GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Jul 2018, 12:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The table above shows the number of packages shipped daily by each of

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
8 KUDOS received
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 47037
The table above shows the number of packages shipped daily by each of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jun 2016, 05:16
8
22
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  25% (medium)

Question Stats:

75% (01:09) correct 25% (01:16) wrong based on 1042 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Image
The table above shows the number of packages shipped daily by each of the five companies during a 4-day period. The standard deviation of the numbers of packages shipped daily during the period was greatest for which of the five companies?

A) A
B) B
C) C
D) D
E) E

Attachment:
2016-06-17_1615.png
2016-06-17_1615.png [ 26.43 KiB | Viewed 11099 times ]

_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Most Helpful Expert Reply
Expert Post
4 KUDOS received
Target Test Prep Representative
User avatar
G
Status: Founder & CEO
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Joined: 14 Oct 2015
Posts: 2924
Location: United States (CA)
Re: The table above shows the number of packages shipped daily by each of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2016, 18:20
4
3
Bunuel wrote:
Image
The table above shows the number of packages shipped daily by each of the five companies during a 4-day period. The standard deviation of the numbers of packages shipped daily during the period was greatest for which of the five companies?

A) A
B) B
C) C
D) D
E) E


We are given the number of packages shipped by 5 companies. Let’s list those below:

Company A: 45 ,55, 50, 50

Company B: 10, 30, 30, 10

Company C: 34, 28, 28, 30

Company D: 39, 42, 41, 38

Company E: 50, 60, 60, 70

We may recall the the standard deviation represents how far the data points are from the mean. It’s not necessary to calculate the standard deviations of any of the data sets. Let’s “eyeball” the list instead. We see that the data points of Companies B and E are most spread apart. Thus, the largest standard deviation will come from either Company B or Company E.

Let’s calculate the mean (arithmetic average) for Company B and E.

Mean of Company B = (10 + 30 + 30 + 10)/4 = 80/4 = 20

For Company B, we see that the distances of the data points are 10, 10, 10, and 10, respectively, from the mean. (Note that we don’t care about the + or - signs of those distances.)

Mean of Company E = (50 + 60 + 60 + 70)/4 = 240/4 = 60

We see that the distances of the data points are 10, 0, 0, and 10, respectively, from the mean.

Thus, company B has a greater standard deviation than company E and hence the greatest standard deviation of the 5 companies.

Answer: B
_________________

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO

GMAT Quant Self-Study Course
500+ lessons 3000+ practice problems 800+ HD solutions

Most Helpful Community Reply
9 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 19 Dec 2015
Posts: 112
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.8
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: The table above shows the number of packages shipped daily by each of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jun 2016, 14:03
9
7
Company A : 45, 50, 50, 55. Mean = 50. Distance of each element from the mean = 5, 0, 0 , 5.
Company B : 10, 10, 30, 30. Mean = 20. Distance of each element from the mean = 10, 10, 10, 10
Company C : 28, 28, 30, 34. Mean = 30. Distance of each element from the mean = 2, 2, 2, 2
Company D : 38, 39, 41, 42. Mean = 40. Distance of each element from the mean = 2, 1, 1, 2
Company E : 50, 60, 60, 70. Mean = 60. Distance of each element from the mean = 10, 0, 0, 10.

From the data above, we can clearly see that the elements in B are most widely spread. And thus has the highest standard deviation. Hence B.
General Discussion
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
User avatar
B
Joined: 27 Mar 2016
Posts: 345
Location: United States (CO)
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 3.69
WE: Analyst (Consulting)
Re: The table above shows the number of packages shipped daily by each of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2016, 02:38
1
The numbers in A, C, D are close.

B vs E:

For E, two of the deviations are zero
For B, all deviations are 10

So B is the clear choice.
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 08 Jun 2017
Posts: 64
The table above shows the number of packages shipped daily by each of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2017, 22:26
Is nt there something like The highest std in a set will be something with the highest range. In that case isnt E the answer ? I know the Std will anyway be less in E . But how come this theory is contradicting. Bunuel i used the same logic that u had given for ur statistics qns in ur signature. Kindly explain. !!!











Please reply!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
User avatar
G
Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Posts: 4667
Re: The table above shows the number of packages shipped daily by each of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2017, 13:39
Asac123 wrote:
Is nt there something like The highest std in a set will be something with the highest range. In that case isnt E the answer ? I know the Std will anyway be less in E . But how come this theory is contradicting. Bunuel i used the same logic that u had given for ur statistics qns in ur signature. Kindly explain. !!!

Dear Asac123,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

Please read this post:
Standard Deviation on the GMAT
Give particular attention to the section "Rough and ready facts about standard deviation."

For this question, (B) & (E) both have a range of 20, a larger range than the others, so let's eliminate the other three and discuss these two.

Standard deviation is, we might say, a measure of the "typical" distance between the data points in a set and the mean of the set.

In (E), the mean is 60. Two of the data points are at 60, so they have a deviation of zero, and two are 10 away from 60, so they have deviations of +10 and -10. The set of deviations is {-10, 0, 0, 10}. Ignoring positive/negative, what's the typical size of those four numbers? Hard to say. It would be something between 0 and 10.

Now, look at (B). The mean is 20, and every single data point is exactly a distance of 10 from this mean of 20. If every data point is the same distance from the mean, that distance has to be the S.D. For (B), S.D. = 10.

Since the S.D. of (B) is equal to 10 and the S.D. of (E) would be less than 10, we know that (B) has to have the biggest.

Suppose we want the exact value of the S.D. of (E). This is more than you need to know for the GMAT, but what you would do is square those deviations, add them up, average those squared values, and then take a square root of that average.
list of deviations = {-10, 0, 0, 10}
list of squared deviations = {100, 0, 0, 100}
average of squared deviations = 50
\(S.D. = \sigma = \sqrt{50} = 5\sqrt{2} = 7.071\)

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
_________________

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Image

Image

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 08 Jun 2017
Posts: 64
Re: The table above shows the number of packages shipped daily by each of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2017, 20:10
mikemcgarry wrote:
Asac123 wrote:
Is nt there something like The highest std in a set will be something with the highest range. In that case isnt E the answer ? I know the Std will anyway be less in E . But how come this theory is contradicting. Bunuel i used the same logic that u had given for ur statistics qns in ur signature. Kindly explain. !!!

Dear Asac123,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

Please read this post:
Standard Deviation on the GMAT
Give particular attention to the section "Rough and ready facts about standard deviation."

For this question, (B) & (E) both have a range of 20, a larger range than the others, so let's eliminate the other three and discuss these two.

Standard deviation is, we might say, a measure of the "typical" distance between the data points in a set and the mean of the set.

In (E), the mean is 60. Two of the data points are at 60, so they have a deviation of zero, and two are 10 away from 60, so they have deviations of +10 and -10. The set of deviations is {-10, 0, 0, 10}. Ignoring positive/negative, what's the typical size of those four numbers? Hard to say. It would be something between 0 and 10.

Now, look at (B). The mean is 20, and every single data point is exactly a distance of 10 from this mean of 20. If every data point is the same distance from the mean, that distance has to be the S.D. For (B), S.D. = 10.

Since the S.D. of (B) is equal to 10 and the S.D. of (E) would be less than 10, we know that (B) has to have the biggest.

Suppose we want the exact value of the S.D. of (E). This is more than you need to know for the GMAT, but what you would do is square those deviations, add them up, average those squared values, and then take a square root of that average.
list of deviations = {-10, 0, 0, 10}
list of squared deviations = {100, 0, 0, 100}
average of squared deviations = 50
\(S.D. = \sigma = \sqrt{50} = 5\sqrt{2} = 7.071\)

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)


Thanks Mike i understand that but if we take the range concept then wouldnt E be the answer
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 02 Jan 2017
Posts: 81
Location: Pakistan
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V34
GPA: 3.41
WE: Business Development (Accounting)
Reviews Badge
Re: The table above shows the number of packages shipped daily by each of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Dec 2017, 04:15
You don't need to calculate or solve this one, observe with logic you will be able to eliminate most of the choices.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 11 Sep 2013
Posts: 5
Schools: CBS '19
Re: The table above shows the number of packages shipped daily by each of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2018, 23:47
In order to answer this question, one has to know the concept of Standard Deviation (SD).
Standard Deviation (SD) is a statistical concept that measures the amount of variation or dispersion of a set of data points.
In other words, SD measures the distance between the MEAN (AVERAGE) of a given set and each and every DATA POINT in a given set. (MEAN - DATA POINT)
Simply, SD tells you how far or how close is the MEAN (AVERAGE) of a given set from each and every DATA POINT in a given set.
SD is moody and it can be HIGH :grin: or it can be LOW :(.
SD is High when the MEAN is far away from each and every DATA POINT in a given set.
SD is Low when the MEAN is close to each and every DATA POINT in a given set.

The question asks for the GREATEST (HIGHEST :grin: ) SD for the number of packages shipped daily at five different companies.
The first step is to find the MEAN for each and every company and then find the highest SD by subtracting the MEAN with each and every DATA POINT
As you can see from the table the figures are "very friendly" and if you are experienced you can do mental math here.

Company A:
DATA POINTS: 45 55 50 50
MEAN: 50
SD: 5 5 0 0

Company B:
DATA POINTS: 10 30 30 10
MEAN: 20
SD: 10 10 10 10

Company C:
DATA POINT: 34 28 28 30
MEAN: 30
SD 4 2 2 0

Company D:
DATA POINTS: 39 42 41 38
MEAN: 40
SD: 1 2 1 2

Company E:
DATA POINTS: 50 60 60 70
MEAN: 60
SD 10 0 0 10

As you can see SD at company B is the highest for each and every DATA POINT (10 10 10 10). Hence, the correct answer is B.
Re: The table above shows the number of packages shipped daily by each of   [#permalink] 04 Jul 2018, 23:47
Display posts from previous: Sort by

The table above shows the number of packages shipped daily by each of

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.