It is currently 23 Feb 2018, 06:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The success of the first landing on the moon emboldened some scientist

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

2 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
The success of the first landing on the moon emboldened some scientist [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2015, 14:13
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

57% (01:10) correct 43% (01:19) wrong based on 401 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The success of the first landing on the moon emboldened some scientists to claim that a Mars landing was imminent, vastly underestimating the difficulties entailed in such a feat.

A) The success of the first landing on the moon emboldened some scientists to claim that a Mars landing was imminent, vastly underestimating the difficulties entailed in such a feat.
B) Scientists, in vastly underestimating the difficulties of a Mars landing, were emboldened by the first moon landing to claim that such a feat was imminent.
C) The first moon landing success emboldened some scientists to claim that a Mars landing was imminent, but the difficulties entailed in such a feat were underestimated
D) Vastly underestimating the difficulties entailed in a Mars landing, scientists were emboldened by the moon landing to make such claims.
E) Emboldened by the success of the first moon landing, some scientists claimed that a Mars landing was imminent, vastly underestimating the difficulties such a feat entails.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Simple way to always control time during the quant part.
How to solve main idea questions without full understanding of RC.
660 (Q48, V33) - unpleasant surprise
740 (Q50, V40, IR3) - anti-debrief ;)

Last edited by Vyshak on 03 Dec 2016, 23:55, edited 1 time in total.
Edited the answer choices to match the Source
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
S
Re: The success of the first landing on the moon emboldened some scientist [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2015, 17:20
This post received
KUDOS
I took the test a few day ago and fail on verbal, specifically on sc.

I am obsessed too much with grammar rules and do not focus on meaning.

this question is typical of sc thinking, meaning and logic.

I choose E here because it is most logic.

all other choice are wrong because meaning problem

because my english is enhanced already, I hope to fix verbal score in two month.

I think that the logic of sc and cr can be learn in a few months if the english of the test taker is enhanced alread

there are 2 problems for non native : english proficiency and skill on gmat. the first can be learn in 6 months, the second in 2 months. without the first, I can not learn the second

visit my facebook to help me.
on facebook, my name is: thang thang thang

Manager
Manager
Re: The success of the first landing on the moon emboldened some scientist [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2015, 09:39
can anyone explain what's wrong with option A?
"success of first landing on the moon" is much clearer than "first moon landing". Also, i have read somewhere that on gmat, "of something" is more preferred than " something's" . is it so?
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2015, 10:04
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
grr8pe wrote:
"success of first landing on the moon" is much clearer than "first moon landing". Also, i have read somewhere that on gmat, "of something" is more preferred than " something's" . is it so?

Hello grr8pe

Comma before -ing modifier means that modifier modify the whole clause.
In this sentence clause is
The success of the first landing on the moon emboldened some scientists to claim that a Mars landing was imminent, vastly underestimating the difficulties entailed in such a feat.

So we received meaning: "Success ... emboldened ..., vastly underestimating the difficulties entailed in such a feat."

Intern
Intern
Schools: Kellogg '18
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2015, 13:22
Harley1980 wrote:

A) The success of the first landing on the moon emboldened some scientists to claim that a Mars landing was imminent, vastly underestimating the difficulties entailed in such a feat.
B) Scientists, in vastly underestimating the difficulties of a Mars landing, were emboldened by the first moon landing to claim that such a feat was imminent.
C) The first moon landing success emboldened some scientists to claim that a Mars landing was imminent, a prediction in which the difficulties entailed in such a feat were underestimated.
D) Vastly underestimating the difficulties entailed in a Mars landing, scientists were emboldened by the moon landing to make such claims.
E) Emboldened by the success of the first moon landing, some scientists claimed that a Mars landing was imminent, vastly underestimating the difficulties such a feat entails.

Can someone please explain opt C
Retired Moderator

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2015, 13:34
This post was
BOOKMARKED
snowygari wrote:
Harley1980 wrote:

C) The first moon landing success emboldened some scientists to claim that a Mars landing was imminent, a prediction in which the difficulties entailed in such a feat were underestimated.

Can someone please explain opt C

Hello snowygari

The beginnings of phrase change original meaning: first moon landing success implies that were some moon landings and this was successful, but original meaning was: The success of the first landing: first landing - success.

difficulties underestimated - unneeded passive form

difficulties entailed in such feat I am not sure but think this is not correct or at least awkward form of saying: difficulties such a feat entails.

Intern
Intern
Schools: Kellogg '18
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2015, 16:55
Harley1980 wrote:
grr8pe wrote:

Hello grr8pe

Comma before -ing modifier means that modifier modify the whole clause.
In this sentence clause is

So we received meaning: "Success ... emboldened ..., vastly underestimating the difficulties entailed in such a feat."

opt a - the success of landing on moon emboldened some scientist to claim... thus underestimating the difficulties... modifying everything before..i.e. success, emboldened,claim etc....

opt e - simply says - scientist emboldened by success, claimed .. thus underestimating the difficulties (result of claim)

please check my understanding here :|
3 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 14 Dec 2015, 08:39
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Snowygary

Let us consider two choices A and E.

A) The success of the first landing on the moon emboldened some scientists to claim that a Mars landing was imminent, vastly underestimating the difficulties entailed in such a feat. --- here the previous clause is --- the success of the first landing on the moon emboldened --- and this is modified by—‘vastly underestimating …’ Please ask whether a success can underestimate! You can see why A is logically meaningless.

In E, the previous clause is--- some scientists claimed … --- the modifier modifies the scientists which is the subject of the previous clause and their action claimed --- and does so correctly

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 24 Dec 2015, 07:59
daagh wrote:
Snowygary

A) The success of the first landing on the moon emboldened some scientists to claim that a Mars landing was imminent, vastly underestimating the difficulties entailed in such a feat. --- here the previous clause is --- the success of the first landing on the moon emboldened --- and this is modified by—‘vastly underestimating …’ Please ask whether a success can underestimate! You can see why A is logically meaningless.

In E, the previous clause is--- some scientists claimed … --- the modifier modifies the scientists which is the subject of the previous clause and their action claimed --- and does so correctly

Hi,

Do we consider "Comma + Vastly underestimating" as "Comma + ING" modifier?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Economics
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V33
WE: Sales (Telecommunications)

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2016, 07:32
neeraj609 wrote:
daagh wrote:
Snowygary

Hi,

Do we consider "Comma + Vastly underestimating" as "Comma + ING" modifier?

Hi! Yes this is correct! This modifier modifies the clause preceeding it.

"Are you gangsters?" - "No we are Russians!"

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2016, 01:55
Hi! =)

For (C), is it OK to say ", a prediction ..."?
"The first moon landing success emboldened some scientists to claim that a Mars landing was imminent, a prediction in which the difficulties entailed in such a feat were underestimated.
In this case I believe that "a prediction" is an appositive of "that a Mars landing was imminent," and "which was" is omitted here?
SVP
SVP
P
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2018, 23:57
C is closed but, "The first moon landing success" changes the meaning => C is definitely not the answer.
Re: The success of the first landing on the moon emboldened some scientist   [#permalink] 10 Jan 2018, 23:57

The success of the first landing on the moon emboldened some scientist

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap