It is currently 12 Dec 2017, 05:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Specific Career goals in a niche field

new topic post reply Update application status  
Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 38

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 2.61
Specific Career goals in a niche field [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Nov 2017, 14:21
Hi Veritas Prep,

I want to get into education technology companies/startups as a Product Manager after MBA from a top 15 B school. I'm an edtech entrepreunr having run a startup in the field for 2 years before closing it down. Currently I'm a product manager with an ecommerce startup. Since edtech is a very niche field hardly any edtech companies recruit from the schools I'm applying to.

Should I mention a company name that doesn't recruit from the B-school I'm applying to in my short term goal? Is that a realistic short-term goal or should I tweak it and change my goals?

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 38

Veritas Prep GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount CodesMath Revolution Discount Codes
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
G

Kudos [?]: 257 [0], given: 0

Re: Specific Career goals in a niche field [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2017, 16:25
Good questions. I always recommend being as authentic in your career goals as possible, within reason of course. I had a few classmates when I was in school who had similar goals and admissions did not view this goal as anything crazy or unreachable so that's good news for you. You have already showcased the entrepreneurial and tech chops so now just need an MBA to help you reach your career goals. I would say the more concrete you can be about your career goals even if the company is not currently a recruiter the better. That will show the school you have thought through the clarity of your career goals which is what they are looking for. If you can connect the offerings of the school that will help you be successful in this role as well you will be in good shape. Also, if you need a bridge step before pursuing your goals in ed tech don't be afraid to incorporate that into your story as well

Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Kudos [?]: 257 [0], given: 0

Specific Career goals in a niche field

new topic post reply Update application status  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap