GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 12 Dec 2018, 02:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • The winning strategy for 700+ on the GMAT

December 13, 2018

December 13, 2018

08:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

What people who reach the high 700's do differently? We're going to share insights, tips and strategies from data we collected on over 50,000 students who used examPAL.
  • GMATbuster's Weekly GMAT Quant Quiz, Tomorrow, Saturday at 9 AM PST

December 14, 2018

December 14, 2018

09:00 AM PST

10:00 AM PST

10 Questions will be posted on the forum and we will post a reply in this Topic with a link to each question. There are prizes for the winners.

The recent decline in the employment rate was spurred by predictions

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
The recent decline in the employment rate was spurred by predictions  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 05 Nov 2018, 07:13
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

54% (01:27) correct 46% (01:40) wrong based on 740 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The recent decline in the employment rate was spurred by predictions of slow economic growth in the coming year. However, those predictions would not have affected the employment rate if it had not been for the lack of capital reserves of major industries. So if major industries increase their capital reserves, the employment rate will not decline in the future.

Which of the following, if true, casts the most doubt on the validity of the argument above?

A. Major industry foresaw the drop in employment.

B. Some major industries had appreciable capital reserves.

C. An increase in labor costs could adversely affect the employment rate.

D. The government could pass legislation mandating that major industries set aside a fixed amount as capital reserves every year.

E. The drop in the employment rate was more severe this year than last.

Originally posted by aaron22197 on 08 Jul 2008, 04:02.
Last edited by Bunuel on 05 Nov 2018, 07:13, edited 2 times in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Math Expert
V
Re: The recent decline in the employment rate was spurred by predictions  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Feb 2016, 04:16
RAHKARP27071989 wrote:

Hi chetan2u,

I got your reasoning, but one more thing to ask..

Quote:
Up to my understanding if GMAT question says-->Increasing A leads to increase B ) And now we need to weaken this conclusion
That means we need to show Increasing A DOES NOT leads to increase B
Now, if we come across an option which says Increasing C DOES NOT leads to increase B ( This option can't WEAKEN until C and A are interlinked )

you are correct in the observation. But the logic in the Q does not follow the same pattern..
It says:- However, those predictions would not have affected the employment rate if it had not been for the lack of capital reserves of major industries...
the use of "if it had not been for" tells us that capital reseves is the only reason"
So to negate it, we have to show " that there can be other reasons too which can lead to same outcome"

here the logic is..
1)A would not have happened if it had not been for B..
that is Only B can lead to A..
2)to weaken this, you have to show C can also lead to A..
this is exactly Choice C is doing ..

1) Absolute modulus : http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
2)Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html
3) effects of arithmetic operations : https://gmatclub.com/forum/effects-of-arithmetic-operations-on-fractions-269413.html

GMAT online Tutor

General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Re: The recent decline in the employment rate was spurred by predictions  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2008, 05:18
The recent decline in the employment rate was spurred by predictions of slow economic growth in the coming year. However, those predictions would not have affected the employment rate if it had not been for the lack of capital reserves of major industries. So if major industries increase their capital reserves, the employment rate will not decline in the future.

Which of the following, if true, casts the most doubt on the validity of the argument above?

C)An increase in labor costs could adversely affect the employment rate.

This clearly mentiones that just increasing capital reserves will not stop the employement rate. There are other factors/variables that can affect the employement rate.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2013, 09:31
The conclusion is that "if major industries increase their capital reserves, the
employment rate will not decline in the future." Why? Because major industry did
not have capital reserves. The author assumes that having capital reserves is
sufficient to prevent a decline in the employment rate. We are asked to cast
doubt (i.e., weaken) the author's claim.
(A) Whether the drop in employment was foreseen does not relate to the core of
the argument, which is that capital reserves will prevent another decline in the
employment rate.
(B) The fact that some major industries had appreciable capital reserves does
not contradict the claim that an increase in these reserves would prevent a future
drop in employment rates.
(C) CORRECT. The author neglects to take into account the fact that other
factors, such as an increase in labor costs, could adversely affect the
employment rate. For example, if the cost of labor becomes prohibitively
expensive, even with increased reserves, the employment rate could decline.
(D) Legislation mandating a certain level of reserves does not contradict the
claim that increased reserves would prevent a drop in employment rates.
(E) The fact that the employment rate was more severe this year than last does
not contradict the claim that an increase in reserves would prevent a drop in the
employment rate.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 30 Jan 2016, 09:38
Hi souvik101990,

Can you please share OE...??

chetan2u,

Although I choose the correct answer, but I am not convinced.
I opted C because other options ( A, D and E) are completely irrelevant.

Now left with B and C.

Conclusion- if major industries increase their capital reserves, the employment rate will not decline in the future
As we have to weaken the argument, so we need to find an option which says
Increasing capital reserve not going improve employment rate.

The word "SOME" makes me cautious. Therefore eliminated.

I opted it bcz nothing left.
What is the link between LABOR COSTS and CASH RESERVES....?

Does it mean if labor cost increases then we have to take amount from cash reserve and hence employment rate not going to improve..?
Am I rite..?

Please assist.

Thanks and Regards,
Prakhar

Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 30 Jan 2016, 19:35
RAHKARP27071989 wrote:
Hi souvik101990,

chetan2u,

I opted C because other options ( A, D and E) are completely irrelevant

Conclusion- if major industries increase their capital reserves, the employment rate will not decline in the future

Does it mean if labor cost increases then we have to take amount from cash reserve and hence employment rate not going to improve..?
Am I rite..?

Please assist.

Hi,

here, we have to doubt the argument, and just not the conclusion..

the argument is..
decline in employment rate was spurred by predictions of slow growth. However,predictions would not have affected if major ind had capital reserves...
and conclusion is
if the major industries increase their cash reserves, there will be no decline in employment rate..

You have eliminated B for correct reasons ..

the reasoning for C to be correct is:-
C. An increase in labor costs could adversely affect the employment rate...

C is giving reasons other than sufficient reserves that can result in decrease of employment rate.
So even if the industries had sufficient reserves, an increase in labour costs can lead to decrease in employment rate..

1) Absolute modulus : http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
2)Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html
3) effects of arithmetic operations : https://gmatclub.com/forum/effects-of-arithmetic-operations-on-fractions-269413.html

GMAT online Tutor

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 31 Jan 2016, 13:45
chetan2u wrote:
RAHKARP27071989 wrote:
Hi souvik101990,

chetan2u,

I opted C because other options ( A, D and E) are completely irrelevant.

Now left with B and C.

Am I rite..?

Please assist.

Hi,

here, we have to doubt the argument, and just not the conclusion..

the argument is..
decline in employment rate was spurred by predictions of slow growth. However,predictions would not have affected if major ind had capital reserves...
and conclusion is
if the major industries increase their cash reserves, there will be no decline in employment rate..

You have eliminated B for correct reasons ..

the reasoning for C to be correct is:-
C. An increase in labor costs could adversely affect the employment rate...

C is giving reasons other than sufficient reserves that can result in decrease of employment rate.
So even if the industries had sufficient reserves, an increase in labour costs can lead to decrease in employment rate..

Hi chetan2u,

I got your reasoning, but one more thing to ask..

Up to my understanding if GMAT question says-->Increasing A leads to increase B ) And now we need to weaken this conclusion
That means we need to show Increasing A DOES NOT leads to increase B
Now, if we come across an option which says Increasing C DOES NOT leads to increase B ( This option can't WEAKEN until C and A are interlinked )

In argument

The conclusion says-->
Increase in Cash reserves leads to improve employment rate or decrease Unemployment.
Now if any option gives any kind of connection between Labor cost and Employment Rate--> WE DON'T CARE
Bcz we just need to prove Improving Cash reserves does not improve employment rate.

We will only consider any option if it is going to make impact on Cash reserve and in turn impact on employment rate.

CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG

Thanks and Regards,
Prakhar

Director
Director
G
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Schools: HBS '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 4
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2017, 19:54
Conclusion :- "So if major industries increase their capital reserves, the employment rate will not decline in the future."

Weaken :- "Major industries increase their capital reserves, the employment rate will decline in the future."

To weaken, we just need to find a choice that tells us there are other ways to decrease the employment rate. The answer choice C fits the bill :-

(C) CORRECT. The author neglects to take into account the fact that other factors, such as an increase in labor costs, could adversely affect the
employment rate. For example, if the cost of labor becomes prohibitively expensive, even with increased reserves, the employment rate could decline.

Thanks & Regards,
Anaira Mitch

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V29
GPA: 4
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 15 Nov 2018, 04:32
aaron22197 wrote:

D. The government could pass legislation mandating that major industries set aside a fixed amount as capital reserves every year.

I think this is not a 700Q. Anyways let's get to basics.

Major industries increase the capital reserve -> no decline in the unemployment rate.
To weaken the conclusion, You must see this as a causal passage. increasing capital reserve as the cause and decline in the unemployment as the effect.
If A causes B, to weaken the conclusion One can show B causes A or C causes B.

Anyways...

Tell me honestly would it weaken the conclusion, if the government mandates major industries to set aside a fixed amount. Then the employment rate might decline due to other factors or might not decline because of the available money..

Drop in the employment rate in this year was more, so What? I should increase more reserve? Note that the increase in the reserve has not yet taken place. If it had taken place and the drop in the employment rate was more severe then it would be a weakener.. so as of now it is not.

Okay if they did why did not they increase the capital reserve? How is this related to capital reserve increase?

Yes it did.. Why did then the employment rate decline.. because only some major industries only had capital reserves? .. so if all had there would be no shortage of employment.. isn't this strengthening..

If an increase in labor cost affected the employment rate... then capital reserves had no-effect (PROBABLY); so this is the best weakener.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: The recent decline in the employment rate was spurred by predictions &nbs [#permalink] 15 Nov 2018, 04:32

The recent decline in the employment rate was spurred by predictions

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap