GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Sep 2018, 08:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

STONECOLD'S MATH CHALLENGE - PS AND DS QUESTION COLLECTION.

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Current Student
User avatar
D
Joined: 12 Aug 2015
Posts: 2648
Schools: Boston U '20 (M)
GRE 1: Q169 V154
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: STONECOLD'S MATH CHALLENGE - PS AND DS QUESTION COLLECTION.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jan 2017, 08:04
1
2
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 17 May 2016
Posts: 7
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: STONECOLD'S MATH CHALLENGE - PS AND DS QUESTION COLLECTION.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jan 2017, 01:05
1
Hi Stonecold ! First of all thanks for sharing these awesome conceptual questions. I have one doubt - Why "Z" cannot be -ve (Negative integer) for question no 1 in Mock test1

1)If z is divisible by all the integers from 1 to 5 inclusive,what is the smallest value of z?
Possible minimum values for Z also include -60,-120 etc. 60 should be the smallest positive integer.

Please correct me if i am wrong.
Current Student
User avatar
D
Joined: 12 Aug 2015
Posts: 2648
Schools: Boston U '20 (M)
GRE 1: Q169 V154
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
STONECOLD'S MATH CHALLENGE - PS AND DS QUESTION COLLECTION.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jan 2017, 06:40
1
Vianand4 wrote:
Hi Stonecold ! First of all thanks for sharing these awesome conceptual questions. I have one doubt - Why "Z" cannot be -ve (Negative integer) for question no 1 in Mock test1

1)If z is divisible by all the integers from 1 to 5 inclusive,what is the smallest value of z?
Possible minimum values for Z also include -60,-120 etc. 60 should be the smallest positive integer.

Please correct me if i am wrong.


Hi.
Thanks for the feedback on the Quiz.

Coming back to your question.
Technically you are right.

But the Bottom line is -> Factors and multiples on the GMAT are always positive integers.
Hence z would always be 60.


Regards
Stone Cold
_________________


MBA Financing:- INDIAN PUBLIC BANKS vs PRODIGY FINANCE!

Getting into HOLLYWOOD with an MBA!

The MOST AFFORDABLE MBA programs!

STONECOLD's BRUTAL Mock Tests for GMAT-Quant(700+)

AVERAGE GRE Scores At The Top Business Schools!

Current Student
User avatar
D
Joined: 12 Aug 2015
Posts: 2648
Schools: Boston U '20 (M)
GRE 1: Q169 V154
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: STONECOLD'S MATH CHALLENGE - PS AND DS QUESTION COLLECTION.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jan 2017, 22:00
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
S
Joined: 25 Mar 2013
Posts: 256
Location: United States
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: STONECOLD'S MATH CHALLENGE - PS AND DS QUESTION COLLECTION.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jan 2017, 16:48
1
1)If z is divisible by all the integers from 1 to 5 inclusive,what is the smallest value of z?

Without any options how can we think and try z = 60?
Yes I understand 60 is divisible by all numbers 1 to 5
Assume If z is divisible by all integers from 1 to 7 inclusive, what is the smallest value of z? without knowing any options?
Thanks
_________________

I welcome analysis on my posts and kudo +1 if helpful. It helps me to improve my craft.Thank you

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
S
Joined: 25 Mar 2013
Posts: 256
Location: United States
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: STONECOLD'S MATH CHALLENGE - PS AND DS QUESTION COLLECTION.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jan 2017, 16:58
1
2)Data Sufficiency-> Is the positive integer z divisible by 12?
A)z is divisible by 3.
B)z is not divisible by 2.

1, z / 3 = integer
z could be 3,6,9,12,15,24...
Insufficient
BCE
2, z / 2 # integer
z must be an odd number
Sufficient

3)Data Sufficiency-> Is integer z divisible by 21?
A)z is divisible by 7 --- Insufficient
B)z is divisible by 3 ---- Insufficient
Z = 21, divisible by both 3 and 7
C

4, E
_________________

I welcome analysis on my posts and kudo +1 if helpful. It helps me to improve my craft.Thank you

Current Student
User avatar
D
Joined: 12 Aug 2015
Posts: 2648
Schools: Boston U '20 (M)
GRE 1: Q169 V154
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
STONECOLD'S MATH CHALLENGE - PS AND DS QUESTION COLLECTION.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2017, 09:43
A quadrilateral has a perimeter of 16. Which of the following alone would provide sufficient information to determine the area of the quadrilateral.

A)The quadrilateral contains equal sides.

B)The quadrilateral is formed by combining two isosceles right triangles.

C) Two pairs of congruent angles are in a 2:1 ratio.

D) The width is 4o% of the length and all angles are of equal measure.

E) If the perimeter was decreased by 50%, the area would decrease by 25%



D.

_________________


MBA Financing:- INDIAN PUBLIC BANKS vs PRODIGY FINANCE!

Getting into HOLLYWOOD with an MBA!

The MOST AFFORDABLE MBA programs!

STONECOLD's BRUTAL Mock Tests for GMAT-Quant(700+)

AVERAGE GRE Scores At The Top Business Schools!

Current Student
User avatar
D
Joined: 12 Aug 2015
Posts: 2648
Schools: Boston U '20 (M)
GRE 1: Q169 V154
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: STONECOLD'S MATH CHALLENGE - PS AND DS QUESTION COLLECTION.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2017, 00:02
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 24 Jan 2017
Posts: 151
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V25
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.48
Reviews Badge
Re: STONECOLD'S MATH CHALLENGE - PS AND DS QUESTION COLLECTION.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2017, 20:18
1
stonecold wrote:
The difference between the digits of a two digit number is 3.How many such numbers are possible ?
A)12
B)13
C)14
D)15
E)16


Hello, I am new in your topic. Is there anyone still discussing this?

The following is my take. Hope to receive your comment on it. Thank you.

Difference between 2 digits is 3 => Smaller digit must range from 0 to 6 (because if the smaller is 7, then the larger will be 10 -> this cannot happen).
The difference is constant, so we have 7 numbers
Tens digit will be either the larger or smaller, so we have 7x2=14 number
Eliminate the case [03], because 0 cannot play the role of tens digit.

Therefore, we have 14-1=13 numbers => (B) is correct
BSchool Forum Moderator
User avatar
D
Joined: 28 Mar 2017
Posts: 1129
Location: India
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
CAT Tests
If 2,3,5 are the only prime factors of a positive integer p,what is th  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2017, 12:46
1
Sorry I am unable to find the existing thread for this question:

If 2,3,5 are the only prime factors of a positive integer p,what is the value of p?
A)p>100
B)p has exactly 12 factors including 1 and 12.

Why is the answer
Spoiler: :: OA
C
.
Spoiler: :: Explanation
Since 2,3,5 are the only prime factors of p=> The general expression for p will be 2a∗3b∗5c2a∗3b∗5c where a,b,c are positive integers.
Statement 1->p>100.
There exist infinite such cases.
In-fact there are only a few cases where p will be less than 100.
Hence not sufficient.
Statement 2->
Factors =12
Hence (a+1)*(b+1)*(c+1)=12=2*2*3
NOTE-> We can't arrange 12 as 1*1*12 or 2*6*1 or 4*3*1 as a,b,c are positive integers.
Hence a,b,c => (1,1,2) or (1,2,1) or (2,1,1)
Posible values of p=> 150,90,60
Hence not sufficient.
Combining the two statements => p must be 150.
Hence C.


My answer is
Spoiler: :: my answer
B


Spoiler: :: My understanding
The option B explicitly states that 12 is a factor of p. So, 2 must have a power of 2 and 3 must have power 1. Now since number of factors is 12, 5 should have power=1.
Thus only feasible solution is p=60.

Please point out the issue in my understanding

_________________

Kudos if my post helps!

Long And A Fruitful Journey - V21 to V41; If I can, So Can You!!


Preparing for RC my way


My study resources:
1. Useful Formulae, Concepts and Tricks-Quant
2. e-GMAT's ALL SC Compilation
3. LSAT RC compilation
4. Actual LSAT CR collection by Broal
5. QOTD RC (Carcass)
6. Challange OG RC
7. GMAT Prep Challenge RC

Director
Director
User avatar
P
Joined: 18 Aug 2016
Posts: 629
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 740 Q51 V38
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: If 2,3,5 are the only prime factors of a positive integer p,what is th  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2017, 13:04
1
12 is not a factor of 150 or 90...so U know the answer


Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum
_________________

We must try to achieve the best within us


Thanks
Luckisnoexcuse

BSchool Forum Moderator
User avatar
D
Joined: 28 Mar 2017
Posts: 1129
Location: India
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
CAT Tests
Re: If 2,3,5 are the only prime factors of a positive integer p,what is th  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2017, 13:08
1
Luckisnoexcuse wrote:
12 is not a factor of 150 or 90...so U know the answer


Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum


Hi bro .. how is prep?

Please have a look at the official explanation. i think that is wrong, hence my doubt
_________________

Kudos if my post helps!

Long And A Fruitful Journey - V21 to V41; If I can, So Can You!!


Preparing for RC my way


My study resources:
1. Useful Formulae, Concepts and Tricks-Quant
2. e-GMAT's ALL SC Compilation
3. LSAT RC compilation
4. Actual LSAT CR collection by Broal
5. QOTD RC (Carcass)
6. Challange OG RC
7. GMAT Prep Challenge RC

Current Student
User avatar
D
Joined: 12 Aug 2015
Posts: 2648
Schools: Boston U '20 (M)
GRE 1: Q169 V154
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: STONECOLD'S MATH CHALLENGE - PS AND DS QUESTION COLLECTION.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2017, 08:27
gmatexam439 wrote:
Sorry I am unable to find the existing thread for this question:

If 2,3,5 are the only prime factors of a positive integer p,what is the value of p?
A)p>100
B)p has exactly 12 factors including 1 and 12.

Why is the answer
Spoiler: :: OA
C
.
Spoiler: :: Explanation
Since 2,3,5 are the only prime factors of p=> The general expression for p will be 2a∗3b∗5c2a∗3b∗5c where a,b,c are positive integers.
Statement 1->p>100.
There exist infinite such cases.
In-fact there are only a few cases where p will be less than 100.
Hence not sufficient.
Statement 2->
Factors =12
Hence (a+1)*(b+1)*(c+1)=12=2*2*3
NOTE-> We can't arrange 12 as 1*1*12 or 2*6*1 or 4*3*1 as a,b,c are positive integers.
Hence a,b,c => (1,1,2) or (1,2,1) or (2,1,1)
Posible values of p=> 150,90,60
Hence not sufficient.
Combining the two statements => p must be 150.
Hence C.


My answer is
Spoiler: :: my answer
B


Spoiler: :: My understanding
The option B explicitly states that 12 is a factor of p. So, 2 must have a power of 2 and 3 must have power 1. Now since number of factors is 12, 5 should have power=1.
Thus only feasible solution is p=60.

Please point out the issue in my understanding


My BAD.!
You are absolutely correct.
The OA should definitely be B.

if 12 is the factor the only possible combination would be 2^2*3*5


Best
Stone

_________________


MBA Financing:- INDIAN PUBLIC BANKS vs PRODIGY FINANCE!

Getting into HOLLYWOOD with an MBA!

The MOST AFFORDABLE MBA programs!

STONECOLD's BRUTAL Mock Tests for GMAT-Quant(700+)

AVERAGE GRE Scores At The Top Business Schools!

BSchool Forum Moderator
User avatar
D
Joined: 28 Mar 2017
Posts: 1129
Location: India
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
CAT Tests
Re: STONECOLD'S MATH CHALLENGE - PS AND DS QUESTION COLLECTION.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2017, 08:53
1
stonecold wrote:
gmatexam439 wrote:
Sorry I am unable to find the existing thread for this question:

If 2,3,5 are the only prime factors of a positive integer p,what is the value of p?
A)p>100
B)p has exactly 12 factors including 1 and 12.

Why is the answer
Spoiler: :: OA
C
.
Spoiler: :: Explanation
Since 2,3,5 are the only prime factors of p=> The general expression for p will be 2a∗3b∗5c2a∗3b∗5c where a,b,c are positive integers.
Statement 1->p>100.
There exist infinite such cases.
In-fact there are only a few cases where p will be less than 100.
Hence not sufficient.
Statement 2->
Factors =12
Hence (a+1)*(b+1)*(c+1)=12=2*2*3
NOTE-> We can't arrange 12 as 1*1*12 or 2*6*1 or 4*3*1 as a,b,c are positive integers.
Hence a,b,c => (1,1,2) or (1,2,1) or (2,1,1)
Posible values of p=> 150,90,60
Hence not sufficient.
Combining the two statements => p must be 150.
Hence C.


My answer is
Spoiler: :: my answer
B


Spoiler: :: My understanding
The option B explicitly states that 12 is a factor of p. So, 2 must have a power of 2 and 3 must have power 1. Now since number of factors is 12, 5 should have power=1.
Thus only feasible solution is p=60.

Please point out the issue in my understanding


My BAD.!
You are absolutely correct.
The OA should definitely be B.

if 12 is the factor the only possible combination would be 2^2*3*5


Best
Stone


hehe finally i succeeded in finding one wrong ..... ;)

Regards
_________________

Kudos if my post helps!

Long And A Fruitful Journey - V21 to V41; If I can, So Can You!!


Preparing for RC my way


My study resources:
1. Useful Formulae, Concepts and Tricks-Quant
2. e-GMAT's ALL SC Compilation
3. LSAT RC compilation
4. Actual LSAT CR collection by Broal
5. QOTD RC (Carcass)
6. Challange OG RC
7. GMAT Prep Challenge RC

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 10 Feb 2017
Posts: 13
CAT Tests
Re: STONECOLD'S MATH CHALLENGE - PS AND DS QUESTION COLLECTION.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2017, 22:17
1
Hi,

Thank you for posting awesome test. I have a question though. For Mock 3 question # 2, I am not able to follow the second stem and wondering if you could help me clarify my lack of understanding.


2)Data Sufficiency->If n is a positive integer,is n divisible by 2?
A)7n-8 is divisible by 20.
B)3n^2+2n+5 is a prime number.

I get that A is sufficient but I can't figure out B. Answer is D. Can you please stonecold help me figure this out. Thank you!
BSchool Forum Moderator
User avatar
D
Joined: 28 Mar 2017
Posts: 1129
Location: India
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
CAT Tests
Re: STONECOLD'S MATH CHALLENGE - PS AND DS QUESTION COLLECTION.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2017, 06:11
2
Bobzi wrote:
Hi,

Thank you for posting awesome test. I have a question though. For Mock 3 question # 2, I am not able to follow the second stem and wondering if you could help me clarify my lack of understanding.


2)Data Sufficiency->If n is a positive integer,is n divisible by 2?
A)7n-8 is divisible by 20.
B)3n^2+2n+5 is a prime number.

I get that A is sufficient but I can't figure out B. Answer is D. Can you please stonecold help me figure this out. Thank you!


Hi Bobzi,

Statement 2:
\(3n^2+2n+5\) is a prime number. Now since n is a positive integer, it means that n >=1. If that is the case then, \(3n^2+2n+5\) would always be greater than 2. So for \(3n^2+2n+5\) to be prime, it ought to be odd.

Start with n=1: \(3n^2+2n+5\)=10 --Even; Thus \(3n^2+2n+5\) can never be prime when n=odd
With, n=2: \(3n^2+2n+5\)=21 --Odd; Thus \(3n^2+2n+5\) will always be odd when n=even and thus there will exist a number which will be prime [we need not find that number].

So we can conclude that n=even and even numbers are always divisible by 2. --Sufficient

I hope that clears your doubt !! :)
_________________

Kudos if my post helps!

Long And A Fruitful Journey - V21 to V41; If I can, So Can You!!


Preparing for RC my way


My study resources:
1. Useful Formulae, Concepts and Tricks-Quant
2. e-GMAT's ALL SC Compilation
3. LSAT RC compilation
4. Actual LSAT CR collection by Broal
5. QOTD RC (Carcass)
6. Challange OG RC
7. GMAT Prep Challenge RC

Current Student
User avatar
D
Joined: 12 Aug 2015
Posts: 2648
Schools: Boston U '20 (M)
GRE 1: Q169 V154
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: STONECOLD'S MATH CHALLENGE - PS AND DS QUESTION COLLECTION.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2017, 07:15
1
Bobzi wrote:
Hi,

Thank you for posting awesome test. I have a question though. For Mock 3 question # 2, I am not able to follow the second stem and wondering if you could help me clarify my lack of understanding.


2)Data Sufficiency->If n is a positive integer,is n divisible by 2?
A)7n-8 is divisible by 20.
B)3n^2+2n+5 is a prime number.

I get that A is sufficient but I can't figure out B. Answer is D. Can you please stonecold help me figure this out. Thank you!


Hi Bobzi

Although
gmatexam439 is spot on with his method, I would like to use a more fundamental approach for statement 2.

We need to use the basics.
Remember all primes >2 are odd? Yes, we will use that here.

We are told 3n^2+2n+5 is a prime number
Since n is a positive integer the least possible value of n is one.

So the least possible value of 3n^2+2n+5 is 3+3+5 => 11
Hence 3n^2+2n+5 is a prime number ≥11

What is the common thing about all primes greater than 2? They are odd.

Hence 3n^2+2n+5 is odd.

So 3n^2+ even + odd = odd
3n^2 + odd = odd
3n^2 = odd-odd = even

3n^2 = even

Hence n = even.

Hence sufficient
Smash that D.



Best
Stone

_________________


MBA Financing:- INDIAN PUBLIC BANKS vs PRODIGY FINANCE!

Getting into HOLLYWOOD with an MBA!

The MOST AFFORDABLE MBA programs!

STONECOLD's BRUTAL Mock Tests for GMAT-Quant(700+)

AVERAGE GRE Scores At The Top Business Schools!

Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 26 Feb 2018
Posts: 61
WE: Sales (Internet and New Media)
Re: STONECOLD'S MATH CHALLENGE - PS AND DS QUESTION COLLECTION.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Mar 2018, 07:29
Excellent mate , Can we have answer explanations for these ? To be honest I'm getting many errors , would like to have some explanations . If you could help ?
_________________

" Can't stop learning and failing"

Current Student
User avatar
D
Joined: 12 Aug 2015
Posts: 2648
Schools: Boston U '20 (M)
GRE 1: Q169 V154
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: STONECOLD'S MATH CHALLENGE - PS AND DS QUESTION COLLECTION.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Mar 2018, 23:59
loserunderachiever wrote:
Excellent mate , Can we have answer explanations for these ? To be honest I'm getting many errors , would like to have some explanations . If you could help ?


Hi,
Which questions do you want me to discuss?

I am happy to help with any quant questions you have for me.
Just post in your question below and I will post in the solution.

Best
Stone
_________________


MBA Financing:- INDIAN PUBLIC BANKS vs PRODIGY FINANCE!

Getting into HOLLYWOOD with an MBA!

The MOST AFFORDABLE MBA programs!

STONECOLD's BRUTAL Mock Tests for GMAT-Quant(700+)

AVERAGE GRE Scores At The Top Business Schools!

Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 26 Feb 2018
Posts: 61
WE: Sales (Internet and New Media)
Re: STONECOLD'S MATH CHALLENGE - PS AND DS QUESTION COLLECTION.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Mar 2018, 00:26
Stone ,

Can you give me a solution of these two ?
Attachments

Screen Shot 2018-03-03 at 12.57.18 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-03-03 at 12.57.18 PM.png [ 104.42 KiB | Viewed 1069 times ]


_________________

" Can't stop learning and failing"

Re: STONECOLD'S MATH CHALLENGE - PS AND DS QUESTION COLLECTION. &nbs [#permalink] 03 Mar 2018, 00:26

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4    Next  [ 72 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

STONECOLD'S MATH CHALLENGE - PS AND DS QUESTION COLLECTION.

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.