It is currently 12 Dec 2017, 14:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

To map Earth's interior, geologists use a network of seismometers to

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 33 [1], given: 70

GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
Re: To map Earth's interior, geologists use a network of seismometers to [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2016, 03:20
This post received
KUDOS
I was stuck b/w C and E.

In C, I thought that there is ambiguity on who is travelling => the waves or geologists. So, I thought that was wrong.
Can someone explain why is this right then.

Kudos [?]: 33 [1], given: 70

Expert Post
9 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3631 [9], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: To map Earth's interior, geologists use a network of seismometers to [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2016, 06:59
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
rukna wrote:
I was stuck b/w C and E.

In C, I thought that there is ambiguity on who is travelling => the waves or geologists. So, I thought that was wrong.

A present participle modifier refers to the subject of the preceding clause or the entire preceding clause.

In this case the clause " that originate in the earth's crust and ricochet around its interior" is the preceding clause, and hence the present participle modifier "traveling most rapidly...." refers to the subject "that" of the previous clause; the pronoun "that" here is used to replace "waves".

Consider that the entire present participle modifier "traveling most rapidly...." is nested within the relative clause "that originate in the earth's crust and ricochet around its.......through hotter rocks."

You are right in thinking that there could be a bit of ambiguity since the present participle clause "travelling...." could refer to "Geologists", if one considers that it is outside the relative clause "that originate in the earth's crust and ricochet around its.......through hotter rocks." However in that case we would have to choose E as the correct answer, which has a more severe problem as follows:

E is wrong because two clauses are joined just with "and" not with comma + "and".

Wrong: I play and I sing
Right: I play, and I sing
Right: I play and sing.

Similarly,
Wrong: that originate and ricochet and that travel
Right: that originate and ricochet, and that travel
Right: that originate, ricochet and travel

Moreover option E does not depict the bearing between ricocheting and travelling and considers them as two different activities.

Kudos [?]: 3631 [9], given: 22

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 70

GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38

Show Tags

New post 04 May 2016, 03:35
sayantanc2k wrote:
rukna wrote:
I was stuck b/w C and E.

A present participle modifier refers to the subject of the preceding clause or the entire preceding clause.

In this case the clause " that originate in the earth's crust and ricochet around its interior" is the preceding clause, and hence the present participle modifier "traveling most rapidly...." refers to the subject "that" of the previous clause; the pronoun "that" here is used to replace "waves".

Consider that the entire present participle modifier "traveling most rapidly...." is nested within the relative clause "that originate in the earth's crust and ricochet around its.......through hotter rocks."

You are right in thinking that there could be a bit of ambiguity since the present participle clause "travelling...." could refer to "Geologists", if one considers that it is outside the relative clause "that originate in the earth's crust and ricochet around its.......through hotter rocks." However in that case we would have to choose E as the correct answer, which has a more severe problem as follows:

E is wrong because two clauses are joined just with "and" not with comma + "and".

Similarly,

Moreover option E does not depict the bearing between ricocheting and travelling and considers them as two different activities.

Thanks, that was useful.
I never considered comma as main decision point until now. Will note this point.

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 70

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3631 [1], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 05 May 2016, 07:02
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
rukna wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
rukna wrote:
I was stuck b/w C and E.

Similarly,

Thanks, that was useful.
I never considered comma as main decision point until now. Will note this point.

Nonetheless, in a real GMAT question I have never come across an answer being eliminated ONLY because of punctuation issues.

Kudos [?]: 3631 [1], given: 22

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 56

Concentration: General Management, Economics
GMAT 1: 630 Q42 V34
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 05 May 2016, 08:22
To map Earth's interior, geologists use a network of seismometers to chart seismic waves that originate in the earth's crust and ricochet around its interior, most rapidly traveling through cold, dense regions and slower through hotter rocks.

A. interior, most rapidly traveling through cold, dense regions and slower : what is most rapidly travelling thru cold? not sure move on!
B. interior, which travel most rapidly through cold, dense regions, and more slowly : interior travel? weird!
C. interior, traveling most rapidly through cold, dense regions and more slowly : travelling modifies richocheting and it says "seismeic waves richocheting by travelling through bla bla...." seems correct!
{remember two functions of ",ing" modifier 1. describe the action and should hold logical with the subject performing the same action (use "by" as shown in above example) 2. cause and effect. }
D. interior and most rapidly travel through cold, dense regions, and slower : and is wrongly used. read the sentence and youll know how it sounds. (and and and.....) no proper parallelism!
E. interior and that travel most rapidly through cold, dense regions and slower : now this "and"puts two things in parallel ..seismic waves that originate and seismic waves that travel most rapidly ...seems correct

between C and E
richocheting means something moving like a bullet ( here richochet is used as a verb) thus intended meaning is to describe that richocheting ..even if intended meaning is not clear go for other split that is C : most rapidly.. and slowly...
E : most rapidly.. and slower .
so C is describing the richocheting (verb) using "slowly" (adverb) correctly but "slower" is comparative form (adjective)
ans : C

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 56

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 8

Show Tags

New post 27 May 2016, 09:06
kevinyuan136 wrote:
Hi, can someone explain why does "[C] traveling most rapidly through cold, dense regions and more slowly through hotter rocks" not cause confusion? I think "traveling ..." could also be interpreted as a modifier of the subject "geologists."

For example: Geologists use a network to chart X waves that originate in the earth's crust, hoping to understand X waves in more detail.

Thanks.

The present participle modifier is not modifying the geologists.
I will try to break the sentence for better understanding.

To map Earth's interior,
geologists use a network of seismometers to chart seismic waves
that
originate in the earth's crust
and ricochet around its interior, traveling most rapidly through cold, dense regions and more slowly through hotter rocks.

Here that is a relative pronoun modifier which refers to Seismic waves(SW).
therefore if we substitute that with Seismic waves, we get
Seismic waves originate in earth's crust and ricochet around its interior, traveling most rapidly through cold, dense regions and more slowly through hotter rocks.
So here the verb+ing modifier is modifying Seismic waves ricochet around earth's interior as
Seismic waves ricochet around earth's interior, traveling most rapidly through cold, dense regions and more slowly through hotter rocks.

So the verb+ing modifier is not modifying the geologists here. There is presence of another S-V pair which is followed by verb+ing modifier.
For the modifier to modify the first clause, it should be placed next to that clause.

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 8

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 7

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2016, 00:21
Hi, is "slower" only used as an ajective or can it also be used as an adverb ? (I came across this issue on the following question) Thanks a lot ! :-D

To map Earth’s interior, geologists use a network of seismometers to chart seismic
waves that originate in the earth’s crust and ricochet around its interior, most
rapidly traveling through cold, dense regions and slower through hotter rocks.
(A) interior, most rapidly traveling through cold, dense regions and slower
(B) interior, which travel most rapidly through cold, dense regions, and
more slowly
(C) interior, traveling most rapidly through cold, dense regions and more
slowly
(D) interior and most rapidly travel through cold, dense regions, and slower
(E) interior and that travel most rapidly through cold, dense regions and
slower

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 7

Expert Post
Director
Director
G
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach

Kudos [?]: 207 [0], given: 77

Farrell D Hehn: MBA

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2016, 00:31
jbyx78 wrote:
Hi, is "slower" only used as an ajective or can it also be used as an adverb ? (I came across this issue on the following question) Thanks a lot ! :-D

To map Earth’s interior, geologists use a network of seismometers to chart seismic
waves that originate in the earth’s crust and ricochet around its interior, most
more slowly
slowly
slower

Keep in mind we need to compare like terms. In each answer, it says, "rapidly." So because there's a comparison, we need "slowly." Elim all but B & C.
C is correct because it's saying [subject] travelling most rapidly...and [implied subject] [implied verb] more slowly. I teach my clients that a common subject is like a fork, and the verbs are like the prongs. If there is a common subject we need verbs and other things to be parallel.

Farrell Dyan
http://MBAPrepCoach.com
http://PoetsandQuants.com/Consultants/Farrell-Dyan
"You don't often come across people so perceptive and empathetic." - EM, NYC

Kudos [?]: 207 [0], given: 77

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 204

Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2016, 03:22
jbyx78

Please format the question properly and follow the forum rules while posting.

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 204

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 342

Concentration: Finance, Marketing
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2016, 01:34
To map Earth's interior, geologists use a network of seismometers to chart seismic waves that originate in the earth's crust and ricochet around its interior, most rapidly traveling through cold. dense regions and slower through hotter rocks.

A. interior, most rapidly traveling through cold, dense regions and slower
B. interior, which travel most rapidly through cold, dense regions, and more slowly
C. interior, traveling most rapidly through cold, dense regions and more slowly
D. interior and most rapidly travel through cold, dense regions, and slower
E. interior and that travel most rapidly through cold, dense regions and slower

I thought C is wrong because "travelling" refers to "seismic waves" but Verb-ing refers to subject of "Previous action" - so in this case subject of " originate in the earth's crust and ricochet around its interior" - Seismic Waves.

We need " More rapidly" -- "more slowly" so A, D & E is wrong.
In B- which is referring to "interior". Nonsensical.

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 342

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 14

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 13 Oct 2016, 04:25
- rapidly and slower are not parallel. Verb-ing is not common to both adjectives
(B) interior, which travel most rapidly through cold, dense regions, and more slowly
– changes meaning, which now modifies the interior of earth crust instead of waves as intended in the original statement
(C) interior, traveling most rapidly through cold, dense regions and more slowly
- correct
– changes meaning and parallelism structure of rapidly and slower, awkward
(E) interior and that travel most rapidly through cold, dense regions and slower
– waves should be they, not that. And should be preceded by comma (Independent Clause). Rapidly and slower are not parallel

Thanks

Once you know the answer, it is easy to justify.

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 14

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 66

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2016, 05:25
To map Earth's interior, geologists use a network of seismometers to chart seismic waves that originate in the earth's crust and ricochet around its interior,

Now Fit in all options to check the continuity after seismic waves

(A) interior, most rapidly traveling through cold, dense regions and slower - makes no sense

(B) interior, which travel most rapidly through cold, dense regions, and more slowly - which is for interior , so wrong

(C) interior, traveling most rapidly through cold, dense regions and more slowly - Correct

(D) interior and most rapidly travel through cold, dense regions, and slower - and makes no connection to main clause

(E) interior and that travel most rapidly through cold, dense regions and slower - and makes no connection to main clause

Cheers,
Shri
-------------------------------
GMAT is not an Exam... it is a war .. Let's Conquer !!!

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 66

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 74

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2017, 01:55
Hi,

We can eliminate by observing that rapidly and slowly should be used instead of rapidly and slower.

A. interior, most rapidly traveling through cold, dense regions and slower --
B. interior, which travel most rapidly through cold, dense regions, and more slowly

Now we are left out with options A and C. Again " , which " is not very clear explaining so we can eliminate that also.

IMO by POE option C is correct.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 74

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 906

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 620 Q50 V24
GRE 1: 314 Q167 V147

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2017, 20:59
Hi expert,
I would like ask for your thought about option B.
In my 2 cents,"which" could rightly modifies seismic waves.What's wrong is that we now have two modifiers back-to-back--"that originate...," and "which travel most ...".

Is my reasoning correct?
Also,if we want to modifies the same thing,do we always have to use the same relative pronoun--either both "that" or both "which"?

Thanks

Expert Post
Manhattan Prep Instructor
S

Kudos [?]: 1261 [0], given: 30

Show Tags

New post 30 Jan 2017, 00:01
Normally we wouldn't stack two noun modifiers together like that, regardless of whether "which" or "that" is used. In this case, since the first modifier ends in a noun ("interior"), the second modifier ends up incorrectly modifying that noun. That's one of the main reasons we're not going to do well stacking modifiers.

In theory, you could have two modifiers, one essential (using that) and the other non-essential (using which):

The book that I wrote, which comes out this summer, describes my experiences in Iran.

Note that in this case, the first modifier ends in a verb, not a noun, so there's no confusion about what the second noun is modifying.

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Kudos [?]: 1261 [0], given: 30

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 35

Concentration: Leadership, Technology
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.39

Show Tags

New post 30 Jan 2017, 09:19
The logical structure of the sentence is:

...geologists use a network of seismometers to A [chart seismic waves] that B [originate in the earth's crust] and C [ricochet around its interior]. The waves travel most rapidly through cold and dense regions and slowly through hotter rocks.

A) This option is wrong because "slower" must be parallel to "rapidly" and thus should take the form "slowly".

B) "which" makes an illogical reference to "interior".

D) The structure "cold, dense regions, and slower" makes slower a part of a wrong list.
"waves that originate...and most rapidly travel" does not form parallel structure.

E) This option is wrong because "slower" must be parallel to "rapidly" and thus should take the form "slowly".

Thus, option C.

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 35

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 99

GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V35
WE: Consulting (Non-Profit and Government)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 12 Feb 2017, 06:17
sayantanc2k wrote:
rukna wrote:
I was stuck b/w C and E.

Similarly,

I am confused between C and E.

I do understand that E can be eliminated as slower is not parallel to most rapidly.

However, OG mentions this for eliminating E. "Adding a relative clause "and that travel most rapidly through cold, dense regions and slower..." makes the sentence wordy and awkward.

What is a relative clause? How is this awkward and wordy!?

Is E not following this formula :Geologists use a network of seismometers to chart seismic waves that originate in .....interior and that travel most rapidly ...through hotter rocks.

--> to chart seismic waves that verb A and that verb B.....

Granted that the two independent clauses should be separated by a comma. ( seismic waves that verb A, and that verb B)

GMAT chronicles : 670-->660--> 700--> 650--> 680-->660--> 610-->700 (main exam)-->710--740-->700 (main exam again) -->Target 740+

Never never never never NEVER give up!!

I can and I will- watch me.

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 99

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 238

GPA: 3.56
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2017, 17:53
To map Earth's interior, geologists use a network of seismometers to chart seismic waves that originate in the earth's crust and ricochet around its interior, most rapidly traveling through cold. dense regions and slower through hotter rocks.

A. interior, most rapidly traveling through cold, dense regions and slower

Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one - Bruce Lee

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 238

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 4

Concentration: Human Resources, Technology
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2017, 03:16
This post was
BOOKMARKED
How does one identify those clauses and how can i say in this below sentence clause given is restrictive or non-restrictive

more slowly
slowly
slower

Army Brat

Last edited by broall on 21 May 2017, 06:29, edited 1 time in total.
Merged topic. Please search before posting question.

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 4

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

GMAT 1: 620 Q50 V24
GRE 1: 314 Q167 V147

Show Tags

New post 21 May 2017, 05:17
rahulkiller321 wrote:
How does one identify those clauses and how can i say in this below sentence clause given is restrictive or non-restrictive

more slowly
slowly
slower

(A),(D) and (E) are gone."Travel most rapidly..." must be parallel with [travel] more slowly
(B) is incorrect. The placement of "WHICH" doesn't make any sense-- earth's interior can't move !?

Re: To map Earth's interior, geologists use a network of seismometers to   [#permalink] 21 May 2017, 05:17

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3    Next  [ 44 posts ] 

To map Earth's interior, geologists use a network of seismometers to

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap