GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Nov 2018, 00:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • All GMAT Club Tests are Free and open on November 22nd in celebration of Thanksgiving Day!

November 22, 2018

November 22, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Mark your calendars - All GMAT Club Tests are free and open November 22nd to celebrate Thanksgiving Day! Access will be available from 0:01 AM to 11:59 PM, Pacific Time (USA)
  • Free lesson on number properties

November 23, 2018

November 23, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Practice the one most important Quant section - Integer properties, and rapidly improve your skills.

The redemption rate for e-mailed coupons

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
The redemption rate for e-mailed coupons  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 07 Oct 2018, 06:43
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

75% (01:20) correct 25% (01:22) wrong based on 398 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The redemption rate for e-mailed coupons is far lower than that for traditionally distributed paper coupons. One factor is the "digital divide"—those who might benefit the most from using coupons, such as homemakers, the elderly, and those in low-income households, often do not have the knowledge or equipment necessary to go online and receive coupons.

Which of the following, if true, does the most to support the claim that the digital divide is responsible for lower electronic coupon redemption rates?

(A) Computers are available for free in libraries, schools, and community centers.

(B) The redemption rate of ordinary coupons is particularly high among elderly and low income people that do not know how to use computers.

(C) Many homes, including those of elderly and low income people, do not have high-speed internet connections.

(D) More homemakers than elderly people would use computers if they had access to them.

(E) The redemption rate for coupons found on the internet has risen in the last five years.

Apoorv

I realize that i cannot change the world....But i can play a part :)

Originally posted by apoorv601 on 02 Jun 2015, 20:54.
Last edited by Skywalker18 on 07 Oct 2018, 06:43, edited 1 time in total.
formatted
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Re: The redemption rate for e-mailed coupons  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2015, 13:53
This is a strengthen critical reasoning question. On these first develop a solid understanding of the argument, and then if possible predict what a correct answer choice would look like.

The argument here is:

Premise: Redemption rate of e-mailed coupons is lower than paper coupons
Premise: Those who might benefit the most from using coupons (homemakers, etc) often do not have the knowledge and equipment necessary to go online and receive coupons
Conclusion: The fact that those who might benefit most from using coupons don't have the resources to obtain them (the "digital divide") is one of the factors contributing to a lower rate of redemption for e-mailed coupons than paper coupons.

As for my prediction, I am keeping it vague and looking for some evidence that, if given easier access to these e-mailed coupons, these people would actually be more likely to redeem them.

Answer choice A - This would weaken the argument because it is belittling the idea of the digital divide by showing other resources that these people can use to obtain the coupons. This is a trap answer, because we are trying to strengthen the argument.

Answer choice B - This strengthens the argument and is thus correct. If some of the people discussed in the second premise, the people who would benefit most from using coupons, use an abnormally large amount of ordinary coupons then most likely they would use more e-mailed coupons if they were more readily available.

Answer choice C - The lack of resources has already been covered in the second premise, so this does not strengthen the argument. Repeating a premise will never strengthen or weaken an argument.

Answer choice D - This is out of scope. The difference in usage amongst different members of the group is not important.

Answer choice E - This is out of scope also. The redemption rate of e-coupons now compared to in the past doesn't matter.

I hope this helps!

Brandon
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

If you found this post helpful, please give me kudos!!! :)

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2018, 09:51
Please explain how is B correct? How is 'ordinary coupons' in the answer choice = 'emailed coupons' in the question stem? Instead the answer should be C - it says the concerned stakeholders in the question stem actually lack resources.

Someone please find a flaw in my reasoning, so I can learn from my mistake (if I have made any)!!!
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2018, 23:40
1. Tell yourself in simple terms what you need to strengthen
In this case, you need to strengthen the fact that the digital divide is responsible for lower electronic coupon redemption rates

2. Ask yourself what data you already have about things mentioned in whatever you are strengthening
In this case,
a. The redemption rate for e-mailed coupons < the redemption rate for traditionally distributed paper coupons.
b. Proposed reason is "digital divide"- those who might benefit the most from using coupons, such as homemakers, the elderly, and those in low-income households, often do not have the knowledge or equipment necessary to go online and receive coupons.

3. Remember that the correct answer cannot repeat any of the given data points
In this case, option C is a repetition of given data. We already know that there are people who lack internet connection (equipment needed to access the e-coupons)

4. Try to plug in your chosen answers back into the given argument to see if it all fits together
Let's try that with option B and option C here

Option B - The redemption rate for e-mailed coupons is far lower than that for traditionally distributed paper coupons. One factor is the "digital divide"—those who might benefit the most from using coupons, such as homemakers, the elderly, and those in low-income households, often do not have the knowledge or equipment necessary to go online and receive coupons. The redemption rate of ordinary coupons is particularly high among elderly and low income people that do not know how to use computers.. Hence the claim that the digital divide is responsible for lower electronic coupon redemption rates is true

This makes sense as an argument because we now have an additional data point that the usage of coupons is higher among those people who do not have the means to redeem e-coupons. This explains why there is more redemption of paper coupons

Option C - The redemption rate for e-mailed coupons is far lower than that for traditionally distributed paper coupons. One factor is the "digital divide"—those who might benefit the most from using coupons, such as homemakers, the elderly, and those in low-income households, often do not have the knowledge or equipment necessary to go online and receive coupons. Many homes, including those of elderly and low income people, do not have high-speed internet connections. Hence the claim that the digital divide is responsible for lower electronic coupon redemption rates is true

Doesn't make sense because we are just repeating the given data
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2018, 23:50
supergprep I understand the logic in question B. However, B mentions 'ordinary coupons'. Now 'ordinary coupons' may be traditional paper based coupons or it may be electronic coupons.

Hence my question is - How can we assume that the ordinary coupons in the answer stem is electronic coupons?
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2018, 00:11
Ordinary coupons in the answer choice refers to the traditional paper coupons. By pointing out that the usage of these paper coupons is higher among those people who do not have the means to access e-coupons, we can strengthen the fact that the digital divide is the reason for higher redemption rates of traditional (ordinary) coupons. If the same people had access to internet or the necessary equipment, the redemption rates might have been equal or reversed.

Note: If you can check for synonyms of traditional, you'll come across words like "run-of-the-mill", "usual", "normal", "ordinary" etc.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: The redemption rate for e-mailed coupons &nbs [#permalink] 30 Oct 2018, 00:11

The redemption rate for e-mailed coupons

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap