Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 13:52 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 13:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 6341 [56]
Given Kudos: 178
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [18]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5652 [8]
Given Kudos: 416
Send PM
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 523 [4]
Given Kudos: 916
Send PM
Re: The success of the first landing on the moon emboldened some scientist [#permalink]
Kudos
I took the test a few day ago and fail on verbal, specifically on sc.

I am obsessed too much with grammar rules and do not focus on meaning.

this question is typical of sc thinking, meaning and logic.

I choose E here because it is most logic.

all other choice are wrong because meaning problem

because my english is enhanced already, I hope to fix verbal score in two month.

I think that the logic of sc and cr can be learn in a few months if the english of the test taker is enhanced alread

there are 2 problems for non native : english proficiency and skill on gmat. the first can be learn in 6 months, the second in 2 months. without the first, I can not learn the second
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [1]
Given Kudos: 724
Send PM
Re: The success of the first landing on the moon emboldened some scientist [#permalink]
Kudos
can anyone explain what's wrong with option A?
"success of first landing on the moon" is much clearer than "first moon landing". Also, i have read somewhere that on gmat, "of something" is more preferred than " something's" . is it so?
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 6341 [5]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
grr8pe wrote:
"success of first landing on the moon" is much clearer than "first moon landing". Also, i have read somewhere that on gmat, "of something" is more preferred than " something's" . is it so?

Hello grr8pe

Comma before -ing modifier means that modifier modify the whole clause.
In this sentence clause is
The success of the first landing on the moon emboldened some scientists to claim that a Mars landing was imminent, vastly underestimating the difficulties entailed in such a feat.

So we received meaning: "Success ... emboldened ..., vastly underestimating the difficulties entailed in such a feat."
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 287
Schools: Kellogg '18
Send PM
Bookmarks
Harley1980 wrote:
The success of the first landing on the moon emboldened some scientists to claim that a Mars landing was imminent, vastly underestimating the difficulties entailed in such a feat.

A) The success of the first landing on the moon emboldened some scientists to claim that a Mars landing was imminent, vastly underestimating the difficulties entailed in such a feat.
B) Scientists, in vastly underestimating the difficulties of a Mars landing, were emboldened by the first moon landing to claim that such a feat was imminent.
C) The first moon landing success emboldened some scientists to claim that a Mars landing was imminent, a prediction in which the difficulties entailed in such a feat were underestimated.
D) Vastly underestimating the difficulties entailed in a Mars landing, scientists were emboldened by the moon landing to make such claims.
E) Emboldened by the success of the first moon landing, some scientists claimed that a Mars landing was imminent, vastly underestimating the difficulties such a feat entails.

Can someone please explain opt C
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 6341 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
snowygari wrote:
Harley1980 wrote:

A) The success of the first landing on the moon emboldened some scientists to claim that a Mars landing was imminent, vastly underestimating the difficulties entailed in such a feat.
B) Scientists, in vastly underestimating the difficulties of a Mars landing, were emboldened by the first moon landing to claim that such a feat was imminent.
C) The first moon landing success emboldened some scientists to claim that a Mars landing was imminent, a prediction in which the difficulties entailed in such a feat were underestimated.
D) Vastly underestimating the difficulties entailed in a Mars landing, scientists were emboldened by the moon landing to make such claims.
E) Emboldened by the success of the first moon landing, some scientists claimed that a Mars landing was imminent, vastly underestimating the difficulties such a feat entails.

Can someone please explain opt C

Hello snowygari

The beginnings of phrase change original meaning: first moon landing success implies that were some moon landings and this was successful, but original meaning was: The success of the first landing: first landing - success.

difficulties underestimated - unneeded passive form

difficulties entailed in such feat I am not sure but think this is not correct or at least awkward form of saying: difficulties such a feat entails.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [2]
Given Kudos: 287
Schools: Kellogg '18
Send PM
Bookmarks
Harley1980 wrote:
grr8pe wrote:

Hello grr8pe

Comma before -ing modifier means that modifier modify the whole clause.
In this sentence clause is

So we received meaning: "Success ... emboldened ..., vastly underestimating the difficulties entailed in such a feat."

opt a - the success of landing on moon emboldened some scientist to claim... thus underestimating the difficulties... modifying everything before..i.e. success, emboldened,claim etc....

opt e - simply says - scientist emboldened by success, claimed .. thus underestimating the difficulties (result of claim)

please check my understanding here :|
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
daagh wrote:
Snowygary

Let us consider two choices A and E.

A) The success of the first landing on the moon emboldened some scientists to claim that a Mars landing was imminent, vastly underestimating the difficulties entailed in such a feat. --- here the previous clause is --- the success of the first landing on the moon emboldened --- and this is modified by—‘vastly underestimating …’ Please ask whether a success can underestimate! You can see why A is logically meaningless.

