GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Aug 2019, 07:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Surveys indicate that 52 percent of all women aged eighteen

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 06 Sep 2013
Posts: 1633
Concentration: Finance
GMAT ToolKit User
Surveys indicate that 52 percent of all women aged eighteen  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2013, 18:19
4
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  15% (low)

Question Stats:

80% (01:45) correct 20% (01:57) wrong based on 348 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Surveys indicate that 52 percent of all women aged eighteen to sixty-five are in the labor force (employed outside the home) in any given month. On the basis of these surveys, a market researcher concluded that 48 percent of all women aged eighteen to sixty-five are full-time homemakers year-round.
Which of the following, if true, would most seriously weaken the researcher's conclusion?

(A) More women are in the labor force today than during any other period since the Second World War.
(B) Many workers, both men and women, enter and exit the labor force frequently.
(C) Although only a small sample of the total population is surveyed each month, these samples have been found to be a reliable indicator of total monthly employment.
(D) Surveys show that more women than ever before consider having a rewarding job an important priority.
(E) Women who are in the labor force have more discretionary income available to them than do women who are not.
Current Student
User avatar
B
Status: Admitted to U of M Ross
Joined: 01 Dec 2012
Posts: 85
Location: United States (TX)
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 2.9
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Re: Surveys indicate that 52 percent of all women aged eighteen  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2013, 19:59
3
I think the answer is Option B.

The fact is that monthly results show 52% working rates. The conclusion is that 48% of women are full time in a year

To most weaken, the above conclusion, if we know that monthly rates are not true indicators of year round performance, that'd be the best choice. Option B states that there are many "ins" and "out" in the job market -> So no particular worker is employed year round with 100% surety. Thus, option B is the best choice.

Hope it helps!
_________________
Regards,
Vishnu

Article --> http://www.topmba.com/blog/could-mba-degree-be-way-forward
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 04 Dec 2011
Posts: 17
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 750 Q50 V41
CAT Tests
Re: Surveys indicate that 52 percent of all women aged eighteen  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Oct 2013, 08:49
vishnuns39620 wrote:
I think the answer is Option B.

The fact is that monthly results show 52% working rates. The conclusion is that 48% of women are full time in a year

To most weaken, the above conclusion, if we know that monthly rates are not true indicators of year round performance, that'd be the best choice. Option B states that there are many "ins" and "out" in the job market -> So no particular worker is employed year round with 100% surety. Thus, option B is the best choice.

Hope it helps!


I do understand your point but in the comparison it is stated that any given month.So it mean the 52% is representation of 12 months of data instead of 1 month.
Can you pls let me know if I am missing any thing.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 04 Dec 2011
Posts: 17
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 750 Q50 V41
CAT Tests
Re: Surveys indicate that 52 percent of all women aged eighteen  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Oct 2013, 08:52
jlgdr wrote:
Surveys indicate that 52 percent of all women aged eighteen to sixty-five are in the labor force (employed outside the home) in any given month. On the basis of these surveys, a market researcher concluded that 48 percent of all women aged eighteen to sixty-five are full-time homemakers year-round.
Which of the following, if true, would most seriously weaken the researcher's conclusion?

(A) More women are in the labor force today than during any other period since the Second World War.
(B) Many workers, both men and women, enter and exit the labor force frequently.
(C) Although only a small sample of the total population is surveyed each month, these samples have been found to be a reliable indicator of total monthly employment.
(D) Surveys show that more women than ever before consider having a rewarding job an important priority.
(E) Women who are in the labor force have more discretionary income available to them than do women who are not.


I thought of D Because.

Surveys shows more women will be interested and hence this result may go up from 52%.
Have said that I would like to know whether the resercher report is about the past year or he is stating some fact about the future year?

@magoosh:Pls help me out.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 22 Feb 2009
Posts: 158
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Surveys indicate that 52 percent of all women aged eighteen  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2014, 23:36
jlgdr wrote:
Surveys indicate that 52 percent of all women aged eighteen to sixty-five are in the labor force (employed outside the home) in any given month. On the basis of these surveys, a market researcher concluded that 48 percent of all women aged eighteen to sixty-five are full-time homemakers year-round.
Which of the following, if true, would most seriously weaken the researcher's conclusion?

(A) More women are in the labor force today than during any other period since the Second World War.
(B) Many workers, both men and women, enter and exit the labor force frequently.
(C) Although only a small sample of the total population is surveyed each month, these samples have been found to be a reliable indicator of total monthly employment.
(D) Surveys show that more women than ever before consider having a rewarding job an important priority.
(E) Women who are in the labor force have more discretionary income available to them than do women who are not.


To me, the conclusion is too strong to conclude that 48 percent of all women aged eighteen to sixty-five are full-time homemakers year-round. we need something that says 48% of all women may be full-time homemakers but not all year- round. B explains that women enter and exit the labor force frequently, so 48% of women may still participate in labor force but not during the time of the survey.
_________________
.........................................................................
+1 Kudos please, if you like my post
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 03 Feb 2018
Posts: 93
Reviews Badge
Re: Surveys indicate that 52 percent of all women aged eighteen  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2018, 19:57
jlgdr wrote:
Surveys indicate that 52 percent of all women aged eighteen to sixty-five are in the labor force (employed outside the home) in any given month. On the basis of these surveys, a market researcher concluded that 48 percent of all women aged eighteen to sixty-five are full-time homemakers year-round.
Which of the following, if true, would most seriously weaken the researcher's conclusion?

(A) More women are in the labor force today than during any other period since the Second World War.
(B) Many workers, both men and women, enter and exit the labor force frequently.
(C) Although only a small sample of the total population is surveyed each month, these samples have been found to be a reliable indicator of total monthly employment.
(D) Surveys show that more women than ever before consider having a rewarding job an important priority.
(E) Women who are in the labor force have more discretionary income available to them than do women who are not.



Hi Experts,

None of the options makes sense to me. Please, help me understanding this question.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 27 Jan 2018
Posts: 47
Re: Surveys indicate that 52 percent of all women aged eighteen  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2018, 06:07
I think it is B.in those 52% there might be part timers who only work for few days in a week.hence B

Sent from my SM-J700F using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 29 Oct 2015
Posts: 188
Surveys indicate that 52 percent of all women aged eighteen  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2019, 04:59
sanjeebpanda wrote:
jlgdr wrote:
Surveys indicate that 52 percent of all women aged eighteen to sixty-five are in the labor force (employed outside the home) in any given month. On the basis of these surveys, a market researcher concluded that 48 percent of all women aged eighteen to sixty-five are full-time homemakers year-round.
Which of the following, if true, would most seriously weaken the researcher's conclusion?

(A) More women are in the labor force today than during any other period since the Second World War.
(B) Many workers, both men and women, enter and exit the labor force frequently.
(C) Although only a small sample of the total population is surveyed each month, these samples have been found to be a reliable indicator of total monthly employment.
(D) Surveys show that more women than ever before consider having a rewarding job an important priority.
(E) Women who are in the labor force have more discretionary income available to them than do women who are not.


I thought of D Because.

Surveys shows more women will be interested and hence this result may go up from 52%.
Have said that I would like to know whether the resercher report is about the past year or he is stating some fact about the future year?

@magoosh:Pls help me out.


The conclusion is : 48 percent of all women aged eighteen to sixty-five are full-time homemakers year-round.

We need to show that " 48 percent of all women aged eighteen to sixty-five are NOT full-time homemakers year-round.
Option B states that " Many workers, both men and women, enter and exit the labor force frequently.".

If " Many workers, both men and women, enter and exit the labor force frequently." , then we can say that "48 percent of all women aged eighteen to sixty-five are NOT full-time homemakers year-round." Some woman is homemaker now but at some other point of time , she joins the labor force. So we can not say the woman is a home maker year-round.


Is my explanation correct VeritasKarishma chetan2u GMATNinja generis ?
Director
Director
User avatar
P
Joined: 14 Feb 2017
Posts: 896
Location: Australia
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
Schools: LBS '22
GMAT 1: 560 Q41 V26
GMAT 2: 550 Q43 V23
GMAT 3: 650 Q47 V33
GMAT 4: 650 Q44 V36
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Surveys indicate that 52 percent of all women aged eighteen  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2019, 01:28
1
The argument is that 48% of all women aged 18-55 are full-time homemakers YEAR_Round.
This is based on a survey that indicates that 52% of all women aged 18 to 65 are in the labour force in any given month.

We are asked to weaken this argument.
A is incorrect. we aren't concerned about WW2 times.
B is correct because we are presented a fact that counters the claim that 48% are full-time YEAR-round house-makers. If women enter and exit the LF frequently then the accuracy of the integrity and accuracy of the survey is at hand.
C is incorrect because it solidifies the researchers claim. If the data is actually accurate then it may be more likely that accurate deductions can be made about the data.
D is irrelevant to the deduction made.
E is irrelevant to the deduction from the statistics.
_________________
Goal: Q49, V41

+1 Kudos if you like my post pls!
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Surveys indicate that 52 percent of all women aged eighteen   [#permalink] 03 Aug 2019, 01:28
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Surveys indicate that 52 percent of all women aged eighteen

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne