GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Apr 2019, 01:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The basic process of selecting the President of the United States is..

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 560 Q41 V26
GMAT 2: 550 Q43 V23
GPA: 2.61
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
CAT Tests
The basic process of selecting the President of the United States is..  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2019, 18:06
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

47% (01:33) correct 53% (01:24) wrong based on 81 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The basic process of selecting the President of the United States is spelled out in the U.S. Constitution, which has been modified by subsequent amendments, leading to the addition of many additional steps.

(A) in the U.S. Constitution, which has been modified by subsequent amendments, leading to the addition of many additional steps
(B) in the U.S. Constitution and it has been modified by subsequent amendments, leading to the addition of many additional steps
(C) in the U.S. Constitution and has been modified by subsequent amendments, leading to many additional steps
(D) in the U.S. Constitution and is modified by subsequent amendments, which have led to the addition of many additional steps
(E) in the U.S. Constitution and has been modified by subsequent amendments, leading to the addition of many steps
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: HEC MiM '21
GPA: 4
Re: The basic process of selecting the President of the United States is..  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2019, 11:03
daagh Could you please explain how E is the correct answer :(
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 600 Q44 V28
GMAT 2: 630 Q42 V34
GMAT 3: 660 Q48 V34
CAT Tests
The basic process of selecting the President of the United States is..  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2019, 12:37
(E) in the U.S. Constitution and has been modified by subsequent amendments, leading to the addition of many steps
v-ing modifier after comma modifies a preceding clause but the doer of the action has to be the subject of the modified clause; this is not the case here. So, for me E is wrong for this reason.

I choose D. Would be great to hear from experts
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 600 Q44 V28
GMAT 2: 630 Q42 V34
GMAT 3: 660 Q48 V34
CAT Tests
Re: The basic process of selecting the President of the United States is..  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2019, 15:04
I have doubts why E is correct answer choice.
v-ing modifier after comma modifies a preceding clause but the doer of the action has to be the subject of the modified clause. Not sure how this rule works for passive, the case which can be seen in E.
Target Test Prep Representative
P
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2019, 19:16
ankaua wrote:
I have doubts why E is correct answer choice.
v-ing modifier after comma modifies a preceding clause but the doer of the action has to be the subject of the modified clause. Not sure how this rule works for passive, the case which can be seen in E.

Good question.

The use of the relative clause in (D) is slightly better than the use of the participial phrase in (E), though how amendments would lead to the addition of steps is not clear.

I guess perhaps the redundant nature of "addition" + "additional" in (D) is worse than the use of the participial phrase with the passive in (E), but maybe it's not.

I doubt you'll ever see the type of construction that appears in (E) in a "correct" answer in a Sentence Correction question, but given some of the weird and debatably incorrect structures I have seen in "correct" choices, I would not rule out the possibility entirely. You have to be a little flexible with the rules in SC. Sometimes finding an OA is a matter of finding the best of some not so great structures.

In any case, this question is a little weak on a few fronts. It's clearly meant to highlight the issue of redundancy, and doesn't do much else very well; none of the versions are well written.

So, the upshot is that you can't be too rigid in your application of rules, or even logic, in SC, and, at the same time, this question and its OA are not great examples of the types of things you will see on the actual GMAT.

Marty Murray

Chief Curriculum and Content Architect

Marty@targettestprep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
122 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 14 Apr 2019, 01:18
What is wrong with C?

Is it because "leading to" does not work with "steps"?

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
Re: The basic process of selecting the President of the United States is..   [#permalink] 14 Apr 2019, 01:18

The basic process of selecting the President of the United States is..

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap