GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 May 2019, 05:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Took GMAT at 24 , need advice.

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: ISB '19 (D)
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V41
GPA: 3.55
Took GMAT at 24 , need advice.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 27 Jul 2017, 01:50
Hi, my name is Chirag, I am an Engineer from India. I just took GMAT a few days back and scored 750 (98 percentile) with Q51 (96 percentile) and V41(94 percentile)

Background :

I am a 24 years old Male
Completed my bachelors from IIT(The best University for Engineering in India) with a CGPA of 8.59/10 (Indian grading system)
I am presently working at Oracle as a Software Developer since the past 14 months.

Career Aspiration : To work as a Product Manager in a top IT Company.

I am aiming for universities like INSEAD, HEC or one of the top 30 universities in US (if I get a scholarship)

Please evaluate my profile and let me know what my next steps should be. Also kindly tell me what my chances for a Scholarship at the above mentioned universities are.

Thanks in advance. :)

Originally posted by chiragmishra93 on 26 Jul 2017, 11:14.
Last edited by chiragmishra93 on 27 Jul 2017, 01:50, edited 2 times in total.
Admissionado
P
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Re: Took GMAT at 24 , need advice.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2017, 00:32
chiragmishra93 wrote:
Hi, I am an Engineer from India. I just took GMAT a few days back and scored 750 (98 percentile) with Q51 (96 percentile) and V41(94 percentile)

Background :

I am a 24 years old Male
Completed my bachelors from IIT(The best University for Engineering in India) with a CGPA of 8.59/10 (Indian grading system)
I am presently working at Oracle as a Software Developer since the past 14 months.

Career Aspiration : To work as a Product Manager in a top IT Company.

I am aiming for universities like INSEAD, HEC or one of the top 30 universities in US (if I get a scholarship)

Please evaluate my profile and let me know what my next steps should be. Also kindly tell me what my chances for a Scholarship at the above mentioned universities are.

Thanks in advance. :)

Hello there "Engineer from India" ;)

So first step is clear: work 3-4 more years. And do well. Very well. And aim for LEADERSHIP roles.

Your base profile is very good - IIT, good grades, good employer, great GMAT. lovely!

But you can't apply without minimum 3-4 years experience, and as an Indian, and as an IT guy, realistically speaking the average is closer to 7-9 years.

Why? Because before a top school will accept you they will want to see PROVEN success.

And as you know that takes time.

That's doesn't however mean you should just sit in your thumbs for three years!
There's lots you can do - to learn about the schools, to improve your profile, to build your network:
- Make sure you have one solid constant strong volunteer work position during the entire time. What is a strong position? one with LEADERSHIP or leadership potential
- If you have any entrepreneurial ideas, make them happen!
- Make sure you do as well as possible at work
- Do some other activities - the hardest thing for Indian Techies is that everyone has the same boring old profile. You will need to DIFFERENTIATE yourself, if you are to succeed.

Other than that go to as many MBA events as you can. Gather information. Talk to people. Doing it slow and steady will win the race :)

Best,
Jon

==

***NEW Admissionado Products & Services! ***

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Now, read up and get smart:

That'll get you started. Still have questions? Reach out, and let’s gab. 
Our only requirement is that you don’t prefer warm milk over cold milk. Everyone else, 100% welcome.

Email: claudia@admissionado.com
Young People: WhatsApp or WeChat (@JonFrankHBS)
Older: FacebookTwitterLinkedIn 
Oldest: 866-409-4753
Intern
Intern
B
Took GMAT at 24 , need advice.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2017, 09:33
Thanks a lot JonAdmissionado for your advice. I forgot to mention a few points :

I have Co-founded a startup and worked as its CTO for almost an year during my bachelors.

Also I have worked as a Teaching Assistant to junior year class for a course.

I have also worked for a non profit organization, teaching underprivileged children.

I have worked as the Technical Head of the technical fest at my university, supervising a team of developers.

I was also elected as a mentor to fresher year students.

At my organization(Oracle), I have been a part of Campus Recruitment Team and have interviewed candidates for the same profile as I am working in.

Also I have delivered a TechTalk to a team of 60 developers over a new technology.

I am assigned as a buddy (mentor) to new hires in my team.

I would really appreciate if you could let me know if these points count in favor of me and make my application strong. This would help me build my profile further at and outside work. :)

Thanks,
Chirag
Admissionado
P

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2017, 00:43
chiragmishra93 wrote:
Thanks a lot JonAdmissionado for your advice. I forgot to mention a few points :

I have Co-founded a startup and worked as its CTO for almost an year during my bachelors.

Also I have worked as a Teaching Assistant to junior year class for a course.

I have also worked for a non profit organization, teaching underprivileged children.

I have worked as the Technical Head of the technical fest at my university, supervising a team of developers.

I was also elected as a mentor to fresher year students.

At my organization(Oracle), I have been a part of Campus Recruitment Team and have interviewed candidates for the same profile as I am working in.

Also I have delivered a TechTalk to a team of 60 developers over a new technology.

I am assigned as a buddy (mentor) to new hires in my team.

I would really appreciate if you could let me know if these points count in favor of me and make my application strong. This would help me build my profile further at and outside work. :)

Thanks,
Chirag

Dear Chirag,
Absolutely! Each one of these points is relevant. And I think each one of them can be added to your profile, one way or another. It's very important in fact, that you have such activities in your profile, to give it breadth and depth, and I would encourage you to continue such things, especially talking in public, leading and mentoring where you can. And that entrepreneurial experience is also valuable and unique.

What can I say, but "keep up the good work:! :)

Best,
JF

==

Our only requirement is that you don’t prefer warm milk over cold milk. Everyone else, 100% welcome.

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2017, 04:42
Thanks again Jon. I will definitely try to strengthen my profile with such activities as well as volunteering work. :)

Cheers !
Admissionado
P

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2017, 03:06
chiragmishra93 wrote:
Thanks again Jon. I will definitely try to strengthen my profile with such activities as well as volunteering work. :)

Cheers !

Great!
good luck!
Looking forward to hearing back from you with your new and improved profile :)

==

Took GMAT at 24 , need advice.

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: Admissionado

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap