GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 26 Aug 2019, 00:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

School selection

  new topic post reply Update application status  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 03 Feb 2018
Posts: 13
Location: India
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.2
School selection  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2019, 05:37
Hi,

I am an Indian guy and looking for MBA with specialization in 'clean energy'.Following is my profile:

Age- 25
GMAT SCORE- 730(Q49, V40)
GRADUATION- MECHANICAL ENGG.(COLLEGE - BIT MESRA)
WORK EX.- Project Operations(not a big name employer but the quality of work ex is good)

The criteria that I have used for school selection are:

1. Specialization in 'Clean Energy'
2. Chance of getting selected
3. Scholarship opportunities
4. Brand name of the university

Based on my profile and needs and research of past 2 months I have only selected the following 2 schools for application in round 1 this year -

1. MCCOMBS SCHOOL OF BUSINESS - this is the best program for me as it uses financial markets to generate an understanding of energy markets.
2. INDIAN SCHOOL OF BUSINESS - this is my safety school

Can someone please suggest some other schools?
Director
Director
avatar
G
Joined: 29 Aug 2010
Posts: 568
Re: School selection  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2019, 05:57
nitesh1357,

Apart from these, you can also explore Fuqua, Mays, Rice, and UNC. Also read here for a European MBA option.

A note (sort of a disclaimer) on the above is that it's more from the larger Energy perspective. On that aspect, would also recommend doing extensive research - clean energy is not a big recruiter of international grads even from top schools.

Hope this helps some.

Cheers,
_________________
MG (Manish Gupta)|The MBA Crystal Ball Team

Website: http://www.mbacrystalball.com
Email: mcb at mbacrystalball dot com
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 03 Feb 2018
Posts: 13
Location: India
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.2
School selection  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2019, 06:39
MG4MBACrystalBall

Thanks for the school suggestion.

My research tells me that it would be difficult to land a job in clean energy sector. So I have planned to convert internships into job opportunities. I have also planned to network mostly with people associated with clean energy industries.i have also been reading books and following websites to enhance my industry knowledge.

If even after my efforts I am unable to land a job i plan on breaking into the industry as an 'analyst' as I have heard that there is huge demand of 'business analyst' type of jobs in almost all companies.

what do you think? Am I being realsitic?
INSEAD School Moderator
User avatar
D
Status: MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Joined: 24 Mar 2015
Posts: 2247
Farrell D Hehn: MBA
Re: School selection  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2019, 07:19
RSM is the best for this specialization.

Posted from my mobile device
_________________
Farrell Dyan, MBA Admissions Consultant
Verified reviews posted on http://MBAPrepCoach.com
Director
Director
avatar
G
Joined: 29 Aug 2010
Posts: 568
Re: School selection  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2019, 09:03
nitesh1357 wrote:
MG4MBACrystalBall

Thanks for the school suggestion.

My research tells me that it would be difficult to land a job in clean energy sector. So I have planned to convert internships into job opportunities. I have also planned to network mostly with people associated with clean energy industries.i have also been reading books and following websites to enhance my industry knowledge.

If even after my efforts I am unable to land a job i plan on breaking into the industry as an 'analyst' as I have heard that there is huge demand of 'business analyst' type of jobs in almost all companies.

what do you think? Am I being realsitic?


nitesh1357, the plan feels still extremely internal - meaning, you don't seem to have connected with current students/recent alums to get a sense of the on-ground realities. Do assess as to how do internships work and also, whether they get converted.

BA is a super generic nomenclature - you would also need a lot more clarity on what that actually means.

So, task cut out and more importantly, think of how you will position yourself in your applications too.
_________________
MG (Manish Gupta)|The MBA Crystal Ball Team

Website: http://www.mbacrystalball.com
Email: mcb at mbacrystalball dot com
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 03 Feb 2018
Posts: 13
Location: India
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.2
Re: School selection  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2019, 09:32
MBAPrepCoach

Are you talking about the 1 year international MBA at RSM? The program does have a specialization in Renewable energy and does fit the bill. It also has great diversity.

The only problem is the lack of internship opportunities due to the smaller length of the program.

I am considering about applying to RSM during R1.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 03 Feb 2018
Posts: 13
Location: India
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.2
Re: School selection  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2019, 09:52
MG4MBACrystalBall
I had a really long talk with a current friend of mine who is doing 'Energy Management' from UT,Dallas. He said that the better way to break into clean energy is by joining Stanford/UCB/UCLA(basically top colleges in California). Since I don't feel that my GMAT is 'good enough' i am not applying in any of these.

There seems to be a 50% chance of the internship being converted into full-time job.I guess i am taking a bit of risk here.

By BA I meant like 'Energy Analyst' kind of.

You are right MG4MBACrystalBall, I do need to clearly articulte my post-mba goal.It does seem a bit difficult to sell my post-mba goal to an adcom.Can someone guide me?
Director
Director
avatar
G
Joined: 29 Aug 2010
Posts: 568
Re: School selection  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2019, 09:56
1
nitesh1357 wrote:
MG4MBACrystalBall
I had a really long talk with a current friend of mine who is doing 'Energy Management' from UT,Dallas. He said that the better way to break into clean energy is by joining Stanford/UCB/UCLA(basically top colleges in California). Since I don't feel that my GMAT is 'good enough' i am not applying in any of these.

There seems to be a 50% chance of the internship being converted into full-time job.I guess i am taking a bit of risk here.

By BA I meant like 'Energy Analyst' kind of.

It does seem a bit difficult to sell my post-mba goal to an adcom.Can someone guide me?


nitesh1357 that's good and do more. Don't go in dark.

For a strong story formulation and overall strategy, check this.
_________________
MG (Manish Gupta)|The MBA Crystal Ball Team

Website: http://www.mbacrystalball.com
Email: mcb at mbacrystalball dot com
INSEAD School Moderator
User avatar
D
Status: MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Joined: 24 Mar 2015
Posts: 2247
Farrell D Hehn: MBA
Re: School selection  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2019, 13:10
1
nitesh1357 they do offer an internship in the final trimester: https://www.rsm.nl/mba/international-full-time-mba/curriculum-teaching/
See Sept-Dec.
nitesh1357 wrote:
MBAPrepCoach

Are you talking about the 1 year international MBA at RSM? The program does have a specialization in Renewable energy and does fit the bill. It also has great diversity.

The only problem is the lack of internship opportunities due to the smaller length of the program.

I am considering about applying to RSM during R1.

_________________
Farrell Dyan, MBA Admissions Consultant
Verified reviews posted on http://MBAPrepCoach.com
GMAT Club Bot
Re: School selection   [#permalink] 02 Aug 2019, 13:10
Display posts from previous: Sort by

School selection

  new topic post reply Update application status  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne