Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 02:38 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 02:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1779 [22]
Given Kudos: 2562
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1663 [1]
Given Kudos: 348
GMAT 1: 650 Q50 V28
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V40
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1779 [1]
Given Kudos: 2562
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
Re: The new crime legislation, introduced by Senator Gladstone in response [#permalink]
Kudos
idjevin wrote:
AshutoshB, most of your reasoning is correct. However, don't you think parallelism is vioated in option C ?

I feel (B) is the better answer, since a conjunction is required only between the last two points(as given in option B).
What are your thoughts?

GMAT club forum

here is OE from Magoosh,
I am happy to respond to you

2) The three elements that will be increased need to be in parallel. The first two, “police databases” and “funding for neighborhood watch groups” are before the underline section. The third element, ” programs to rehabilitate at-risk youth,” has to have the word “and” in front of it because it’s the last element on the list. Also, the action of decreasing has to be separate from this list. Choices (A) & (B) treat the action of decreasing as another element on the list, which is incorrect. Choices (D) & (E) introduce a separate verb for the third element on the list, disrupting the parallelism. Only (C) gets all of this correct.

BTW, notice: to show purpose, the construction “programs for rehabilitating” is awkward — this is what (A) & (D) have. What we need is the infinitive of purpose, “programs to rehabilitate.”

For all these reasons, (C) is the only possible answer.

For the post of the other member, I do not know about his assumption.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5650 [1]
Given Kudos: 416
Send PM
The new crime legislation, introduced by Senator Gladstone in response [#permalink]
Bookmarks

MAGOOSH Official Explanation:

The three elements that will be increased need to be in parallel. The first two, "police databases" and "funding for neighborhood watch groups" are before the underline section. The third element, "programs to rehabilitate at-risk youth," has to have the word "and" in front of it because it's the last element on the list. Also, the action of decreasing has to be separate from this list. Choices (A) & (B) treat the action of decreasing as another element on the list, which is incorrect. Choices (D) & (E) introduce a separate verb for the third element on the list, disrupting the parallelism. Only (C) gets all of this correct.

BTW, notice: to show purpose, the construction "programs for rehabilitating" is awkward --- this is what (A) & (D) have. What we need is the infinitive of purpose, "programs to rehabilitate."

For all these reasons, (C) is the only possible answer.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 131 [0]
Given Kudos: 205
Send PM
Re: The new crime legislation, introduced by Senator Gladstone in response [#permalink]
Read this sentence in Captain Holt's voice, made me understand it better lol.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2162 [0]
Given Kudos: 368
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 560 Q41 V26
GMAT 2: 550 Q43 V23
GMAT 3: 650 Q47 V33
GMAT 4: 650 Q44 V36
GMAT 5: 600 Q38 V35
GMAT 6: 710 Q47 V41
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
The verb "decease" is not parallel with the nouns ...i.e. the structure Increase (verb) Noun, Noun, Noun, and decrease (verb) includes "decrease" in the list.

We need to close this off by the following structure:
Increase {start list 1: noun, noun, and noun}, and decrease {start list 2...}
Only (C) and (E) have this structure.

(C) and programs to rehabilitate at-risk youth, while decreasing
(E) and programs to rehabilitate at-risk youth would be increased, while decreasing

(E) repeats "increase" and reads as follows: "increase programs to rehabilitate at-risk youth would be increased" -- this is nonsensical- ->Eliminate.

(C) is correct
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Can anyone explains the use of decreasing is correct instead of full verb decrease?
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6856 [2]
Given Kudos: 500
The new crime legislation, introduced by Senator Gladstone in response [#permalink]
Kudos