It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 05:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

There is generally agreement that feral swine are unwelcome - such as

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

25 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1144 [25], given: 17

There is generally agreement that feral swine are unwelcome - such as [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2013, 01:27
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

33% (01:14) correct 67% (01:16) wrong based on 2229 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

There is generally agreement that feral swine are unwelcome – such as the Asian carp that are threatening to invade Lake Michigan, but that are far larger, more vicious and mounted on four legs.

(A) such as the Asian carp that are threatening to invade Lake Michigan, but that are far larger, more vicious and mounted on four legs

(B) like the Asian carp that have threatened an invasion of Lake Michigan, but far larger, more vicious, and mounted on four legs

(C) like the Asian carp that are threatening to invade Lake Michigan, but are far larger, more vicious, and are mounted on four legs

(D) like the Asian carp that are threatening to invade Lake Michigan, but far larger, more vicious, and mounted on four legs

(E) such as the Asian carp that threaten to invade Lake Michigan, but are far larger and more vicious, and mounted on four legs
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Kudos will encourage many others, like me.
Good Questions also deserve few KUDOS.

Last edited by hazelnut on 07 Oct 2017, 19:49, edited 1 time in total.
Edited the question.

Kudos [?]: 1144 [25], given: 17

BSchool Forum Moderator
B

Kudos [?]: 1309 [0], given: 819

Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.35
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: There is generally agreement that feral swine are unwelcome - such as [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2013, 11:00
emmak wrote:
There is generally agreement that feral swine are unwelcome – such as the Asian carp that are threatening to invade Lake Michigan, but that are far larger, more vicious and mounted on four legs.
A)such as the Asian carp that are threatening to invade Lake Michigan, but that are far larger, more vicious and mounted on four legs
B)like the Asian carp that have threatened an invasion of Lake Michigan, but far larger, more vicious, and mounted on four legs
C)like the Asian carp that are threatening to invade Lake Michigan, but are far larger, more vicious, and are mounted on four legs
D)like the Asian carp that are threatening to invade Lake Michigan, but far larger, more vicious, and mounted on four legs
E)such as the Asian carp that threaten to invade Lake Michigan, but are far larger and more vicious, and mounted on four legs

Asian carp is shown as an example here, so why not use such as?
some one please explain

ISB Preparation Kit | GMAT Debrief

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Kudos [?]: 1309 [0], given: 819

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 89 [2], given: 67

Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 2.9
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Re: There is generally agreement that feral swine are unwelcome - such as [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2013, 12:36
This post received
KUDOS
I chose option D.

One can eliminate options B & E because they use the wrong form of 'threaten' which needs to be in the present tense in accordance with the given sentence "there is general agreement..."

Between A, C & D - Option D is the most concise & simple form that also happens to be correct grammatically. Option A is clearly wrong because of its usage of " , but that are far larger ..." because it intereferes with the parallelism. I felt C & D were close but D did the job in fewer words!

Hope it helps.

Regards,
Vishnu

Article --> http://www.topmba.com/blog/could-mba-degree-be-way-forward

Kudos [?]: 89 [2], given: 67

37 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 3480 [37], given: 123

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2013, 15:39
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
ankurgupta03 wrote:
emmak wrote:
A)such as the Asian carp that are threatening to invade Lake Michigan, but that are far larger, more vicious and mounted on four legs
B)like the Asian carp that have threatened an invasion of Lake Michigan, but far larger, more vicious, and mounted on four legs
C)like the Asian carp that are threatening to invade Lake Michigan, but are far larger, more vicious, and are mounted on four legs
D)like the Asian carp that are threatening to invade Lake Michigan, but far larger, more vicious, and mounted on four legs
E)such as the Asian carp that threaten to invade Lake Michigan, but are far larger and more vicious, and mounted on four legs

Asian carp is shown as an example here, so why not use such as?
some one please explain

First, "such as" vs "like".
The intended meaning is the FACT "feral swine are unwelcome" is like the FACT "Asian carp are unwelcome in Lake Michigan".
Clearly, Asian carp is not an example of feral swine.
In addition, "such as" refers examples of the same category. For example: I love eating Asian fish such as catfish and Asian carp.
So, A and E are out.

Second, Present perfect VS simple present/progressive.
B is wrong because present perfect tense is wrongly used. Because we want to mention two similar facts ==> simple present / progressive is correct
C is also wrong because the usage of "are" is redundant. For example: She is tall and is smart ==> the second "is" is not necessary and should be eliminated.

D is correct, the structure is "X are unwelcome BUT far larger......:
"feral swine are unwelcome but far larger, more vicious and mounted on four legs"

Hope it helps.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMW Chief of Design.

Kudos [?]: 3480 [37], given: 123

5 KUDOS received
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 2329 [5], given: 219

Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2013, 16:02
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
pqhai wrote:
First, "such as" vs "like".
The intended meaning is the FACT "feral swine are unwelcome" is like the FACT "Asian carp are unwelcome in Lake Michigan".
Clearly, Asian carp is not an example of feral swine.
In addition, "such as" refers examples of the same category. For example: I love eating Asian fish such as catfish and Asian carp.
So, A and E are out.

Second, Present perfect VS simple present/progressive.
B is wrong because present perfect tense is wrongly used. Because we want to mention two similar facts ==> simple present / progressive is correct
C is also wrong because the usage of "are" is redundant. For example: She is tall and is smart ==> the second "is" is not necessary and should be eliminated.

D is correct, the structure is "X are unwelcome BUT far larger......:
"feral swine are unwelcome but far larger, more vicious and mounted on four legs"

Hope it helps.

I second ankurgupta03, I do not like this question at all.

I just wanna point out a thing that is not correct from your explanation:
the sentence : "She is tall and is smart" is perfectly correct and there is no better choice between that one and "She is tall and smart ".

This is a parallelism problem: generally speaking the parallel structure has some "signal words" that tell you where the parallel structure begins and ends.
"Both _X_ and _Y_" in this case the X and Y part MUST be parallel, because they are contained between the signal-words "both/and".

In your example there is no "starting" point for the parallelism. What I mean is that to identify a proper parallel structure you start from the "signal"-and-, look to the right
She is tall and is smart
and ask your self: is that part matched in the previous part? Yes, by "is tall"- same structure.

Also "She is tall and smart" is correct as smart is matched by tall.
Since here the parallelism has no predefined starting point, both are correct.

If your sentence were "She is both tall and smart", only this option would be correct because "both" tells you that the parallel structure begins from the adj tall, which is matched by the adj smart.

Hope it's clear

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

Kudos [?]: 2329 [5], given: 219

3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 81 [3], given: 40

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V44
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.1
WE: Sales (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2013, 03:12
This post received
KUDOS
you have to know that a carp is not a type of swine (pig) in order to rule out "such as"

D. is the best option.

Kudos [?]: 81 [3], given: 40

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 30 [1], given: 52

WE: Project Management (Telecommunications)

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2013, 01:11
This post received
KUDOS
It is clear that this is a comparison, not a list of examples - discard A and E.

threatened an invasion - awkward :) B is discarded

C has "are" but no subject for it, discarded as well.

D is the only option left

Kudos [?]: 30 [1], given: 52

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 14 Dec 2013, 11:12
use such as when you have more than one example to list otherwise use like for nouns and as for clauses

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 401

Concentration: Finance, General Management
Schools: EMLYON FT'16
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V32
GPA: 3.44

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2014, 16:19
For non-native speaker, this one is really hard. First, what is carp? and second: is it a swine?
In order to kick out such as or like, you are quite stuck...

nevertheless, I have a question here:

Why chose D over C? because for me C has a better comparison: Zombies are funny but ARE dead

Can somone explain here plz?

Thanks

Think outside the box

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 401

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 3

Show Tags

New post 07 Jan 2014, 00:47
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Paris75 wrote:
For non-native speaker, this one is really hard. First, what is carp? and second: is it a swine?
In order to kick out such as or like, you are quite stuck...

nevertheless, I have a question here:

Why chose D over C? because for me C has a better comparison: Zombies are funny but ARE dead

Can somone explain here plz?

Thanks

Out of C and D, I chose D as I felt C lacked parallelism.

like the Asian carp that are threatening to invade Lake Michigan, but are far larger, are more vicious, and are mounted on four legs
Hope my analysis is correct.
Please correct me if I am wrong.

