GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Oct 2019, 17:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The beer industry is still very profitable and the projections are tha

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Manager
Manager
Schools: Chicago Booth Class of 2013
Reviews Badge
The beer industry is still very profitable and the projections are tha  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 27 Jan 2019, 04:59
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

62% (01:50) correct 38% (02:00) wrong based on 546 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The beer industry is still very profitable and the projections are that it will remain so. In the United States this year, the total amount of beer sold by breweries has increased, even though the number of adults who drink beer has decreased.

Each of the following, if true, could explain the simultaneous increase in beer sales and decrease in the number of adults who drink beer EXCEPT:

A. During this year, the number of women who have begun to drink beer is greater than the number of men who have quit drinking beer.

B. The number of underage people who have begun to drink beer is greater than the number of adults who have quit drinking beer during the same period.

C. During this year, the number of nondrinkers who have begun to drink beer is greater than the number of people who have quit drinking beer.

D. The people who have continued to drink beer consume more beer per person than they have in the past.

E. More of the beer made in the United States this year was exported to other countries than was the case last year.

Originally posted by Financier on 14 Aug 2010, 14:51.
Last edited by Bunuel on 27 Jan 2019, 04:59, edited 1 time in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Re: The beer industry is still very profitable and the projections are tha  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2010, 17:39
Hey All,

Looks like there's some confusion on this one, so I figured I'd weigh in. Always feel free to PM me with any specific questions.

The beer industry is still very profitable and the projections are that it will remain so. In the United States this year, the total amount of beer sold by breweries has increased, even though the number of adults who drink beer has decreased.

Each of the following, if true, could explain the simultaneous increase in beer sales and decrease in the number of adults who drink beer EXCEPT:

This is an explain the discrepancy question, which are often among the simplest on the test. This one makes things a bit more interesting by making it an EXCEPT question, but because it repeats the discrepancy itself in the question stem, all we need to do is think about what explains the EXACT discrepancy (not anything else).

1. During this year, the number of women who have begun to drink beer is greater than the number of men who have quit drinking beer.
ANSWER: This would actually mean MORE people are drinking beer this year. But the discrepancy is that FEWER people are drinking beer, and sales are still up. That doesn't work.

2. The number of underage people who have begun to drink beer is greater than the number of adults who have quit drinking beer during the same period.
PROBLEM: This does explain the discrepancy by playing off the word "adults". Sales among adults could be down, but sales among the underage could be up (more than adult sales are down), leading to the described discrepancy.

3. During this year, the number of nondrinkers who have begun to drink beer is greater than the number of people who have quit drinking beer.
PROBLEM: Again, they're playing with "people" over "adults". This could thus explain the discrepancy if the people aren't adults.

4. The people who have continued to drink beer consume more beer per person than they have in the past.
PROBLEM: This does explain the discrepancy. In fact, it's the most obvious. I think D is popular here because people missed the EXCEPT. Classic!

5. More of the beer made in the United States this year was exported to other countries than was the case last year.
PROBLEM: This explains why there are more sales, in spite of the fact that fewer people are drinking.

Hope that helps!

-tommy

P.S. In the future, don't put "easy one" on a question or no one will look at it. This one's actually quite tricky!

Tommy Wallach | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | San Francisco

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Schools: Chicago Booth Class of 2013
Reviews Badge
The beer industry is still very profitable and the projections are tha  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 27 Jan 2019, 05:00

Originally posted by Financier on 14 Aug 2010, 22:43.
Last edited by Bunuel on 27 Jan 2019, 05:00, edited 2 times in total.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2010, 22:50
A it is.

The argument:

Fact 1: The total beer sold increased.
Fact 2: The total # of adult drink beer decreased.

The question is, how can the total # of adult decreased and the total beer sold still increase? Which answer could explain this? (We looking in this case for the answer that doesn't explain this)

D said that, (even though the total # of adults drinking beer decreased) the # of people who remain drinking drink a lot more than they did in the past. This could explain Fact 1, fact 2 is just accepted in this case. Therefore D explains the situation hence Incorrect here.

A said the number of women begin drinking > the number of men quit drinking. What do we have? Remember both women and men are adults, therefore the # of adults begin drinking > the number of adult quit drinking. Thus we should have the # of adults drinking increase. This contradicts fact 2. Thus exactly what we are looking for.
Director
Director
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: University of Chicago Booth School of Business
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The beer industry is still very profitable and the projections are tha  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2010, 21:31
A complicates the paradox without doubt.

a) During this year, the number of women who have begun to drink beer is greater than the number of men who have quit drinking beer. ------> I believe this choice even contradicts the premise.

Premise : the total amount of beer sold by breweries has increased, even though the number of adults who drink beer has decreased.----> You are not allowed to contradict the premise.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 08 Mar 2011, 15:58
A) is comparing the
-number of women who have begun to drink
-no. of men who have quit drinking
to solve the discrepancy on the question u also need to have data about
-no. of women who have quit drinking
-no. of men who have begun to drink.
Manager
Manager
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 01 Jan 2015, 16:11
Let us handle it this way,

The question, which could explain the simultaneous increase in beer sales and decrease in the number of adults who drink beer EXCEPT

D: The people who have continued to drink beer consume more beer per person than they have in the past.---This explains the question. So not our answer

Now if you could see, A and C are close in reason with a minor difference.
C: During this year, the number of nondrinkers who have begun to drink beer is greater than the number of people who have quit drinking beer.----This says as in whole numbers. Let the total number of past drinkers be 100. If more non drinkers joined the club(say 100) and less drinkers left(say 50). Now sum up the new total... it will be 150... it states there is an increase in number... This is not surely our answer..

A: During this year, the number of women who have begun to drink beer is greater than the number of men who have quit drinking beer.----Here we are not given with the number of women who quit drinking... Unless we know that we cannot deciper the cause needed... So this does not explain the incr in profit and decrease in number of adult... making this our answer....
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
GPA: 3.35
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2015, 02:09
If the number of women drinking beer is greater than the number of men who drink beer then this does not explain the reason for the decrease in number of adults drinking beer and simulteneous increase in beer sells.
Non-Human User

Show Tags

New post 27 Jan 2019, 04:56
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: The beer industry is still very profitable and the projections are tha   [#permalink] 27 Jan 2019, 04:56

The beer industry is still very profitable and the projections are tha

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics