GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 14 Oct 2019, 11:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The great Laptop discussion forum

  new topic post reply Update application status  
Author Message
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 19 Mar 2007
Posts: 492
Re: The great Laptop discussion forum  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2008, 10:17
Are there any Christmas or New Year discounts for X200? Historically, does the price after 1 January remain the same? Also, is it worth retaining Vista on these machines?

I can't see the option of adding 2.8 MHz processor to X200. Did it really exist?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 19 May 2008
Posts: 41
Re: The great Laptop discussion forum  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2008, 12:17
Guys

Any Mac users out there with installed Vista? I'm trying to figure out if I should convert to Mac purely for its slickness and light weight (the MacBook 13.3")
I've read about some issues about running Windows in VMware mode but what about having it installed on a separate partition?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 19 Mar 2007
Posts: 492
Re: The great Laptop discussion forum  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2009, 19:15
Folks, I need your advice on the optimal configuration of X200. What to increase, what to leave at the same level?
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Status: Burning mid-night oil....daily
Joined: 07 Nov 2008
Posts: 2398
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Reviews Badge
Re: The great Laptop discussion forum  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2009, 19:28
nick_sun wrote:
Folks, I need your advice on the optimal configuration of X200. What to increase, what to leave at the same level?


Assuming you are installing Vista in there, here's my recommendation.
(Recently bought Sony Vaio TT Series)

#
Intel Core2 Duo processor P8600 (2.40GHz, 3MB L2, 1066MHz FSB)
#
Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium
#
12.1 WXGA (1280x800), 2x2 UltraConnect II antenna , WWAN, Camera
#
4 GB PC3-8500 DDR3 SDRAM 1067MHz SODIMM Memory (2 DIMM)
#
TrackPoint
#
160GB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm
#
3-1 Media Card Reader without Modem
#
Integrated Bluetooth PAN
#
ThinkPad 11b/g Wireless LAN Mini PCI Express Adapter III
#
Integrated AT&T Mobile Broadband (3G)
#
ThinkPad X200 Series 6 cell Li-Ion Battery
#
Country Pack North America with Line cord & 65W AC adapter
_________________
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 12 Jul 2008
Posts: 458
Schools: Wharton
Re: The great Laptop discussion forum  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2009, 09:27
Just a quick reminder that Windows 7 release date is scheduled for Oct/Nov 2009. Most PC manufacturers will give you a free upgrade to the newest OS if you're buying close to the release date. Be sure to ask!
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Status: Burning mid-night oil....daily
Joined: 07 Nov 2008
Posts: 2398
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Reviews Badge
Re: The great Laptop discussion forum  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2009, 11:47
zoinnk wrote:
Just a quick reminder that Windows 7 release date is scheduled for Oct/Nov 2009. Most PC manufacturers will give you a free upgrade to the newest OS if you're buying close to the release date. Be sure to ask!


Unless Windows 7 is going to be another disaster like Vista.....
_________________
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 04 Nov 2008
Posts: 254
Schools: Booth 2012
Re: The great Laptop discussion forum  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jan 2009, 12:06
Actually it sounds like windows 7 is going to be a vast improvement over vista.

The beta is available to download for free from microsoft... While i didn't mess around with it too much, the 30 min or so i did spend were enjoyable.


ninkorn wrote:
zoinnk wrote:
Just a quick reminder that Windows 7 release date is scheduled for Oct/Nov 2009. Most PC manufacturers will give you a free upgrade to the newest OS if you're buying close to the release date. Be sure to ask!


Unless Windows 7 is going to be another disaster like Vista.....
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 11 Nov 2008
Posts: 106
Location: Indonesia
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.64
WE: Asset Management (Investment Banking)
Re: The great Laptop discussion forum  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jan 2009, 12:11
ninkorn wrote:
Unless Windows 7 is going to be another disaster like Vista.....


On the contrary, Windows 7 is like a supercharged vista, taking all the goodness and leaving (almost) all the junk behind. IMO, Windows 7 is what Vista intended to be.

