Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 19:31 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 19:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Poor Qualityx      
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 337 [0]
Given Kudos: 144
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GPA: 4
WE:Engineering (Telecommunications)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [6]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63658 [6]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: There is generally agreement that feral swine are unwelcome such as [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
We had a few questions about this one in today's verbal chat, and... unfortunately, this particular question has a bunch of issues. As is often the case, daagh has the right idea: the parallelism and logic don't quite work right, and the punctuation doesn't really make any sense, either. To be honest, I don't think that any of the answer choices are really defensible.

So please don't lose sleep over this one!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [0]
Given Kudos: 48
Concentration: General Management, Operations
Schools: IIMC (A)
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GPA: 3.5
WE:Engineering (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Re: There is generally agreement that feral swine are unwelcome such as [#permalink]
pqhai wrote:
ankurgupta03 wrote:
emmak wrote:
There is generally agreement that feral swine are unwelcome – such as the Asian carp that are threatening to invade Lake Michigan, but that are far larger, more vicious and mounted on four legs.
A)such as the Asian carp that are threatening to invade Lake Michigan, but that are far larger, more vicious and mounted on four legs
B)like the Asian carp that have threatened an invasion of Lake Michigan, but far larger, more vicious, and mounted on four legs
C)like the Asian carp that are threatening to invade Lake Michigan, but are far larger, more vicious, and are mounted on four legs
D)like the Asian carp that are threatening to invade Lake Michigan, but far larger, more vicious, and mounted on four legs
E)such as the Asian carp that threaten to invade Lake Michigan, but are far larger and more vicious, and mounted on four legs

Asian carp is shown as an example here, so why not use such as?
some one please explain

First, "such as" vs "like".
The intended meaning is the FACT "feral swine are unwelcome" is like the FACT "Asian carp are unwelcome in Lake Michigan".
Clearly, Asian carp is not an example of feral swine.
In addition, "such as" refers examples of the same category. For example: I love eating Asian fish such as catfish and Asian carp.
So, A and E are out.

Second, Present perfect VS simple present/progressive.
B is wrong because present perfect tense is wrongly used. Because we want to mention two similar facts ==> simple present / progressive is correct
C is also wrong because the usage of "are" is redundant. For example: She is tall and is smart ==> the second "is" is not necessary and should be eliminated.

D is correct, the structure is "X are unwelcome BUT far larger......:
"feral swine are unwelcome but far larger, more vicious and mounted on four legs"

Hope it helps.

Very good explanation for the difference between like and such as. Also, the explanation for redundancy of "are" is very good. Thanks :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
GMAT 2: 720 Q48 V41
Send PM
emmak wrote:
There is generally agreement that feral swine are unwelcome – such as the Asian carp that are threatening to invade Lake Michigan, but that are far larger, more vicious and mounted on four legs.
A)such as the Asian carp that are threatening to invade Lake Michigan, but that are far larger, more vicious and mounted on four legs
B)like the Asian carp that have threatened an invasion of Lake Michigan, but far larger, more vicious, and mounted on four legs
C)like the Asian carp that are threatening to invade Lake Michigan, but are far larger, more vicious, and are mounted on four legs
D)like the Asian carp that are threatening to invade Lake Michigan, but far larger, more vicious, and mounted on four legs
E)such as the Asian carp that threaten to invade Lake Michigan, but are far larger and more vicious, and mounted on four legs

A)such as the Asian carp that are threatening to invade Lake Michigan, but that are far larger, more vicious and mounted on four legs - "such as" is wrong
B)like the Asian carp that have threatened an invasion of Lake Michigan, but far larger, more vicious, and mounted on four legs - "threatened an invasion of" is wrong, makes it seem like the Asian carp are making a threat.
C)like the Asian carp that are threatening to invade Lake Michigan, but are far larger, more vicious, and are mounted on four legs - "are far larger" and "are mounted" is too wordy IMO. Don't know if there's anything grammatically wrong though.
D)like the Asian carp that are threatening to invade Lake Michigan, but far larger, more vicious, and mounted on four legs - correct
E)such as the Asian carp that threaten to invade Lake Michigan, but are far larger and more vicious, and mounted on four legs - "such as is wrong"
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: NA
Own Kudos [?]: 114 [0]
Given Kudos: 59
GMAT 1: 590 Q50 V21
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 3: 730 Q51 V37
Send PM
sayantanc2k wrote:
razelle wrote:
Please explain how to get to the correct answer for the below question:
There is generally agreement that feral swine are unwelcome ??? such as the Asian carp that are threatening to invade Lake Michigan, but that are far larger, more vicious and mounted on four legs.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

"Asian carp" is not an example of "feral swine". Hence A and E can be eliminated ("such as" is used to introduce examples). It is meant that "Asian carp" is similar to "feral swine". Hence "like" is correct. B, C and D remain.

Comma + conjunction is used to introduce a clause - therefore ", but" must have been followed by a subject and a verb ("that are", not just "are"). Hence C can be eliminated. B and D remain.

The past perfect "have threatened" is wrong. The "threatening" is not an action that has been completed in the past, but whose effect is stil there. Henec B is wrong. D remains.

Hi sayantanc2k,
Please clarify how can option D be correct if it lacks SV after 'comma + but' . Is this usage can be correct in GMAT ?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Please clarify how can option D be correct if it lacks SV after 'comma + but' . Is this usage can be correct in GMAT ?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63658 [2]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Mridul1993 wrote:

You don't necessarily need to have a full independent clause (subject + verb) after a comma + "but". I can think of at least a couple of situations in which the comma + "but" isn't followed by a full independent clause. Both situations involve parallelism:

• There are many species of rodent that are incredibly cute, but also incredibly vicious when threatened.
  • Many invasive species of fish are not only damaging to local ecosystems, but also unappealing to commercial and recreational fishermen.

In both cases, we could argue that the commas aren't strictly necessary, but they aren't wrong, either. And the comma + "but" isn't followed by a full clause in either case.

But please see my previous comment above -- I think this particular SC question has some serious flaws, so I wouldn't recommend spending your valuable time on it. :)

And welcome to GMAT Club, Mridul1993!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 118 [0]
Given Kudos: 167
Schools: Yale '18
GMAT 1: 650 Q43 V37
GRE 1: Q157 V158
GPA: 2.66
Send PM
emmak wrote:

So the subtle trap with this question- well it's kind of obvious- but the sentence is not denoting the Asian carp as an example of feral swine...it's rather making a comparison between the two which justifies the use of "like."

D is the most concise answer choice.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 240
Schools: LBS SMU '19 (A)
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V33
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
sayantanc2k wrote:
Ayush Mishra wrote:
hii,
Although going through all post ,I understood structure of the sentence but still I am unable to get the meaning of the sentence .Pls help

The meaning is as follows:

The following is generally agreed:
Feral swine are unwelcome because they are similar to Asian carp that are threatening to invade lake Michigan. However the difference between those Asian carp and Feral swine are as follows:
Feral swine are larger and more vicious, and they have 4 legs.

Compare with the following simpler construction:
I am like my brother, but more intelligent and less healthy.

Hii Sayantanc,
You just told that Comma+Conjunction must be followed by Subject+ Verb then in the correct option Fereal swine is understood after the ,but.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 93
Send PM
Hi All,

Agreed. Option D may be correct, but can 'like' be followed by a clause?
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5425 [1]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
raunakme19 wrote:
Hi All,

Agreed. Option D may be correct, but can 'like' be followed by a clause?

Hey raunakme19 ,

No, there is a strict rule of "like". It can never be followed by a clause. It has to be followed by a noun or a noun + noun modifier and MUST also be used only for comparison.

Now, you may ask what's happening in D then.

In option D, we have the Noun + Noun Modifier construction.

Noun - Asian Carp

Noun Modifier - that are threatening to invade Lake Michigan.

Does that make sense?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Schools: XLRI (A)
GPA: 2.83
Send PM
vad3tha wrote:
emmak wrote:

D looks good, but I don't know why C is wrong. I read all explanation, but no one can make it clear.

I also selected C, but what I feel wrong about C is:

When we are introducing "are", we are forcing a parallel structure to the sentence......and unfortunately, not maintaining the parallelism throughout the structure.....

C)like the Asian carp that are threatening to invade Lake Michigan, but are far larger, more vicious, and are mounted on four legs.......

Not only awkward in meaning but also awkward parallelism (-ing, -er and -ed) ........

May be my reasoning is wrong, but this is what I could make out....
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 255 [0]
Given Kudos: 121
Send PM
AjiteshArun,

Here the use of Like is correct because Asian carp is not an example of feral swine .
Let's say I am unaware of the meaning of the similar jargon .
How do I distinguish between Like and such as ? Any tactics?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [1]
Given Kudos: 629
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
akash7gupta11 wrote:
Here the use of Like is correct because Asian carp is not an example of feral swine .
Let's say I am unaware of the meaning of the similar jargon .
How do I distinguish between Like and such as ? Any tactics?
I think we could remove the like options and focus on choosing between the remaining such as options if we really had no other way to take a call there. However, that is clearly not the ideal way to approach a like/such as question. :)

One quick point though: the GMAT may not be as strict about not using like to introduce examples these days. So, if you see an option using like to introduce examples, don't remove that option immediately, especially if there are no such as options.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 148
GMAT 1: 600 Q47 V27
GRE 1: Q160 V150
GPA: 2.7
Send PM
How to deal with question where I don't understand the meaning,

I understand the usage of such as and like. but I have no clue about "Asian carp" and "feral swine". These two are comparables
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 418 [0]
Given Kudos: 596
Concentration: Operations, Technology
Send PM
generis

How to go ahead with this one?? I am lost . Please help.
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35486 [0]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Expert Reply
warrior1991 wrote:
generis

How to go ahead with this one?? I am lost . Please help.

warrior1991 - I am not surprised that you are lost.

Please see daagh's comments HERE

And GMATNinja 's post HERE.
In another post he wrote, "But please see my previous comment above -- I think this particular SC question has some serious flaws, so I wouldn't recommend spending your valuable time on it." :)

I agree with GMATNinja. I do not think that any of the answer choices are defensible.
I will tag the question.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 102 [0]
Given Kudos: 477
Send PM
VeritasKarishma

if option C didn't have parallelism issue, and stated ",but are far more larger, are more vicious, and are mounted on four legs", would it be correct then?
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts