GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Jul 2018, 22:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The only preexisting recordings that are transferred onto

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
The only preexisting recordings that are transferred onto [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 29 Nov 2017, 05:45
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

85% (hard)

Question Stats:

48% (01:39) correct 52% (01:36) wrong based on 662 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The only preexisting recordings that are transferred onto compact disc are those that record companies believe will sell well enough on compact disc to be profitable. So, most classic jazz recordings will not be transferred onto compact disc, because few classic jazz recordings are played on the radio.

The conclusion above follows logically if which one of the following is assumed?

(A) Few of the preexisting recordings that record companies believe can be profitably transferred to compact disc are classic jazz recordings.

(B) Few compact discs featuring classic jazz recordings are played on the radio.

(C) The only recordings that are played on the radio are ones that record companies believe can be profitably sold as compact discs.

(D) Most record companies are less interested in preserving classic jazz recordings than in making a profit.

(E) No recording that is not played on the radio is one that record companies believe would be profitable if transferred to compact disc.

Originally posted by vjsharma25 on 15 Mar 2011, 22:52.
Last edited by Mahmud6 on 29 Nov 2017, 05:45, edited 2 times in total.
Formatted
Most Helpful Community Reply
4 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Columbia, INSEAD, RSM, LBS
Re: The only preexisting recordings that are transferred onto [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Mar 2011, 13:48
Answer is E.
No recording that is not played on the radio is
one that record companies believe would be
profitable if transferred to compact disc.

This can also be Read as

ALL (No) recordings that ARE (not) played on the radio is

C is also close enuf but " ONLY" used in the sentence negates the meaning
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: HBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V47

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2011, 01:37
Answer has to bring radio into picture- so A B D are straight eliminated.
Option C or E
Director
Director
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: University of Chicago Booth School of Business
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2011, 03:08
hey guys do you know how to treat "no" in E. It looked extreme and hence I missed the answer. gmat CR are discrete and different from the LSAT ones - extreme cannot be a gmat answer. Am I correct? Pls comment.
Director
Director
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 17 Mar 2011, 21:12
Just one Correction - "all" need not be assumed to make this work. I mean realistic assumptions are everyday assumptions. In the original version E is going overboard by assuming "no". It's unrealistic! Maybe the author is too bookish :-)

Posted from my mobile device
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
GMAT Tutor
S

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2011, 06:57
Your typical GMAT question is more nuanced than most of the prep company questions posted on this forum, and you don't often find all-encompassing words like 'never' or 'any' among GMAT answer choices. Still, such words do sometimes appear, and you should not simply rule out an answer choice which uses that kind of language -- sometimes you'll be ruling out the correct answer. Questions 93 and 101 in the OG, for example, have correct answers which use the word 'any'.

There is no guessing strategy I know of which you can use successfully on the GMAT without understanding something about what a question is actually asking. If you jump straight to the answer choices in a real GMAT CR question and rule out every answer choice which uses 'extreme' language, often enough you'll be ruling out the right answer. I disagree with prep books that advise otherwise.

GMAT Tutor in Toronto

If you are looking for online GMAT math tutoring, or if you are interested in buying my advanced Quant books and problem sets, please contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com

Director
Director
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2011, 07:13
Ian
Thanks... for caveat. We have to more careful. What is the treatment for "never" and "all". Dont reject them until you have read through the fifth option. And if you found something better then eliminate the extreme. Am I doing it right?

IanStewart wrote:
Your typical GMAT question is more nuanced than most of the prep company questions posted on this forum, and you don't often find all-encompassing words like 'never' or 'any' among GMAT answer choices. Still, such words do sometimes appear, and you should not simply rule out an answer choice which uses that kind of language -- sometimes you'll be ruling out the correct answer. Questions 93 and 101 in the OG, for example, have correct answers which use the word 'any'.

There is no guessing strategy I know of which you can use successfully on the GMAT without understanding something about what a question is actually asking. If you jump straight to the answer choices in a real GMAT CR question and rule out every answer choice which uses 'extreme' language, often enough you'll be ruling out the right answer. I disagree with prep books that advise otherwise.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2011, 08:01
dear IEsailor,
please tell me the difference between C and E.
Regards
IEsailor wrote:
Answer is E.
No recording that is not played on the radio is

This can also be Read as

ALL (No) recordings that ARE (not) played on the radio is

C is also close enuf but " ONLY" used in the sentence negates the meaning
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GPA: 3.2

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2011, 22:54
C looks good to me.. I found E to be extreme..

Two great challenges: 1. Guts to Fail and 2. Fear to Succeed

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2011, 22:55
The only recordings that are not played on radio...... Doesnt attack conclusion but strengthens it sames with if you tried The only recordings that are played on radio are not the ones.....
Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS, LBS, Wharton, Kelloggs, Booth

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2012, 22:08
The only preexisting recordings that are transferred onto compact disc are those that record companies
believe will sell well enough on compact disc to be profitable. So, most classic jazz recordings will not be
transferred onto compact disc, because few classic jazz recordings are played on the radio.

Let us see what the assumption is here.
Premise:
Company ppl will transfer onto CDs only those Recs. that they think will bring $$$.

Conclusion:
Most CJRs will not be transferred onto CDs. WHY? because few CJRs are on the Radio(I think why there is a sudden addition of radios into the picture)
So, taking the logical leap here, the argument is saying that
1)those Recs. that are played on the radio will be transferred onto CDs.
2)those recs. that are transferred onto CDs will bring $$$.

Hence, Recs. that are played on the radio will bring $$$ to company. precisely what E is saying.

(A) Few of the preexisting recordings that record companies believe can be profitably transferred to compact disc are classic jazz recordings.
(B) Few compact discs featuring classic jazz recordings are played on the radio. stated in the argument. Hence, cannot be conclusion.
(C) The only recordings that are played on the radio are ones that record companies believe can be profitably sold as compact discs. false. This statement is the same as St.1 of the stimulus, with Pre exist. recs. replaces by Radio. the conclusion does not link PERs and Radio.
(D) Most record companies are less interested in preserving classic jazz recordings than in making a profit. Irrelevant.
(E) No recording that is not played on the radio is one that record companies believe would be profitable if transferred to compact disc. [color=#FF0000]This statement implies that a recording that is played on the radio is, in fact, the one that companies believe is profitable. [/color]
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 24 Jan 2012, 02:49
E
people can just buy jazz discs, radio is not the only source of profit
Manager
Manager
Status: exam is close ... dont know if i ll hit that number
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 10-09-2012
GPA: 3.2

Show Tags

New post 24 Jan 2012, 08:06
this question is really a tough one for me ..

any logical approach for this kind of questions..

i would definitely give wrong answer if this question appears on real gmat..

just one more month for exam...

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2012, 04:16
mohan514 wrote:
this question is really a tough one for me ..

any logical approach for this kind of questions..

i would definitely give wrong answer if this question appears on real gmat..

I hope this would be of some help :

found this discussion on one of the manhattan LSAT forum

http://www.manhattanlsat.com/forums/q22 ... t2259.html
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2012, 15:14
So, most classic jazz recordings will not be
transferred onto compact disc, because few classic jazz recordings are played on the radio.

With this line in mind the answer E was quite obvious for me.
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2014, 03:51
The only preexisting recordings that are transferred
onto compact disc are those that record companies
believe will sell well enough on compact disc to be
profitable. So, most classic jazz recordings will not be
transferred onto compact disc, because few classic jazz
recordings are played on the radio.

The conclusion above follows logically if which one of
the following is assumed?

(A) Few of the preexisting recordings that record
companies believe can be profitably transferred
to compact disc are classic jazz recordings.
(B) Few compact discs featuring classic jazz
recordings are played on the radio.
(C) The only recordings that are played on the radio
are ones that record companies believe can be
profitably sold as compact discs.
(D) Most record companies are less interested in
preserving classic jazz recordings than in
making a profit.
(E) No recording that is not played on the radio is

I got it right but would like to verify my reasoning after a few discussions.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Concentration: Technology, Other
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 27 May 2015, 07:47
Premise:
The only preexisting recordings that are transferred onto compact disc are those that record companies believe will sell well enough on compact disc to be profitable.
Conclusion:
So, most classic jazz recordings will not be transferred onto compact disc, because few classic jazz recordings are played on the radio.

Assumption: Recordings played on the radio are those that r believed profitable.

The conclusion above follows logically if which one of the following is assumed?

(A) Few of the preexisting recordings that record companies believe can be profitably transferred to compact disc are classic jazz recordings.-Out
(B) Few compact discs featuring classic jazz recordings are played on the radio. -irrelevant
(C) The only recordings that are played on the radio are ones that record companies believe can be profitably sold as compact discs.- Opposite of wht we r looking for
(D) Most record companies are less interested in preserving classic jazz recordings than in making a profit.
(E) No recording that is not played on the radio is one that record companies believe would be profitable if transferred to compact disc.

--------------------------------------------------------
Regards :)

Originally posted by JarvisR on 05 Sep 2014, 07:49.
Last edited by JarvisR on 27 May 2015, 07:47, edited 1 time in total.
2 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
B
Status: On a mountain of skulls, in the castle of pain, I sit on a throne of blood.
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2014, 09:30
The only preexisting recordings that are transferred onto compact disc are those that record companies believe will sell well enough on compact disc to be profitable. So, most classic jazz recordings will not be transferred onto compact disc, because few classic jazz recordings are played on the radio.

Note that there is a gap in the logic. Profitable--->Transfer on CD. Few Classic Jazz played on Radio--->Classic Jazz wont be transferred to CD. Therefore, we can conclude that being played on radio is important for a type of music to be profitable. Maybe radios are a powerful medium for popularizing a type of music and thus contributing to its sales and hence the profits that the music earns.

(A) Few of the preexisting recordings that record companies believe can be profitably transferred to compact disc are classic jazz recordings. Doesnt fill our gap in logic as discussed above.
(B) Few compact discs featuring classic jazz recordings are played on the radio.It is stated in the premises. Cannot be the assumption
(C) The only recordings that are played on the radio are ones that record companies believe can be profitably sold as compact discs. This reverses the sequence of cause and effect. What we want to see is that radios affect the profitability of the music. This option presupposes profitability before the music reached radio and in a way suggests that it is the record companies that decide if a music will be profitable or not. But what we are looking for is that record companies being reactionary and taking decisions based on what radios do.
(D) Most record companies are less interested in preserving classic jazz recordings than in making a profit. Irrelevant
(E) No recording that is not played on the radio is one that record companies believe would be profitable if transferred to compact disc. Double negative used. So this option should read as No All recordings that is are not played on the radio is are ones that record companies believe would be profitable if transferred to compact disc.This perfectly places the cause and effect in place as we discussed earlier.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.4
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 06 May 2015, 05:40
E. No recording that is not played on the radio is one that record companies believe would be profitable if transferred to compact disc.

Remove the No and the Not .The option will read out as recording that is played on the radio is one that record companies believe would be profitable if transferred to compact disc.
Hence E is assumption ,on which the conclusion is based.

Regards,
Manish Khare
"Every thing is fine at the end. If it is not fine ,then it is not the end "

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)

Show Tags

New post 06 May 2015, 10:15
Conclusion: Most classic jazz recordings will not be transferred to compact disc.

(By the way, as a jazz musician, this question breaks my heart.)

The assumption is pretty clear: if it's not played on the radio, record companies don't believe it will sell profitably.

(E) expresses that assumption, because we could translate it into this conditional statement:

not played on radio -----> record companies don't believe profitable

(C) looks tempting, but when we convert it into a conditional statement, we get something a little different:

played on the radio -----> record companies believe profitable

Well, that looks similar, right? But wait: that's just a negated form of the proper assumption, which doesn't help us. In other words, the argument depends on an assumption about records that are not played on the radio. This answer only tells us about records that are played on the radio. But just because records that are on the radio sell profitably, that doesn't mean records that aren't on the radio won't sell profitably! So this answer is actually out of scope with respect to the core.

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Re: The only preexisting recordings that are transferred onto   [#permalink] 06 May 2015, 10:15

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 26 posts ] 

The only preexisting recordings that are transferred onto

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap