It is currently 18 Nov 2017, 16:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

China’s vast network of dams has long stood as the country’s primary s

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

2 KUDOS received
Senior SC Moderator
D

Kudos [?]: 1290 [2], given: 432

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
China’s vast network of dams has long stood as the country’s primary s [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2017, 20:54
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

43% (00:55) correct 57% (01:22) wrong based on 522 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

China’s vast network of dams has long stood as the country’s primary source of renewable energy, but its interest in building more large hydroelectric generating stations has waned in favor of burgeoning solar and wind industries.

A. has long stood as the country’s primary source of renewable energy, but its interest in building more large hydroelectric generating stations has

B. have long stood as the country’s primary source of renewable energy, but their interest in building more large hydroelectric generating stations have

C. has long stood as the country’s primary source of renewable energy, but interest in building more large hydroelectric generating stations has

D. long stood as the country’s primary source of renewable energy, but its interest in building more large hydroelectric generating stations

E. have long stood as the country’s primary source of renewable energy, but interest in building more large hydroelectric generating stations has

[Reveal] Spoiler:

OFFICIAL EXPLANATION

Two decision points should stand out to you here: the singular/plural decision between "has" and "have" at the beginning of the sentence, and the pronoun decision (its vs. their vs. omit) after the word "but." One helpful piece of advice: when you're given a choice to omit a pronoun on the GMAT, the omitted version often cleans up a pronoun reference error. As such, this should be a primary decision point for you. Here, the subject of the sentence is "network" (China's network of dams), and so "its" as a pronoun would refer back to the network. Since the network isn't what would have interest in building more (that should be "China"), the inclusion of a pronoun is illogical. Therefore you should debate between C and E, each of which omits the pronoun.

From there, look at the "have" vs. "has" decision. Again, the subject is "network" - which is singular - so "has" is the proper verb, and the correct answer is C.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

"Be challenged at EVERY MOMENT."

“Strength doesn’t come from what you can do. It comes from overcoming the things you once thought you couldn’t.”

"Each stage of the journey is crucial to attaining new heights of knowledge."

Rules for posting in verbal forum | Please DO NOT post short answer in your post!

Kudos [?]: 1290 [2], given: 432

Manager
Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 65

Concentration: Finance
Re: China’s vast network of dams has long stood as the country’s primary s [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2017, 07:43
This post was
BOOKMARKED
China’s vast network of dams has long stood as the country’s primary source of renewable energy, but its interest in building more large hydroelectric generating stations has waned in favor of burgeoning solar and wind industries.

A. has long stood as the country’s primary source of renewable energy, but its interest in building more large hydroelectric generating stations has (Its has no clear referent)

B. have long stood as the country’s primary source of renewable energy, but their interest in building more large hydroelectric generating stations have (usage of their is ambiguous)

C. has long stood as the country’s primary source of renewable energy, but interest in building more large hydroelectric generating stations has (Correct)

D. long stood as the country’s primary source of renewable energy, but its interest in building more large hydroelectric generating stations (Same as A)

Kudos please if you like my explanation!

E. have long stood as the country’s primary source of renewable energy, but interest in building more large hydroelectric generating stations has (Singular verb is required)

Kindly hit kudos if my post helps!

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 65

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: China’s vast network of dams has long stood as the country’s primary s [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2017, 11:13
Can someone explain why no article is needed for "interest" in C?

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 10

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2017, 11:33
beyondgame30
In this case, a pronoun before interest would make the sentence ambiguous or vague.
When there is an empty pronoun, it is always wrong in the GMAT. I hope this helps.

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 10

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 6

Schools: Kellogg '20, Duke '20
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.49
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2017, 12:36
C, network is singular so "has" is correct split / "its" is a bit unclear

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 6

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2017, 16:15
Is it because interest is an unaccountable noun in C, so it doesn't need an article of "an". I am struggled to know when a noun needs an article or pronoun, such as a, the, and its, and when one doesn't. Could you please explain a little more? Thank you!

matthewsmith_89 wrote:
In this case, a pronoun before interest would make the sentence ambiguous or vague.
When there is an empty pronoun, it is always wrong in the GMAT. I hope this helps.

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [1], given: 42

Concentration: General Management, Statistics
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 3
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2017, 11:53
This post received
KUDOS
beyondgame30 wrote:
Can someone explain why no article is needed for "interest" in C?

Because we can say this in the simple way .
"China's food is very good, but weather is bad."

similarly in above question,we do not need any article/noun after but.

Kudos [?]: 1 [1], given: 42

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 102

Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V26
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2017, 21:46
Can Anyone tell what is wrong with "it" in sentence A.What else it is referring other than China?

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 102

Director
Director
P

Kudos [?]: 104 [0], given: 46

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2017, 22:29
[quote="ziyuen"]China’s vast network of dams has long stood as the country’s primary source of renewable energy, but its interest in building more large hydroelectric generating stations has waned in favor of burgeoning solar and wind industries.

A. has long stood as the country’s primary source of renewable energy, but its interest in building more large hydroelectric generating stations has

B. have long stood as the country’s primary source of renewable energy, but their interest in building more large hydroelectric generating stations have

C. has long stood as the country’s primary source of renewable energy, but interest in building more large hydroelectric generating stations has

D. long stood as the country’s primary source of renewable energy, but its interest in building more large hydroelectric generating stations

E. have long stood as the country’s primary source of renewable energy, but interest in building more large hydroelectric generating stations has

.it seems as "China’s vast network of dams" is the subject for the 2nd part of sentence..... that is illogical...
In A its can point to china ..why A is incorrect ..Experts please help...

Kudos [?]: 104 [0], given: 46

Expert Post
Top Contributor
5 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
G

Kudos [?]: 1865 [5], given: 446

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2017, 09:09
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Top Contributor
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Actually... I'm pretty sure that (A) would be acceptable on the GMAT. And there's nothing wrong with (C), either.

Before I continue, my usual disclaimer: it is unbelievably difficult to write great, GMAT-style verbal questions. The GMAT spends somewhere between $1500 and $3000 developing each question, and I'm totally cool with the fact that test-prep companies (mine included!) will never be able to compete with that.

Disclaimer #2: I'm about to describe a pretty arcane little exception to the GMAT's pronoun "rules", so if you're still struggling with the fundamentals, this one might not be for you.

Many of you have a perfectly reasonable instinct to conclude that the "its" is ambiguous, because it could, at least in theory, refer to any number of singular nouns here: energy, source, network, or China's. That seems ambiguous, right?

But consider this case:

• Cucumbers cost more than tomatoes in grocery stores in western states, and they also taste like chalk.

"They" could refer to any number of things (cucumbers, tomatoes, stores, or states), right? So it's ambiguous, right?

Not so fast. On the GMAT, if a sentence has more than one clause (dependent or independent), then the grammatical subject of the second clause can unambiguously refer to the grammatical subject of the first clause. Here's that same sentence again, with the subjects highlighted:

• Cucumbers cost more than tomatoes in grocery stores in western states, and they also taste like chalk.

So the "they" would NOT be considered ambiguous in this case on the GMAT. Here's another example of the same concept on an official question: https://gmatclub.com/forum/in-some-spec ... 36080.html

And here's the original question again, with the grammatical subjects highlighted:

Quote:

To be fair, there's some grey area in this case, since "China's" and "its" are both possessive. But since both "China's" and "its" are part of the subjects of their respective clauses, I wouldn't automatically assume that the pronoun is wrong.

Bottom line: just be a little bit careful with the "subject to subject" pronoun exception when you're doing official questions.

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor at www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Friendly warning: I'm bad at PMs

GMAT Ninja Wednesdays LIVE on YouTube
Join us, and ask your questions in advance!

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99... in any section order

YouTube verbal webinars:
"Next-level" GMAT pronouns | Uses of "that" on the GMAT | Parallelism and meaning | Simplifying GMAT verb tenses | Comparisons, part I |
November webinar schedule

Kudos [?]: 1865 [5], given: 446

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 205

GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.99

Show Tags

New post 14 Apr 2017, 01:58
Can country's be antecedent of its in A?

China’s vast network of dams has long stood as the country’s primary source of renewable energy, but country’s interest in building more large hydroelectric generating stations has waned in favor of burgeoning solar and wind industries.

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 205

Board of Directors
D

Kudos [?]: 908 [0], given: 67

GPA: 3.65
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
China’s vast network of dams has long stood as the country’s primary s [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Apr 2017, 03:07
Hello GMATNinja,

I also marked A as the answer, considering 'its' is referring back to "China's" but looks like there is a lot of confusion here. Your comments prove that my point is valid.

Can you please suggest what should I mark for this question?

I am not clear on the last lines you mentioned for this question in your post.

"To be fair, there's some grey area in this case, since "China's" and "its" are both possessive. But since both "China's" and "its" are part of the subjects of their respective clauses, I wouldn't automatically assume that the pronoun is wrong. "

How I improved from V21 to V40! ?

Kudos [?]: 908 [0], given: 67

Expert Post
Top Contributor
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
G

Kudos [?]: 1865 [1], given: 446

Show Tags

New post 15 Apr 2017, 15:36
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Top Contributor
Quote:
I also marked A as the answer, considering 'its' is referring back to "China's" but looks like there is a lot of confusion here. Your comments prove that my point is valid.

Yeah, the original question is a little bit flawed, so don't worry too much about it. As long as you marked (A) or (C) here, you're fine, and I wouldn't recommend spending much more time on this specific example.

I think the most important takeaway from my post is that the GMAT makes a very clear exception to pronoun ambiguity "rules", as described in the cucumber example. That's an issue that you'll see in a decent number of official GMAT questions.

Quote:

"To be fair, there's some grey area in this case, since "China's" and "its" are both possessive. But since both "China's" and "its" are part of the subjects of their respective clauses, I wouldn't automatically assume that the pronoun is wrong. "

In my last few lines of the post, I simply meant that the question in this thread isn't exactly the same as the cucumber example, because "China's" (subject of the first clause) and "its" (beginning of the subject of the second clause) are both possessive -- and I've never seen an official GMAT question that looks quite like this. As long as you understand the cucumber example, that's the important part. :)

Sorry for the confusion!

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor at www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Friendly warning: I'm bad at PMs

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99... in any section order

YouTube verbal webinars:
"Next-level" GMAT pronouns | Uses of "that" on the GMAT | Parallelism and meaning | Simplifying GMAT verb tenses | Comparisons, part I |

Kudos [?]: 1865 [1], given: 446

VP
VP
P

Kudos [?]: 296 [0], given: 165

Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2017, 01:28
GMATNinja wrote:
In my last few lines of the post, I simply meant that the question in this thread isn't exactly the same as the cucumber example, because "China's" (subject of the first clause) and "its" (beginning of the subject of the second clause) are both possessive -- and I've never seen an official GMAT question that looks quite like this. As long as you understand the cucumber example, that's the important part. :)

Sorry for the confusion!

Hi Charles,

Do you consider the following is correct and ha no ambiguity? Is this GMAT style? have you encountered any OG question like this?

Napoleon's plan was great but his tactics were obsolete.

thanks

Chat Moderator
G

Kudos [?]: 92 [0], given: 140

Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2017, 05:24
GMATNinja wrote:
Quote:

Yeah, the original question is a little bit flawed, so don't worry too much about it. As long as you marked (A) or (C) here, you're fine, and I wouldn't recommend spending much more time on this specific example.

I think the most important takeaway from my post is that the GMAT makes a very clear exception to pronoun ambiguity "rules", as described in the cucumber example. That's an issue that you'll see in a decent number of official GMAT questions.

Quote:

Sorry for the confusion!

Thank you for the explanation. Apart from the fact that the "its" and "China's" are in subject position, (from one of the previous explanation by Verbal expert - don't remember the question) the possessive pronoun can refer back to the noun in possessive form. Is that valid?

Kudos [?]: 92 [0], given: 140

VP
VP
P

Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2017, 06:04
warriorguy wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Sorry for the confusion!

Thank you for the explanation. Apart from the fact that the "its" and "China's" are in subject position, (from one of the previous explanation by Verbal expert - don't remember the question) the possessive pronoun can refer back to the noun in possessive form. Is that valid?

I think you mean the post in the following example:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/http-magoosh ... 14976.html

Expert Post
Top Contributor
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
G

Kudos [?]: 1865 [0], given: 446

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2017, 11:38
Expert's post
Top Contributor
Quote:
Do you consider the following is correct and ha no ambiguity? Is this GMAT style? have you encountered any OG question like this?

Napoleon's plan was great but his tactics were obsolete.

Yup, this would be completely acceptable on the GMAT. "Napoleon's" is the only plausible referent for "his", so you're all good. And sure, you see possessive pronouns (usually "its" and "their") on the GMAT quite a bit, so it's definitely possible that you'll see this sort of thing.

Quote:

And yes, a possessive pronoun can refer back to the noun in possessive form.

Need an expert reply?

YouTube verbal webinars:

Kudos [?]: 1865 [0], given: 446

Manager
Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 141 [0], given: 72

Concentration: Marketing, Operations
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 27 Apr 2017, 02:54
Two decision points should stand out to you here: the singular/plural decision between "has" and "have" at the beginning of the sentence, and the pronoun decision (its vs. their vs. omit) after the word "but." One helpful piece of advice: when you're given a choice to omit a pronoun on the GMAT, the omitted version often cleans up a pronoun reference error. As such, this should be a primary decision point for you. Here, the subject of the sentence is "network" (China's network of dams), and so "its" as a pronoun would refer back to the network. Since the network isn't what would have interest in building more (that should be "China"), the inclusion of a pronoun is illogical. Therefore you should debate between C and E, each of which omits the pronoun.

From there, look at the "have" vs. "has" decision. Again, the subject is "network" - which is singular - so "has" is the proper verb, and the correct answer is C.

Kudos [?]: 141 [0], given: 72

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 124 [0], given: 99

Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2017, 07:14
hazelnut wrote:

I see nothing wrong with A.
'its' is a possessive pronoun and is clearly referring back to China's.

The only difference between A and C is the missing 'its'.

Put in the work, and that dream score is yours!

Kudos [?]: 124 [0], given: 99

Re: China’s vast network of dams has long stood as the country’s primary s   [#permalink] 01 Aug 2017, 07:14

China’s vast network of dams has long stood as the country’s primary s

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap