Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 09:29 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 09:29

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 267 [0]
Given Kudos: 82
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GPA: 1.2
WE:Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [1]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Strategy, Human Resources
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [1]
Send PM
Re: Slow in RC [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi Praveengeol,

From what you've written, it's not clear if you have actually taken any FULL-LENGTH CATs (including the Essay and IR sections). Before I can offer the pointed advice that you're looking for, I need to know how you perform when you take a FULL CAT under realistic conditions.

Since you have your Test Date, you should plan to take a FULL CAT at the same time of day as you will take your Official GMAT - you might want to plan to do that this weekend. Once you have those score results, you should post back here and we can talk through how to adjust your studies.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Thanks Rich for responding promptly.

Yes i have taken full CAT and planning to take it every week from now to the last date. I have taken two tests. In diagnostic i scored V25Q40 (530) with no preparation And next one was even more pathetic V23Q42(550). But the second mock gave me 2 RCs in first 10 questions and this dropped my score drastically. I worked out well on SC and CR but because i had already dropped in a very bad range because of RCs, could not improve.

This is my first attempt but being in 24x7operation, i normally do not get time. Trying hard to find time this time but my bosses and industry will never give me time again to prepare, so i consider this as my first and last attempt. Whatever i score, i will have to take a call on that. This is why it is a critical time frame.

Thank You again

Praveen

EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Praveengeol,

From what you've written, it's not clear if you have actually taken any FULL-LENGTH CATs (including the Essay and IR sections). Before I can offer the pointed advice that you're looking for, I need to know how you perform when you take a FULL CAT under realistic conditions.

Since you have your Test Date, you should plan to take a FULL CAT at the same time of day as you will take your Official GMAT - you might want to plan to do that this weekend. Once you have those score results, you should post back here and we can talk through how to adjust your studies.

Rich
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Praveen,

With your current Test Date, you have about 6 weeks of study time remaining. While you CAN make some big improvements during that time, you're going to make to make some BIG improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections.

Your two CAT scores are remarkably consistent (they're essentially the 'same' performance +- a few correct answers). So you're doing the same general things correctly, but you're also making the same consistent mistakes. Many Test Takers who use a 'book-heavy' study approach end up getting 'stuck' at a particular score level and it's likely that this has happened to you as well. If you continue to study in the same way that you currently do, then your scores are likely to stay in this same general range (mid-to-high 500s).

So you can either continue with your current plan or you can invest in some new, non-book resources and learn new ways to 'see' (and respond to) the GMAT.

Going forward, how much time do you think you can spend each week on your studies?

Rich
Manager
Manager
Hi Rich,

I am working on eGMAT Quant and Verbal with OG practice. In two day phase, i am trying to make sure to solve 50 SC , 10 RCs , 50 CRs and 50 Quant.

Right now i am trying to devote 3-4 hours study every day on weekdays and around double of it on weekends.

Only one thing here, i studied for around 25 days in July but had to stop because of some reason and then started again on 23rd of August and continuing from there , however was disturbed again because of an official trip for a week. After this trip i gave my second mock, i am looking at giving another test next weekend and will see if any improvement is there.

Regards,

Praveen

EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Praveen,

With your current Test Date, you have about 6 weeks of study time remaining. While you CAN make some big improvements during that time, you're going to make to make some BIG improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections.

Your two CAT scores are remarkably consistent (they're essentially the 'same' performance +- a few correct answers). So you're doing the same general things correctly, but you're also making the same consistent mistakes. Many Test Takers who use a 'book-heavy' study approach end up getting 'stuck' at a particular score level and it's likely that this has happened to you as well. If you continue to study in the same way that you currently do, then your scores are likely to stay in this same general range (mid-to-high 500s).

So you can either continue with your current plan or you can invest in some new, non-book resources and learn new ways to 'see' (and respond to) the GMAT.

Going forward, how much time do you think you can spend each week on your studies?

Rich
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3671 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
The issue with timing in RC may have to do with how efficiently you are reading.

If you are comprehending things OK when you spend a lot of time, but then you lose that accuracy once you speed things up -- then when you speed things up, you may not be focusing on the proper areas. Those key transition words are important to take not of ---as are the sentence structures that give you a clue about what's going on and what might be coming up next.

This is a skill that often takes a long time to develop. You may be interested in some of our tutorials like this one that walk you through how we read the passage: https://www.gmatpill.com/practicequestio ... tions.html

You'll notice we don't read every word or sentence -- but we pay special attention to different parts of a paragraph. When done quickly, comprehension should still be pretty high, but time should be much quicker. Give it a shot.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Praveen,

That next CAT score is quite lmportant, as we'll be using it to set your study plan for the remainder of your studies. As such, you MUST make that CAT as realistic and test-like as possible (take the FULL CAT, away from your home, at the same time of day as your Official GMAT, etc.). Once you have those scores, you should report back here.

Rich
Manager
Manager
Thanks a lot for your feedback. I have done some synapsis and found these problems and am already working on these issues and already seeing improvement in RC.
Manager
Manager
Hi Rich,

I will get back with my new scores next weekend. And will like to get your help for defining my strategies for 4 weeks from then.

Regards,

Praveen

EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Praveen,

That next CAT score is quite lmportant, as we'll be using it to set your study plan for the remainder of your studies. As such, you MUST make that CAT as realistic and test-like as possible (take the FULL CAT, away from your home, at the same time of day as your Official GMAT, etc.). Once you have those scores, you should report back here.

Rich
GMAT Club Bot