It is currently 18 Nov 2017, 18:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Target 750 - 2 months to go - Q39 V31 today

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
WE: Operations (Other)
Target 750 - 2 months to go - Q39 V31 today [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2017, 22:37
Hi all :-) ,

I'm new to this forum and this is my first post, so kindly forgive me if I don't adhere to any of the protocols or rules. I assure you, they are unintentional :oops: .

Getting to my question, I have under 2 months to take the GMAT and as of today, I am at the 580 score range with Q39 and V31 as my raw score from Manhattan Prep mock CAT. I am using the 2016 and 2017 OG, 2016 Quant and Verbal reviews, and manhattan prep strategy guides (planning to purchase), along with the IMS gmat material. I did the official GMAT prep mock 10 days ago and I scored 570 (Q31 V29). I'm happy to attach the detailed analysis of the performance on the manhattan prep CAT if that is required.

As I believe that all we need to do is ask for what we want, and the universe will give it to us, here I go ;) . I would love it if someone can handhold me and help me get a study plan to achieve this score (in 2 months time), along with test taking strategies so that I can achieve my target 750 score.

I have read a few success stories on this forum and they all have mentioned that this forum has been very helpful in their GMAT prep, look forward to your help and a great performance on the GMAT :-) .
Attachments

File comment: Manhattan prep Free CAT detailed analysis
Screenshot 2017-09-29 10.56.41.png
Screenshot 2017-09-29 10.56.41.png [ 61.75 KiB | Viewed 571 times ]

1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
P

Kudos [?]: 237 [1], given: 195

Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Target 750 - 2 months to go - Q39 V31 today [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2017, 22:53
This post received
KUDOS
Hello demblr - You took the right step of appearing for a moc. This definitely helps to know where you stand in your GMAT journey and how much effort do you need to put in.

When it comes to study plan, I would recommend you to go through forum as there are some great study plans out there.

Few things you can keep in mind:

1. Ensure you spend sufficient time on your weak area
2. Give enough time for analysis of wrong and right answers. It is very important to know why you are getting a certain answer wrong and equally to check if the logic of the correct answer makes sense.
3. Frequently appear for mocs to gauge your performance

Based on the Manhattan analysis - We can see that SC should be your focus.

Along with Offical OG questions, I would recommend you to follow the explanations provided by experts, OG explanations are not always great.

Hope this helps.

"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not: nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not: the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent."

Worried About IDIOMS? Here is a Daily Practice List: https://gmatclub.com/forum/idiom-s-ydmuley-s-daily-practice-list-250731.html#p1937393

Best AWA Template: https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html#p470475

Kudos [?]: 237 [1], given: 195

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
P

Kudos [?]: 44 [1], given: 18

sandeep : sharma
Concentration: International Business, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.9
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2017, 01:30
This post received
KUDOS
Hi demblr.

go to www.mba.com and download the official gprep software. This is free of cost .
write your mock with Gprep software and let us know what is your score . These tests are real representation of GMAT.

As I can see you score Q39 and V31, you require little prep for verbal . You have to raise your score to V41 Q50 to score 750
for quant read manhattan quant guides and use GMAT club quant tests.

Thanks
71 tough IR questions218-ds-questions-for-practice
awa-ppt-the-best-resource-for-gmat
new-critical-reasoning-super-megathread-updated

Kudos [?]: 44 [1], given: 18

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2017, 02:45
Hi mbaaspirant80,

Thank you for your response. I have the software and I took their mock test 1 10 days ago on which I scored 570 (Q39, V29).

Regarding the manhattan books, do you recommend i use all the strategy guides along with the OG? I bought the advanced quant book but it says this book will help me get from Q47 to 50. So should I pick up the strategy guides along with the fundamentals of quant? I am a little stuck wrt making this decision.

mbaaspirant80 wrote:
Hi demblr.

go to www . mba . com and download the official gprep software. This is free of cost .
write your mock with Gprep software and let us know what is your score . These tests are real representation of GMAT.

As I can see you score Q39 and V31, you require little prep for verbal . You have to raise your score to V41 Q50 to score 750
for quant read manhattan quant guides and use GMAT club quant tests.

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2017, 04:19
Hi ydmuley,

Thanks for your response. DO you suggest I buy the manhattan prep strategy guides along with the fundamentals of verbal books to improve my score?

Also, how do i improve my quant score from 39 to 50 and verbal score from 31 to 44? Any specific tips that I'll need to employ?

- You took the right step of appearing for a moc. This definitely helps to know where you stand in your GMAT journey and how much effort do you need to put in.

When it comes to study plan, I would recommend you to go through forum as there are some great study plans out there.

Few things you can keep in mind:

1. Ensure you spend sufficient time on your weak area
2. Give enough time for analysis of wrong and right answers. It is very important to know why you are getting a certain answer wrong and equally to check if the logic of the correct answer makes sense.
3. Frequently appear for mocs to gauge your performance

Based on the Manhattan analysis - We can see that SC should be your focus.

Along with Offical OG questions, I would recommend you to follow the explanations provided by experts, OG explanations are not always great.

Hope this helps.[/quote]

Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
P
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat

Kudos [?]: 3506 [0], given: 173

GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2017, 16:19
Hi demblr,

To start, a 570 is a strong initial CAT Score (the average score on the Official GMAT hovers around 540-550 most years). That having been said, raising a 570 to a 750+ will likely take at least another 3 months of consistent, guided study - and you'll have to make significant improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections. While chances are pretty good that you don't need a GMAT Score that high to get into your first-choice Business School, if you're dead-set on that Score goal, then you will likely need more study time than you've allotted. Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on your goals:

1) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
2) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2017, 22:49
Hi Rich,

Thank you for your response!

Well, I plan to apply to Business School in 2020. However, I am getting done with GMAT right now as I have a window of opportunity to finish the test now and not have to worry about it later. This is because I can dedicate one whole month to the test (no work for now), so I would like to capitalise on the time I have now to get a great score.

Regarding the schools I plan to apply, they are Stanford GSB, Wharton, Berkeley, Krannert, LBS (these are broadly my dream schools).

I have read that the gmat requires around 120 to 180 hours of study which I can dedicate in the next month. SO I'd love to know if you can suggest a study plan to take advantage of the time I have now.

Thanks for the response once again!

Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
P
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat

GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 30 Sep 2017, 17:38
Hi demblr,

The plan to take care of the GMAT now (years before you will actually apply to Business School) was a really smart choice. You've named some highly competitive Schools, so a strong GMAT score will be a 'must.' To that end, you have to continue to make smart choices - but trying to 'cram' all of your studies into a shorter time period than you probably need is likely not going to be the best choice. The 750+ score is essentially the 99th percentile, meaning that 99% of Test Takers will never score that high regardless of how long they study or the number of times that they take the GMAT. If you're dead-set on that Score Goal, then you will have to be ready to adjust your Study Plan if needed. I would strongly advise that you do that 'earlier' in the process than later (so that you can efficiently use ALL of your study time), but that choice is ultimately up to you.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Re: Target 750 - 2 months to go - Q39 V31 today   [#permalink] 30 Sep 2017, 17:38

Target 750 - 2 months to go - Q39 V31 today

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

HOT DEALS FOR NOVEMBER
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
Target Test Prep - $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
EMPOWERgmat - $99/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap