Last visit was: 26 Jul 2024, 20:23 It is currently 26 Jul 2024, 20:23
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 505-555 Level,   Strengthen,                     
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8998 [84]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 66909 [10]
Given Kudos: 436
Send PM
BSchool Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 99 [6]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
General Discussion
Own Kudos [?]: 2007 [3]
Given Kudos: 200
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM
Re: The use of growth-promoting antibiotics in hog farming can weaken [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
The use of growth-promoting antibiotics in hog farming can weaken their effectiveness in treating humans because such use can spread resistance to those antibiotics among microorganisms. But now the Smee company, one of the largest pork marketers, may stop buying pork raised on feed containing these antibiotics. Smee has 60 percent of the pork market, and farmers who sell to Smee would certainly stop using the antibiotics in order to avoid jeopardizing their sales. So if Smee makes this change, it will probably significantly slow the decline in antibiotics' effectiveness for humans.

Which of the following, if true, would most strengthen the argument above?

A. Other major pork marketers will probably stop buying pork raised on feed containing growth-promoting antibiotics if Smee no longer buys such pork. -Sounds good. If competitors follow Smee, the usage of antibiotics will be definitely reduced.
B. The decline in hog growth due to discontinuation of antibiotics can be offset by improved hygiene. - We are not interested in the population of hog and its control.
C. Authorities are promoting the use of antibiotics to which microorganisms have not yet developed resistance. - This will weaken the argument because it gives us an alternative
D. A phase-out of use of antibiotics for hogs in one country reduced usage by over 50 percent over five years - This doesn't tell in any way that how smee will have an impact on the usage of antibiotics.
E. If Smee stops buying pork raised with antibiotics, the firm's cost will probably increase. -We are definitely not bothered about the cost/profit of Smee.

Answer => A
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 90 [2]
Given Kudos: 589
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.3
WE:Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: The use of growth-promoting antibiotics in hog farming can weaken [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
PP777 wrote:
The use of growth-promoting antibiotics in hog farming can weaken their effectiveness in treating humans because such use can spread resistance to those antibiotics among microorganisms. But now the Smee Company, one of the largest pork marketers, may stop buying pork raised on feed containing these antibiotics. Smee has 60 percent of the pork market, and farmers who sell to Smee would certainly stop using antibiotics in order to avoid jeopardizing their sales. So if Smee makes this change, it will probably significantly slow the declinein antibiotics’ effectiveness for humans.

A. Other major pork marketers will probably stop buying pork raised on feed containing growth-promoting antibiotics if Smee no longer buys such pork.
B. The decline in hog growth due to discontinuation of antibiotics can be offset by improved hygiene.
C. Authorities are promoting the use of antibiotics to which microorganisms have not yet developed resistance.
D. A phaseout of use of antibiotics for hogs in one country reduced usage by over 50 percent over five years.
E. If Smee stops buying pork raised with antibiotics, the firm’s costs will probably increase.

A. Other major pork marketers will probably stop buying pork raised on feed containing growth-promoting antibiotics if Smee no longer buys such pork. - If more marketers stop buying pork, seeing Smee's change, a very significant portion of marketers would stop buying the pork raised on feed with antibiotics, thereby reducing the benefits of using more antibiotics in feed. Therefore, the decline in effectiveness of antibiotics on humans will reduce (according to 1st sentence)
B. The decline in hog growth due to discontinuation of antibiotics can be offset by improved hygiene.Improved hygiene is Out of Scope here because we are not concerned with hygiene, but with effectiveness of antibiotics on humans.
C. Authorities are promoting the use of antibiotics to which microorganisms have not yet developed resistance.Irrelevant because we are talking about pork feeding on growth-promoting antibiotics, not about any other antibiotics.
D. A phaseout of use of antibiotics for hogs in one country reduced usage by over 50 percent over five years.Irrelevant
E. If Smee stops buying pork raised with antibiotics, the firm’s costs will probably increase.Certainly not a strengthener, but a weakener. If Smee's costs would increase, it would reduce the cost by buying more pork raised with Antibiotics and thus, the effectiveness of antibiotics would decline sharply if Smee keeps buying the pork raised with antibiotics.

Answer - A.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5697 [5]
Given Kudos: 416
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Premise:
1. use of antibiotics in hog farming can weaken their effectiveness in treating humans.
2. smee is largest pork marketers, may stop buying pork raised on feed containing these antibiotics.
3. farmers who sell to Smee would certainly stop using antibiotics in order to avoid jeopardizing their sales.
4. smee has 60 % of market.

conclusion: So if Smee makes this change, it will probably significantly slow the decline in antibiotics’ effectiveness for humans.

Pre-thinking : if smee has 60% of market, which means 40% of the market is acquired by other marketers. if these 40% kept selling antibiotics pork then conclusion could not be achieved. Mind that this is a kind of pattern GMAT uses to make such kind of problems. Many problems are of this same framework. If something such as this need to stop, make sure others also not doing it.

A. Other major pork marketers will probably stop buying pork raised on feed containing growth-promoting antibiotics if Smee no longer buys such pork. --- on the same lines as pre-thinking.
B. The decline in hog growth due to discontinuation of antibiotics can be offset by improved hygiene. --- even if this is not less growth will be observed. but this is not evaluate the strategy question. if that then probably this one would be a contender.
C. Authorities are promoting the use of antibiotics to which microorganisms have not yet developed resistance. ---- out of scope.
D. A phaseout of use of antibiotics for hogs in one country reduced usage by over 50 percent over five years. --- irrelevant.
E. If Smee stops buying pork raised with antibiotics, the firm’s costs will probably increase. --- this is not out concern.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 71
Send PM
Kudos
Straight A.
Premise: The use of antibiotics in hog farming can weaken their effectiveness in treating humans.
Premise: Smee company may stop buying pork raised on feed containing these antibiotics.
Conclusion: if Smee makes this change, it will probably slow the decline in antibiotics' effectiveness for humans.
Assumption: the use of other pork company won't increase significantly

A fills the gap here, if other major marketers will stop buying pork raised on feed containing antibiotics as Smee do, the overall use of antibiotics will decrease, hence it will slow the decline in antibiotics effectiveness for humans
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Kudos
The use of growth-promoting antibiotics in hog farming can weaken their effectiveness in treating humans because such use can spread resistance to those antibiotics among microorganisms. But now the Smee company, one of the largest pork marketers, may stop buying pork raised on feed containing these antibiotics. Smee has 60 percent of the pork market, and farmers who sell to Smee would certainly stop using the antibiotics in order to avoid jeopardizing their sales. So if Smee makes this change, it will probably significantly slow the decline in antibiotics' effectiveness for humans.

if smee stop buying antibiotic feeded pork -> effectiveness of antibiotic will increase in human
given a)use of ab is creating resistance against micro-org b)smee largest port marketer ( 60% market cap) c) farmers will stop using ab

pre-thnk:
something that will strengthen the link plan->increase in effectiveness

(A) Other major pork marketers will probably stop buying pork raised on feed containing growth-promoting antibiotics if Smee no longer buys such pork.
40% market dont sell, overal consumption will decrease. it is touching the plan and effectiveness

(B) The decline in hog growth due to discontinuation of antibiotics can be offset by improved hygiene.
out of scope discussion

(C) Authorities are promoting the use of antibiotics to which microorganisms have not yet developed resistance.
not touching the link

(D) A phase-out of use of antibiotics for hogs in one country reduced usage by over 50 percent over five years.
might look relevant, but doesnot say whther it will happen because of plan by smee?

(E) If Smee stops buying pork raised with antibiotics, the firm's cost will probably increase.
not sure, if cost will hamper the decision to buy
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [2]
Given Kudos: 94
Send PM
Kudos