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 3

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 37

Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GPA: 3.62
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2014, 19:25
like can be used to compare two nouns. Here such as cannot be used as this sentence does not introduce any example. It is comparing feral swines with Asian carp.

"are" is used before threatening - and then later a "but" is used so we can the "are" as common to all the parallels

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 37

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 174 [0], given: 148

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2014, 21:07
emmak wrote:

D looks good, but I don't know why C is wrong. I read all explanation, but no one can make it clear.

+1 Kudos please, if you like my post

Kudos [?]: 174 [0], given: 148

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 375

GMAT Date: 12-03-2014
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 13 Jan 2015, 11:14
I feel C lacks ||ism

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 375

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2015, 02:11
I think C is the correct option, because but introduces contrast between asian carp and feral swine if there is no "are" then it looks like but modifies the invasion.

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 545 [0], given: 1474

Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 640 Q40 V37
GMAT 2: 650 Q43 V36
GMAT 3: 600 Q47 V27
GPA: 3.3
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 13 Sep 2015, 00:40
OA:

D. Because this structure is drawing a comparison and not giving an example (feral pigs are not Asian carp...but they're similar to Asian carp in this respect), the structure "like" must be used, eliminating A and E. Choice B is illogical - the Asian carp have not announced plans to attack, so you cannot say they "have threatened". And choice C breaks parallel structure for the list at the end, using "are" on terms 1 and 3 but leaving it off of 2. Only choice D is free of these errors, so choice D is correct.

KUDO me plenty

Kudos [?]: 545 [0], given: 1474

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 48

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2015, 05:30
vishnuns39620 wrote:
I chose option D.

One can eliminate options B & E because they use the wrong form of 'threaten' which needs to be in the present tense in accordance with the given sentence "there is general agreement..."

Between A, C & D - Option D is the most concise & simple form that also happens to be correct grammatically. Option A is clearly wrong because of its usage of " , but that are far larger ..." because it intereferes with the parallelism. I felt C & D were close but D did the job in fewer words!

Hope it helps.

Actually, the problem with C, is that it use 'are' twice.

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 48

Intern
Intern
B

GMAT 1: 600 Q49 V23
GPA: 3.5
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2017, 00:46
hii,
Although going through all post ,I understood structure of the sentence but still I am unable to get the meaning of the sentence .Pls help

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 08 Feb 2017, 11:26
Please explain how to get to the correct answer for the below question:
There is generally agreement that feral swine are unwelcome ??? such as the Asian carp that are threatening to invade Lake Michigan, but that are far larger, more vicious and mounted on four legs.

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3311 [0], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2017, 06:56
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
razelle wrote:
Please explain how to get to the correct answer for the below question:
There is generally agreement that feral swine are unwelcome ??? such as the Asian carp that are threatening to invade Lake Michigan, but that are far larger, more vicious and mounted on four legs.

"Asian carp" is not an example of "feral swine". Hence A and E can be eliminated ("such as" is used to introduce examples). It is meant that "Asian carp" is similar to "feral swine". Hence "like" is correct. B, C and D remain.

Comma + conjunction is used to introduce a clause - therefore ", but" must have been followed by a subject and a verb ("that are", not just "are"). Hence C can be eliminated. B and D remain.

The past perfect "have threatened" is wrong. The "threatening" is not an action that has been completed in the past, but whose effect is stil there. Henec B is wrong. D remains.

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2017, 07:04
Ayush Mishra wrote:
hii,
Although going through all post ,I understood structure of the sentence but still I am unable to get the meaning of the sentence .Pls help

The meaning is as follows:

The following is generally agreed:
Feral swine are unwelcome because they are similar to Asian carp that are threatening to invade lake Michigan. However the difference between those Asian carp and Feral swine are as follows:
Feral swine are larger and more vicious, and they have 4 legs.

Compare with the following simpler construction:
I am like my brother, but more intelligent and less healthy.

Re: There is generally agreement that feral swine are unwelcome - such as   [#permalink] 09 Feb 2017, 07:04

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 30 posts ] 

There is generally agreement that feral swine are unwelcome - such as

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap