Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 21:13 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 21:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Levelx   Modifiersx   Use of Beingx               
Show Tags
Hide Tags
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1737 [175]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35486 [77]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [8]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [3]
Send PM
Re: In June of 1987, The Bridge of Trinquetaille, Vincent van Gogh's view [#permalink]
Kudos
C.

You need a comma after "Rhone" because that phrase is describing The Bridge of Trinquetaille. So were down to B, C, and E. B is wrong because which incorrectly modifies Rhone. C is better than E because it is more concise.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 5011 [3]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Re: In June of 1987, The Bridge of Trinquetaille, Vincent van Gogh's view [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
GMATBLACKBELT wrote:
In June of 1987, The Bridge of Trinquetaille, Vincent van Gogh's view of an iron ridge over the Rhone sold for $20.2million and it was the secnd highest price ever paid for a painting at auction.

A: Rhone sold for $20.2million and it was
B: Rhone, which sold for 20.2million, was
C: Rhone, was sold for 20.2million,
D: Rhone was sold for 20.2million, being
E: Rhone, sold for 20.2million, and was

xplain answers

nice. i like this question. there are 2 appositives that helped me pick C.

In June of 1987, The Bridge of Trinquetaille, Vincent van Gogh's view of an iron ridge over the Rhone, was sold for 20.2million, the second highest price ever paid for a painting at auction.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 492 [5]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
GMATBLACKBELT wrote:
In June of 1987, The Bridge of Trinquetaille, Vincent van Gogh's view of an iron ridge over the Rhone sold for $20.2million and it was the secnd highest price ever paid for a painting at auction.

xplain answers

Yes, C is right.

A - Pronoun reference error.
B - was is incorrect. - As per the stetement, the painting is still the 2nd highest .. but The option B implies that the painting is no more the second highest ...
C - Correct
D - Passive voice..
E - same reason of B.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [3]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
I believe the OA is C

(A) Rhone sold for $20.2 million and it was
Wrong : Here it is ambiguous, because not sure where it's pointing i.e. whether it's Rhone or iron bridge or The Bridge of Trinquetaille
(B) Rhone, which sold for $20.2 million, was
Wrong : Here which is pointing to Rhone rather than The Bridge of Trinquetaille
(C) Rhone, was sold for $20.2 million,
Correct:Because this implies that The Bridge of Trinquetaille was sold for $20.2 million,the second highest price ever paid for a painting at auction.
the second highest price ever paid for a painting at auction correctly modifies 20.2 million.
(D) Rhone was sold for $20.2 million, being
Wrong: Because this sentence says that being the second highest price ever paid for a painting at auction , the painting was sold for $20.2 million and that of course is not case here.
(E) Rhone, sold for $20.2 million, and was
Wrong: Here the two events are independent , sold for $20.2 million and the second highest price ever paid for a painting at auction, but that's not true over here 2nd is the cause of 1st.

Please correct me if I am wrong . More than happy to learn more from here :)

Originally posted by manojmakkatt on 21 Nov 2009, 05:14.
Last edited by manojmakkatt on 22 Nov 2009, 08:10, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Kudos
I think the answer is 'C'.
Words like 'It', 'being' etc are not required here and make the sentence ambiguous i.e. do they refer to $20.2 million or the painting ??? That's my take...

C clearly states that $20.2 million was the 'second highest price ever paid.....' which makes more sense.

I am a bit confused with the non-underlined part of the sentence... 'The Bridge of Trinquetaille' is referred as 'Vincent van Gogh's view of an iron bridge over the Rhone'. What does the 'view' actually mean here ?? I am assuming it's the same as a 'painting' in the art vocabulary???
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Kudos
kaptain, The Bridge of Trinquetaille is the name of the painting and the subject, and Vincent van Gogh's view of an iron bridge over the Rhone is used here to describe the painting/subject.
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Own Kudos [?]: 1123 [1]
Given Kudos: 432
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Kudos
C is best.

The Bridge of Trinquetaille cannot be "the second highest price ever paid for a painting at auction." The previous phrase needs to modify some monetary figure. C is the only answer choice that allows "$20.2 million" to be modified. The other choices modify the painting instead.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 143
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.75
WE:Consulting (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
the second highest price ever paid for a painting at auction.

Dear Mod what is the role of above in answer C.
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [4]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
kannu44 wrote:
the second highest price ever paid for a painting at auction.

Dear Mod what is the role of above in answer C.

An appositive, i.e. a noun (or noun phrase) modifying another noun (or noun phrase).

Here "the second highest price ever paid for a painting at auction" is a noun phrase ("price" is the noun preceded by an adjective, "the second highest" and followed by a past participle modifier "ever paid for a painting at auction"). This noun phrase refers to the noun "$20.2 million".

(P.S.: Do not mistake an appositive for an absolute phrase - an absolute phrase refers to a whole clause, though in form may be the same.)
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 969 [1]
Given Kudos: 199
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Kudos

- Statement - "Vincent van Gogh's view of an iron ridge over the Rhone" is describing "The Bridge of Trinquetaille" and hence there should be a comma after Rhone. Also it does not correctly refers to the bridge.

- Here Which refers to Rhone which is incorrect

- Correct - Comma is given after Rhone, and was sold is the correct verb form here

- Missing comma after a descriptive phrase and being is incorrect as well

- need was sold form of the verb here.

Hence, answer is C
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [0]
Given Kudos: 489
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
Send PM
Hi Experts,

In a and e, 'sold' is a past participle and not a verb, correct? Any tips on how do we check whether its a main verb or not? Thanks!
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
sdlife wrote:
In a and e, 'sold' is a past participle and not a verb, correct? Any tips on how do we check whether its a main verb or not? Thanks!

Hi sdlife, that's correct.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses a simple framework to distinguish between Simple Past Tense and Past Participle, its application and examples in significant detail. If someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1017 [1]
Given Kudos: 3851
Send PM
Kudos
GMATBLACKBELT wrote:
The Official Guide for GMAT Review, 10th Edition, 2003

Practice Question
Question No.: SC 35
Page: 658

In June of 1987, The Bridge of Trinquetaille, Vincent van Gogh's view of an iron ridge over the Rhone sold for $20.2 million and it was the second highest price ever paid for a painting at auction.

hey generis, can you please highlight the appositive in the above sentence ? :-) sometimes i get confused when we must use comma and when not :?

For example in the sentences below can you check if understand modifiers/commas concept corect...

In good years, the patchwork of green fields, that surrounds the San Joaquin Valley town bustles .. (surrounds modifies patchwork cause i added comma)

In good years, the patchwork of green fields that surround the San Joaquin Valley town bustle .. (surround modifies fields so we dont use comma )

appreciate your help:)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 307 [1]
Given Kudos: 273
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 630 Q44 V33
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V37
GMAT 3: 710 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.25
WE:Marketing (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Kudos
dave13 wrote:
GMATBLACKBELT wrote:
The Official Guide for GMAT Review, 10th Edition, 2003

Practice Question
Question No.: SC 35
Page: 658

In June of 1987, The Bridge of Trinquetaille, Vincent van Gogh's view of an iron ridge over the Rhone sold for $20.2 million and it was the second highest price ever paid for a painting at auction.

hey generis, can you please highlight the appositive in the above sentence ? :-) sometimes i get confused when we must use comma and when not :?

For example in the sentences below can you check if understand modifiers/commas concept corect...

In good years, the patchwork of green fields, that surrounds the San Joaquin Valley town bustles .. (surrounds modifies patchwork cause i added comma)

In good years, the patchwork of green fields that surround the San Joaquin Valley town bustle .. (surround modifies fields so we dont use comma )

appreciate your help:)

Basic rules:

1. You can not insert comma before that
2. Comma does mean nothing when you decide what part following modifier should "touch"
3. That/which are relative but not appositive pronouns
4. I read Anna Karenina, masterpiece by Tolstoy, in my room yesterday. - blue text is an example of appositive modifier.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2163 [0]
Given Kudos: 368
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 560 Q41 V26
GMAT 2: 550 Q43 V23
GMAT 3: 650 Q47 V33
GMAT 4: 650 Q44 V36
GMAT 5: 600 Q38 V35
GMAT 6: 710 Q47 V41
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Hi,

Can someone please explain why B, D and E are incorrect? I'm having issues retraining my brain to spot this.

I'm a native english speaker.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
dcummins wrote:
Hi,

Can someone please explain why B, D and E are incorrect? I'm having issues retraining my brain to spot this.

Both B and E are suggesting that The Bridge of Trinquetaille was the second highest price ever paid for a painting.

This is an incorrect comparison, since a painting cannot be a price.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2163 [0]
Given Kudos: 368
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 560 Q41 V26
GMAT 2: 550 Q43 V23
GMAT 3: 650 Q47 V33
GMAT 4: 650 Q44 V36
GMAT 5: 600 Q38 V35
GMAT 6: 710 Q47 V41
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
EducationAisle wrote:
dcummins wrote:
Hi,

Both B and E are suggesting that The Bridge of Trinquetaille was the second highest price ever paid for a painting.

This is an incorrect comparison, since a painting cannot be a price.

Thanks, but Is that really the case? The correct answer uses a similar construction, so I don't understand how your explanation works.

generis?
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts