Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 17:47 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 17:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Status:Do not worry. You are not going to get out of this world alive anyway :)
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GPA: 3.89
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Status:Do not worry. You are not going to get out of this world alive anyway :)
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GPA: 3.89
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 313 [0]
Given Kudos: 286
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V40
GRE 1: Q800 V800
GPA: 3
WE:Operations (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Re: Sloan 2012 - Calling MBA All Applicants [#permalink]
stanforditis wrote:
Would you have the transcript of the chat by any chance?

I doubt any one would have it, because, from what I recollect, the screen keeps scrolling.

Here's a link to Sloan's Chat FAQs: https://mitsloan.mit.edu/mba/faq/transcripts.php
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 216 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.37
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
So I'm somewhat surprised that no one has commented on this yet.

Each of the essays has its length defined as 500 words, limited to one page... at 12pt font, 500 words is about a page and a quarter (using block formatting).

Are people using 11pt font? I don't want to have to delete the line breaks and indent paragraphs in order to squeeze onto one page.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GPA: 3.3
WE:Other (Other)
Send PM
jko wrote:

Each of the essays has its length defined as 500 words, limited to one page... at 12pt font, 500 words is about a page and a quarter (using block formatting).

Are people using 11pt font? I don't want to have to delete the line breaks and indent paragraphs in order to squeeze onto one page.

The address header on the cover letter is giving me the most trouble as it eats up a significant chunk of the page. I had to go down to 11 pt and added 1.1 spacing between the lines to clean it up a bit. Did the application strictly ask for 12 pt?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
Send PM
I cannot find anywhere any mention of the 12 pt policy on their website. Where did you see this?

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 216 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.37
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
isst80 wrote:
jko wrote:

The address header on the cover letter is giving me the most trouble as it eats up a significant chunk of the page. I had to go down to 11 pt and added 1.1 spacing between the lines to clean it up a bit. Did the application strictly ask for 12 pt?

No I don't think the application specified font size, but it seems a bit silly to add a one page limit if you can make the font 5pt. Maybe they print out all the applications and so they limit it to one page to save paper, though collating would do the same thing.

I consider 12pt font to be the standard font size for most correspondence, which is why I'd default to 12pt, but since they don't specify I'm sure 11 works just fine.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
jko wrote:
No I don't think the application specified font size, but it seems a bit silly to add a one page limit if you can make the font 5pt. Maybe they print out all the applications and so they limit it to one page to save paper, though collating would do the same thing.

I consider 12pt font to be the standard font size for most correspondence, which is why I'd default to 12pt, but since they don't specify I'm sure 11 works just fine.

I'll go for that then... there's no way the 12 pt is gonna work on the cover letter...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: General Management
GPA: 3.76
WE:Science (Other)
Send PM
Can someone explain what exactly, they mean by "standard business correspondence"? I take it from the discussion here the consensus is that you should have your address, and the address of the admissions office at the top of the letter, then start "Dear Mr. Garcia", are there any other format things I should be aware of?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [1]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GPA: 3.3
WE:Other (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
spacecurves wrote:
Can someone explain what exactly, they mean by "standard business correspondence"? I take it from the discussion here the consensus is that you should have your address, and the address of the admissions office at the top of the letter, then start "Dear Mr. Garcia", are there any other format things I should be aware of?

I'm certainly not qualified to explain "standard business correspondence" but I can tell you what I did.

I used the cover letter as my Why MBA / Why Sloan / What now essay. I basically re-worked my HBS/Booth essays into a more formal tone. I started off with the obligatory "I am seeking a place at MIT Sloan...etc."

Next, I launched into my future goals and briefly highlighted my accomplishments to 1) qualified myself for my stated goal and 2) provide a sneak preview for the topics of my remaining essays.

After that I explained in detail how one of my accomplishments had an impact on my organization. Finally, I told them why I wanted to study at MIT and ended off with "Thank you for your time and consideration"

Bottom line: I started and ended the letter in typical cover letter fashion and I reused my HBS/Booth essays for the body.

This may not be correct but I'm pretty burnt out of applications at this point. If anyone has suggestions, feel free to share.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: General Management
GPA: 3.76
WE:Science (Other)
Send PM
Thanks isst, although I was more asking about formatting rather than content.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Alea jacta est... Fingers crossed, let's wait !
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Hi all,

I am a current Sloan student and LGO Fellow. For those of you who do not know, LGO (Leaders for Global Operations) is MIT's dual degree program with a focus in Operations (Sloan and the MIT School of Engineering). Personally, in addition to the Sloan MBA, I am working on my MS in Mechanical Engineering. Please feel free to PM me or post with any questions or really any thoughts that you may have about the program.

I wanted to make sure everyone here knew about the upcoming LGO Ambassador day (the main visit day). It is a great time to see if MIT-LGO is a good fit for you and experience a day in the life of a LGO.

Here is some basic information:
Event: Experience MIT Leaders for Global Operations, Ambassador Day and Information Evening
Where: MIT
Date: Monday, November 7, 2011
Time: 10:00AM-5:30PM
RSVP: Email lgo@mit.edu.

The following blog has much more detail about the event: https://lgo-blog.mit.edu/2011/09/lgo-ambassador-day-and-information.html

Hope to see you there,
Zach
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.65
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Lanthane wrote:
jko wrote:

I'll go for that then... there's no way the 12 pt is gonna work on the cover letter...

The one page limit only applies to the essays, not for the cover letter.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Send PM
The adcom doesn't actually print the applications anymore according to the info session I attended on Monday.. they use iPads :)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools: MIT (Sloan) - Class of 2012
Send PM
biglove wrote:
@maxtor

how is recruiting this year at sloan? with all this talk about the economy it would be good to hear about what's happening on the ground. did you intern/get an offer? are you recruiting now? how is the vibe regarding getting jobs on campus.

thanks much

Compared to last year ... recruiting is up in pretty much everything. I hear Finance is pretty rough because of the industry, but when you literally look at the same tech or consulting company, this class sent a lot more interns than the previous class.

Wish I had hardcore statistics, but CDO will be putting that up soon enough.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
abramson wrote:
golantrevize wrote:
golantrevize wrote:
For the cover letter, is everyone writing their addresses and the address of Rod Garcia, adhering to "standard business correspondence"? If yes, that makes up a lot of words, out of 500 !

Anybody got an answer for this?

I was in the online chat room today. Admissions representative said 500 word-count begins after "Dear Mr. Garcia". So the addresses won't count towards the word limit.

Gr8. Thanks !
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
I just noticed that MIT prefers the recommendation letter to be in the question/answer format. Would it be okay if my recommenders provided it in an essay form instead (since I believe the rec has already been submitted)?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.65
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
I am struggling to incorporate my extra curricular activities in the essays (I do not have start up experience or a leadership experience in a non-profit organization). It was easier for other B-School applications. I was also disappointed to find out that MIT application does not ask for extra curricular activities in the online application, unlike all other B-school apps. I am wondering if the Ad com is mainly interested in seeing examples from your professional experiences (the restriction of only including examples from last 3 years also limits the stories that you can tell unless you have been heavily involved in activities outside of work). Any ideas?
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  45   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts