GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 09 Dec 2018, 13:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Algebra Webinar

December 09, 2018

December 09, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Attend this Free Algebra Webinar and learn how to master Inequalities and Absolute Value problems on GMAT.
  • Free lesson on number properties

December 10, 2018

December 10, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Practice the one most important Quant section - Integer properties, and rapidly improve your skills.

Ten years ago, the total share of federal, state, and local taxes

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

General GMAT Forum Moderator
V
WE: General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Ten years ago, the total share of federal, state, and local taxes  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 May 2017, 00:01
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

60% (01:22) correct 40% (01:41) wrong based on 236 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Ten years ago, the total share of federal, state, and local taxes was 23 percent of the nation’s Gross National Product. Now, that share has decreased to 21 percent.

Which one of the following can be properly inferred from the facts given above?

(A) The total amount of federal, state, and local taxes paid now is less than the amount paid ten years ago.
(B) On average, people now have a better standard of living than they did ten years ago.
(C) The average taxpayer keeps a greater percentage of income for his own use than he did ten years ago.
(D) Federal, state, and local governments have reduced the level of services they offer to constituents.
(E) Inefficiency and fraud have been reduced in government services.

If you liked my post, kindly give me a Kudos. Thanks.

Director
Director
D
Premium Member
Re: Ten years ago, the total share of federal, state, and local taxes  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 May 2017, 01:22
rohan2345 wrote:
Ten years ago, the total share of federal, state, and local taxes was 23 percent of the nation’s Gross National Product. Now, that share has decreased to 21 percent.

(A) The total amount of federal, state, and local taxes paid now is less than the amount paid ten years ago.
(B) On average, people now have a better standard of living than they did ten years ago.
(C) The average taxpayer keeps a greater percentage of income for his own use than he did ten years ago.
(D) Federal, state, and local governments have reduced the level of services they offer to constituents.

How can we really infer C
earlier it was 23% now it is 21%
it could mean that the total share of F, S and local taxes decreased with respect to GDP it could also mean that F S and Local taxes remained constant but GDP increased .
C and A seems similar, if the average tax payer keeps a greater percentage of his income then it means that he is paying less tax now than he paid 10 years ago.
So taxes in effect decreased.

Am I missing something, percentage questions tend to be tricky.

- Stne

Manager
Manager
S
Schools: IIMA , IIMA PGPX"18
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.91
Reviews Badge
Re: Ten years ago, the total share of federal, state, and local taxes  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 May 2017, 02:17
(A) The total amount of federal, state, and local taxes paid now is less than the amount paid ten years ago. Incorrect ( May be GNP increased so much in 10 years that today's gnp's 21% is greater than that of 10 year before gnp's 23%)

(B) On average, people now have a better standard of living than they did ten years ago. It can be right

(C) The average taxpayer keeps a greater percentage of income for his own use than he did ten years ago. Correct

(D) Federal, state, and local governments have reduced the level of services they offer to constituents. Incorrect

(E) Inefficiency and fraud have been reduced in government services. Out of Scope

Between B and C, C seems to be more appropriate. :)

KUDOS :P

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need.

“The great secret of true success, of true happiness, is this: the man or woman who asks for no return, the perfectly unselfish person, is the most successful.”
-Swami Vivekananda

VP
VP
D
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 12 May 2017, 09:05
Although i got it right , but please post official explanation.

Please give kudos if you found my answers useful

General GMAT Forum Moderator
V
WE: General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 12 May 2017, 10:48
arvind910619 wrote:
Although i got it right , but please post official explanation.

Hi Arvind,

Sure. Here is the official Explanation

If the various levels of government collect a smaller share of the GNP through taxes, then the average taxpayer keeps a larger share. The answer is (C). Be careful of choice (A): it commits an error by failing to distinguish between percentage and amount. While the percentage share of taxes has decreased, the overall amount of tax revenue could have increased if the GNP is larger than it was ten years ago. The other choices can not be logically inferred from the passage. Each choice offers a possible cause or effect of the tax reduction, but none of these must occur.

Hope this helps. All the best.

If you liked my post, kindly give me a Kudos. Thanks.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.81
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Ten years ago, the total share of federal, state, and local taxes  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2017, 01:46
This question can convincingly be solving using POE. Option C doesn't jump out to me as correct answer choice. Option C states that Tax payers are paying lesser percentage from their income. But the issue is, it could be possible that an average tax payer's income has increased, and now even a smaller percentage equates to the same percentage contribution as before. Hence there isn't any change in the total money contributed via taxes. But still the total %tage contribution to GNP is lower. This could be because other parts contributing to 100% GNP might have grown in percentage, there by increasing the total $$ of GNP of which taxes, since the same as before, now forms a smaller percentage. It's a "could be" scenario hence option C is not 100% convincing.

i hope it makes sense. Let me know, if I am wrong somewhere?

Citius, Altius, Fortius

Director
Director
P
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.76

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2017, 21:39
rohan2345 wrote:

By POE we can get to C ...
While solving infer question based on percentage.I always try to avoid answer choices reflecting numbers (such as here we can see "total amount" in answer choice A).Correct answer choice in these type of question almost always deal in fraction , ratio or percentage .
Manager
Manager
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2018, 01:43
stne wrote:
rohan2345 wrote:

How can we really infer C
earlier it was 23% now it is 21%
it could mean that the total share of F, S and local taxes decreased with respect to GDP it could also mean that F S and Local taxes remained constant but GDP increased .
C and A seems similar, if the average tax payer keeps a greater percentage of his income then it means that he is paying less tax now than he paid 10 years ago.
So taxes in effect decreased.

Am I missing something, percentage questions tend to be tricky.

Hello stne,

Let me put my cents here. Suppose GDP increased. Tax contribution might have increased proportionately as the argument has not disclosed any Tax variation in the mentioned period.
Another thing might have happened. People might have shown a greater percentage of their income as various investments and paid less tax.
I am an Engineer working in an Indian Manufacturing Company. I pay my tax considering my income slabs, accepted exemption and total amount of investment. As per this argument, first 2 elements remain same. So, my tax proportion may vary considering the proportion of my investment.
If I am investing more, I am paying less tax.
Considering my real life scenario I went for option C.

Hope, it helps.
Not an expert. We can argue.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Ten years ago, the total share of federal, state, and local taxes &nbs [#permalink] 22 Aug 2018, 01:43

Ten years ago, the total share of federal, state, and local taxes

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap