Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 19:00 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 19:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32951 [1]
Given Kudos: 5780
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 125
Send PM
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32951 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 125
Send PM
Re: Students measured a group of metallic solids of various alloys and rep [#permalink]
Sajjad1994 wrote:
irisjojojo wrote:
maybe I'm too tired and can't think it straight :dazed

Can anyone help out with the third statement?

Quote:
The ratio of magnetic cones to magnetic spheres is equal to the percentage of solids that are either heavier than 5 ounces or magnetic.

Thanks in advance!

Hello irisjojojo

The ratio of magnetic cones to magnetic spheres is equal to the percentage of solids that are either heavier than 5 ounces or magnetic.

First, calculate the ratio of magnetic spheres to magnetic cones by sorting the column reflecting magnetism. There is one magnetic sphere and there are two magnetic cones, so this ratio is 1:2. Next, calculate the percentage of solids that are either heavier than 5 ounces or magnetic by sorting first by weight and then by magnetism. There are 3 solids weighing heavier than 5 oz and 4 solids that are magnetic. However, one solid, K04, is both. The formula for "either x or y" is "number of x's + number of y's – number of both x and y.", so the number of solids that are either heavier than 5 oz. or magnetic is 6, which is exactly 1/2 of the solids. Thus, the ratio and the percentage are the same and this statement is true.

I can see how to figure out those numbers, but confuse about the difference between "the ratio of magnetic cones to magnetic sphere" and "the ratio of magnetic sphere to magnetic cones." Is there any difference, or they are actually interchangeable. Thanks! :please: :heart
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32951 [1]
Send PM
Re: Students measured a group of metallic solids of various alloys and rep [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
irisjojojo wrote:

I can see how to figure out those numbers, but confuse about the difference between "the ratio of magnetic cones to magnetic sphere" and "the ratio of magnetic sphere to magnetic cones." Is there any difference, or they are actually interchangeable. Thanks! :please: :heart

I am not sure whether I have understood your question or not. The ratios are different and not interchangeable. Here is the question

First of all, find the number of magnetic cons

Under the shape column, there are three cons but two of them are magnetic cones. So

Magnetic cones = 2

Now find the magnetic spheres

There are four spheres but only one is magnetic

Magnetic sphere = 1

So the ratio of Magnetic cones to magnetic spheres = 2:1 or 2/1

Now the second part of the question asks us to the percentage of solids that are either heavier than 5 ounces or magnetic.

either x or y" means "number of x's + number of y's – number of both x and y."

Number of solids that are heavier than 5 but are not magnetic = 2
Number of solids that are magnetic but not heavier than 5 = 3
Number of solids that are heavier than 5 and also are magnetic = 1 [3+2+1=6]
Total number of solids (total entries) = 12

Ratio is 12:6 = 2:1 =2/1

Both ratios are equal hense the answer is True
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [1]
Given Kudos: 183
GPA: 3.83
Send PM
Kudos
Sajjad1994 wrote:
irisjojojo wrote:

I am not sure whether I have understood your question or not. The ratios are different and not interchangeable. Here is the question

Under the shape column, there are three cons but two of them are magnetic cones. So

Magnetic cones = 2

Magnetic sphere = 1

Now the second part of the question asks us to the percentage of solids that are either heavier than 5 ounces or magnetic.

Sajjad1994

I don’t think your explanation here is correct. The first part about the ratio of magnetic cones to mag spheres is fine, it is 2:1. But the percentage of solids heavier than 5 or magnetic is 50%. If anything we were not told percentage of what? So if we assume it to be the percentage W.r.to total then it would be 6/12 not 12/6. So how is the answer true in that case? Thanks!

Posted from my mobile device
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32951 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
S2GmatPrep wrote:
Sajjad1994 wrote:
irisjojojo wrote:

Magnetic cones = 2

Magnetic sphere = 1

Sajjad1994

I don’t think your explanation here is correct. The first part about the ratio of magnetic cones to mag spheres is fine, it is 2:1. But the percentage of solids heavier than 5 or magnetic is 50%. If anything we were not told percentage of what? So if we assume it to be the percentage W.r.to total then it would be 6/12 not 12/6. So how is the answer true in that case? Thanks!

I agree with you, I interchanged the ratios. This statement is False in this case. I will look into it whether there is an issue with the statement or the OA.

Thank you for noticing and informing.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Given Kudos: 165
Concentration: Technology, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.14
Send PM
S2GmatPrep wrote:
Sajjad1994 wrote:
irisjojojo wrote:

:please::heart

Magnetic cones = 2

Magnetic sphere = 1

Sajjad1994

­Good point @S2GmatPrep . 3rd item seems False.
Leaving my contribution here in the attached images regarding the second statement on why it is false.
Attachments

Screenshot from 2024-02-22 20-19-44.png
Screenshot from 2024-02-22 20-19-44.png [ 124.72 KiB | Viewed 239 times ]

Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 197 [0]
Given Kudos: 146
Send PM
Sajjad1994 wrote:
irisjojojo wrote:

Magnetic cones = 2

Magnetic sphere = 1

Clearly S3 is wrongly framed.

Also look into S2, what exactly does higher rank stands for ? is it numerically higher or status wise higher?
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GRE Forum Moderator
13961 posts
DI Forum Moderator
1030 posts