Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 11:52 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 11:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32881 [31]
Given Kudos: 5776
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 301 [4]
Given Kudos: 413
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32881 [0]
Send PM
Re: The issue of women, art, and feminism has been most urgently raised by [#permalink]
Expert Reply
praval wrote:
wow! went over head
can anyone help me?

Welcome to GMAT Club!

Let me know your thoughts; I might help out.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Re: The issue of women, art, and feminism has been most urgently raised by [#permalink]
Sajjad1994 wrote:
praval wrote:
wow! went over head
can anyone help me?

Welcome to GMAT Club!

I could understand the structure of the passage despite numerous efforts. also the language was difficult
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32868 [0]
Given Kudos: 4453
Send PM
Top Contributor
praval wrote:
Sajjad1994 wrote:
praval wrote:
wow! went over head
can anyone help me?

Welcome to GMAT Club!

I could understand the structure of the passage despite numerous efforts. also the language was difficult

Read this to be prepared for such passage and what that means

GRE Reading Comprehension Project - Strategies

https://greprepclub.com/forum/gre-readi ... 20658.html
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
GMAT 1: 530 Q44 V19
Send PM
Sajjad1994 wrote:
praval wrote:
wow! went over head
can anyone help me?

Welcome to GMAT Club!

Hello, Sajjad1994
I have a question according to Q2.
I choose B, because paragraph 2 and 3 seems like a summerise of premises that is the base of "The theory of a female sensibility".
If I misunderstood anypart please help correct me.

Please explain the reason behind Choice D.
Did I missed keywords or expression that point out criticism and suggestion?

Very appriciate your help :)
GRE Forum Moderator
Send PM
Expert Reply
This is a global question and we cannot go back to the passage for the reference text instead we have to read and understand the passage as a whole. Always keep a sharp eye on the transition words. For this particular question read the first paragraph in conjunction with the first few lines of paragraph 3. We need to connect the dots for such global questions.

Puritaw wrote:
Sajjad1994 wrote:
praval wrote:
wow! went over head
can anyone help me?

Welcome to GMAT Club!

Hello, Sajjad1994
I have a question according to Q2.
I choose B, because paragraph 2 and 3 seems like a summerise of premises that is the base of "The theory of a female sensibility".
If I misunderstood anypart please help correct me.

Please explain the reason behind Choice D.
Did I missed keywords or expression that point out criticism and suggestion?

Very appriciate your help :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [1]
Given Kudos: 37
Send PM
Kudos
(3/3, 5 min)
1. Which of the following the best describes the content of the passage?

A) The Impact of the Women’s Art Movement on Aesthetic Theory. => There's no "impact" mentioned in the paragraph
B) The Female Aesthetic: Its impact on Artistic Conventions. => again, no mention of any impact
C) An Examination of the Principles and Assumptions of the Theory of a Female Aesthetic. => Correct. The paragraph talks about different approaches/theories on the Feminist Art
D) Feminism, Women’s Liberation, and Aesthetic Theory: Social Change and Women’s Art. => there's no mention on the "social change"
E) The Uniqueness of Women’s Art in the Male Art World. => just no

2. The primary purpose of the passage is to

A) Initiate a debate. => easy elimination
B) Summarize related points of view. => Trap answer. Note that the 1st paragraph is actually describing 02 different views that will be explored further in Para 2 & 3. In Para 2 & 3, the author is not "summarizing" what each theory is about, but giving their own "remark" about each theory.
C) Define terms and illustrate their applications. => there's no "applications" of the "terms" so this is out
D) Criticize an approach and suggest an alternative one =>
Approach 1: "The theory of a female sensibility seems to be based on two equally extreme premises, implicit and not explicit."
Approach 2: "Another approach, both balanced and sensible, would argue for a more transcendental view of social experience and of art."
=> The author criticizes Approach 1 and agrees with Approach 2 => correct
E) Criticize competing theories. => the author did not criticize both theories, so this is wrong

3. It can be inferred from the passage that the author would most probably agree with which of the following statements about relationships between men and women?

A) Women can develop their own talents most successfully by working completely independent of men.
B) Women and men share no common ground of personal experience.
C) The contemporary relationships between men and women should not affect the work of women artists.
D) Relationships between men and women are not static and can be influenced by new ideas about women’s identities. => Correct, as mentioned in Para 3.
E) A consequence of the nature of relationships between men and women is that women can develop their art only by seeing men as opponents.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
Send PM
Is this even a 600-700 level passage? More tough than 700+ level passages I have come across.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 63
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
Send PM
Sajjad1994
could you explain Qn.6,7,and 8
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
Tough one. In my first read it just went over my head. I hardly get couple of correct answers out of 9. When i read slowly the second time , i grasp broadly. Really tough one to be at 600-700 level.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 197 [0]
Given Kudos: 146
Send PM
Sajjad1994 , OE for all please. I am having severe headache in deciphering this passage.
GRE Forum Moderator
Send PM
Expert Reply
SohiniSengupta wrote:
Is this even a 600-700 level passage? More tough than 700+ level passages I have come across.

Kavya1998 wrote:
Tough one. In my first read it just went over my head. I hardly get couple of correct answers out of 9. When i read slowly the second time , i grasp broadly. Really tough one to be at 600-700 level.

Hello SohiniSengupta and Kavya1998

Following should be the difficulty level of each question respectively.

Question #1: 700
Question #2: 700
Question #3: 750
Question #4: 700
Question #5: 700
Question #6: 750
Question #7: 600-650
Question #8: 700
Question #9: 700

Overall: 700+

PS: Difficulty level tag is updated.
GRE Forum Moderator
Send PM
Expert Reply
Explanation

1. Which of the following titles best describes the content of the passage?

Difficulty Level: 700

Explanation

The best title that describes the content of the passage is (C) "An Examination of the Principles and Assumptions of the Theory of a Female Aesthetic."

The passage primarily discusses the different approaches and perspectives within the feminist art movement regarding the theory of a female aesthetic. It presents contrasting viewpoints and debates about the concept, exploring its potential benefits and limitations. The passage also touches on the criticism of the theory as being opportunist and reminiscent of current art trends.

Option (A) is not the best title because it doesn't fully capture the focus on the theory of a female aesthetic and its examination.

Option (B) is not the best title because while the passage mentions the impact of the female aesthetic, it primarily focuses on the discussion and evaluation of the theory itself rather than its impact on artistic conventions.

Option (D) is not the best title because although the passage touches upon feminism, women's liberation, and aesthetic theory, it doesn't extensively delve into the broader social change aspects. The main focus is on the examination of the principles and assumptions of the theory of a female aesthetic.

Option (E) is not the best title because while the passage mentions the male-defined art world and the need for women to define their own art, it primarily centers around the theory of a female aesthetic and its evaluation rather than focusing on the uniqueness of women's art in the male art world.

Answer: C
GRE Forum Moderator
Send PM
Expert Reply
Explanation

2. According to the author, proponents of the theory of a female sensibility would be most likely to agree with which of the following statements about the “imagery and formal style specific to women” mentioned in lines 8-9 (Highlighted)?

Explanation

According to the passage, proponents of the theory of a female sensibility would be most likely to agree with the statement (E) "They have evolved because the experiences of female artists are radically different from those of male artists."

The passage discusses the theory of a female aesthetic or sensibility, which suggests that there is an imagery and formal style specific to women in art. Proponents of this theory argue that this female aesthetic is an authentic artistic language that corresponds to the distinct social experience of women, independent of the traditionally "male-defined" art. It is seen as liberating and reflective of the unique experiences of women.

The statement (E) aligns with the viewpoint of proponents of the theory of a female sensibility. It acknowledges that the experiences of female artists are radically different from those of male artists, which has led to the evolution of a specific imagery and formal style associated with women. The theory posits that this female aesthetic arises due to the need to express and represent the experiences and perspectives of women, which are distinct from those of men.

