Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 11:12 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 11:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [37]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V47
GPA: 3.99
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 428 [1]
Given Kudos: 331
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GPA: 3.76
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 345 [2]
Given Kudos: 854
GPA: 3.57
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [1]
Send PM
Re: Unlike previous presidents, Donald Trump’s administration is radically [#permalink]
Kudos
Show SpoilerAuthor's Reasoning
The obvious error that will leap out at most people is the "Unlike previous presidents, Donald Trump’s administration" error. Obviously, previous presidents should not be compared to a presidential administration. Additionally, the text says that his approval ratings are lower than...any president.

However, there is a deeper flaw—redundancy. The sentence basically says that Donald Trump's administration is unlike that any of his predecessors because things are different. Obviously, if the situation is unlike the previous situation it's because something is different. (E), the credited response, eliminates the unnecessary introductory phrase.

Some have questioned whether "Donald Trump's" can be a valid antecedent for the possessive adjective "his." While I certainly agree that a sentence such as: "Donald Trump's situation is different because he ..." would be unacceptable because the pronoun he lacks a valid antecedent, I believe (and other experts may confirm this) that a possessive phrase such as "Donald Trump's" can be a valid antecedent for a possessive adjective such as "his."
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [2]
Send PM
Re: Unlike previous presidents, Donald Trump’s administration is radically [#permalink]
Kudos
I don't think using "not just X but also Y" is correct.
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [3]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
sananoor wrote:
Hi, Kindly explain that why E is right though i couldnt find the antecedent of HIS. Why option C is wrong.

The antecedent of "his" is "Donald Trump’s". A possessive pronoun may have a possessive noun as antecedent.

In Option C, there may be a problem with the meaning (at least according to the author, it seems). This option implies 2 things:

1. Donald Trump's situation is different from that of his predecessors,
2. but the same is not true for his predecessors (previous presidents), i.e. his predecessors did not have a different situation from that of their predecessors.

It appears that the author of this question does not intend to convey the second part (though this is not a solid reason to eliminate C).

However there seems to be* a parallelism error in both options C and E (OA):
not only (because clause), but also (because of noun phrase)

The ending of the sentence should have been:
"....... but also because level of media opposition is unprecedented."

*Please refer to the discussion below about parallelism:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/unlike-previ ... l#p1827264
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
sayantanc2k wrote:
sananoor wrote:
Hi, Kindly explain that why E is right though i couldnt find the antecedent of HIS. Why option C is wrong.

The antecedent of "his" is "Donald Trump’s". A possessive pronoun may have a possessive noun as antecedent.

In Option C, there may be a problem with the meaning (at least according to the author, it seems). This option implies 2 things:

2. but the same is not true for his predecessors (previous presidents), i.e. his predecessors did not have a different situation from that of their predecessors.

It appears that the author of this question does not intend to convey the second part (though this is not a solid reason to eliminate C).

However there is a serious parallelism error in both options C and E (OA):

Thank you for your comment. I would like to refer you to the official question at https://gmatclub.com/forum/in-recent-ye ... 82782.html

In this we see that the best answer contains the phrase:

"party to acquire...and party because" + subject + verb. In this official answer, the phrases were considered parallel. Accordingly, I do not agree that there is a "serious parallelism error" in the credited response. Certainly the phrases are not perfectly parallel, but this is not a serious impediment to the answer.

I would also like to refer you to https://gmatclub.com/forum/over-the-cou ... 34885.html in which we see that the best answer (A) contains the phrase:

"...as a result of several improvements in blowing machinery and because coal replaced charcoal as the fuel used in the smelting of iron ore."

According to your logic, this official question must also have a "serious parallelism error" that will no doubt prompt you to suggest a better wording.

Personally, however, I think your understanding of parallelism is unnecessarily narrow. Parallelism is not a straitjacket preventing us from expressing ourselves but rather a tool used to make our meaning plain.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Confusion is over (C or E).

C)Unlike previous presidents <were in radically different situation from that of their predecessors> , Donald Trump is in a situation radically different from that of his predecessors not only because his approval ratings upon taking office are lower than those of

It compares- D Trump and previous presidents on the ground-
whether they are in radically different situation from that of their predecessors.

E)Donald Trump’s situation is radically different from that of his predecessors not just because his approval ratings upon taking office are lower than those of

It compares- D Trump and previous presidents on the ground-
their respective current situations.

Main statement:
Unlike previous presidents, Donald Trump’s administration is radically different from those of his predecessors not only because his approval ratings taking office are lower than

By looking at it, we can infer - Donald Trump's administration and previous presidents' administrations are compared .
hence , comparison is based on current situation.
E looks more promising, THOUGH E has abstained from using 'not only..but also' clause.
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Zosimus wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
sananoor wrote:

However there is a serious parallelism error in both options C and E (OA):

Thank you for your comment. I would like to refer you to the official question at https://gmatclub.com/forum/in-recent-ye ... 82782.html

In this we see that the best answer contains the phrase:

"party to acquire...and party because" + subject + verb. In this official answer, the phrases were considered parallel. Accordingly, I do not agree that there is a "serious parallelism error" in the credited response. Certainly the phrases are not perfectly parallel, but this is not a serious impediment to the answer.

I would also like to refer you to https://gmatclub.com/forum/over-the-cou ... 34885.html in which we see that the best answer (A) contains the phrase:

"...as a result of several improvements in blowing machinery and because coal replaced charcoal as the fuel used in the smelting of iron ore."

According to your logic, this official question must also have a "serious parallelism error" that will no doubt prompt you to suggest a better wording.

Personally, however, I think your understanding of parallelism is unnecessarily narrow. Parallelism is not a straitjacket preventing us from expressing ourselves but rather a tool used to make our meaning plain.

Thank you for pointing out the official examples.

The first example you pointed out sets up parallelism between two adverbial phrases ("partly to acquire.." and "partly because..") and is hence alright.

In the second example you pointed out, I can see that a parallelism is set up between a prepositional phrase and a dependent clause.

Thus I agree that my concept of parallelism is too stringent, and GMAT allows breaking parallelism to this extent at least. I am modifying my post that states "serious problem".
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V34
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
For me this is a debatable question.

Iam totally lost with the explanations.
Why is C not correct?

I Still don't get what "his" refers to in answer E.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [3]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools: ISB '19 (A)
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.65
Send PM
Kudos