In E, the previous clause is--- some scientists claimed … --- the modifier modifies the scientists which is the subject of the previous clause and their action claimed --- and does so correctly

Hi,

Do we consider "Comma + Vastly underestimating" as "Comma + ING" modifier?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 300 [0]
Given Kudos: 353
Concentration: General Management, Economics
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V33
WE:Sales (Telecommunications)
Send PM
neeraj609 wrote:
daagh wrote:
Snowygary

Let us consider two choices A and E.

A) The success of the first landing on the moon emboldened some scientists to claim that a Mars landing was imminent, vastly underestimating the difficulties entailed in such a feat. --- here the previous clause is --- the success of the first landing on the moon emboldened --- and this is modified by—‘vastly underestimating …’ Please ask whether a success can underestimate! You can see why A is logically meaningless.

In E, the previous clause is--- some scientists claimed … --- the modifier modifies the scientists which is the subject of the previous clause and their action claimed --- and does so correctly

Hi,

Do we consider "Comma + Vastly underestimating" as "Comma + ING" modifier?

Hi! Yes this is correct! This modifier modifies the clause preceeding it.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Hi! =)

For (C), is it OK to say ", a prediction ..."?
"The first moon landing success emboldened some scientists to claim that a Mars landing was imminent, a prediction in which the difficulties entailed in such a feat were underestimated.
In this case I believe that "a prediction" is an appositive of "that a Mars landing was imminent," and "which was" is omitted here?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1779 [0]
Given Kudos: 2562
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
C is closed but, "The first moon landing success" changes the meaning => C is definitely not the answer.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [1]
Given Kudos: 87
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
GPA: 4
Send PM
The success of the first landing on the moon emboldened some scientist [#permalink]
Kudos
Hello egmat , daagh

I remember coming across an example from e-gmat module:

Mary's father wants her to become a doctor, making a difference in people's lives

Here the modifier entity(making a difference in people's lives) and modified entity ("to become") have a common doer("Mary")

On similar lines in option A

modifier entity: underestimating the difficulties
modified entity: to become
doer: scientists

Still can't understand why A is wrong. Please help!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 307 [0]
Given Kudos: 273
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 630 Q44 V33
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V37
GMAT 3: 710 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.25
WE:Marketing (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Prateek176 wrote:
Hello egmat , daagh

I remember coming across an example from e-gmat module:

Mary's father wants her to become a doctor, making a difference in people's lives

Here the modifier entity(making a difference in people's lives) and modified entity ("to become") have a common doer("Mary")

On similar lines in option A

modifier entity: underestimating the difficulties
modified entity: to become
doer: scientists

Still can't understand why A is wrong. Please help!!

You won't belive, but I had the same thing in mind, cuz I remeber this case during my egmat course. Left with A and E, I chose E because it stresses "sientists" as a main doer of the action. Here scientists are "less passive". GMAT has tendency to like active voice over passive one.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Send PM
thangvietname hit the nail on its head. I think searching for the right meaning and the right splits effectively halves the time to search for mistakes. In this question, I was stuck between 2 choices but the meaning gave me the right solution. It is absolutely critical to be thinking about the meaning along with grammatical errors.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V33
Send PM
The success of the first landing on the moon emboldened some scientist [#permalink]
Hi,

I have a doubt over here. Should not the comma + ING-Modifier should be modifying the most immediate clause? In the correct answer E, we have :

Emboldened by the success of the first moon landing, some scientists claimed that a Mars landing was imminent, vastly underestimating the difficulties such a feat entails.

In the above case, the clause in the Bold should get modified, which is non-nonsensical in this case.

Hi mikemcgarry, AjiteshArun, egmat

Could you please clarify this doubt
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4654 [0]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Expert Reply
abhishekmayank wrote:
Hi,

I have a doubt over here. Should not the comma + ING-Modifier should be modifying the most immediate clause? In the correct answer E, we have :

Emboldened by the success of the first moon landing, some scientists claimed that a Mars landing was imminent, vastly underestimating the difficulties such a feat entails.

In the above case, the clause in the Bold should get modified, which is non-nonsensical in this case.

Hi mikemcgarry, AjiteshArun, egmat

Could you please clarify this doubt
Hi abhishekmayank,

The , -ing structure doesn't have to refer to the closest clause. It can, but it doesn't have to.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 183 [0]
Given Kudos: 309
Send PM
Harley1980 wrote:
The success of the first landing on the moon emboldened some scientists to claim that a Mars landing was imminent, vastly underestimating the difficulties entailed in such a feat..

emboldened should be closely linked with scucess as this was the reason for ubderestimating the difficulties of the Mars landing hence out

The comma after Scientists was unnecessary it makes the sentence akward and distorts the meaning

C) The first moon landing success emboldened some scientists to claim that a Mars landing was imminent, but the difficulties entailed in such a feat were underestimated
The comma before but isn't necessary since these are deppendent clauses they shouldn't be seperated with comma

This isn't the intended meaning this tell us that the difficulties of the Mars mission embolded the scientist which is infact false

E) Emboldened by the success of the first moon landing, some scientists claimed that a Mars landing was imminent, vastly underestimating the difficulties such a feat entails
This is the intende meaning and the only option left so this should be the requisite answer
Therefore IMO E
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts