GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Oct 2019, 15:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

To determine whether there are deposits of frozen water on the moon

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
To determine whether there are deposits of frozen water on the moon  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 19 May 2019, 03:21
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

48% (01:02) correct 52% (01:01) wrong based on 301 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

To determine whether there are deposits of frozen water on the moon, research scientists at NASA launched two unmanned satellites that orbited the moon's atmosphere, analyzing radar echoes from the lunar surface.

(A) analyzing
(B) as an analysis technique of
(C) to the analysis of
(D) to analyze
(E) a technique for analyzing

Originally posted by Darth_McDaddy on 09 Jul 2005, 10:32.
Last edited by Bunuel on 19 May 2019, 03:21, edited 3 times in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
Most Helpful Community Reply
Senior RC Moderator
V
GPA: 3.39
Re: To determine whether there are deposits of frozen water on the moon  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2019, 02:54
Official Explanation
Difficulty Level: 650

Answer: A

Explanation

You should use analyzing at the beginning of the phrase, because that’s what the satellites did. Because NASA launched two satellites, it’s incorrect to refer to them as a technique; eliminate B and E. C is incorrect because to the analysis is not idiomatic. And you can cross off D because to analyze is not complete. It would have been better if the sentence had said used to analyze

Hope it Helps
Re: To determine whether there are deposits of frozen water on the moon  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2005, 19:01
In order for parallelism to work you have to have "equal" elements. When i say "equal" i mean a "list" of nouns or verbs or "noun clauses", etc - you get the idea.

Here in this construct, when the sentence is "parsed",

To determine, whether there are deposits of frozen water on the moon, research scientists at NASA launched two unmanned satellites that orbited the moon's atmosphere, to analyze radar echoes from the lunar surface.

If "parallelism" were to work correctly, the construct in red would have to be equal [in terms of grammatical construction and "level" of hierarchy when you sentence diagram, etc. Also remember there isnt a conjuction in between the 2 seemingly parallel constructs ] to the construct in green

The "," after the atmosphere was a give way that "to determine" and "to analyze" arent parallel.

I'm curious what is the source of this question. I dont think there should be a "," after "to determine".

For more details on absolute phrases check the following link out:

http://webster.commnet.edu/grammar/phrases.htm#absolute
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2005, 04:27
I thank all of you for participating. The Answer is A. The source of this question is the Princeton Verbal Workout book

The OE is as follows:

You should use analyzing at the beginning of the phrase, because thats what the satellite did. Because NASA launched two satellites, it's incorrect to refer to them as a technique;eliminate B and E. C is incorrect because "to the analysis" is unidiomatic. And you can cross of D because to analyze is not complete. It would have been better if they had said used to analyze

Thank you very much gmataquaguy, you helped me clear my parallelism concepts.

I thought this fell under the parallelism of gerunds.
This example is straight from my notes

Gerunds go with gerunds, and infinitives go with infinitives. Don’t mix gerunds and infinitives.
Wrong: Skiing is as strenuous as to rappel down a cliff.
Right: To sky is as strenuous as to rappel down a cliff

That is why, I thought "to determine" is parallel to "to analyze".

Thanks
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2013, 03:13
Darth_McDaddy wrote:
I thank all of you for participating. The Answer is A. The source of this question is the Princeton Verbal Workout book

The OE is as follows:

You should use analyzing at the beginning of the phrase, because thats what the satellite did. Because NASA launched two satellites, it's incorrect to refer to them as a technique;eliminate B and E. C is incorrect because "to the analysis" is unidiomatic. And you can cross of D because to analyze is not complete. It would have been better if they had said used to analyze

Thank you very much gmataquaguy, you helped me clear my parallelism concepts.

I thought this fell under the parallelism of gerunds.
This example is straight from my notes

Gerunds go with gerunds, and infinitives go with infinitives. Don’t mix gerunds and infinitives.
Wrong: Skiing is as strenuous as to rappel down a cliff.
Right: To sky is as strenuous as to rappel down a cliff

That is why, I thought "to determine" is parallel to "to analyze".

Thanks

Can you please explain why to analyze "is not complete".....!!

Analyzing seems reasonable....but on what basis we opt out to analyze.
Retired Moderator

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2013, 15:39
AJ8348 wrote:
Can you please explain why to analyze "is not complete".....!!

Analyzing seems reasonable....but on what basis we opt out to analyze.

Hi AJ8348.

D is wrong for sure. Let me give you another example
The computer system was upgraded TO AVOID stealing information.

You think this sentence is correct or not? It's definitely wrong.When you see infinitive, let examine the subject. Make sure the main subject and the infinitive are sensible. Can the computer system avoid stealing info by itself? Not, It cannot. So, we can change the sentence like:

The computer system was upgraded TO KEEP IT from stealing information.

The problem in D is the same. Can two unmanned satellites analyze radar echoes? No, they cannot do so by themselves. D should be changed like: To be used for analyzing.......

Does it help?. Let me know.

Regards.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMW Chief of Design.
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2019, 01:41
I went for A because the modifier refers to satellites.

But I think E is fine also. Does anyone have a clear explanation on why E is wrong?
Retired Moderator
V
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2019, 05:52
gzsakuraz wrote:
I went for A because the modifier refers to satellites.

But I think E is fine also. Does anyone have a clear explanation on why E is wrong?

satellites orbited. how did they orbit? this how is explained by "the comma+analyzing" modifier. so A is correct.
E - what does 'technique" refer to? orbiting? launching? this choice is wrong because of no clear referant for this modifier.
B
Schools: ISB '21, Rotman '21
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GPA: 3.29

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2019, 10:55
Hi,

the Verb+ing modifier should modify the subject of the preceding clause. So in this case, isn't 'analyzing' modifying ' research scientists at NASA '? This will alter the intended meaning.
Am I missing anything here?
Retired Moderator
V
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2019, 13:21
daspri2809 wrote:
Hi,

the Verb+ing modifier should modify the subject of the preceding clause. So in this case, isn't 'analyzing' modifying ' research scientists at NASA '? This will alter the intended meaning.
Am I missing anything here?

Satellites orbited is the previous clause and analyzing refers to subject satellites and analyzing explains how satellites orbited.

Posted from my mobile device
Re: To determine whether there are deposits of frozen water on the moon   [#permalink] 10 Apr 2019, 13:21

To determine whether there are deposits of frozen water on the moon

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics