GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Oct 2019, 19:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Starting My MBA Journey

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
B
Starting My MBA Journey  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2019, 14:25
Hello all!

Long time lurker, first time poster. I have finally decided to start my MBA journey and will start studying for the GMAT this weekend. A little bit about me, I graduated undergrad in December 2015 with a very low GPA (about in the 2.4-2.8 range but with a strong upward trend in my last 60 hours). I plan to address this in my essays by explaining I was the first person in my family to go to college along with some other extenuating circumstances. I also plan to have very strong essays and letters of rec from direct supervisors.

As far as my resume goes, I am in project management for a very large commercial construction company. I am currently working on a $100M high rise apartment building where I am ultimately responsible for managing all of the various subcontractors and their employees onsite (about 350 people at the moment). A lot of my work includes creating/maintaining schedules, budgeting, gain/loss accounting, maintaining relationships with consultants/architects/engineers/owners on a daily basis, pay application processing, problem solving pretty much every hour of the day, and so much more. I am at the point where I am just burnt out on construction after being around it my entire life and would like to make a career change.

I am also involved in volunteering a few hours a week in the pediatric wing of a local cancer hospital where we play board games and such with sick children.

I would like to stay in Texas so my top schools would be McCombs, Jones (Rice) and Mays. That being said, I know at the very least I will have to absolutely crush the GMAT to have even the slightest chance. Am I crazy for trying to do this or is it possible? Realistically, what kind of GMAT score am I needing to make to be able to make this happen?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Starting My MBA Journey  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2019, 19:59
Hi. Congratulations on your starting your journey. There are definitely low GPA success stories and it won't derail your plans as long as you can demonstrate that you are mature, responsible, and committed. Having a good explanation in your additional essay will help and to seal the deal, you will need a 700+ GMAT Score. McComb's average is 703, so ideally you would get to 720 or above to compensate for your GPA weakness.

Career change is a very common reason for an MBA where people sometimes use their MBA as an eject button and it motivates them to persevere with their GMAT studies, application essays, etc to get it done and get the heck out. I was in a situation where I had to get out and I did. There is definitely no shame in that and I think your construction/blue color work environment may be a good differentiator for your application. Schools like diversity.

In short, focus on the GMAT in the short term - plan to take 3 months and nail it. Don't spread it across 6 months and make sure you find quality time rather than sitting in a truck during lunch break with a book. Try to see if you can do it in the morning (not sure it is possible) or some other time when your mind is still usable. You have a good shot with a number of TX schools and potentially more. See if you connect with someone doing their MBA right now or someone who has done it 5-10 years ago and can potentially mentor you. That helps a lot!

Good Luck!
BB>

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...

Discover Your Admit Options with Decision Tracker Filters!
Intern
Intern
Starting My MBA Journey  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 11 Mar 2019, 11:35
Hi,
Good luck on your journey!
Just work hard and will reach your goal wish you the best.

Dafont 192.168.l.l FileHippo

Originally posted by Amelias on 08 Mar 2019, 17:21.
Last edited by Amelias on 11 Mar 2019, 11:35, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2019, 18:29
bb wrote:
Hi. Congratulations on your starting your journey. There are definitely low GPA success stories and it won't derail your plans as long as you can demonstrate that you are mature, responsible, and committed. Having a good explanation in your additional essay will help and to seal the deal, you will need a 700+ GMAT Score. McComb's average is 703, so ideally you would get to 720 or above to compensate for your GPA weakness.

Career change is a very common reason for an MBA where people sometimes use their MBA as an eject button and it motivates them to persevere with their GMAT studies, application essays, etc to get it done and get the heck out. I was in a situation where I had to get out and I did. There is definitely no shame in that and I think your construction/blue color work environment may be a good differentiator for your application. Schools like diversity.

In short, focus on the GMAT in the short term - plan to take 3 months and nail it. Don't spread it across 6 months and make sure you find quality time rather than sitting in a truck during lunch break with a book. Try to see if you can do it in the morning (not sure it is possible) or some other time when your mind is still usable. You have a good shot with a number of TX schools and potentially more. See if you connect with someone doing their MBA right now or someone who has done it 5-10 years ago and can potentially mentor you. That helps a lot!

Good Luck!
BB>

Well, just took my first cold diagnostic CAT from the official MBA website and scored a dismal but somewhat better than expected 460 (Q22)(V31)(IR 7).

I went in completely blind and cold after not have looked at a single math question since my last math class in undergrad in June 2015, so I was expecting that quant score and I guessed on A LOT of those questions. Was a little disappointed in the verbal score, thought I would have done good on that although I did guess on more than several. I can tell right off the bat I will need to work on my time management skills as I felt somewhat rushed during certain parts.

I ordered the OG and MGMAT set of books Friday, those will be getting here tomorrow and I will start my studies. I am very committed to improving my score and crushing this thing. What are my realistic chances of improving my score enough to get into the schools I mentioned in my first post? Keep in mind I will pretty much be starting from square one with studying/learning foundations.

Any tips for me bb?
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2019, 12:07
Just to give you an idea, it is quite a bit of work to improve 200 points on the GMAT. It is a monumental amount of work to improve 300 points. I can name a handful of people here on GMAT Club who have gone up 300 points (I went up only 210 points since my serious diag test).

It is possible but you have set your expectations properly and fix the sins of your youth when you breezed through math and english composition classes.

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...

Discover Your Admit Options with Decision Tracker Filters!
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2019, 18:08
Hello texag15! Good luck on your journey! As someone who also has a low GPA, I know how it feels but it definitely doesn't mean that we will hit a wall at the end. Don't worry too much about it!
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Healthcare, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 770 Q50 V46
GPA: 3.83

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2019, 08:47
Something to keep in mind. Do you have time to take a class before applying? Something like stats, business math, or economics. That could really help you given low GPA— GMAT alone may not be sufficient given low GPA

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 27 Apr 2019, 04:42
i am looking for MBA through digital marketing, can anyone suggest about MBA with Digital Marketing. How will be it..
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 29 Apr 2019, 09:58
Dear Texag15:

While difficult, it is not impossible to gain entry to an MBA program with a low GPA. Every year MBA programs admit a select number of applicants with a low GMAT score or a low GPA. AdComs look at many different parts of your profile - the goal is to stand out in every single other aspect. Some advice:

1) Since your GPA will be in the bottom 10% (median GPA for Texas is 3.0 - 3.9) strive for a GMAT in the top 10% - 20%. If financially feasible, take a GMAT class or hire a GMAT tutor.

2) Dissect your transcript. In addition to an upward trend your last 60 hours (congratulations!) are there any other patterns? For example - did you perform poorly in your quant classes or your language classes? The classes themselves matter. A school won't be as concerned with a low grade in French as a low grade in Economics

3) As someone else mentioned take a class! You need to show that while you may not have been prepared when you started college you are now an A student. I generally recommend UC Berkeley Extension (well respected and you can take online) - but if not feasible financially look for classes at your local community college. Be sure to take a quantitative course.

4) Think about the entire story surrounding your GPA. It is incredibly admirable that you were the first person in your family to go to college. Did you struggle to get in? Wer you surrounded by the right mentors? Did you attend a high school that adequately prepared you? Did you work hours during school that prevented you from studying? How did you manage to increase your GPA? The school wants to understand not only why the GPA is low but how you managed to overcome your struggles and improve. Past performance is an indicator of future performance.

5) Beef up your extracurricular activities. It sounds like you have a lot of leadership experience in your job - but minimal volunteer work. While it is admirable that you volunteer you want to show the school that you are amazing in every area of your life. Try to add on some hours or see if you can take on a new initiative

Let me know if you have any questions.

Pamela Jaffe
MBA Admissions Consultant
The Jaffe Advantage
https://jaffeadvantage.com
Email pamela@jaffeadvantage.com for a free consultation
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 13 May 2019, 01:02
thanks for sharing