GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Dec 2018, 05:44

TODAY:

MIT Sloan R1 Decisions - Join MIT Chat for Live Updates | Chat with UCLA Anderson Adcom @9am PT | Chat with Yale SOM R1 Admit 10am PT

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Happy Christmas 20% Sale! Math Revolution All-In-One Products!

December 20, 2018

December 20, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

This is the most inexpensive and attractive price in the market. Get the course now!
  • Key Strategies to Master GMAT SC

December 22, 2018

December 22, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Attend this webinar to learn how to leverage Meaning and Logic to solve the most challenging Sentence Correction Questions.

The last years of Booker T. Washington, regarded to be the most

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
P
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.98
The last years of Booker T. Washington, regarded to be the most  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2018, 00:31
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

88% (01:05) correct 12% (01:21) wrong based on 215 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The last years of Booker T. Washington, regarded to be the most influential Black leader of his time, were devoted to building a political power base that extended far beyond the confines of Tuskegee institute.

A. The last years of Booker T. Washington, regarded to be the most influential Black leader of his time, were devoted
B. Regarded to be the most influential Black leader of his time, Booker T. Washington's last years were devoted
C. Booker T.Washington, being regarded the most influential Black leader of his time, devoted his last years
D. Being regarded as the most influential Black leader of his time, Booker T.Washington had devoted his last years
E. Booker T. Washington, regarded as the most influential Black leader of his time, devoted his last years

Sailing through rough waters. Stars & few kudos will steer me past.

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The last years of Booker T. Washington, regarded to be the most  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2018, 00:55
I think it's B.
C, D, E could be eliminated because of their respective last words "last years", which couldn't be followed by to building. Instead, it should have been "to build". Now among A & B, in option B "devoted" which is addressed for last years is more close. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
B
Re: The last years of Booker T. Washington, regarded to be the most  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2018, 02:18
Being regarded or regarded to be are wrong.So E is correct.
Intern
Intern
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2018, 03:33
Regarded as is correct. Hence D or E.

D uses incorrect tense.

Hence E.

Sent from my SM-T285 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V25
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2018, 06:34
imo E
regarded as

A- regarded to be
B modifier modifies years instead of Booker
C,D- being regarded
e-GMAT Representative
G

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2018, 11:14
styxnexus wrote:
I think it's B.
C, D, E could be eliminated because of their respective last words "last years", which couldn't be followed by to building. Instead, it should have been "to build". Now among A & B, in option B "devoted" which is addressed for last years is more close. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Hello styxnexus,

I am afraid Choice B is not the correct answer.

Choice B begins with the modifier Regarded to be the most influential Black leader of his time. Logically, this modifier must modify. But this entity does not exist in the sentence.

Since the subject in Choice B is Booker T. Washington's last years, the opening verb-ed modifier illogically modifies last years.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2018, 08:20
Also, A,B are wrong because 'Washington's years' cannot be regarded as 'a Black leader.' Wrong modifier.
e-GMAT Representative
G

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2018, 08:52
megakee9 wrote:
Also, A,B are wrong because 'Washington's years' cannot be regarded as 'a Black leader.' Wrong modifier.

Hello megakee9,

Your analysis tells me that you think that in Choice A, regarded to be the most influential Black leader of his time refers to The last years.

I am afraid that is not the case. In Choice A, the noun modifier regarded to be the most influential Black leader of his time modifies the immediate preceding noun Booker T. Washington.

Following is another correct official sentence in which a similar noun modifier modifies the immediate preceding noun:

The exploits of Nellie Bly, a pioneer journalist, included circling the globe faster than Jules Verne's fictional Phileas Fogg.

In the above-mentioned correct sentence, the noun modifier a pioneer journalist correctly modifies the immediate preceding noun Nellie Bly and not The exploits because that modification is not logical.

Same is the case with the official sentence in question. It does not make sense for the noun modifier regarded to be... to modify The last years.

Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Manager
Manager
S
GMAT 1: 600 Q48 V25
GPA: 3.5
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2018, 11:08
A. The last years of Booker T. Washington, regarded to be the most influential Black leader of his time, were devoted - "as?"
B. Regarded to be the most influential Black leader of his time, Booker T. Washington's last years were devoted - wrong modifier
C. Booker T.Washington, being regarded the most influential Black leader of his time, devoted his last years - "as?"
D. Being regarded as the most influential Black leader of his time, Booker T.Washington had devoted his last years - incorrect tense
E. Booker T. Washington, regarded as the most influential Black leader of his time, devoted his last years

Correct ?
Director
Director
P

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2018, 21:06
styxnexus wrote:
I think it's B.

A modifier cannot modify a possesive noun. In B it says [ modifier, modified noun's last year's] B is modifying last year not WASHINGTON.

Sent from my XT1562 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Director
Director
P

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2018, 21:10
egmat wrote:
megakee9 wrote:

Hello megakee9,

Your analysis tells me that you think that in Choice A, regarded to be the most influential Black leader of his time refers to The last years.

I am afraid that is not the case. In Choice A, the noun modifier regarded to be the most influential Black leader of his time modifies the immediate preceding noun Booker T. Washington.

Following is another correct official sentence in which a similar noun modifier modifies the immediate preceding noun:

The exploits of Nellie Bly, a pioneer journalist, included circling the globe faster than Jules Verne's fictional Phileas Fogg.

In the above-mentioned correct sentence, the noun modifier a pioneer journalist correctly modifies the immediate preceding noun Nellie Bly and not The exploits because that modification is not logical.

Same is the case with the official sentence in question. It does not make sense for the noun modifier regarded to be... to modify The last years.

Thanks.
Shraddha
Hello Shraddha mam,
My doubt is - isn't the noun itself a modifier? I mean isn't the noun Nellie providing more information about the entity exploits. Then how can a modifier modify another modifier? If it can please enlighten me.

Sent from my XT1562 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Director
Director
P

Show Tags

New post 22 Apr 2018, 04:06
Regarded as correct idiom
Description of simple past event .. no need of had usage.

So answer is E

Give kudos if you like the post

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 22 Apr 2018, 11:25
push12345 Why is A wrong. Is it wrong solely for the wrong idiom usage of regarded to Vs regarded as?

Is the following example explanation correct? :
John, regarded as an influential leader is correct
John, regarded to be the most influential leader is Wrong.

so regarded to is wrong and regarded as is correct. ?

thanks for the clarification.

1. Well Begun is Half done
2. He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes; he who does not ask a question remains a fool forever.
3. The night is darkest just before the dawn

Director
Director
P

Show Tags

New post 22 Apr 2018, 16:46
Rocket7 wrote:
push12345 Why is A wrong. Is it wrong solely for the wrong idiom usage of regarded to Vs regarded as?

Is the following example explanation correct? :
John, regarded as an influential leader is correct
John, regarded to be the most influential leader is Wrong.

so regarded to is wrong and regarded as is correct. ?

thanks for the clarification.
Yes because regarded as is correct idiom.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2018, 08:53
push12345 appreciate the response and clarification.

2. He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes; he who does not ask a question remains a fool forever.

Director
Director
P

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2018, 09:07
If you like explanation and clarification ,feel free to give kudos..

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2018, 09:26
push12345 Very subtle way of making a point and expressing a need for a reward! You are a true businessman. lol. You got it bud no problem. However, since you asked for a much tangible way of appreciation when asked for an explanation and clarification. I will also appreciate if you can include a bit more than just a line or two when you answer any question or provide explanations. Because when you give detailed reasoning per answer choice I guess the need for asking explanations would evaporate. However, I understand that all responses cannot be extensive and detailed. But all in all, I appreciate your explanations and clarifications. And there will be no hesitation in giving kudos. If you ever find any of my response worthy enough do share the love. You are the man. Thank you for the help

BSchool Forum Moderator
V
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2018, 09:48
The last years of Booker T. Washington, regarded to be the most influential Black leader of his time, were devoted to building a political power base that extended far beyond the confines of Tuskegee institute.

--Regarded "as" is the correct idiom. Only option "E" has the correct usage.

A. The last years of Booker T. Washington, regarded to be the most influential Black leader of his time, were devoted
B. Regarded to be the most influential Black leader of his time, Booker T. Washington's last years were devoted
C. Booker T.Washington, being regarded the most influential Black leader of his time, devoted his last years
D. Being regarded as the most influential Black leader of his time, Booker T.Washington had devoted his last years

Kudos if my post helps!

Long And A Fruitful Journey - V21 to V41; If I can, So Can You!!
Preparing for RC my way
RC Summary Activity - New Project to imporve RC Skills
Bloomberg's US Bschool Ranking

My study resources:
1. Useful Formulae, Concepts and Tricks-Quant | 2. e-GMAT's ALL SC Compilation | 3. LSAT RC compilation | 4. Actual LSAT CR collection by Broal | 5. QOTD RC (Carcass) | 6. Challange OG RC | 7. GMAT Prep Challenge RC

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2018, 13:26
arun6765 wrote:

Modifier Question: verb+ed.

A. The last years of Booker T. Washington, regarded to be the most influential Black leader of his time, were devoted - Incorrect, its not the last years which is regarded.

B. Regarded to be the most influential Black leader of his time, Booker T. Washington's last years were devoted - Incorrect, "Regarded to be" is wrong idiom it should be "Regarded as".

C. Booker T.Washington, being regarded the most influential Black leader of his time, devoted his last years - Incorrect, being is wrong here.

D. Being regarded as the most influential Black leader of his time, Booker T.Washington had devoted his last years - Incorrect, being is wrong here.

E. Booker T. Washington, regarded as the most influent Black leader of his time, devoted his last years color=#ff0000]- Correct. Verb+ed modifer usage is correct. "Regarded as" idiom is correct.

Answer: (E).

:-) Non-Allergic To Kudos :-)

Manager
Manager
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2018, 05:01
The modifier "regarded to be the most influential Black leader of his time" wrongly modifies the the last years where it should modify the Booker T. Washington. Regarded as is the correct idiom.
Hence A, B and C is eliminated. D uses wrong tense. Therefore E is the right choice.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: The last years of Booker T. Washington, regarded to be the most &nbs [#permalink] 24 Apr 2018, 05:01

The last years of Booker T. Washington, regarded to be the most

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap