GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 29 Feb 2020, 00:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The organic food industry has organized a successful grassro

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 06 Feb 2010
Posts: 137
Concentration: Marketing, Leadership
Schools: University of Dhaka - Class of 2010
GPA: 3.63
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
The organic food industry has organized a successful grassro  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Nov 2013, 02:33
2
18
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  5% (low)

Question Stats:

81% (01:07) correct 19% (01:20) wrong based on 727 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The organic food industry has organized a successful grassroots campaign—using Web sites, public meetings, and also mass mailings—that have convinced the Department of Agriculture to change the proposed federal regulations for organically grown food.

(A) using Web sites, public meetings, and also mass mailings—that have convinced

(B) using Web sites, public meetings, and mass mailings—that has convinced

(C) by using Web sites, public meetings, and mass mailings—in convincing

(D) by the use of Web sites, public meetings, as well as mass mailings—that convinced

(E) which used Web sites, public meetings, and mass mailings—in convincing
MBA Blogger
User avatar
B
Joined: 19 Apr 2014
Posts: 79
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: NTU '19
WE: Analyst (Computer Software)
Re: The organic food industry has organized a successful grassro  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2014, 06:22
I chose D but that is wrong. Is it ok to use has twice in a sentence, as in the OA?
The organic food industry has........that has convinced....!!
Please explain!!
Retired Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 15 Jun 2012
Posts: 976
Location: United States
Re: The organic food industry has organized a successful grassro  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2014, 13:23
2
1
scofield1521 wrote:
I chose D but that is wrong. Is it ok to use has twice in a sentence, as in the OA?
The organic food industry has........that has convinced....!!
Please explain!!


Hello scofield1521

The structure of of the sentence is: The organic food industry has organized campaign -............- that has convinced government......

The part between the two dashes is just modifier, so "that" modifies "campaign". Thus, the second "has" agrees with "campaign" not the main subject - the organic industry.

In addition, D is wrong because:

1. Verb tense. Past simple tense does not match with present perfect tense "has organized" because the effect of the action, organizing, is still effective at present. If you use "convinced", you mean the action is done, but it's not the intended meaning.

2. Too wordy. Clearly, "by using X, Y, and Z" is much better than "by the use of X, Y as well as Z".

Hope it helps.
MBA Blogger
User avatar
B
Joined: 19 Apr 2014
Posts: 79
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: NTU '19
WE: Analyst (Computer Software)
Re: The organic food industry has organized a successful grassro  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2014, 20:20
pqhai wrote:
scofield1521 wrote:
I chose D but that is wrong. Is it ok to use has twice in a sentence, as in the OA?
The organic food industry has........that has convinced....!!
Please explain!!


Hello scofield1521

The structure of of the sentence is: The organic food industry has organized campaign -............- that has convinced government......

The part between the two dashes is just modifier, so "that" modifies "campaign". Thus, the second "has" agrees with "campaign" not the main subject - the organic industry.

In addition, D is wrong because:

1. Verb tense. Past simple tense does not match with present perfect tense "has organized" because the effect of the action, organizing, is still effective at present. If you use "convinced", you mean the action is done, but it's not the intended meaning.

2. Too wordy. Clearly, "by using X, Y, and Z" is much better than "by the use of X, Y as well as Z".

Hope it helps.


Thanks pqhai,
Now makes sense. :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 02 Mar 2012
Posts: 263
Schools: Schulich '16
Re: The organic food industry has organized a successful grassro  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2016, 01:40
B.

A is out coz of S/V agreement

That here is a restrictive clause here which is needed to explain that the campaign helped to changed he regulation.

Plus after the - a,b,and c is much better than a,b,as well as c
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 14 Jan 2016
Posts: 32
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Re: The organic food industry has organized a successful grassro  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Nov 2017, 05:44
I've a doubt. Would be helpful if someone could answer it for me.

I eliminated (A) because I thought "that" in this sentence refers to the closest noun, (i.e.) mass mailings.

Can "that" jump over a modifying phrase separated by commas to refer a far away noun? If yes, why can't "which" follow the same rule?
Retired Moderator
User avatar
S
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 2837
Location: Germany
Schools: German MBA
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: The organic food industry has organized a successful grassro  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Nov 2017, 06:03
1
2
sahilmshah92 wrote:
I've a doubt. Would be helpful if someone could answer it for me.

I eliminated (A) because I thought "that" in this sentence refers to the closest noun, (i.e.) mass mailings.

Can "that" jump over a modifying phrase separated by commas to refer a far away noun? If yes, why can't "which" follow the same rule?


When you have a portion separated by two dashes, consider as though that portion does not exist at all in the sentence. Thus the modifier touch rule remains valid in this case: "that" touches "campaign" (since you have to consider that the part "—using Web sites, public meetings, and also mass mailings—" does not exist).

The same is applicable for "which" as well.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 14 Jan 2016
Posts: 32
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Re: The organic food industry has organized a successful grassro  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Nov 2017, 08:02
sayantanc2k wrote:
sahilmshah92 wrote:
I've a doubt. Would be helpful if someone could answer it for me.

I eliminated (A) because I thought "that" in this sentence refers to the closest noun, (i.e.) mass mailings.

Can "that" jump over a modifying phrase separated by commas to refer a far away noun? If yes, why can't "which" follow the same rule?


When you have a portion separated by two dashes, consider as though that portion does not exist at all in the sentence. Thus the modifier touch rule remains valid in this case: "that" touches "campaign" (since you have to consider that the part "—using Web sites, public meetings, and also mass mailings—" does not exist).

The same is applicable for "which" as well.


In that case could you please help me in understanding the below official question.
In option (A), shouldn't "which" skip the phrase separated by the commas and refer to "weather"? The reason I'm asking this is because in the official solution it says that in option (A) "which" awkwardly seems to refer "regions".

Analysts blamed May's sluggish retail sales on unexciting merchandise as well as the weather, colder and wetter than was usual in some regions, which slowed sales of barbecue grills and lawn furniture.

A. colder and wetter than was usual in some regions, which slowed
B. which was colder and wetter than usual in some regions, slowing
C. since it was colder and wetter than usually in some regions, which slowed
D. being colder and wetter than usually in some regions, slowing
E. having been colder and wetter than was usual in some regions and slowed
Verbal Forum Moderator
User avatar
V
Status: Greatness begins beyond your comfort zone
Joined: 08 Dec 2013
Posts: 2455
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Kelley '20, ISB '19
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: The organic food industry has organized a successful grassro  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2017, 19:35
4
The organic food industry has organized a successful grassroots campaign—using Web sites, public meetings, and also mass mailings—that have convinced the Department of Agriculture to change the proposed federal regulations for organically grown food.

A. using Web sites, public meetings, and also mass mailings—that have convinced -- subject-verb agreement -- campaign have
B. using Web sites, public meetings, and mass mailings—that has convinced - Correct
C. by using Web sites, public meetings, and mass mailings—in convincing
D. by the use of Web sites, public meetings, as well as mass mailings—that convinced -- the construction "X, Y, as well as Z" simply doesn't exist.
another way to figure out that this is wrong is to realize that "as well as ..." is a MODIFIER, and thus can be stricken from the sentence without affecting the surrounding grammar.
that's problematic: if you strike "as well as mass mailings" from (d), you get remaining words that clearly don't work.

E. which used Web sites, public meetings, and mass mailings—in convincing -- incorrect verb tense. "which used" (simple past tense) shouldn't be in a tense occurring prior to "has organized" (present perfect). this construction mistakenly suggests that the campaign "used X, Y, and Z" before it was even organized in the first place.

the problem with (c) is NOT grammatical; the grammar of (c) is just fine.
the problem with (c) is that it uses two different transitions incorrectly.

* if you say "subject + clause + BY VERBing", then "by VERBing" must explain HOW the main clause occurred.
e.g.
i prepared for the test by reviewing takeaways on the MGMAT forums.
note that the boldface clause describes HOW i prepared for the test.

choice (c) means that using websites, etc. was how the industry organized the campaign -- in other words, they used the websites and public meetings to organize the campaign in the first place. that's an incorrect meaning.
(the campaign ITSELF used these things; the correct modifier in (a) and (b) shows that relationship.)

* if you say "subject + clause + IN VERBing", then subject + clause must be an ACTUAL PART of the action of VERBing.
e.g.
i solved all the problems in OG12 in preparing for the GMAT.
--> notice that solving the problems IS ACTUALLY PART OF preparing for the test.

choice (c) fails here, too, since organizing the campaign (the main clause) is not ACTUALLY PART OF convincing the government.

Answer B
_________________
When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 08 Aug 2016
Posts: 13
Re: The organic food industry has organized a successful grassro  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2018, 01:56
Skywalker18 wrote:
The organic food industry has organized a successful grassroots campaign—using Web sites, public meetings, and also mass mailings—that have convinced the Department of Agriculture to change the proposed federal regulations for organically grown food.

A. using Web sites, public meetings, and also mass mailings—that have convinced -- subject-verb agreement -- campaign have
B. using Web sites, public meetings, and mass mailings—that has convinced - Correct
C. by using Web sites, public meetings, and mass mailings—in convincing
D. by the use of Web sites, public meetings, as well as mass mailings—that convinced -- the construction "X, Y, as well as Z" simply doesn't exist.
another way to figure out that this is wrong is to realize that "as well as ..." is a MODIFIER, and thus can be stricken from the sentence without affecting the surrounding grammar.
that's problematic: if you strike "as well as mass mailings" from (d), you get remaining words that clearly don't work.

E. which used Web sites, public meetings, and mass mailings—in convincing -- incorrect verb tense. "which used" (simple past tense) shouldn't be in a tense occurring prior to "has organized" (present perfect). this construction mistakenly suggests that the campaign "used X, Y, and Z" before it was even organized in the first place.

the problem with (c) is NOT grammatical; the grammar of (c) is just fine.
the problem with (c) is that it uses two different transitions incorrectly.

* if you say "subject + clause + BY VERBing", then "by VERBing" must explain HOW the main clause occurred.
e.g.
i prepared for the test by reviewing takeaways on the MGMAT forums.
note that the boldface clause describes HOW i prepared for the test.

choice (c) means that using websites, etc. was how the industry organized the campaign -- in other words, they used the websites and public meetings to organize the campaign in the first place. that's an incorrect meaning.
(the campaign ITSELF used these things; the correct modifier in (a) and (b) shows that relationship.)

* if you say "subject + clause + IN VERBing", then subject + clause must be an ACTUAL PART of the action of VERBing.
e.g.
i solved all the problems in OG12 in preparing for the GMAT.
--> notice that solving the problems IS ACTUALLY PART OF preparing for the test.

choice (c) fails here, too, since organizing the campaign (the main clause) is not ACTUALLY PART OF convincing the government.

Answer B


Skywalker18 Good Explanation.

However its a good practice to mention the source from where you copied the post rather than passing it as your own.

The post is copied from - https(colon)//www(dot)manhattanprep(dot)com/gmat/forums/the-organic-food-industry-t6929(dot)html .
RonPurewal's post
Director
Director
avatar
P
Joined: 29 Jun 2017
Posts: 967
Re: The organic food industry has organized a successful grassro  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2019, 01:44
monirjewel wrote:
The organic food industry has organized a successful grassroots campaign—using Web sites, public meetings, and also mass mailings—that have convinced the Department of Agriculture to change the proposed federal regulations for organically grown food.

(A) using Web sites, public meetings, and also mass mailings—that have convinced

(B) using Web sites, public meetings, and mass mailings—that has convinced

(C) by using Web sites, public meetings, and mass mailings—in convincing

(D) by the use of Web sites, public meetings, as well as mass mailings—that convinced

(E) which used Web sites, public meetings, and mass mailings—in convincing


I want to say about a problem on SC.

normally gmat test us meaning and logic. this mean we are faced with 2 meanings, one logic and another not logic.

for easy problem, one of the two meaning is not logic clearly, and we can safely eliminate the illogical meaning

but for some problems, we see that both meanings are logic. but, of course, there is only one intended meaning. how do we do?

if this case happen, we have to use intuition to realize that one meaning is more reasonable and other meaning is less reasonable. in other words, the illogical meaning is less clear and we have to use intuition to realize. this job is hard at home and harder in the test room. I call this LESS REASONABLE MEANING

the key to success on this problem is to realize that "in convincing" modifying the main clause is LESS REASONABLE than "that have convinced" which modifies "compains".


I use the words LESS REASONABLE meaning to differentiate this case from the illogical meaning,which is very easy to realize.

for me, and possibly for many other non natives, the meaning of "in convincing" in choice c and e is not illogical but if we face two meaning, the meaning of "that have convinced" is more reasonable.

am i correct? pls, comment. thank you
GMAT Club Bot
Re: The organic food industry has organized a successful grassro   [#permalink] 30 Jul 2019, 01:44
Display posts from previous: Sort by

The organic food industry has organized a successful grassro

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne