It is currently 20 Apr 2018, 07:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The last years of Booker T. Washington, regarded to be the most

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests
The last years of Booker T. Washington, regarded to be the most [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2018, 01:31
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

83% (00:44) correct 17% (00:33) wrong based on 109 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The last years of Booker T. Washington, regarded to be the most influential Black leader of his time, were devoted to building a political power base that extended far beyond the confines of Tuskegee institute.

A. The last years of Booker T. Washington, regarded to be the most influential Black leader of his time, were devoted
B. Regarded to be the most influential Black leader of his time, Booker T. Washington's last years were devoted
C. Booker T.Washington, being regarded the most influential Black leader of his time, devoted his last years
D. Being regarded as the most influential Black leader of his time, Booker T.Washington had devoted his last years
E. Booker T. Washington, regarded as the most influential Black leader of his time, devoted his last years
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Sailing through rough waters. Stars & few kudos will steer me past.

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The last years of Booker T. Washington, regarded to be the most [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2018, 01:55
I think it's B.
C, D, E could be eliminated because of their respective last words "last years", which couldn't be followed by to building. Instead, it should have been "to build". Now among A & B, in option B "devoted" which is addressed for last years is more close. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Posted from my mobile device
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B
Re: The last years of Booker T. Washington, regarded to be the most [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2018, 03:18
This post received
KUDOS
Being regarded or regarded to be are wrong.So E is correct.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2018, 04:33
This post received
KUDOS
Regarded as is correct. Hence D or E.

D uses incorrect tense.

Hence E.

Sent from my SM-T285 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2018, 07:34
imo E
regarded as

A- regarded to be
B modifier modifies years instead of Booker
C,D- being regarded
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
S

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2018, 12:14
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
styxnexus wrote:
I think it's B.
C, D, E could be eliminated because of their respective last words "last years", which couldn't be followed by to building. Instead, it should have been "to build". Now among A & B, in option B "devoted" which is addressed for last years is more close. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Hello styxnexus,

I am afraid Choice B is not the correct answer.

Choice B begins with the modifier Regarded to be the most influential Black leader of his time. Logically, this modifier must modify. But this entity does not exist in the sentence.

Since the subject in Choice B is Booker T. Washington's last years, the opening verb-ed modifier illogically modifies last years.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2018, 09:20
Also, A,B are wrong because 'Washington's years' cannot be regarded as 'a Black leader.' Wrong modifier.
Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
S

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2018, 09:52
megakee9 wrote:
Also, A,B are wrong because 'Washington's years' cannot be regarded as 'a Black leader.' Wrong modifier.

Hello megakee9,

Your analysis tells me that you think that in Choice A, regarded to be the most influential Black leader of his time refers to The last years.

I am afraid that is not the case. In Choice A, the noun modifier regarded to be the most influential Black leader of his time modifies the immediate preceding noun Booker T. Washington.

Following is another correct official sentence in which a similar noun modifier modifies the immediate preceding noun:

The exploits of Nellie Bly, a pioneer journalist, included circling the globe faster than Jules Verne's fictional Phileas Fogg.

In the above-mentioned correct sentence, the noun modifier a pioneer journalist correctly modifies the immediate preceding noun Nellie Bly and not The exploits because that modification is not logical.

Same is the case with the official sentence in question. It does not make sense for the noun modifier regarded to be... to modify The last years.

Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Intern
Intern
B
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2018, 12:08
A. The last years of Booker T. Washington, regarded to be the most influential Black leader of his time, were devoted - "as?"
B. Regarded to be the most influential Black leader of his time, Booker T. Washington's last years were devoted - wrong modifier
C. Booker T.Washington, being regarded the most influential Black leader of his time, devoted his last years - "as?"
D. Being regarded as the most influential Black leader of his time, Booker T.Washington had devoted his last years - incorrect tense
E. Booker T. Washington, regarded as the most influential Black leader of his time, devoted his last years

Correct ?
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2018, 22:06
styxnexus wrote:
I think it's B.

A modifier cannot modify a possesive noun. In B it says [ modifier, modified noun's last year's] B is modifying last year not WASHINGTON.

Sent from my XT1562 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2018, 22:10
egmat wrote:
megakee9 wrote:

Hello megakee9,

Your analysis tells me that you think that in Choice A, regarded to be the most influential Black leader of his time refers to The last years.

I am afraid that is not the case. In Choice A, the noun modifier regarded to be the most influential Black leader of his time modifies the immediate preceding noun Booker T. Washington.

Following is another correct official sentence in which a similar noun modifier modifies the immediate preceding noun:

The exploits of Nellie Bly, a pioneer journalist, included circling the globe faster than Jules Verne's fictional Phileas Fogg.

In the above-mentioned correct sentence, the noun modifier a pioneer journalist correctly modifies the immediate preceding noun Nellie Bly and not The exploits because that modification is not logical.

Same is the case with the official sentence in question. It does not make sense for the noun modifier regarded to be... to modify The last years.

Thanks.
Shraddha
Hello Shraddha mam,
My doubt is - isn't the noun itself a modifier? I mean isn't the noun Nellie providing more information about the entity exploits. Then how can a modifier modify another modifier? If it can please enlighten me.

Sent from my XT1562 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Re: The last years of Booker T. Washington, regarded to be the most   [#permalink] 13 Apr 2018, 22:10

The last years of Booker T. Washington, regarded to be the most

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap