It is currently 12 Dec 2017, 23:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Snakes molt their skins regularly, for the purpose of regenerating

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
CR Forum Moderator
P

Kudos [?]: 218 [1], given: 197

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Snakes molt their skins regularly, for the purpose of regenerating [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2017, 17:17
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

46% (01:29) correct 54% (01:29) wrong based on 301 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Snakes molt their skins regularly, for the purpose of regenerating skin worn by ground contact and for eliminating parasites, like ticks and mites, and this made ancient people venerate the snake as a symbol of resilience and healing.

(A) for the purpose of regenerating skin worn by ground contact and for eliminating parasites, like ticks and mites, and this made ancient people venerate
(B) for regenerating skin worn by ground contact and for the purpose of eliminating parasites, such as ticks and mites, causing ancient people to venerate
(C) so as to regenerate skin worn by ground contact and to eliminate parasites, such as ticks and mites, and these shed snake skins made ancient people venerate
(D) in order to regenerate skin worn by ground contact and for the purpose of eliminating parasites, such as ticks and mites, with ancient people venerating
(E) to regenerate skin worn by ground contact and to eliminate parasites, like ticks and mites, and these cause ancient people to venerate
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Hasan Mahmud

Kudos [?]: 218 [1], given: 197

CR Forum Moderator
P

Kudos [?]: 218 [0], given: 197

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Snakes molt their skins regularly, for the purpose of regenerating [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2017, 17:20
OE

1) Split #1: listing examples. On the GMAT, it is forbidden to begin a list of examples with “like.” We need to use the idiom “such as.” In discussing the parasites, choices (A) & (E) make the mistake of using “like ticks and mites,” so these two are incorrect.

Split #2: the phrase “for the purpose of doing X” is a long wordy way to express purpose. It is grammatically & idiomatically correct, but probably a bit too wordy to be correct on the GMAT. Here, in both appearances, it is put in parallel with an ordinary “for” + [gerund] construction, which is never appropriate for showing purpose. Choice (A) has “for eliminating” and choice (B) has “for regenerating,” so both of these are incorrect.

After these two splits, we are left with (C) & (D). Choice (D) makes the questionable choice of putting an “in order to” phrase in parallel with a “for the purpose of” phrase; this is certainly wordy, and may be considered logically incorrect on the GMAT. The structure “with” + [gerund] in the second half of (D) is always incorrect on the GMAT. This combination is enough to eliminate (D).

By contrast, choice (C) has the elegant structure of two infinitives in parallel after the “so as” structure, and the second half is logical clear. Choice (C) is the best answer here.

https://magoosh.com/gmat/2014/the-infin ... orrection/

Hasan Mahmud

Kudos [?]: 218 [0], given: 197

VP
VP
G

Kudos [?]: 89 [0], given: 564

Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: 314 Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
CAT Tests
Re: Snakes molt their skins regularly, for the purpose of regenerating [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2017, 07:07
Imo C
Original sentence contains multiple errors.

A does not have antecedent for pronoun this.
B is wordy and ing clause is wrong .
C is correct
D wordy and wrong use use of with
E no antecedent for pronoun these

We are more often frightened than hurt; and we suffer more from imagination than from reality

Kudos [?]: 89 [0], given: 564

Manager
Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 74

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 3.32
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2017, 05:26
Hi Mahmud6,

While I appreciate you posting this question, and I have the utmost respect for Magoosh, even Ron from MGMAT said that he has never seen a correct answer with 'so as to' in the sentence. Not that it isn't possible, it just makes it unlikely. In this vein, I do not believe this is a great question.

https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/foru ... tml#p58403

D-Day: November 18th, 2017

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 74

Director
Director
P

Kudos [?]: 112 [0], given: 46

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2017, 09:50
i have a question here ..Can we discard the answer choice B for incorrectly using present participle ..
IMO :

Snakes itself are not the cause of getting respect....Shedding of skin is the cause ..

Kudos [?]: 112 [0], given: 46

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 195

Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GMAT 1: 560 Q48 V20
GPA: 3
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2017, 12:04
+C.

Snakes molt their skins regularly, for the purpose of regenerating skin worn by ground contact and for eliminating parasites, like ticks and mites, and this made ancient people venerate the snake as a symbol of resilience and healing.

(A) for the purpose of regenerating skin worn by ground contact and for eliminating parasites, like ticks and mites, and this made ancient people venerate.
Wrong usage of like.
(B) for regenerating skin worn by ground contact and for the purpose of eliminating parasites, such as ticks and mites, causing ancient people to venerate.
Parallelism error.
(C) so as to regenerate skin worn by ground contact and to eliminate parasites, such as ticks and mites, and these shed snake skins made ancient people venerate. Correct.
(D) in order to regenerate skin worn by ground contact and for the purpose of eliminating parasites, such as ticks and mites, with ancient people venerating.
Change in meaning.
(E) to regenerate skin worn by ground contact and to eliminate parasites, like ticks and mites, and these cause ancient people to venerate.Wrong use of like.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When nothing seem to help, I would go and look at a Stonecutter hammering away at his rock perhaps a hundred time without as much as a crack showing in it.
Yet at the hundred and first blow it would split in two.
And I knew it was not that blow that did it, But all that had gone Before

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 195

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 2

Premium Member CAT Tests
Snakes molt their skins regularly, for the purpose of regenerating [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Nov 2017, 07:31

A. for the purpose of regenerating skin worn by ground contact and for eliminating parasites, like ticks and mites, and this made ancient people venerate

B. resulting in the regeneration of skin worn by ground contact and by the elimination of parasites, such as ticks and mites, making ancient people venerate

C. so as to regenerate skin worn by ground contact and to eliminate parasites, such as ticks and mites, and these shed snake skins made ancient people venerate

D. in order to regenerate skin worn by ground contact and for the purpose of eliminating parasites, such as ticks and mites, and ancient people venerated

E. thereby regenerating skin worn by ground contact and eliminating parasites, like ticks and mites, and causing ancient people to venerate

[Reveal] Spoiler: question
Hi experts,
I came across following question in Mangoosh and was confused in between B and C.
I suspected B was wrong as in C there is a comma followed by So, and so does not have any DC, making option C completely wrong.
So even though B looked wrong I marked it as correct answer.
Actually, C turned out to be correct answer and I understood that "so as" is an idiom and its usage in the sentence is correct.

My query is usage of so as .. and comma. If we have comma and so then there has to be DC. It seems that my understand is wrong. Can someone pls explain?

Last edited by broall on 11 Nov 2017, 07:39, edited 1 time in total.
Reformatted question

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 2

Snakes molt their skins regularly, for the purpose of regenerating   [#permalink] 11 Nov 2017, 07:31

Snakes molt their skins regularly, for the purpose of regenerating

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap