging to charge in option E, it would not be wrong.

But given option D and changed option E (both of which would be correct), we would just go with the more concise option: Option D.

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com
GMAT Club Bot
Re: According to a 1996 survey by the National Association of College and   [#permalink] 18 Apr 2019, 05:01

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 26 posts ] 

According to a 1996 survey by the National Association of College and

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap