Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 17:00 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 17:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35497 [13]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35497 [6]
Send PM
General Discussion
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 263 [1]
Given Kudos: 84
GMAT 1: 650 Q46 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 2.58
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [1]
Given Kudos: 53
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V37
GPA: 4
Send PM
Scientists have observed large cracks that go on for miles in gigantic [#permalink]
Kudos
Scientists have observed large cracks that go on for miles in gigantic Antarctica icebergs, which are consistent with the predictions of global warming.

A) gigantic Antarctica icebergs, which are consistent with the predictions of global warming.
which is illogically referring to icebergs.

B) gigantic icebergs in Antarctica, findings consistent with the predictions of global warming.

C) gigantic icebergs in Antarctica, consistent with the predictions of global warming.
It should be findings consistent with the prediction. Noun + noun modifier can modify previous clause.

D) gigantic Antarctica icebergs, where the predictions of global warming agree with these findings.
It should be gigantic icebergs in Antarctica

E) gigantic Antarctica icebergs, findings consistent with the global warming predictions.
It should be gigantic icebergs in Antarctica

generis. Thanks for all the explanation in SC butler. I appreciate all the efforts you take in writing a detailed explanation. I get to learn a lot from them.
Can you help me in improving comparison questions?
I always get confused in two choices in question like the one mentioned below.

All major Canadian cities reported significantly higher hotel occupancy in the four months from June through September last year than that of a similar period a year earlier
(A) that of a similar period
(B) a similar period
(C) those of a similar period's
(D) during a similar period
(E) that during a similar period

I am not able to decide between option D and option E.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 191 [1]
Given Kudos: 334
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 500 Q42 V17
GMAT 2: 590 Q47 V26
Send PM
Scientists have observed large cracks that go on for miles in gigantic [#permalink]
Kudos
Scientists (N) have observed (V) large cracks that (cracks) go on for miles in gigantic Antarctica icebergs, which are consistent with the predictions of global warming.
--'gigantic Antarctica icebergs', gigantic is adjective trying to modify 'Antarctica Icebergs' but too short is incorrect in gmat.
--what is gigantic? Antarctica or icebergs in Antarctica? It must give precise meaning.
--Moreover usage of , which is incorrect as it's touching icebergs...iceberges were not consistent with the predictions.

A) gigantic Antarctica icebergs, which are consistent with the predictions of global warming.--Incorrect due to reasons mentioned above.

B) ........gigantic icebergs in Antarctica, (IC)
findings(N)
consistent with the predictions of global warming.(Noun Modifier)
--IC, Noun+ Noun modifier --Correct
--The sentence is much more comprehensible.

C) gigantic icebergs in Antarctica, consistent with the predictions of global warming.
--what was consistent Antarctica?, Icebergs? Cracks?

D) gigantic Antarctica icebergs, where the predictions of global warming agree with these findings.
--Where is always use for places
--These findings? How many findings are there?

E) gigantic Antarctica icebergs, findings consistent with the global warming predictions.
--This option was close to B but since Verbal forms are preferred over Noun forms, option B is much better than E.
-- the predictions of global warming > global warming predictions
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35497 [0]
Send PM
Re: Scientists have observed large cracks that go on for miles in gigantic [#permalink]
Expert Reply
himanshugoyal26 wrote:

generis. Thanks for all the explanation in SC butler. I appreciate all the efforts you take in writing a detailed explanation. I get to learn a lot from them.
Can you help me in improving comparison questions?
I always get confused in two choices in question like the one mentioned below.

All major Canadian cities reported significantly higher hotel occupancy in the four months from June through September last year than that of a similar period a year earlier
(A) that of a similar period
(B) a similar period
(C) those of a similar period's
(D) during a similar period
(E) that during a similar period

I am not able to decide between option D and option E.

himanshugoyal26 , you are most welcome.

This kind of comparison is meant to confuse.

Since you got the question down to two answers, try plugging each of them into the sentence.

D) All major Canadian cities reported significantly higher hotel occupancy in the four months from June through September last year than during a similar period a year earlier.

E) All major Canadian cities reported significantly higher hotel occupancy in the four months from June through September last year than that during a similar period a year earlier.

You could argue that:
(1) in [a time period] is parallel to during [a time period], but in is not parallel to that
(2) Answer D maintains parallelism because time periods are under comparison and we need two prepositions (IN and DURING) in order to signal that these are the items under comparison.
(3) what is the word "that" doing in (E), anyway? If it is not needed and makes the time period comparison any less clear, dump the option.

The threads on this and a similar official question are really good.
The thread for this question: https://gmatclub.com/forum/all-major-ca ... 44744.html
The thread for the similar official question: https://gmatclub.com/forum/most-of-the- ... l#p1867870

I cannot really do justice to a quite general question about a really huge topic on this thread.
If you can articulate your very specific questions about those threads here, on this thread, I can certainly try to help. :)
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35497 [0]
Send PM
Re: Scientists have observed large cracks that go on for miles in gigantic [#permalink]
Expert Reply
The official explanation is here.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts