GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Oct 2019, 06:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Since 1868, approximately thirty-five shipwrecks have been recorded of

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Current Student
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Since 1868, approximately thirty-five shipwrecks have been recorded of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 06 Mar 2019, 00:42
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

54% (01:15) correct 46% (01:18) wrong based on 603 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Since 1868, approximately thirty-five shipwrecks have been recorded off Alaska, a region known for their treacherous seas—less than those recorded off the coast of Massachusetts.

A. their treacherous seas—less than that

B. its treacherous seas, a number fewer than that

C. its treacherous seas, which is less than those

D. its treacherous seas—fewer than have been

E. their treacherous seas, fewer than the ones

Day 22 Question of the Verbal Contest: Race Against the GMAT Club Timer
Please make sure to post a brief reply without revealing your solution to enter the contest!

Originally posted by souvik101990 on 11 Aug 2015, 10:59.
Last edited by Bunuel on 06 Mar 2019, 00:42, edited 1 time in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G
Re: Since 1868, approximately thirty-five shipwrecks have been recorded of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jun 2017, 17:07
Skywalker18 wrote:
GMATNinja , EMPOWERgmatRichC , sayantanc2k , daagh ,mikemcgarry , other experts -
I am stuck between options B and D. In B doesn't "a number fewer than that" modify thirty-five?

What is the use of Dash?

Dear Skywalker18,

I see that the brilliant sayantanc2k already gave you a good response. I will add a few thoughts. :-)

First, about (B), I would say there are three categories
1) uncountable, for which we use "more" and "less" (less talk and more action)
2) countable, for which we use "more" and "fewer" (more women and fewer men)
3) numerals, for which we use "greater" and "less" (\(\pi\) is less than 4 and greater than 3)

The dash, technically know as an em-dash, is a piece of punctuation that indicates the continuation of a thought, even though there's, as it were, a break in the grammatical flow. This may be an example or a further clarification.
I went home early--I was coming down with the flu.
We also use a pair of dashes to set off either examples or an aside comment.
Early 18th century composers--Bach, Handel, Vivaldi--used the concerto as their primary orchestral form. (examples)
Reagan deregulated savings and loans banks--what a disastrous decision!--and thereby precipitated the S& L crises a few years later. (an aside comment)

Here, in (D), the phrase "fewer than have been recorded off the coast of Massachusetts" is an afterthought. It could be omitted, and the sentence would be grammatically whole. This extra information adds further significance to the facts stated in the sentence, and putting this comment after a dash gives it a kind of dramatic flair.

Much of the use of the dash concerns its rhetorical effect. I will remind you that the GMAT SC absolutely does not test punctuation. If you read sophisticated writing, you will develop intuition for the dash, but this is more than you need to know for the GMAT.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)
Most Helpful Community Reply
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Operations, Technology
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Reviews Badge
Re: Since 1868, approximately thirty-five shipwrecks have been recorded of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2015, 23:17
souvik101990 wrote:

Since 1868, approximately thirty-five shipwrecks have been recorded off Alaska, a region known for their treacherous seas—less than those recorded off the coast of Massachusetts.

Day 22 Question of the Verbal Contest: Race Against the GMAT Club Timer
Please make sure to post a brief reply without revealing your solution to enter the contest!

Narrowed down to B/D

Tenses play a major role here...

Since the original argument mentions "since" and the process is going on we have to use Present Perfect Continuous i.e. "have been"

Option - D
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
S
WE: Analyst (Internet and New Media)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2015, 11:52

A. their treacherous seas—less than that=>wrongly refers to shipwrecks; should be its

B. its treacherous seas, a number fewer than that=>there should be a hyphen here

C. its treacherous seas, which is less than those=>wrongly refers to seas

D. its treacherous seas—fewer than have been=>sounds good

E. their treacherous seas, fewer than the ones=>their wrongly refers to ship-wrecks; should be its

Rgds.
Retired Moderator
S
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2015, 10:37
Quote:

Since Alaska is a region, singular verb it is needed. not plural verb their.
In option C, Which wrongly refers to modifies to treacherous seas(plural subject).
Between B and D, I picked up B as i felt that a number would refer to 35 shipwrecks.......i.e., subject of the sentence.

but I'm still confused between B and D.

Eagerly waiting for OA and explanation.
Verbal Forum Moderator
V
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Kelley '20, ISB '19
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2017, 10:24
GMATNinja , EMPOWERgmatRichC , sayantanc2k , daagh ,mikemcgarry , other experts -
I am stuck between options B and D. In B doesn't "a number fewer than that" modify thirty-five?

What is the use of Dash?
D
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 12 Jun 2017, 09:36
mikemcgarry wrote:
I will remind you that the GMAT SC absolutely does not test punctuation. If you read sophisticated writing, you will develop intuition for the dash, but this is more than you need to know for the GMAT.

I can't even begin to express how enthusiastically I agree with mikemcgarry here. Some people make their living as "style experts", debating the nuances of English grammar and usage and punctuation -- and those guys can't even agree on how to use dashes or commas. And the GMAT wisely goes out of its way NOT to test you on punctuation, other than some very basic stuff on semicolon usage.

So what should you do whenever you see a dash on the GMAT? Look for other issues. There are exactly zero official GMAT questions that test your understanding of how to use dashes. So don't worry about them! :-D

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal: RC | CR | SC

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars: Series 1: SC & CR Fundamentals | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset | Series 3: Word Problem Bootcamp + Next-Level SC & CR

SC articles & resources: How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

RC, CR, and other articles & resources: All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations: All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply? Hit the request verbal experts' reply button; be specific about your question, and tag @GMATNinja. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.
SVP
SVP
V
Concentration: International Business, Operations
Schools: INSEAD Jan '19
GPA: 3.01
WE: Engineering (Real Estate)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2019, 23:06
[quote="souvik101990"]Image

Region "singular" So we need singular pronoun "its". Eliminate A and E.

B. Appositive "a number..." wrongly modifying "treacherous seas" instead of modifying "35 shipwrecks". Eliminate B.

C. "which" is wrongly modifying "treacherous seas". Eliminate.

D. Correct.

Re: Since 1868, approximately thirty-five shipwrecks have been recorded of   [#permalink] 06 Apr 2019, 23:06

Since 1868, approximately thirty-five shipwrecks have been recorded of

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics