It is currently 21 Aug 2017, 14:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Stanford vs MIT

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GPA: 1
Stanford vs MIT [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2017, 11:39
This post received
KUDOS
Hi folks,

I have been admitted to some great schools, a couple of which were my dream schools before I started the application process.

Never thought I would find myself in this conundrum (I know it's a great one to be in). So, here's a list of my admits along with other details-

Haas- Full Ride
Kellogg- 100k
MIT- No Scholarship :cry:
Stanford- Got accepted after getting waitlist in round 1

I'll be taking a deferral and joining the school from next year due to personal as well as professional reasons. As for my profile, I am en entrepreneur, have been working with my start-up (manufacture packaging products for food & clothing Industry) for 5 years. Recently launched a new start-up in Egypt (manufacturing organic vegetables).

Post MBA want to expand in US. Have already set up a company in NYC. Hoping for an MBA to help me network as well as learn marketing, startegic and business skills required to do business in US.

On my visits to schools, I was most impressed by MIT (the moment I stepped in the school I felt belonged and a sense of students trying to innovate, create and do something different.). However, I don't want to leave Stanford (the prestige as well as the fact that they rejected me in my under-grad, so this seems like a feeling of fulfillment). Haas full ride is also very generous, not very impressed by Kellogg, though that is just my opinion.

Experts, please help!

Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
S

Kudos [?]: 220 [0], given: 0

Re: Stanford vs MIT [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2017, 19:20
Based on your comments about your experience with the programs listed I would go with Stanford. It's arguably the top MBA in the world and given you were not impressed by Kellogg (or the money) I feel like passing on Stanford for MIT would eat at you. Also, Stanford's reputation in entrep is second to none. Great options here!

Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Kudos [?]: 220 [0], given: 0

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 45 [1] , given: 5

Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.4
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2017, 20:20
This post received
KUDOS
Close your eyes and go for Stanford. It's a no-brainier if you ask me. With your kind of profile and inclination I'm sure you'll enjoy the Stanford culture and will make best use of the Bay area. You'll meet some really amazing people which I'm sure you won't meet anywhere else in the world. I'm surprised how they wait-listed you in the first place. That itself says something about the quality of talent that you gonna find at Stanford :-D

Rajeev0007 wrote:
Hi folks,

I have been admitted to some great schools, a couple of which were my dream schools before I started the application process.

Never thought I would find myself in this conundrum (I know it's a great one to be in). So, here's a list of my admits along with other details-

Haas- Full Ride
Kellogg- 100k
MIT- No Scholarship :cry:
Stanford- Got accepted after getting waitlist in round 1

I'll be taking a deferral and joining the school from next year due to personal as well as professional reasons. As for my profile, I am en entrepreneur, have been working with my start-up (manufacture packaging products for food & clothing Industry) for 5 years. Recently launched a new start-up in Egypt (manufacturing organic vegetables).

Post MBA want to expand in US. Have already set up a company in NYC. Hoping for an MBA to help me network as well as learn marketing, startegic and business skills required to do business in US.

On my visits to schools, I was most impressed by MIT (the moment I stepped in the school I felt belonged and a sense of students trying to innovate, create and do something different.). However, I don't want to leave Stanford (the prestige as well as the fact that they rejected me in my under-grad, so this seems like a feeling of fulfillment). Haas full ride is also very generous, not very impressed by Kellogg, though that is just my opinion.

Experts, please help!

Kudos [?]: 45 [1] , given: 5

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

[#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2017, 11:00
Go for Stanford! Congratulations! :)

Posted from my mobile device

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2017, 12:58
This post received
KUDOS
Go with Stanford. The added debt won't be that much of a factor in a 40 year career

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 119 [0], given: 130

Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Schools: Owen '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q44 V44
GPA: 3.73
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2017, 18:12
Do they teach something at Stanford that they don't teach at Haas? Are there any companies that recruit at Stanford that don't recruit at Haas (that you're targeting)? Is there something specific that you'd have access to as a Stanford grad that you could not get as a Haas alum?

I don't know that the answer to any of these questions is 'yes.' With that in mind, I don't know that Stanford is really worth $130k+ (before capitalized interest) more than Haas, even if in the long run the money is not that big of a concern. Given your options, circumstances, and preferences as described in your post, I'd pick Cal.

In any case, you've had a great cycle and I imagine you've got a bright road ahead. Good luck with the decision!

Kudos [?]: 119 [0], given: 130

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 23

Show Tags

New post 08 May 2017, 15:58
I would definitely go for Stanford! In my mind, it's the best bschool out there.

MIT is definitely not worth it over Kellogg or Haas w/ money.

Congratulations!

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 23

Re: Stanford vs MIT   [#permalink] 08 May 2017, 15:58