Anyone got a good review on the new Lenovo Thinkpad series such as X200 or X300? How was the keyboard sturdiness? Is it anything compared to previous generation (T6x, T43, etc)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Status: Um... what do you want to know?
Joined: 04 Jun 2007
Posts: 5460
Location: SF, CA, USA
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Re: The great Laptop discussion forum  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jan 2009, 13:19
I have the lenovo X200 and I love it. The size is perfect, the widescreen is nice, and the keyboard is spectacular. Nothing beats Thinkpad keyboards. The perfect touch. :)

And you can get a good system for about $1300 if you have an employee discount. :)
_________________
****************************
GMAT Club Knowledge Vault:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/123
Haas Ambassador
http://gmatclub.com/forum/128-t62555
Kryzak's Profile:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/111-t56286
Member Essays:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/103-t50969
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 04 Nov 2008
Posts: 254
Schools: Booth 2012
Re: The great Laptop discussion forum  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jan 2009, 13:59
Which processor do you have with it? Any issues performance wise?

kryzak wrote:
I have the lenovo X200 and I love it. The size is perfect, the widescreen is nice, and the keyboard is spectacular. Nothing beats Thinkpad keyboards. The perfect touch. :)

And you can get a good system for about $1300 if you have an employee discount. :)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Status: Um... what do you want to know?
Joined: 04 Jun 2007
Posts: 5460
Location: SF, CA, USA
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Re: The great Laptop discussion forum  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jan 2009, 00:21
egy wrote:
Which processor do you have with it? Any issues performance wise?

kryzak wrote:
I have the lenovo X200 and I love it. The size is perfect, the widescreen is nice, and the keyboard is spectacular. Nothing beats Thinkpad keyboards. The perfect touch. :)

And you can get a good system for about $1300 if you have an employee discount. :)


I think I have the top end one, 2.4GHz dual core. Zero performance issues. It runs very fast. Battery life if you're actively using the computer (word, internet, etc...) is roughly 6-ish hours for a 9-cell battery, using level 5 brightness (out of 15).
_________________
****************************
GMAT Club Knowledge Vault:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/123
Haas Ambassador
http://gmatclub.com/forum/128-t62555
Kryzak's Profile:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/111-t56286
Member Essays:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/103-t50969
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 01 Apr 2008
Posts: 353
Schools: Chicago Booth '11
Re: The great Laptop discussion forum  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jan 2009, 14:28
I am a touchpad lover, so I would have to go with the X300. With the options I want, it's just too damned pricey. I will probably end up going with one of the new Dell Studio XPS 13 inchers.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Status: Um... what do you want to know?
Joined: 04 Jun 2007
Posts: 5460
Location: SF, CA, USA
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Re: The great Laptop discussion forum  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jan 2009, 15:27
MeddlingKid wrote:
I am a touchpad lover, so I would have to go with the X300. With the options I want, it's just too damned pricey. I will probably end up going with one of the new Dell Studio XPS 13 inchers.


yeah, if you love touchpad, then check out the new Lenovo IdeaPad netbooks. My classmate got one and they're pretty sweet (11" screen, 2 lb weight, 90% sized keyboards, $300-400)
_________________
****************************
GMAT Club Knowledge Vault:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/123
Haas Ambassador
http://gmatclub.com/forum/128-t62555
Kryzak's Profile:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/111-t56286
Member Essays:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/103-t50969
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 27 Jul 2007
Posts: 862
Location: Sunny So Cal
Schools: CBS, Cornell, Duke, Ross, Darden
Re: The great Laptop discussion forum  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jan 2009, 18:22
kryzak wrote:
MeddlingKid wrote:
I am a touchpad lover, so I would have to go with the X300. With the options I want, it's just too damned pricey. I will probably end up going with one of the new Dell Studio XPS 13 inchers.


yeah, if you love touchpad, then check out the new Lenovo IdeaPad netbooks. My classmate got one and they're pretty sweet (11" screen, 2 lb weight, 90% sized keyboards, $300-400)


Do you think netbooks (or whatever those baby laptop things are called) are sufficient for working on assignments/cases/projects on-campus if we have a solid desktop at home?
_________________
The True Value of YOUR MBA: http://gmatclub.com/forum/103-t64239
GMATClub's Unofficial Chartered Financial Analyst thread: http://gmatclub.com/forum/103-t63245
How Much Weight Does the CFA Carry with Admissions: http://gmatclub.com/forum/103-t68059
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 10 Jun 2006
Posts: 623
Re: The great Laptop discussion forum  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jan 2009, 18:43
ryguy904 wrote:

Do you think netbooks (or whatever those baby laptop things are called) are sufficient for working on assignments/cases/projects on-campus if we have a solid desktop at home?


Who owns a desktop anymore? What is this the 90's? :lol:
CEO
CEO
avatar
Joined: 15 Aug 2003
Posts: 3223
Re: The great Laptop discussion forum  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jan 2009, 19:05
IHateTheGMAT wrote:
ryguy904 wrote:

Do you think netbooks (or whatever those baby laptop things are called) are sufficient for working on assignments/cases/projects on-campus if we have a solid desktop at home?


Who owns a desktop anymore? What is this the 90's? :lol:


I have an iMac. You want to reconsider? :evil: :evil: :oops:
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Status: Um... what do you want to know?
Joined: 04 Jun 2007
Posts: 5460
Location: SF, CA, USA
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Re: The great Laptop discussion forum  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jan 2009, 22:28
IHateTheGMAT wrote:
Who owns a desktop anymore? What is this the 90's? :lol:


be careful what you say on this forum, you're treading in dangerous territory. :twisted:

But to answer ryguy, yes, Netbook should be enough if you have a solid desktop at home (like I do). I just wanted something more powerful so I can just use the laptop when I need to (like to play games or stuff).
_________________
****************************
GMAT Club Knowledge Vault:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/123
Haas Ambassador
http://gmatclub.com/forum/128-t62555
Kryzak's Profile:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/111-t56286
Member Essays:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/103-t50969
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 09 Jan 2007
Posts: 1031
Location: New York, NY
Schools: Chicago Booth Class of 2010
Re: The great Laptop discussion forum  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jan 2009, 23:05
IHateTheGMAT wrote:
ryguy904 wrote:

Do you think netbooks (or whatever those baby laptop things are called) are sufficient for working on assignments/cases/projects on-campus if we have a solid desktop at home?


Who owns a desktop anymore? What is this the 90's? :lol:


I do have an iMac home too, a 24" and I just can't stand work with laptops anymore, hehehehe.


As for the netbooks, I could use for a week one, and they are very limited as far as performance, don't expect too much from them, especially if you will do spread sheets with several data inside it, seriously, running windows already take too much from it.
_________________
Rhyme´s guide to interviewing
http://www.gmatclub.com/forum/t55030

Kwam's Profile
http://gmatclub.com/forum/111-t57360
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Status: Um... what do you want to know?
Joined: 04 Jun 2007
Posts: 5460
Location: SF, CA, USA
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Re: The great Laptop discussion forum  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jan 2009, 01:48
kwam wrote:
I do have an iMac home too, a 24" and I just can't stand work with laptops anymore, hehehehe.


As for the netbooks, I could use for a week one, and they are very limited as far as performance, don't expect too much from them, especially if you will do spread sheets with several data inside it, seriously, running windows already take too much from it.


I mentioned the power thing once and got vehemently attacked by Netbook lovers. :P but it seems that some of the newer ones are powerful enough to do good web surfing, MS Office, and some simple media stuff. Enough to get you by while you're on the road. That's why if you have a good desktop at home, you can consider a netbook.
_________________
****************************
GMAT Club Knowledge Vault:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/123
Haas Ambassador
http://gmatclub.com/forum/128-t62555
Kryzak's Profile:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/111-t56286
Member Essays:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/103-t50969
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Status: Burning mid-night oil....daily
Joined: 07 Nov 2008
Posts: 2398
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Reviews Badge
Re: The great Laptop discussion forum  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jan 2009, 10:03
Hold on to your laptop purchase plans until July 1 2009.

Microsoft will give new PC buyers a free upgrade to Windows 7 (from Vista) starting this date.


http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=1791
_________________
GMAT Club Bot
Re: The great Laptop discussion forum   [#permalink] 14 Jan 2009, 10:03

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  15   16   17   18   19   20   21  ...  30    Next  [ 593 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

The great Laptop discussion forum

  new topic post reply Update application status  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne