GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Aug 2018, 13:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Tips for studying at work?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V40
GRE 1: Q156 V159
GPA: 3.7
WE: Real Estate (Real Estate)
Reviews Badge
Tips for studying at work?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2018, 13:56
Hi guys,

I have a very demmanding job and I haven´t been able to study as I expected. Mainly because I´m too tired to study at night or arriving to the office very early. But I found that I had some free time during the day. I was thinking on taking advantage of these holes on my schedule and study for the Examn.

Have you tried? Any tips?

Thanks
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Tips for studying at work?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2018, 16:20
In the same boat..demanding work and family. I block 11 -12.30 and 4 - 5.30. This allows to get work activities packed with in other work hours (7-11 & 1-4). Need to stay disciplined; it works for the most part. Get at least 1.5 - 2.5 hrs of study time. Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using GMAT Club Forum
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Finance

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2018, 22:40
I faced the same issue. I laid out a study plan which I intended to stick to, but unfortunately my job can be more demanding on some of the days of the week than the others. Initially I used to keep the pdf on my phone open with a notepad and a pen, and whenever I get free time (even 5-10 mins) I solve quant problems and SC, the reason I don't do RC/CR is because they require at least 5-10 mins of uninterrupted focus which is practically very difficult to find. Another thing I realised was that I get home totally worn out, so instead of beating myself to death after work I chose to do some light work like AWA or MBA admission Essays or just simply do some outside reading to improve my general English (I'm non-native), and work on serious topics early in the morning - I wake up at 4:00 AM and study till 7:00 AM, and on the weekends I study as much as I can. Just remember that how much time we spend studying/practicing is less important than what we learn out of those exercises. Good luck.
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GPA: 3.5
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 15 Feb 2018, 09:46
Any tips with respect of telling your boss and come cold turkey about your aspirations of doing an MBA?

"The stock market is filled with individuals who know the price of everything, but the value of nothing." - Philip Fisher

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 15 Feb 2018, 10:31
Quote:
Any tips with respect of telling your boss and come cold turkey about your aspirations of doing an MBA?

Yeah...don't.

If you get caught like I did, you're considering doing a part-time or EMBA.
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 15 Feb 2018, 13:25
jsheppa wrote:
Quote:

Yeah...don't.

Oh man...

The thing is that where I work they can sponsor you, but since I'm new, I don't know when to tell them... at the time I got accepted or well before.

"The stock market is filled with individuals who know the price of everything, but the value of nothing." - Philip Fisher

Originally posted by MarkHanna on 15 Feb 2018, 10:42.
Last edited by MarkHanna on 15 Feb 2018, 13:25, edited 3 times in total.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 15 Feb 2018, 10:48
Quote:
jsheppa wrote:
Quote:

Yeah...don't.

Oh man...

The thing is that where I work they can sponsor you, but since I'm new, I don't know when to tell them... at the time I got accepted or well before.

I would wait until you get accepted and then talk to HR before your manager.

I don't care how "good" of a manager you have. An MBA will detract from work and they will be suspicious of you aiming for a different position post-MBA. It is their job to maintain status quo, and you telling them you are going to pursue the MBA will rock the boat.

Stay the course, get your GMAT done / applications lined up, and tell HR when you have something of substance to tell them.
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 15 Feb 2018, 11:34
jsheppa wrote:
Quote:
jsheppa wrote:

Yeah...don't.

Oh man...

I would wait until you get accepted and then talk to HR before your manager.

I don't care how "good" of a manager you have. An MBA will detract from work and they will be suspicious of you aiming for a different position post-MBA. It is their job to maintain status quo, and you telling them you are going to pursue the MBA will rock the boat.

Stay the course, get your GMAT done / applications lined up, and tell HR when you have something of substance to tell them.

Thanks for the advice!

I'm usually studying before work at the office (when no one is around), but I'm worried of getting caught one day at night in a meeting room (I study with my laptop and a notebook). Like, what excuse could I say? (I work long hours so is not unusual being at the office at that time, but still). Preparing for something else? Changing environments because is quieter? I'm clueless.

I say this because I don't have so much free time. If I have a rough week (staying at 11-12am), I will usually go to bed and won't study in the morning, because I will be exhausted... so my plan is to study during office hours and usually when most of the teams are gone but not mine, for example.

I would love some input or advice guys.

Thanks.

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Technology, Finance
GMAT Date: 06-01-2012
GRE 1: Q780 V500
GPA: 3.44

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2018, 02:29
I usually study after work ( Staying late at work). I dont have a problem with my manager as I explained him my long term goals and How gmat would help me out. Its no different than taking Online courses in your field. My commute is long (1 hour) and I feel tired after coming home, so I try to study at work for 90 minutes and then try to study for another 30 minutes when I get back.
V
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2018, 11:48
rarce wrote:
Hi guys,

I have a very demmanding job and I haven´t been able to study as I expected. Mainly because I´m too tired to study at night or arriving to the office very early. But I found that I had some free time during the day. I was thinking on taking advantage of these holes on my schedule and study for the Examn.

Have you tried? Any tips?

Thanks

Hi All,

Most of us target to study for 2 hours per day. But those 2 hours needs to be solid study. Still when it is tough to get two things going toether then we need to balance out things.

Try the followings:

1. Decide which one is better - Work for 9-12 hectic office hours and then study for 2 hours or do the vice versa? i think latter is better. "Give GMAT the best time of a day".

2. Revising is much more important than studying the new stuff every time. So utilize the time in office to revise the notes/error logs/flash cards. It is better to keep them all online. Use Smart phone with bigger screen.

3. As READING is much needed for RC - Read the Articles on your laptop or desktop. None would find out why are you reading a particular article.

4. While Travelling for long hours, again revise the stuff/do Reading. If looking at phone and screen has pained your eyes, you may keep the things recorded which you
want to memorize. It can be anything random: an idiom or formula or even a mistake that you make again and again.

Conclusion: Study for solid 1 or 2 hours everyday when you're not tired or sleepy. In other times do the REVISION.

So that you do not burnout with a lot of information in your head, Do a little meditation. All you need to do is - "Sit silently with eyes close for sometime" That's it!
Study might be less but needs to solid. ABOVE everything - HEALTH comes first!

Hope it helps :)

---------------------------------------------------------------
Target - 720-740
http://gmatclub.com/forum/information-on-new-gmat-esr-report-beta-221111.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/list-of-one-year-full-time-mba-programs-222103.html

Re: Tips for studying at work? &nbs [#permalink] 23 Feb 2018, 11:48

Tips for studying at work?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT
HOT DEALS FOR AUGUST
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
Math Revolution - $99/3 mo Free 1-month trial + Diagnostic Test
Target Test Prep - Save $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
examPAL Full GMAT video course - Save 10%
EMPOWERgmat - $85/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month GMAT Prep Exams 3, 4, 5 & 6
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap