Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 08:37 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 08:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [0]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
WE:Business Development (Other)
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63666 [0]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 88
Send PM
Re: The hognose snake puts on an impressive bluff, hissing and rearing bac [#permalink]
GMATNinja wrote:
This is a classic case of parallelism, but with some twists. The confusion here usually comes from being unclear about which "verbs" should be verbs, and which should be "-ing" modifiers. (For more on "-ing" words and an explanation of why they're rarely verbs, check out our Topic of the Week: https://gmatclub.com/forum/experts-topi ... the%20week)

Let's start with the first underlined word: we have a choice between "broadens" and "broadening." "Broadens" is a verb, and it's parallel with "puts on an impressive bluff" in (A) and (B). "Broadening", on the other hand, is a modifier, giving us extra information about what happens when the snake puts on its bluff -- and that makes much, much more sense. So we can get rid of (A) and (B).

(C) strikes me as being unbelievably long and wordy, but so are all five answer choices. :) More usefully, the parallelism looks OK: "broadening and feigning" are parallel modifiers, both of which continue to describe the snake's "impressive bluff". The pronoun "it" is fine, too: because it's the subject of a new, dependent clause ("but it has no fangs..."), the subject unambiguously refers back to the subject of the first clause ("the hognose snake"). (If you want to read more about this type of pronoun issue, check out my post in this thread: https://gmatclub.com/forum/china-s-vast ... l#p1838737. We'll also address this in an upcoming Topic of the Week.)

(D) is easier to eliminate: the modifier "broadening" and the verb "feigns" are clearly not parallel.

(E) replaces the "and" before "feigning" with a comma, and that doesn't seem ideal: the sentence is clearer if the two modifiers are in a parallel structure, but I'm not sure that it's a huge problem. The bigger issue is that we don't have a new clause at the end of the underlined portion, because the "it" has been replaced by "with." That causes a problem down the line: at the end of the sentence, we don't have a subject for the verb phrase "will fall over and play dead." So (E) is gone, too.

We're left with (C). In real life, I think it's a wordy, crappy sentence. But that doesn't matter! It's free from egregious errors, so it's the correct answer in GMAT-land.

Sir,

In option C, doesnt 'IT' can refer to snake or cobra( pronoun error issue ). or is it a rule that Subject(pronoun) of second independent clause refer back to Subject of first independent clause .
GMAT Club Verbal Expert

Send PM
Re: The hognose snake puts on an impressive bluff, hissing and rearing bac [#permalink]
Expert Reply
anshulvnd5 wrote:
Sir,

In option C, doesnt 'IT' can refer to snake or cobra( pronoun error issue ). or is it a rule that Subject(pronoun) of second independent clause refer back to Subject of first independent clause .

As described in this post, the pronoun subject of the second clause doesn't always refer to the subject of the first clause. But if the subject of the second clause is a pronoun, it CAN refer back to the subject of the first clause -- even if there are a ton of other potential referents in the sentence.

Unfortunately, there are no ironclad rules governing this situation, so you always want to 1) look for other decision points and 2) compare the remaining options to see whether any make the meaning more/less clear. Remember that there are no black and white rules when it comes to pronoun ambiguity, either.

For anybody who didn't already suffer through it, the full webinar on pronouns is available here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhN_KU1bSKU.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 106
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38 (Online)
GPA: 4
Send PM
eyunni wrote:
The hognose snake puts on an impressive bluff, hissing and rearing back, broadens the flesh behind its head the way a cobra does, feigning repeated strikes, but, having no dangerous fangs and no venom, eventually, if its pursuer is not cowed by the performance, will fall over and play dead.

(A) broadens the flesh behind its head the way a cobra does, feigning repeated strikes, but, having no dangerous fangs and no venom,

(B) broadens the flesh behind its head the way a cobra does and feigns repeated strikes, but with no dangerous fangs and no venom,

(C) broadening the flesh behind its head the way a cobra does and feigning repeated strikes, but it has no dangerous fangs and no venom, and

(D) broadening the flesh behind its head the way a cobra does and feigns repeated strikes, but with no dangerous fangs and no venom, and

(E) broadening the flesh behind its head the way a cobra does, feigning repeated strikes, but with no dangerous fangs and no venom, and

Verbal Question of The Day: Day 8: Sentence Correction

Subscribe to GMAT Question of the Day: E-mail | RSS
For All QOTD Questions Click Here

GMATNinja I arrived at C because of the errors in other options but can you explain which structure is parallel to "will fall over and play dead" in second clause in C.

Thank you.

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63666 [2]

Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
NithishKumar wrote:
GMATNinja I arrived at C because of the errors in other options but can you explain which structure is parallel to "will fall over and play dead" in second clause in C.

Thank you.

Posted from my mobile device

Let's look at the second half of (C) and start stripping out some modifiers:

"..., but it has no dangerous fangs and no venom, and, eventually, if its pursuer is not cowed by the performance, will fall over and play dead."

That leaves us with:

"..., but it has no dangerous fangs and no venom, and will fall over and play dead." Notice that the comma after "venom" is not strictly necessary -- it's simply there for clarity (the GMAT is fairly lenient with this sort of thing, as discussed in this post).

Now let's zero in on the parallelism (I'll leave out the aforementioned comma in this stripped down version):

"... it (1) has no dangerous fangs and no venom and (2) will fall over and play dead."

This is basically a parallel list of verbs. The only catch is that we have a "nested" parallel list within both (1) and (2):

(1) "has (a) no dangerous fangs and (b) no venom"
    (2) "will (a) fall over and (b) play dead"

With all of the modifiers and different layers of parallelism, the structure of this sentence is complex. However, when you boil it down, you're left with a parallel list of verbs that can be tied back to the subject "it" (which refers to "the hognose snake").

I hope that helps!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 530
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
This is a classic case of parallelism, but with some twists. The confusion here usually comes from being unclear about which "verbs" should be verbs, and which should be "-ing" modifiers. (For more on "-ing" words and an explanation of why they're rarely verbs, check out our Topic of the Week: https://gmatclub.com/forum/experts-topi ... the%20week)

Let's start with the first underlined word: we have a choice between "broadens" and "broadening." "Broadens" is a verb, and it's parallel with "puts on an impressive bluff" in (A) and (B). "Broadening", on the other hand, is a modifier, giving us extra information about what happens when the snake puts on its bluff -- and that makes much, much more sense. So we can get rid of (A) and (B).

(C) strikes me as being unbelievably long and wordy, but so are all five answer choices. :) More usefully, the parallelism looks OK: "broadening and feigning" are parallel modifiers, both of which continue to describe the snake's "impressive bluff". The pronoun "it" is fine, too: because it's the subject of a new, dependent clause ("but it has no fangs..."), the subject unambiguously refers back to the subject of the first clause ("the hognose snake"). (If you want to read more about this type of pronoun issue, check out my post in this thread: https://gmatclub.com/forum/china-s-vast ... l#p1838737. We'll also address this in an upcoming Topic of the Week.)

(D) is easier to eliminate: the modifier "broadening" and the verb "feigns" are clearly not parallel.

(E) replaces the "and" before "feigning" with a comma, and that doesn't seem ideal: the sentence is clearer if the two modifiers are in a parallel structure, but I'm not sure that it's a huge problem. The bigger issue is that we don't have a new clause at the end of the underlined portion, because the "it" has been replaced by "with." That causes a problem down the line: at the end of the sentence, we don't have a subject for the verb phrase "will fall over and play dead." So (E) is gone, too.

We're left with (C). In real life, I think it's a wordy, crappy sentence. But that doesn't matter! It's free from egregious errors, so it's the correct answer in GMAT-land.

Is double modifier correct to use ?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 3136 [3]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:Dartmouth College
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
lakshya14 wrote:
Is double modifier correct to use ?

While back-to-back modifiers joined only by a comma are rare, other OAs from GMAC have employed this structure.
Generally, the two modifiers joined by a comma will be PARALLEL IN FORM and will serve the SAME GRAMMATICAL PURPOSE.

OA: The hognose snake puts on an impressive bluff, hissing and rearing back, broadening the flesh behind its head the way a cobra does and feigning repeated strikes.
Here, the two modifiers in blue are parallel in form.
First modifier: HISSING and REARING
Second modifier: BROADENING and FEIGNING
The parallelism makes it clear that the two modifiers serve the SAME GRAMMATICAL PURPOSE: each refers to the preceding clause in green, expressing HOW the snake puts on a bluff.

Another official example:
There would be a large number of producing firms, all unfettered by governmental regulations, each seeking to meet consumer needs and wants more successfully than one another.
Again, the two modifiers in blue are parallel in form.
First modifier: all + VERBed + other words
Second modifier: each + VERBing + other words
The parallelism makes it clear that the two modifiers serve the SAME GRAMMATICAL PURPOSE: each describes the preceding noun in green.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 104
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:

Hi GMATNinja

Thank you for your amazing explanation. I wanted to clarify - I understand that the usage of 'but' requires Parallelism on the left side and right side of 'but'. So in this sentence, we have a clause on the left side " The hognose snake ....." but on the right side of 'but' only C has a clause i.e. "it has no ...". Is "clause" but "clause" Parallelism also the correct way to select C ?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert

Send PM
Expert Reply
Vivek1707 wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:

Hi GMATNinja

Thank you for your amazing explanation. I wanted to clarify - I understand that the usage of 'but' requires Parallelism on the left side and right side of 'but'. So in this sentence, we have a clause on the left side " The hognose snake ....." but on the right side of 'but' only C has a clause i.e. "it has no ...". Is "clause" but "clause" Parallelism also the correct way to select C ?

You're right that all the incorrect answers have faulty parallelism here, but it's not necessarily true that if a clause precedes the parallel marker, one must come after it too.

Take a simple example: Tim trips and falls. We get a clause before "and," but this sentence is fine, because the two actions ("trips" and "falls") are parallel. The way to evaluate this is to see what comes after the conjunction, and then go back to see if the parallel form shows up earlier. In this case, a verb ("falls") comes after "and", so that's what we're looking for when our eyes drift to the left.

However, If we'd seen a full clause after the conjunction, we'd have looked for a full clause before the conjunction too.

For more on parallelism, check out this crusty old YouTube video.

I hope that clears things up!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 95 [0]
Given Kudos: 118
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V31
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
My main problem in this question was vocabulary. I believe many non-native speakers may also have an issue with that.

The words I didn't know what they mean were:

bluff, hissing, rearing back, flesh, feigning and fangs
Hognose (this one may not be as important as the previous)

With this disadvantage, I couldn't define which words requiered to be verbs or -ing modifiers.

I think the only advice about this issue would be to expand my vocabulary. Any coments?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 760 Q49 V44
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:

(E) replaces the "and" before "feigning" with a comma, and that doesn't seem ideal: the sentence is clearer if the two modifiers are in a parallel structure, but I'm not sure that it's a huge problem. The bigger issue is that we don't have a new clause at the end of the underlined portion, because the "it" has been replaced by "with." That causes a problem down the line: at the end of the sentence, we don't have a subject for the verb phrase "will fall over and play dead." So (E) is gone, too. )

Do options A and B repeat the error in E ? (not having a subject for the clause after but )

GMATNinja
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63666 [2]

Send PM
Kudos