GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Dec 2018, 10:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
2526272829301
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
303112345
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Prep Hour

     December 16, 2018

     December 16, 2018

     03:00 PM EST

     04:00 PM EST

    Strategies and techniques for approaching featured GMAT topics
  • FREE Quant Workshop by e-GMAT!

     December 16, 2018

     December 16, 2018

     07:00 AM PST

     09:00 AM PST

    Get personalized insights on how to achieve your Target Quant Score.

Scored a 740 !

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 04 Sep 2017
Posts: 6
Scored a 740 !  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Nov 2018, 01:04
2
Splits:
740 -> V42,Q48, 5/8 on IR, 5/6 AWA

Profile:
23 year old Indian, Male, Engineer working as an analytics consultant.

Preparation:
Starting out, I took mocks to diagnose where i stood and I was at the ~590-600 level. Joined GMAT classes at Jamboree Chennai (Nungambakkam branch). It was a 3 month program and was very structured, aided with concise material. Did not do a lot of self prep, but diligently attended the classes and was focused during them. 3 Months passed, and I got busy with work (Ideally should've taken a couple mocks and written my GMAT then). A couple of months later, I realized i had my deadlines approaching and so i just booked my exam giving myself a month's time. During this time, I just used the OG for verbal, and Jamboree's material for Quant. Took some mocks and got all kinds of scores from ~650-710. Finally wrote my GMAT (Was super hard ! More than any of my mocks) and got an unexpected 740 ! Was definitely not expecting more than a 700-720, But hey :)

And looking back, things i think that helped me:
-> Knowing the right approach to SC questions save loads of time in Verbal. A lot of material is out there, but just attending Jamboree (Faculty - Srivatsan) classes was 80% work done (given you have a reasonable foundation in grammar). Also, I feel OG is all you mostly need if you've nailed down the approach, and taken enough timed tests.
-> Approach to data sufficiency questions (Especially inequalities and equations related; I got 6-8 of these in my GMAT). Jamboree (Faculty- JaiGanesh) definitely helped me out here. My Quant score was also not that great, owing to my lack of prep. Quant definitely is a product of time/effort you put in (Unlike verbal where you can plateau easily).
-> Completely relaxed during the exam, zero pressure. Can't stress this enough.
-> I took the GMAT official mocks in the final week. I guess this was the right thing to do, since they are the most accurate predictors IMO.

Thanks for reading !
Manager
Manager
avatar
G
Joined: 15 Feb 2018
Posts: 107
Re: Scored a 740 !  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Nov 2018, 03:21
1
There are lots of posts where people are tracking a score in mocks and then score 30 points lower. It's always nice to see when they are 30 points higher.
Nice score, well done
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
P
Joined: 18 Jun 2018
Posts: 254
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Scored a 740 !  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Nov 2018, 04:12
1
Gauthamkailash

Nice score!
Best of luck for your applications.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 01 Jul 2018
Posts: 7
Re: Scored a 740 !  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Nov 2018, 05:03
Finally I see a post from someone who took the test in Chennai. Mine is scheduled for next Saturday and I'm beyond nervous, especially the part where you have mentioned that the actual test was Super hard!

Congrats on the score!

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 04 Sep 2017
Posts: 6
Re: Scored a 740 !  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Nov 2018, 05:43
Achuuuuuuu wrote:
Finally I see a post from someone who took the test in Chennai. Mine is scheduled for next Saturday and I'm beyond nervous, especially the part where you have mentioned that the actual test was Super hard!

Congrats on the score!

Posted from my mobile device

Good Luck ! If it's the Pearson center in Nungambakkam, I would recommend you take a sweater as the AC gets cold there :D Btw, If the test gets harder it probably means you're on a good streak of right answers. Would advise not to give up at any moment however crappy you feel you've done.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 09 Jun 2018
Posts: 185
Location: United States
GPA: 3.95
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Scored a 740 !  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Nov 2018, 19:57
740 is Awesome! Congrats Gauthamkailash!
Good tips as well. Surprised that you got as many as 6 questions on inequalities and equations though!

Good luck with applications and I hope you get into your dream school! :thumbup:
_________________

If you found this relevant and useful, please Smash that Kudos button!

Director
Director
User avatar
P
Joined: 14 Dec 2017
Posts: 518
Location: India
Premium Member
Re: Scored a 740 !  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Nov 2018, 17:25
Congratulations!! excellent score!

Thanks for the debrief.

Lately, many have noted that the test was a lot harder than the GMAT Prep tests. I wonder whether GMAT has increased their average difficulty level. Anyways, you did pretty well, scoring more on our Actual test than on the mocks. Kudos!!

All the best for your applications!

Cheers,
GyM
_________________

New to GMAT Club - https://gmatclub.com/forum/new-to-gmat-club-need-help-271131.html#p2098335

Director
Director
User avatar
V
Joined: 11 Feb 2015
Posts: 618
Premium Member CAT Tests
Scored a 740 !  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Nov 2018, 07:50
Congratulations on a wonderful score. Thanks for a very nice debrief.

You have mentioned "Took some mocks and got all kinds of scores from ~650-710. Finally wrote my GMAT (Was super hard ! More than any of my mocks) and got an unexpected 740 !"

Your debrief is like solve the Paradox (CR) Question. According to me the GMAT did not suddenly get difficult. Since you were performing well you got difficult questions. Getting difficult questions on GMAT is sign of you performing well!! I hope you get the point I make!! [ GyMrAT - since you also raised this query, I hope this explanation helps]

You have mentioned that " Knowing the right approach to SC questions save loads of time in Verbal." - Could you share your strategy pls!!

Also you have mentioned that you gave official mocks during the last week? Could you please share how many? Generally it is recommended that one should not give more than one mock per week and not to give one just 2-3 days before the main exam. That's why I am checking with you.

All the best!!
_________________

"Please hit :thumbup: +1 Kudos if you like this post" :student_man:

_________________
Manish :geek:

"Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me"

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 04 Sep 2017
Posts: 6
Scored a 740 !  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2018, 00:55
CAMANISHPARMAR Thanks !

I took 4 mocks spaced with 3 day intervals, This is ~how it went - M1 *** M2 *** M3 *** M4 *** GMAT.
M1 (650) and M2 (660) were the free Manhattan and Veritas mocks. M3 (710) and M4 (690) were the free GMAT official mocks. The way i tightly spaced my mocks were out of pressure. Many might suggest that it is not ideal to take so many mocks in a short time, since you don't considerably improve within 2 weeks. On a side-note, 3P mocks were definitely harder than the GMAT Prep mocks. And yes, i do suggest not doing any mocks (Or even any prep) in the last 2 days, to avoid mental fatigue.

Regarding the SC strategy, I highly recommend Jamboree (Faculty - Srivatsan) to practically learn these strategies. Not really trying to market Jamboree, Just my personal opinion . Strategies like:
1) Learning to eliminate answer options by scanning vertically, horizontally, using the famous 2-3 split method etc. This is mostly common sense, but the emphasis on "approach" should be there when you're practicing.
2) Before reading the full sentence, Look at the common places where errors are found: After the Comma, right before the comma, towards the end of the sentence.
3) Taking calculated risks when in doubt: Prefer active to passive, Idiomatic preferences, ALWAYS prefer the simpler sentence.
I've not gone through a lot of material to draw comparisons, But i have gone through the SC grail. Although it was comprehensive, I felt that would've been a waste of time relatively in my case. I still suggest it for those who don't have access to Jamboree.
Director
Director
User avatar
V
Joined: 11 Feb 2015
Posts: 618
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Scored a 740 !  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2018, 07:22
Gauthamkailash wrote:
CAMANISHPARMAR Thanks !

I took 4 mocks spaced with 3 day intervals, This is ~how it went - M1 *** M2 *** M3 *** M4 *** GMAT.
M1 (650) and M2 (660) were the free Manhattan and Veritas mocks. M3 (710) and M4 (690) were the free GMAT official mocks. The way i tightly spaced my mocks were out of pressure. Many might suggest that it is not ideal to take so many mocks in a short time, since you don't considerably improve within 2 weeks. On a side-note, 3P mocks were definitely harder than the GMAT Prep mocks. And yes, i do suggest not doing any mocks (Or even any prep) in the last 2 days, to avoid mental fatigue.

Regarding the SC strategy, I highly recommend Jamboree (Faculty - Srivatsan) to practically learn these strategies. Not really trying to market Jamboree, Just my personal opinion . Strategies like:
1) Learning to eliminate answer options by scanning vertically, horizontally, using the famous 2-3 split method etc. This is mostly common sense, but the emphasis on "approach" should be there when you're practicing.
2) Before reading the full sentence, Look at the common places where errors are found: After the Comma, right before the comma, towards the end of the sentence.
3) Taking calculated risks when in doubt: Prefer active to passive, Idiomatic preferences, ALWAYS prefer the simpler sentence.
I've not gone through a lot of material to draw comparisons, But i have gone through the SC grail. Although it was comprehensive, I felt that would've been a waste of time relatively in my case. I still suggest it for those who don't have access to Jamboree.


Thanks for your reply and sharing the details. Congratulations once again and wishing you all the very best for your admissions.
_________________

"Please hit :thumbup: +1 Kudos if you like this post" :student_man:

_________________
Manish :geek:

"Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me"

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 08 Oct 2018
Posts: 27
Location: India
GPA: 3.1
Re: Scored a 740 !  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2018, 07:49
Gauthamkailash

Congratulations that's a really good score.

Good luck on your applications

Regards
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
P
Joined: 04 Jun 2018
Posts: 358
Location: Germany
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.6
WE: Analyst (Transportation)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Scored a 740 !  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2018, 08:52
Gauthamkailash wrote:
CAMANISHPARMAR Thanks !

I took 4 mocks spaced with 3 day intervals, This is ~how it went - M1 *** M2 *** M3 *** M4 *** GMAT.
M1 (650) and M2 (660) were the free Manhattan and Veritas mocks. M3 (710) and M4 (690) were the free GMAT official mocks. The way i tightly spaced my mocks were out of pressure. Many might suggest that it is not ideal to take so many mocks in a short time, since you don't considerably improve within 2 weeks. On a side-note, 3P mocks were definitely harder than the GMAT Prep mocks. And yes, i do suggest not doing any mocks (Or even any prep) in the last 2 days, to avoid mental fatigue.

Regarding the SC strategy, I highly recommend Jamboree (Faculty - Srivatsan) to practically learn these strategies. Not really trying to market Jamboree, Just my personal opinion . Strategies like:
1) Learning to eliminate answer options by scanning vertically, horizontally, using the famous 2-3 split method etc. This is mostly common sense, but the emphasis on "approach" should be there when you're practicing.
2) Before reading the full sentence, Look at the common places where errors are found: After the Comma, right before the comma, towards the end of the sentence.
3) Taking calculated risks when in doubt: Prefer active to passive, Idiomatic preferences, ALWAYS prefer the simpler sentence.
I've not gone through a lot of material to draw comparisons, But i have gone through the SC grail. Although it was comprehensive, I felt that would've been a waste of time relatively in my case. I still suggest it for those who don't have access to Jamboree.


Thanks for the additional details!

All the best for your applications, your GMAT score is above average for every school out there (including H/S/W) congrats!
_________________

A couple of things that helped me in verbal:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/verbal-strategies-268700.html#p2082192

Gmat Prep CAT #1: V42, Q34, 630
Gmat Prep CAT #2: V46, Q35, 660
Gmat Prep CAT #3: V41, Q42, 680

On the mission to improve my quant score, all help is appreciated! :)

Manager
Manager
avatar
G
Joined: 28 Nov 2017
Posts: 78
Location: India
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
CAT Tests
Re: Scored a 740 !  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2018, 11:01
Gauthamkailash wrote:
Splits:
740 -> V42,Q48, 5/8 on IR, 5/6 AWA

Profile:
23 year old Indian, Male, Engineer working as an analytics consultant.

Preparation:
Starting out, I took mocks to diagnose where i stood and I was at the ~590-600 level. Joined GMAT classes at Jamboree Chennai (Nungambakkam branch). It was a 3 month program and was very structured, aided with concise material. Did not do a lot of self prep, but diligently attended the classes and was focused during them. 3 Months passed, and I got busy with work (Ideally should've taken a couple mocks and written my GMAT then). A couple of months later, I realized i had my deadlines approaching and so i just booked my exam giving myself a month's time. During this time, I just used the OG for verbal, and Jamboree's material for Quant. Took some mocks and got all kinds of scores from ~650-710. Finally wrote my GMAT (Was super hard ! More than any of my mocks) and got an unexpected 740 ! Was definitely not expecting more than a 700-720, But hey :)

And looking back, things i think that helped me:
-> Knowing the right approach to SC questions save loads of time in Verbal. A lot of material is out there, but just attending Jamboree (Faculty - Srivatsan) classes was 80% work done (given you have a reasonable foundation in grammar). Also, I feel OG is all you mostly need if you've nailed down the approach, and taken enough timed tests.
-> Approach to data sufficiency questions (Especially inequalities and equations related; I got 6-8 of these in my GMAT). Jamboree (Faculty- JaiGanesh) definitely helped me out here. My Quant score was also not that great, owing to my lack of prep. Quant definitely is a product of time/effort you put in (Unlike verbal where you can plateau easily).
-> Completely relaxed during the exam, zero pressure. Can't stress this enough.
-> I took the GMAT official mocks in the final week. I guess this was the right thing to do, since they are the most accurate predictors IMO.

Thanks for reading !


Thanks for the debrief! Excellent score.
I'm from Delhi, and I was about to join Jamboree, but then people warned me against doing so. But I think it depends from person to person.
I wonder if the new GMAT has become harder than the earlier one :roll:
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 04 Sep 2017
Posts: 6
Re: Scored a 740 !  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2018, 20:01
1
Prateekj05

Jamboree has great, concise material. Covers almost exclusively ONLY GMAT ground, hence you can be sure that your prep is efficient if you follow their plan.
But regarding faculty, I can only vouch for the ones in Chennai whose class I've attended.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 16 Apr 2018
Posts: 9
Location: Thailand
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: NUS '21, NTU '22, HKU
GMAT 1: 610 Q46 V28
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V38
Re: Scored a 740 !  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2018, 23:19
Your score range in mocks is pretty similar to mine, hopefully I score better in the actual exam as well.
Congrats on great score and thanks for sharing.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Scored a 740 ! &nbs [#permalink] 25 Nov 2018, 23:19
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Scored a 740 !

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, EMPOWERgmatRichC, bb



Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.