Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 07:40 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 07:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Levelx   Strengthenx                     
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 90
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64912 [2]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Given Kudos: 147
Send PM
Tutor
Affiliations: The GMAT Co.
Own Kudos [?]: 326 [2]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: IIMA (A)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V41
Send PM
The heavy traffic in Masana is a growing drain on the city's economy [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Biswadeep20 wrote:
Hi experts,
Is the option B wrong because if we neagte the option, it states that the traffic will not increase to 6%. So not increasing doesn't mean it will decrease. The traffic can also remain constant or less than 6%( maybe 2% increase). So this option after negating doesn't collpase the conclusion.

Is my reasoning correct for this popular trap choice?

Posted from my mobile device

Hi there,

Your reasoning seems to be: 'Since the negation of the answer choice doesn't collapse the conclusion, the original answer choice does not support.' Did I get it correctly?
Also, I took the phrase ‘collapse the conclusion’ to mean that the argument no longer remains valid. Is that what you meant?

If so, let me ask you a question:

Is it that for an answer choice to support an argument, its negation needs to "collapse the conclusion"?

Let's try this example:

Argument: John drives an expensive car. Therefore, John is rich.
Statement: John is the CEO of a big investment bank.

What impact does the above statement have on the above argument? I think it supports it. Once I learn that John is the CEO of a big investment bank, I believe more than I did before in the notion that John is rich. Isn't it?

Now,

Negation of the statement: John is not CEO of a big investment bank.

Does this negated statement destroy the argument? Can't John be rich even if he's not a CEO of a big investment bank? He can, right?

If a statement supports a given argument, its negation needn't destroy the argument.

So, I do not agree with your reasoning for rejecting this answer choice.

Originally posted by AnishPassi on 17 Dec 2021, 08:05.
Last edited by AnishPassi on 21 Dec 2021, 02:20, edited 1 time in total.
Tutor
Affiliations: The GMAT Co.
Own Kudos [?]: 326 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: IIMA (A)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V41
Send PM
Re: The heavy traffic in Masana is a growing drain on the city's economy [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Will2020 wrote:
Why C is right? Even if congestion pricing helped to reduce traffic in other urban areas, NOT necessarily the strategy will work in Masana

I notice that in some CR questions some alternatives present some analogies, for example, if taxing companies reduced air pollution in the Boston area, the same will work in NY area- the one presented in the argument - such as the analogy in question (589). If taxing OTHER urban areas reduced traffic, so taxing the central district area will reduce traffic as well, and therefore the answer choice is correct. In the other hand, sometimes, the analogy is irrelevant, so the answer choice is wrong. So, how will I know that the answer choice using this kind of comparison will be right or wrong? The only thing I can think of is using process of elimination. Does that make sense?!

Many tks!

Can you please share question 589 that you refer to?

The point you raise is a very common concern. I did some research on a few CR questions to understand whether there truly is inconsistency across questions in terms of what strengthens and what doesn't.

Here's the article and video related to that research: https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-handl ... 70572.html

*Spoiler alert*: In the questions that I tried out, I did not find any inconsistency. The differences in these cases were related to what exactly the passage mentioned, the question asked for, and the answer choices stated.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 559 [0]
Given Kudos: 248
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33 (Online)
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V37
Send PM
Re: The heavy traffic in Masana is a growing drain on the city's economy [#permalink]
While I understand why (C) is the answer, please could I know why my thought process for (A) is incorrect.

The price is charged to those who ENTER the city. Hence (A) asserts that there is a good number of cars who enter the city. What if all the cars are already inside the city? In that case, the plan will not work because we aren't charging any fee to the vehicles
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63666 [1]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hoozan wrote:
While I understand why (C) is the answer, please could I know why my thought process for (A) is incorrect.

The price is charged to those who ENTER the city. Hence (A) asserts that there is a good number of cars who enter the city. What if all the cars are already inside the city? In that case, the plan will not work because we aren't charging any fee to the vehicles

The question asks which answer choice "most strongly indicate[s] that the plan will be a success." In other words, which option is best out of the ones available?

While (A) does indicate that some cars are entering the CBD, it really doesn't give us much info on whether the plan will work. Will the cars continue to drive through the CBD (and thus still contribute to congestion), or will they go another way? (A) doesn't give us enough info to say.

(C), on the other hand, provides a strong indication that the plan will work.

Because (C) gives us the clearest sign that the plan is a good one, (C) is the correct answer.

I hope that helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 75 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37 (Online)
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V39 (Online)
GMAT 3: 740 Q50 V40
Send PM
The heavy traffic in Masana is a growing drain on the city's economy—the clogging of the streets of the central business district alone cost the economy more than $1.2 billion over the past year. In order to address this problem, officials plan to introduce congestion pricing, by which drivers would pay to enter the city's most heavily trafficked areas during the busiest times of the day.

Which of the following, if true, would most strongly indicate that the plan will be a success?

Solution:
It helps to make a simple version of the argument inside your head. Something like this:
Traffic congestion problem-pricing as a fix- need strengthener

(A) Approximately one-fifth of the vehicles in the central business district are in transit from one side of the city to the other .: We need to keep the gist of the argument in mind. We need to strengthen the success of the plan i.e congestion pricing to reduce traffic. But this option doesn't give us that relation. We can't understand how will this help. It just tells us 20% of the vehicles move from one side to the other. Will they stop moving if priced? We don't know.

(B) Planners expect that, without congestion pricing, traffic in Masana is likely to grow by 6 percent in the next five years .: Okay, without pricing traffic grows by 6% in the next 5 years. But what happens with pricing. Does the traffic reduce? Does it increase by only 1%? or Does it increase by 6% but in the next 10 years? or maybe it doesn't change at all. But we need to ascertain whether pricing helps the situation now or not.

(C) In other urban areas, congestion pricing has strongly encouraged carpooling (sharing of rides by private commuters).: If a person loses weight following some diet, do you lose too if you followed? Maybe not but you surely can. There is that possibility that what works for someone else might work for you too. Its no certainty by any means, it's only a possibility. Keep It.

(D) Several studies have shown that a reduction in traffic of 15 percent in Masana could result in 5,500 or more new jobs.: Irrelevant. It talks about a situation after the reduction in traffic but we need to ascertain a reduction in traffic now with our plan.

(E) Over 30 percent of the vehicles in the city's center are occupied by more than one person: Irrelevant. Even if 100% are occupied by more than one person. Will they not go to the City center if priced? We don't know.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 559 [0]
Given Kudos: 248
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33 (Online)
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V37
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
Hoozan wrote:

The question asks which answer choice "most strongly indicate[s] that the plan will be a success." In other words, which option is best out of the ones available?

While (A) does indicate that some cars are entering the CBD, it really doesn't give us much info on whether the plan will work. Will the cars continue to drive through the CBD (and thus still contribute to congestion), or will they go another way? (A) doesn't give us enough info to say.

(C), on the other hand, provides a strong indication that the plan will work.

Because (C) gives us the clearest sign that the plan is a good one, (C) is the correct answer.

I hope that helps!

So this is one of those questions where you have a slight strengthener and one which is way better than the other and hence you stick to the latter. Cool, thanks a lot :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 146
Send PM
GMATNinja KarishmaB , why isn't C out of scope ? I can easily see a similar argument (say in a different question) where we would reject this option because we are concerned with what happens in Masana, not in other places.

Please advise. Thank you!
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64912 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
HWPO wrote:
GMATNinja KarishmaB , why isn't C out of scope ? I can easily see a similar argument (say in a different question) where we would reject this option because we are concerned with what happens in Masana, not in other places.

A plan that has worked in another 'comparable' place is likely to work here too. The author clarifies whether they see the locations as 'comparable'.
"in other urban areas" implies that in other places similar to Masana (all urban), the plan has worked. Hence, it increases the possibility that the plan will work here too.

When the places are not comparable, the option would be out of scope. For example, if it told us how the plan fared in some rural area, the option would be irrelevant.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
The heavy traffic in Masana is a growing drain on the city's economy [#permalink]
Despite all the arguments I still think B provides a better reason to implement congestion pricing than C does. It is bcuz if congestion pricing can stop 6% rise in traffic over 5 yrs then is it a good enough reason to implement the policy.

C also strengthens but isn't B a stronger strengthener.

Someone pls help if I'm wrong 🙏🙏

Tutor
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
ShubhThakur wrote:
Despite all the arguments I still think B provides a better reason to implement congestion pricing than C does. It is bcuz if congestion pricing can stop 6% rise in traffic over 5 yrs then is it a good enough reason to implement the policy.

C also strengthens but isn't B a stronger strengthener.

Someone pls help if I'm wrong 🙏🙏

(B) is not a strengthener at all. Remember, stick to the point at hand.

Current problem - congestion
Plan - congestion pricing

We need to find what will improve the likelihood of our plan succeeding.

The point of how our current problem will worsen without the plan is irrelevant. We need to worry about what will happen WITH the plan. Saying that "without the plan, things will become worse" is not the same as saying "with the plan, current problem will get better". The latter is what we need to focus on.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 146
Send PM
KarishmaB wrote:
HWPO wrote:

A plan that has worked in another 'comparable' place is likely to work here too. The author clarifies whether they see the locations as 'comparable'.
"in other urban areas" implies that in other places similar to Masana (all urban), the plan has worked. Hence, it increases the possibility that the plan will work here too.

When the places are not comparable, the option would be out of scope. For example, if it told us how the plan fared in some rural area, the option would be irrelevant.

Thank you, KarishmaB ,

"(C) In other urban areas, congestion pricing has strongly encouraged carpooling (sharing of rides by private commuters)."

The thing I'm still having a hard time with is the comparison part. I totally agree with you and understand your reasoning, but statement C never said or implied anything about a comparable place. As far as we know, it just says that in other urban areas. I sincerely ask: who cares what happens in other urban areas? This is what we learn when we reject an option. Wouldn't you agree with me that we could, at the same time, see an explanation as to why C is not the right answer because "we are not concerned with what happens in other areas, only with what happens is Masana" (""""GAMT official explanation"""").

Please tell me I am not wrong with my counterargument here. :(
Tutor
Send PM
Kudos