Option (A) is not supported by the passage. While proponents of the theory of a female sensibility do express their viewpoint in opposition to certain aspects of the theory, the passage does not indicate that these expressions of dissent are specifically related to prevailing theories of aesthetics within the women's art movement.

Option (B) is not supported by the passage. The passage discusses the theory of a female aesthetic as a separate and independent artistic language, not as a means for women artists to assimilate into the traditional art world.

Option (C) is not mentioned in the passage. The passage presents differing views on the theory of a female aesthetic, but it does not make a comparative judgment on the superiority of color and shape between the female aesthetic and the male-dominated tradition in art.

Option (D) is not mentioned in the passage. The passage discusses the theory of a female aesthetic and presents contrasting viewpoints about its implications, but it does not specifically address the connection between the female aesthetic and feminism obscuring its centrality.

Answer: E
GRE Forum Moderator
Send PM
The issue of women, art, and feminism has been most urgently raised by [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Explanation

3. The primary purpose of the passage is to

Difficulty Level: 750

Explanation

The primary purpose of the passage is to (D) criticize an approach and suggest an alternative one.

The passage explores the issue of women, art, and feminism, focusing on the different approaches and viewpoints within the feminist art movement. It begins by presenting the theory of a female aesthetic or sensibility, which suggests the existence of an artistic language specific to women that corresponds to their distinct social experience. Proponents of this theory argue that it is liberating and independent of "male-defined" art.

However, the passage goes on to discuss the criticisms of this theory. Some argue that the theory of a female aesthetic restricts women by confining them to certain "feminine" shapes, colors, forms, and images. Others view the rise of a trendy "feminine sensibility" as opportunistic, pointing out its resemblance to current fashionable art conventions. These criticisms imply that the theory of a female aesthetic is not satisfactory in defining feminist art and may limit women's artistic expression.

In response to these criticisms, the passage presents an alternative approach, described as balanced and sensible. This approach advocates for a transcendental view of social experience and art, emphasizing the evolving nature of personhood and relationships between the sexes. The passage includes a quote from Pat Mainardi, who argues that women artists should be free to explore the entire range of art possibilities and define art based on their own actions and creations.

By critiquing the theory of a female sensibility and proposing an alternative viewpoint, the passage aims to challenge the assumptions and limitations associated with the theory and suggests a more inclusive and expansive approach to defining women's art.

Option (A) is not the primary purpose of the passage. While the passage presents different viewpoints and perspectives, it does not actively initiate a debate or encourage further discussion among readers.

Option (B) is partially true since the passage does present contrasting viewpoints and arguments. However, the primary purpose is not solely to summarize these points of view but rather to critique one approach and propose an alternative.

Option (C) is not the primary purpose of the passage. While the passage discusses the theory of a female aesthetic and its implications, it does not extensively define terms or provide detailed illustrations of their applications.

Option (E) is partially true, as the passage critiques the theory of a female aesthetic and raises concerns about its limitations. However, the primary purpose is not solely to criticize competing theories but rather to suggest an alternative approach and challenge the assumptions of the theory being critiqued.

Answer: D
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32881 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Explanation

4. The phrase 'rehabilitated artistic ghetto' in lines 18-19 (Highlighted) suggests that the author believes that one consequence of the female aesthetic might be to

Explanation

The passage discusses different perspectives on the theory of a female aesthetic. While proponents of the theory argue that it creates an authentic artistic language corresponding to the distinct social experience of women, others criticize it as potentially limiting and restrictive. The phrase "rehabilitated artistic ghetto" indicates a negative view of the female aesthetic, suggesting that it might confine women artists to a restricted and marginalized space within the art world.

The term "ghetto" typically refers to a segregated area where a particular group, in this case, women artists, are confined. By describing the female aesthetic as a "rehabilitated artistic ghetto," the author implies that although there might be some attempts to elevate and validate women's art within this aesthetic framework, it ultimately restricts their artistic choices and confines them to a separate and limited space.

Option (A) aligns with the interpretation of the phrase. It suggests that the female aesthetic, despite its claims of liberation and authenticity, ultimately denies women artists the opportunity to fully explore and engage with the entire range of artistic possibilities. This interpretation corresponds to the author's critical stance towards the theory of a female aesthetic and its potential limitations on women artists.

Option (B) is not directly supported by the phrase. The phrase does not mention male opinions or the influence of women artists on them.

Option (C) is also not directly supported by the phrase. While the passage discusses the challenging questions raised by feminist artists, the phrase does not specifically highlight these questions or their relationship to male definitions of art.

Option (D) is not supported by the phrase. Although the passage mentions that some critics predict further shifts in the aesthetic as art-world fashions change, the phrase itself does not suggest that the female aesthetic would produce such shifts.

Option (E) is not directly supported by the phrase. The phrase mentions the coincidence that the female aesthetic resembles current fashionable art conventions, suggesting a similarity rather than a weakening of influence.

Therefore, based on the passage and the interpretation of the phrase, the most accurate answer is (A) continue to deny women artists access to the whole realm of artistic choices.

Answer: A
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32881 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Explanation

5. It can be inferred from the passage that the author would most probably agree with which of the following statements about relationships between men and women?

Explanation

Based on the information provided in the passage, the author would most probably agree with the statement (D) "Relationships between men and women are not static and can be influenced by new ideas about women's identities."

The passage discusses different approaches to defining feminist art and explores the theory of a female aesthetic. While some argue for a female aesthetic that corresponds to the distinct social experience of women and operates independently of male-defined art, others criticize it as potentially limiting and reminiscent of current art-world fashions. The passage also introduces another approach that advocates for a more transcendental view of social experience and art, emphasizing that the meaning of one's personhood and the nature of relationships between the sexes are evolving phenomena that can be acted upon.

In the passage, Pat Mainardi outlines this interpretation, stating that women artists must be free to explore the entire range of art possibilities and define art based on what women artists do, rather than trying to fit within the confines of the male art world. This perspective suggests that the author agrees with the idea that relationships between men and women are not static and can be influenced by new ideas about women's identities.

Option (A) is not directly supported by the passage. While the passage mentions developing artistic strengths autonomously and in opposition to men, it does not explicitly state that women must work completely independently of men to develop their talents.

Option (B) is not supported by the passage. Although the passage mentions the theory of a female aesthetic and the distinct social experience of women, it does not imply that women and men have no common ground of personal experience.

Option (C) is not supported by the passage. The passage emphasizes the evolving nature of relationships between men and women and suggests that these relationships can influence new ideas about women's identities, rather than being unaffected by them.

Option (E) is not supported by the passage. While the passage mentions developing artistic strengths autonomously and in opposition to men, it does not suggest that women can only develop their art by seeing men as opponents.

Therefore, based on the passage, the most accurate inference is that the author would agree with statement (D) "Relationships between men and women are not static and can be influenced by new ideas about women's identities."

Answer: D
GRE Forum Moderator
Send PM
Expert Reply
Explanation

6. According to the passage, objections that have been raised by opponents of a theory of a female sensibility include which of the following?

Difficulty Level: 750

Explanation

Based on the passage, objection I states that the theory restricts women artists' full exploration of artistic ideas by limiting them to certain "feminine" shapes, colors, forms, and images. This objection suggests that the theory may hinder women artists' creative freedom and restrict their artistic expression.

Objection II, which I did not mention earlier, argues that the theory of a female sensibility is overly influenced by popular trends in art. Some opponents believe that the so-called female aesthetic is reminiscent of the conventions of fashionable art, suggesting that it may be a trendy and opportunistic concept rather than an authentic expression of women's experiences. These opponents predict further shifts in the aesthetic as art-world fashions change.

Therefore, the correct answer is indeed (C) I and II only

Answer: C
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6919 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13958 posts