Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 21:44 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 21:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28570 [22]
Given Kudos: 130
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1188 [2]
Given Kudos: 172
GPA: 3.46
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 154 [0]
Given Kudos: 60
Schools: ISB '15
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: The disaster agency revealed to the press the power of the [#permalink]
Really tricky question. The answer is E as "fear for" is the correct idiom here
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28570 [1]
Kudos
Expert Reply
seabhi wrote:
Good question.
Is "It" referring to the "Agency" or the "Press".

Dear seabhi,
I'm happy to respond. :-)

The Agency is the main subject and the folks at the Agency are the ones doing the talking --- the press is only in a receptive role in this sentence, receiving the statement of the Agency. Therefore, it's very clear the "it" refers to the Agency.

Does this make sense?
Mike :-)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 154 [0]
Given Kudos: 60
Schools: ISB '15
Send PM
@mikemcgarry
thanks for the explanation.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 63
Send PM
Bookmarks
Hi Mike,

Can you please elaborate more on the use of 'because of' & 'due to'?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [3]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
'Fear of' is a misfit in the contest primarily because it may wrongly mean that the Agency itself was frightened by the survivors' welfare, or the Agency merely repeated the survivors' fears about their own welfare rather than bringing out the agency's concern about the survivors' welfare. On the contrary, 'fear for' brings out the intended meaning forthrightly.
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Kudos
Expert Reply
anuj.gmat wrote:
Hi Mike,

Can you please elaborate more on the use of 'because of' & 'due to'?

Dear anuj.gmat,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

Here's a blog that discusses the matter in depth.
GMAT Sentence Correction: the “Due To” Mistake

Let me know if you have any questions.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 63
Send PM
Mike,

You're a true savior..

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
mike
Thanks for everything amazing you put out on the forum.

I totally understand the reason as to why E is the right answer, but I want to learn about the modifiers in option A and E. In both the sentences 'it expressed fear' seems to be a result of the modifier. Could you please let me know if my understanding is correct here.

A) with continuing rain preventing relief efforts
B) because continuing rain was preventing relief efforts

Thanks
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8808 [0]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
The disaster agency revealed to the press the power of the hurricane and the extent of its damage, and, with continuing rain preventing relief efforts, it expressed fear of the welfare of the survivors.
(A) with continuing rain preventing relief efforts, it expressed fear of - Idiom fear of is incorrect as it leads to illogical meaning
(B) with continuing rain preventing relief efforts, they expressed fear for - usage of plural they for the singular agency
(C) because continuing rain was preventing relief efforts, they expressed fear for - usage of plural they for the singular agency
(D) because continuing rain was preventing relief efforts, they expressed fear of - usage of plural they for the singular agency; fear of idiom is incorrect here
(E) because continuing rain was preventing relief efforts, it expressed fear for - Correct

Answer E
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 370 [0]
Given Kudos: 99
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:
The disaster agency revealed to the press the power of the hurricane and the extent of its damage, and, with continuing rain preventing relief efforts, it expressed fear of the welfare of the survivors.
(A) with continuing rain preventing relief efforts, it expressed fear of
(B) with continuing rain preventing relief efforts, they expressed fear for
(C) because continuing rain was preventing relief efforts, they expressed fear for
(D) because continuing rain was preventing relief efforts, they expressed fear of
(E) because continuing rain was preventing relief efforts, it expressed fear for

Many words idiomatically take a single preposition, but some take more than one, and which they take depends on context. This is called a "mixed idiom." One thing tested in this question is the mixed idiom --- here, "fear for" vs. "fear of".

Here's a free idiom ebook:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/gmat-idiom-ebook/

Here's a blog that discusses several mixed idioms and gives a full explanation for this particular question:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/mixed-idioms-on-the-gmat/

A,D are immediately out. We need 'for' instead of 'of'.
B,C are out as these sentences refers to 'The disaster agency' as 'they'. Out.

We are left with E, and that is the answer.
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
The disaster agency revealed to the press the power of the [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
origen87 wrote:
mike
Thanks for everything amazing you put out on the forum.

I totally understand the reason as to why E is the right answer, but I want to learn about the modifiers in option A and E. In both the sentences 'it expressed fear' seems to be a result of the modifier. Could you please let me know if my understanding is correct here.

A) with continuing rain preventing relief efforts
B) because continuing rain was preventing relief efforts

Thanks

Dear origen87,

I'm happy to respond. :-) Thank you for your kind words. :-)

Here's what I'll say. Read this blog article:
with + noun + participle on GMAT Sentence Correction
That article spells out the precise distinction at play here.

Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Given Kudos: 932
Send PM
The disaster agency revealed to the press the power of the [#permalink]
My reasoning:

(A) with continuing rain preventing relief efforts, it expressed fear of -meaning issue - you cannot really fear survivors' welfare ('fear of')
(B) with continuing rain preventing relief efforts, they expressed fear for they - wrong pronoun for 'agency'/ 'with' doesn't really show the cumulative effect of rain that gets in the way of relief efforts
(C) because continuing rain was preventing relief efforts, they expressed fear for 'they' not correct for agency
(D) because continuing rain was preventing relief efforts, they expressed fear of 'fear of'
(E) because continuing rain was preventing relief efforts, it expressed fear for uses 'it'for agency and 'fear for' the survivors well being
So E is correct is all respects
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5650 [2]
Given Kudos: 416
Send PM