GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Aug 2018, 22:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The majority of the professors at the college, as well as all the grad

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

SVP
SVP
P
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
The majority of the professors at the college, as well as all the grad  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jan 2018, 17:21
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

40% (00:28) correct 60% (00:26) wrong based on 476 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The majority of the professors at the college, as well as all the graduate students, seems to oppose the new campus private policy.

A. seems to oppose
B. seems to be opposed against
C. seem to be opposed against
D. seems to be opposed to
E. seem to oppose
Intern
Intern
B
GPA: 3.55
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Re: The majority of the professors at the college, as well as all the grad  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jan 2018, 17:36
chesstitans wrote:
the majority of the professors at the college, as well as all the graduate students, seems to oppose the new campus private policy.

A.seems to oppose
C seem to be opposed against
D seems to be opposed to
E seem to oppose

“The majority” is the noun which must agree with the verb. GMAT considers majority to be a singular noun. Not all literarians would agree with this, however we must play by their rules.
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 460 Q32 V22
Re: The majority of the professors at the college, as well as all the grad  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2018, 00:27
chesstitans wrote:
the majority of the professors at the college, as well as all the graduate students, seems to oppose the new campus private policy.

A.seems to oppose
D seems to be opposed to
E seem to oppose

The correct answer here is A. Here is the reason why. "as well as" "in addition to" does not add plural meaning to the sentence. The subject of the sentences is "The majority" which is singular and hence the verb should also be singular "Seems" is the singular verb.

A.seems to oppose - Correct
B. seems to be opposed against - too wordy
C seem to be opposed against - opposite/against synonyms
D seems to be opposed to - "to be" infinitive
E seem to oppose[/quote] - plural verb "seem"
Board of Directors
P
GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2018, 11:20
chesstitans wrote:

A. seems to oppose
D seems to be opposed to
E seem to oppose

Correct Answer must be (A) for the highlighted errors in other options..

Thanks and Regards

Abhishek....

PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULES FOR POSTING IN QA AND VA FORUM AND USE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE POSTING NEW QUESTIONS

How to use Search Function in GMAT Club | Rules for Posting in QA forum | Writing Mathematical Formulas |Rules for Posting in VA forum | Request Expert's Reply ( VA Forum Only )

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 24 Jan 2018, 08:42
this is very awkward , I chose E as majority is a plural . Alas GMAT considers it to be singular. Back to cave now :|
Manager
Manager
B
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 24 Jan 2018, 20:00
chesstitans wrote:

A.seems to oppose
D seems to be opposed to
E seem to oppose

Can anyone please explain why is the infinitive wrong in option D?
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
B

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2018, 16:39
Hi chesstitans,

Thank you for your question. Let's start by figuring out what is different about each answer, and tackling one thing at a time. Here is what I noticed when looking over each answer quickly:

1. seem vs. seems
2. to oppose / to be opposed against / to be opposed to

If we look at the issue of "seem vs. seems," it's clearly a matter of subject/verb agreement. The verb is referring back to "The majority," which is a singular noun (a "majority" of anything is called a collective noun, and is treated like one thing). So we need to stick with only answers that use the singular "seems." This means we can rule out answers C & E because they use a plural verb, which is incorrect.

Now, let's look at what we have left in answers A, B, & D:

A. seems to oppose
This answer is CORRECT because it's the most clear and concise answer.

"Opposed" and "against" mean the same thing, so this answer is INCORRECT because it's redundant. You only need to say one or the other - both is too much!

D. seems to be opposed to
This is incorrect because it's overly wordy. Just saying "oppose" is enough.

There you go - answer A is correct because it uses proper subject-verb agreement, and it's not overly wordy or redundant.

"Students study. GMAT assassins train."

★★★★★ GMAT Club Verified Reviews for EMPOWERgmat & Special Discount

GMAT Club Verbal Advantage EMPOWERgmat Critical Reasoning Question Pack

Manager
Manager
G
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 30 Jan 2018, 19:22
Hi Experts! I think the OA is wrong here. The majority of + Plural Noun needs a Plural verb.

Can you please help? thanks!

Please take a moment to hit Kudos if my post helps.

Manager
Manager
G
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 30 Jan 2018, 19:45
sayanmukherjee22 wrote:
this is very awkward , I chose E as majority is a plural . Alas GMAT considers it to be singular. Back to cave now :|

That is not true. 'Majority of' is not always singular.

Please take a moment to hit Kudos if my post helps.

Manhattan Prep Instructor
S

Show Tags

New post 01 Feb 2018, 00:17
"A majority" can be either singular or plural, depending on the intended meaning/emphasis. I might say "The majority rules" (singular) or "The majority of my friends are Democrats" (plural). Clearly, I can't say "The majority of my friends is a Democrat" or "is Democrats"!

In the original question, the use of the singular seems inappropriate, as if the author believes that "majority" is always singular and didn't consider the meaning. I don't see any reason to view the majority as one body in this case.

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
WE: Consulting (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2018, 11:51
DmitryFarber wrote:
"A majority" can be either singular or plural, depending on the intended meaning/emphasis. I might say "The majority rules" (singular) or "The majority of my friends are Democrats" (plural). Clearly, I can't say "The majority of my friends is a Democrat" or "is Democrats"!

In the original question, the use of the singular seems inappropriate, as if the author believes that "majority" is always singular and didn't consider the meaning. I don't see any reason to view the majority as one body in this case.

Hi DmitryFarber,

Doesn't "as well as Graduate Students" make the subject Plural here. Yes, "A majority" can be either singular or plural, depending on the intended meaning but the usage of "as well as Graduate Students" makes it plural.

Can you please verify if my understanding is right.

If my Post helps you in Gaining Knowledge, Help me with KUDOS.. !!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2018, 05:48
The OA does not seem to be right.

A majority of students are going for the match. Here "majority" acts as a quantity prepositional phrase.
The majority has won the election. Here the "majority" acts as a collective noun.

Why is the subject considered singular in this sentence? This is confusing!
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2018, 06:12
Correct answer (E)

Here "the majority of the professors" is referring to the individuals rather than the majority (as a group).
Then, professors is plural --> "The majority of the professors" is a plural subject

Extra notes:

-The additive phrase "As well as" never makes the subject plural. Only the word "and" can change a singular subject into a plural one.
- Remember, singular subjects followed by additive phrases remain singular subjects:
- Additive phrases: along with, accompanied by, in addition to, together with, as well as, including..
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2018, 06:15
rahul16singh28 wrote:
DmitryFarber wrote:

Hi DmitryFarber,

Doesn't "as well as Graduate Students" make the subject Plural here. Yes, "A majority" can be either singular or plural, depending on the intended meaning but the usage of "as well as Graduate Students" makes it plural.

Can you please verify if my understanding is right.

-The additive phrase "As well as" never makes the subject plural. Only the word "and" can change a singular subject into a plural one.
- Remember, singular subjects followed by additive phrases remain singular subjects:
- Additive phrases: along with, accompanied by, in addition to, together with, as well as, including..
Manager
Manager
G
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2018, 08:09
GMATNinja GMATNinjatwo egmat mikemcgarry
Experts, can anyone of you throw some light on the use of "Majority" in the question?

Please mention my name in your valuable replies.

Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: IIMA
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V27
GPA: 4
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2018, 08:16
abhimahna

Shouldn't the correct choice be E. I don't see any reason to consider "the majority of the professors at the college, as well as all the graduate students" singular
Board of Directors
V
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2018, 09:19
itisSheldon wrote:
GMATNinja GMATNinjatwo egmat mikemcgarry
Experts, can anyone of you throw some light on the use of "Majority" in the question?

prateek176 wrote:
abhimahna

Shouldn't the correct choice be E. I don't see any reason to consider "the majority of the professors at the college, as well as all the graduate students" singular

Hey itisSheldon / prateek176 ,

This is a poor quality question and should not be given so much importance.

As clearly mentioned by DmitryFarber here, the usage of the majority is inapproriate.

Answer to this question should be E.

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog

GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.

New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!

Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free

Manhattan Prep Instructor
S

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2018, 11:03
rahul16singh28 The "as well as" portion doesn't affect the subject. As zamiraolortegui, adding a phrase on doesn't change the singular/plural nature of the subject. A quick rule of thumb is that if something is set off by commas, it is probably modifying rather than joining on to the noun.

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Re: The majority of the professors at the college, as well as all the grad &nbs [#permalink] 31 Mar 2018, 11:03

The majority of the professors at the college, as well as all the grad

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap