GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Oct 2019, 12:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The public's general concern about the solvency of the Social Security

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Senior SC Moderator
V
The public's general concern about the solvency of the Social Security  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jan 2019, 09:58
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

51% (01:22) correct 49% (01:30) wrong based on 513 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Project SC Butler: Day 75 Sentence Correction (SC1)

For SC butler Questions Click Here

The public's general concern about the solvency of the Social Security Trust Fund and their overall faith in the long-term growth of the stock market has led to a rise in interest in Individual Retirement Accounts or IRAs

A) and their overall faith in the long-term growth of the stock market has

B) and they have overall faith in in the long-term growth of the stock market which has

C) as well as their overall faith in the long-term growth of the stock market, has

D) as well as overall faith in the long-term growth of the stock market, have

E) and its overall faith in the long-term growth of the stock market have

The best or excellent answers get kudos, which will be awarded after the answer is revealed.

Choose life.
Board of Directors
D
GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The public's general concern about the solvency of the Social Security  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jan 2019, 10:45
generis wrote:

The public's general concern about the solvency of the Social Security Trust Fund and their overall faith in the long-term growth of the stock market has led to a rise in interest in Individual Retirement Accounts or IRAs

B) and they have overall faith in in the long-term growth of the stock market which has

C) as well as their overall faith in the long-term growth of the stock market, has

The best or excellent answers get kudos, which will be awarded after the answer is revealed.

the Social Security Trust Fund = Will take singular (its)
concern about the solvency and overall faith = Will take plural as joined by AND (have)

Errors in other options marked in RED, correct Answer must be (E)

Abhishek....

PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULES FOR POSTING IN QA AND VA FORUM AND USE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE POSTING NEW QUESTIONS

How to use Search Function in GMAT Club | Rules for Posting in QA forum | Writing Mathematical Formulas |Rules for Posting in VA forum | Request Expert's Reply ( VA Forum Only )
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GMAT 1: 570 Q47 V23
GMAT 2: 610 Q47 V27
GMAT 3: 640 Q48 V31
WE: Account Management (Advertising and PR)
Re: The public's general concern about the solvency of the Social Security  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jan 2019, 11:35
E should be the right answer.

A) is wrong because it uses a singular verb(has) for a plural subject(Public's concern and their overall faith)
B) is Wrong for the same reason as mentioned in A
C) is Wrong because of the use of comma before "has".The Comma doesn't serve any purpose in this option.GMAT never encourages inappropriate usages
D) is Wrong because it uses a plural verb "Have" for a singular subject public's concern.Remember As well As is not same as And.The first subject defines the verb agreement.So in our case it is Public's concern,a singular subject.
E) is the Right answer,Which ignores all the above errors.

Correct me if i am wrong!
Manager
Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 20 Jan 2019, 12:28
imo E

A) and their overall faith in the long-term growth of the stock market has ----wrong, no antecedant of their, verb should be HAVE

B) and they have overall faith in in the long-term growth of the stock market which has---wrong, no antecedant of they, meaning change

C) as well as their overall faith in the long-term growth of the stock market, has---wrong, no antecedant of their, meaning change

D) as well as overall faith in the long-term growth of the stock market, have---wrong, Verb usage should be singular for Subject public's general concern

E) and its overall faith in the long-term growth of the stock market have---Correct

Be very critical of my Post
Ask as many questions of my post possible
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GPA: 4
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 20 Jan 2019, 12:59
(Concern... And Faith..) have led to..

Need 'it' instead of 'their', as Social security fund is singular.

Posted from my mobile device
P
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 20 Jan 2019, 20:27
Quote:

Quote:

Their is plural but public's is singular.S-V agreement error.

Quote:

They is plural but public's is singular.S-V agreement error.

Quote:

Their is plural but public's is singular.S-V agreement error.

Quote:

as well as and have not in S-V agreement. 'A as well as B' takes a singular form and not plural.

Quote:

This is correct structure.

IMO E.
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 20 Jan 2019, 21:28
The subject of the sentence is "the public's general concern" so it is a singular subject. We can rule out A B C due to Subject-verb agreement
D presents a point that change the meaning of the sentence and makes it sounds awkard. Moreover, "have" does not agree with the subject.
E is the correct answer for sure.
Can we get something of more difficult? :P

Manager
Manager
S
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2019, 08:08
The subject is singular-Public..so the second part of sentence should also use Singular Verb "it's".
The correct option is E which uses singular subject-verb pair .

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2019, 08:39
I have a doubt that in option E, its refers to the social security fund, while in original sentence, their pronoun was calling People

Senior SC Moderator
V
The public's general concern about the solvency of the Social Security  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2019, 11:17
rohu123 wrote:
I have a doubt that in option E, its refers to the social security fund, while in original sentence, their pronoun was calling People

rohu123 , option A does not determine original meaning.
If the correct option differs from the meaning presented in option A, such difference means absolutely nothing
except that the grammatically and logically correct answer displays the intended meaning.

I can understand why you might think that option A determines the original answer.

This myth started spreading a long time ago.
Since then, the myth has expanded geometrically.

Again, the grammatically correct answer also contains the correct meaning, and vice versa.

If you need more evidence, you can Google www.gmatclub.com sentence correction generis "option A does not determine" (in quotation marks) and meaning

You will find citation links to experts with 10+ years' of experience teaching the GMAT, all of whom say that
the correct answer need not match option A's apparently intended meaning.

I say "apparently" about Option A's intended meaning
because there are plenty of instances in which Option A's meaning is incomprehensible or
based on faulty logic ("Logical predication" in the official guides' official explanations).

Or search my posts in SC, then search again for "Option A."

I hope that helps. :)

Choose life.
Senior SC Moderator
V

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2019, 11:21
GiuPao94 wrote:
The subject of the sentence is "the public's general concern" so it is a singular subject. We can rule out A B C due to Subject-verb agreement
D presents a point that change the meaning of the sentence and makes it sounds awkard. Moreover, "have" does not agree with the subject.

Hi GiuPao94 - good to see you again.

In option C, "as well as" does not make the subject plural.
Your assertion is incorrect.

Correct: Michael, as well as Arne, likes cookies.
Wrong: Michael, as well as Arne, like cookies.

Harder questions?

Have you looked through the Butler questions? We have worked hard to post more than 150 questions.

If you do not believe that the 700 level questions are hard enough for you, let me know.
This advice applies to everyone: before anyone takes "harder" questions exclusively, she or he ought to be scoring
with at least 80% accuracy in allotted time per question on questions at the 600-level and 600-700 level.
(And for those of you who want a 700+ score, that accuracy level should be 95-98% on 600-700 questions and 10-20 seconds under time allotted.)

In fact, there are plenty of 600-700 level questions that are hard.

You can search the forum HERE

I will do a little bit of the work for you. Below are hardER questions. I have plenty of work, though. :)

Hard question 1
Hard question 2
Hard question 3
Hard question 4

I hope that helps.

Choose life.
Senior SC Moderator
V

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2019, 11:29

OFFICIAL EXPLANATION
My annotations are in blue typeface.

•The word their refers to the word public. However, their is plural while public is singular. Eliminate A. Eliminate C, which repeats the mistake

• Another plural pronoun, they, has been added to B, which makes it wrong for the same reason as that in A and C; eliminate answer B

[I do not agree with the authors of this OE on this option] Option D uses a plural verb yet again for a singular subject.
As well as does not make any subject, public included, plural.

• Choice E corrects the pronoun (or verb, if the verb was what you chose to focus on) error.

Answer E

COMMENTS
First, arunshankarkkkk , welcome!

If anyone has questions after she or he reads the OE, please post them.

RULE: As well as does not make a subject plural.
Other similar "additive phrases" also do not make a subject plural. GMAC tests the issue.

ADDITIVE PHRASES. Additive phrases such as the five below do not make the subject plural.

a) P, as well as Q,
b) P, along with Q
c) P, together with Q,
d) P, in addition to Q,
e) P, including Q,

Correct: Samuel, as well as Bjorn, eats lunch every day.
Wrong: Samuel, as well as Bjorn, eat lunch every day.

Correct: Prerak, along with Abhishek, eats lunch every day.
Wrong: Prerak, along with Abhishek, eat lunch every day.

If you see any of those "additive phrases" attached to one subject —
as well as, along with, together with, in addition to, including— the subject is not made plural by those phrases.

Those phrases are prepositional phrases. (Including is defined as a preposition in Oxford Online Dictionary.
The verb to include, obviously, is not a preposition.)
Because they are prepositional phrases and not conjunctions (e.g. and), the rules about compound subjects change.

Learn the pattern. It's not hard. A little weird, maybe, :-D but not hard.

If you would like further explanation, please see this post, here

warrior1991 wrote the best answer. Kudos!

Choose life.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2019, 11:56
generis wrote:
GiuPao94 wrote:

Harder questions?

Have you looked through the Butler questions? We have worked hard to post more than 150 questions.

If you do not believe that the 700 level questions are hard enough for you, let me know.
This advice applies to everyone: before anyone takes "harder" questions exclusively, she or he ought to be scoring with at least 80% accuracy in allotted time per question.
(And for those of you who want a 700+ score, that accuracy level should be 95-98% on 600-700 questions and 10-20 seconds under time allotted.)

I will do a little bit of the work for you. Below are hardER questions. I have plenty of work, though. :)

Hard question 1
Hard question 2
Hard question 3
Hard question 4

I hope that helps.

Hi! Option C presents "their" and this surely lead to a plural subject, and this is the reason why I ruled out it quickly.
I'll give a shot to your links, thank you :)
Senior SC Moderator
V

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2019, 15:16
GiuPao94 wrote:
generis wrote:
GiuPao94 wrote:

Harder questions?

This advice applies to everyone: before anyone takes "harder" questions exclusively, she or he ought to be scoring with at least 80% accuracy in allotted time per question.

Hard question 1
Hard question 2
Hard question 3
Hard question 4

I hope that helps.

Hi! Option C presents "their" and this surely lead to a plural subject, and this is the reason why I ruled out it quickly.
I'll give a shot to your links, thank you :)

GiuPao94 , you're very welcome.

You wrote: Option C presents "their" and this surely lead to a plural subject . . .
No. "Their" does not surely lead to a plural subject.

The phrase "as well as" makes "the public" the only "real" subject. Public is singular.

THEIR is an inappropriate pronoun for a singular public.

Even if C's pronoun correctly were ITS, what follows as well as is not included in the subject.

What follows an additive phrase does not matter. If the first noun is singular, the verb should be singular.

Although I explained the rule about additive phrases, you seem to have ignored what I wrote and to have simply insisted, incorrectly, that the subject in option C is compound.

The subject in C is not compound.

Please cite some authority for your implied statement that "as well as" can make the subject plural on the GMAT?

I will stand corrected, and contentedly so at that. I will amend my answer accordingly.

Incorrect assertions create confusion.

Forum members who read the thread later do not know what to believe.

As well as, including, and in addition to are the three most commonly tested additive phrases.

Example 3 from Mike McGarry's post linked below not only has a plural after the additive phrase, but also has a compound additive phrase.

The subject of that sentence, just as in Option C, is still singular.

People can find Mike Mcgarry's post on additive phrases HERE.

Choose life.
Manager
Manager
B
GPA: 2.99

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2019, 15:54
We can directly eliminate A, B and D.

Only C & E left.

Answer E makes sense since ''the solvency'' and ''its overall faith'' together make the verb plurial ->'' have''.

Answer E.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 600 Q43 V30

Show Tags

New post 21 Feb 2019, 10:54
DEAR EXPERT,
What does its refer to in the choice B, as the subject of the sentence is public's general concern, not public itself.

Please help me fill up my gap.
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 650 Q39 V40
GMAT 2: 660 Q44 V37
GPA: 2.91

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2019, 00:18
Tricky. BUT, something that I notice is if I can see that any of the pronouns and subjects disagree you can usually knock out a few choices pretty fast. In this rare case it knocked out all of them and I was had this out in a few seconds.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2019, 01:17
I think E is the right answer not because 'its' refer to fund.
(Fund's faith in the growth... have led... )
How a fund can have faith? Public can have faith which makes more sense.
In my opinion public refers to a group of people ; so it's a collective noun and collective nouns are always singular.
So its refer to the public.
Hence, public's concern and public's faith (so plural subject) get a plural verb have.
So, E is the right answer.

Senior SC Moderator
V

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2019, 23:41
deveshj21 wrote:
DEAR EXPERT,
What does its refer to in the choice B, as the subject of the sentence is public's general concern, not public itself.

Please help me fill up my gap.

deveshj21 , I think that you mean (E)?

The public's general concern about the solvency of the Social Security Trust Fund AND its [the public's] overall faith in the long-term growth of the stock market have led to a rise in interest in Individual Retirement Accounts or IRAs.

The public in the possessive form actually refers to two nouns, concern and faith.

The public's concern about the Trust Fund

AND

ITS [The public's] overall faith in the stock market . . .

If we break the sentence down, we find a compound subject

-- Underline = possessive adjective

-- Italics = noun to which the possessive adjectives refers

-- Bold = main words in the prepositional phrases that are the direct objects of concern and faith, respectively.

The public's general
concern
about
the solvency
of the Social Security Trust Fund
AND
its [the public'] overall
faith
in
the long-term growth
of the stock market

have led to a rise in interest in Individual Retirement Accounts or IRAs.

Hope that helps. :-)

Choose life.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 600 Q43 V30

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2019, 00:45
Sorry for the typo, I meant "E" only, and thank you for clearing my doubt.

GMAT Club Bot
The public's general concern about the solvency of the Social Security   [#permalink] 23 Feb 2019, 00:45

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 22 posts ] 

The public's general concern about the solvency of the Social Security

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics