It is currently 16 Oct 2017, 19:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Unlike previous presidents, Donald Trump’s administration is radically

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 2

GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V47
GPA: 3.99
Unlike previous presidents, Donald Trump’s administration is radically [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2017, 08:46
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

26% (01:28) correct 74% (01:13) wrong based on 341 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Unlike previous presidents, Donald Trump’s administration is radically different from those of his predecessors not only because his approval ratings taking office are lower than any president in modern history but also because of the unprecedented level of media opposition.

A)Unlike previous presidents, Donald Trump’s administration is radically different from those of his predecessors not only because his approval ratings taking office are lower than
B)Unlike previous presidents, the administration of Donald Trump is radically different from those of his predecessors not only because his approval ratings taking office are lower than those of
C)Unlike previous presidents, Donald Trump is in a situation radically different from that of his predecessors not only because his approval ratings upon taking office are lower than those of
D)Donald Trump’s situation, unlike those of previous presidents, is radically different from his predecessors not just because his approval ratings upon taking office are lower than those of
E)Donald Trump’s situation is radically different from that of his predecessors not just because his approval ratings upon taking office are lower than those of
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

GMAT Instructor
ApexGMAT
http://www.apexgmat.com/

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 75 [0], given: 257

Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GPA: 3.76
Reviews Badge
Re: Unlike previous presidents, Donald Trump’s administration is radically [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2017, 11:41
I am not convinced with right choice. What is the antecedent of HIS?

Push yourself again and again. Don't give an inch until the final buzzer sounds. -Larry Bird
Success isn't something that just happens - success is learned, success is practiced and then it is shared. -Sparky Anderson
-S

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GPA: 3.76
Reviews Badge
Re: Unlike previous presidents, Donald Trump’s administration is radically [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2017, 11:42
Hi, Kindly explain that why E is right though i couldnt find the antecedent of HIS. Why option C is wrong.

Push yourself again and again. Don't give an inch until the final buzzer sounds. -Larry Bird
Success isn't something that just happens - success is learned, success is practiced and then it is shared. -Sparky Anderson
-S

Manager
Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 83 [0], given: 384

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2017, 11:50
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Zosimus wrote:
Unlike previous presidents, Donald Trump’s administration is radically different from those of his predecessors not only because his approval ratings taking office are lower than any president in modern history but also because of the unprecedented level of media opposition.

Unlike previous presidents, Donald Trump’s administration is radically different from those of his predecessors not only because his approval ratings taking office are lower than
Unlike previous presidents, the administration of Donald Trump is radically different from those of his predecessors not only because his approval ratings taking office are lower than those of
Unlike previous presidents, Donald Trump is in a situation radically different from that of his predecessors not only because his approval ratings upon taking office are lower than those of
Donald Trump’s situation, unlike those of previous presidents, is radically different from his predecessors not just because his approval ratings upon taking office are lower than those of
Donald Trump’s situation is radically different from that of his predecessors not just because his approval ratings upon taking office are lower than those of

A- Unlike previous presidents, Donald Trump’s administration is radically different from those of his predecessors not only because his approval ratings taking office are lower than

B- Unlike previous presidents, the administration of Donald Trump is radically different from those of his predecessors not only because his approval ratings taking office are lower than those of

C- Unlike previous presidents, Donald Trump is in a situation radically different from that of his predecessors not only because his approval ratings upon taking office are lower than those of - It looks idiomatic use and should be different than that of. I am open to corrections on this one.

D- Donald Trump’s situation, unlike those of previous presidents, is radically different from his predecessors not just because his approval ratings upon taking office are lower than those of -

E- Donald Trump’s situation is radically different from that of his predecessors not just because his approval ratings upon taking office are lower than those of

E doesn't exhibit these clear flaws.

Please hit Kudos if this post helped you inch closer to your GMAT goal.
Procrastination is the termite constantly trying to eat your GMAT tree from the inside.
There is one fix to every problem, working harder!

Last edited by jedit on 23 Mar 2017, 19:38, edited 2 times in total.

Kudos [?]: 83 [0], given: 384

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 21 [1], given: 2

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2017, 12:50
This post received
KUDOS
[Reveal] Spoiler: Author's Reasoning
The obvious error that will leap out at most people is the "Unlike previous presidents, Donald Trump’s administration" error. Obviously, previous presidents should not be compared to a presidential administration. Additionally, the text says that his approval ratings are lower than...any president.

However, there is a deeper flaw—redundancy. The sentence basically says that Donald Trump's administration is unlike that any of his predecessors because things are different. Obviously, if the situation is unlike the previous situation it's because something is different. (E), the credited response, eliminates the unnecessary introductory phrase.

Some have questioned whether "Donald Trump's" can be a valid antecedent for the possessive adjective "his." While I certainly agree that a sentence such as: "Donald Trump's situation is different because he ..." would be unacceptable because the pronoun he lacks a valid antecedent, I believe (and other experts may confirm this) that a possessive phrase such as "Donald Trump's" can be a valid antecedent for a possessive adjective such as "his."

GMAT Instructor
ApexGMAT

Kudos [?]: 21 [1], given: 2

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [1], given: 2

Show Tags

New post 24 Mar 2017, 00:21
This post received
KUDOS
I don't think using "not just X but also Y" is correct.

Kudos [?]: 2 [1], given: 2

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3278 [0], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Unlike previous presidents, Donald Trump’s administration is radically [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Mar 2017, 01:50
sananoor wrote:
Hi, Kindly explain that why E is right though i couldnt find the antecedent of HIS. Why option C is wrong.

The antecedent of "his" is "Donald Trump’s". A possessive pronoun may have a possessive noun as antecedent.

In Option C, there may be a problem with the meaning (at least according to the author, it seems). This option implies 2 things:

1. Donald Trump's situation is different from that of his predecessors,
2. but the same is not true for his predecessors (previous presidents), i.e. his predecessors did not have a different situation from that of their predecessors.

It appears that the author of this question does not intend to convey the second part (though this is not a solid reason to eliminate C).

However there seems to be* a parallelism error in both options C and E (OA):
not only (because clause), but also (because of noun phrase)

The ending of the sentence should have been:
"....... but also because level of media opposition is unprecedented."

*Please refer to the discussion below about parallelism:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/unlike-previ ... l#p1827264

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 24 Mar 2017, 12:44
Bhuvan.deshwal wrote:
I don't think using "not just X but also Y" is correct.

Thank you for your comment. I would like to refer you to OG13-SC86, which can be found at https://gmatclub.com/forum/in-2000-a-me ... 45461.html

GMAT Instructor
ApexGMAT

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 24 Mar 2017, 13:02
sayantanc2k wrote:
sananoor wrote:

The antecedent of "his" is "Donald Trump’s". A possessive pronoun may have a possessive noun as antecedent.

In Option C, there may be a problem with the meaning (at least according to the author, it seems). This option implies 2 things:

2. but the same is not true for his predecessors (previous presidents), i.e. his predecessors did not have a different situation from that of their predecessors.

It appears that the author of this question does not intend to convey the second part (though this is not a solid reason to eliminate C).

However there is a serious parallelism error in both options C and E (OA):

Thank you for your comment. I would like to refer you to the official question at https://gmatclub.com/forum/in-recent-ye ... 82782.html

In this we see that the best answer contains the phrase:

"party to acquire...and party because" + subject + verb. In this official answer, the phrases were considered parallel. Accordingly, I do not agree that there is a "serious parallelism error" in the credited response. Certainly the phrases are not perfectly parallel, but this is not a serious impediment to the answer.

I would also like to refer you to https://gmatclub.com/forum/over-the-cou ... 34885.html in which we see that the best answer (A) contains the phrase:

"...as a result of several improvements in blowing machinery and because coal replaced charcoal as the fuel used in the smelting of iron ore."

According to your logic, this official question must also have a "serious parallelism error" that will no doubt prompt you to suggest a better wording.

Personally, however, I think your understanding of parallelism is unnecessarily narrow. Parallelism is not a straitjacket preventing us from expressing ourselves but rather a tool used to make our meaning plain.

GMAT Instructor
ApexGMAT

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 35

GPA: 3.31

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2017, 06:19
Confusion is over (C or E).

C)Unlike previous presidents <were in radically different situation from that of their predecessors> , Donald Trump is in a situation radically different from that of his predecessors not only because his approval ratings upon taking office are lower than those of

It compares- D Trump and previous presidents on the ground-
whether they are in radically different situation from that of their predecessors.

E)Donald Trump’s situation is radically different from that of his predecessors not just because his approval ratings upon taking office are lower than those of

It compares- D Trump and previous presidents on the ground-
their respective current situations.

Main statement:
Unlike previous presidents, Donald Trump’s administration is radically different from those of his predecessors not only because his approval ratings taking office are lower than

By looking at it, we can infer - Donald Trump's administration and previous presidents' administrations are compared .
hence , comparison is based on current situation.
E looks more promising, THOUGH E has abstained from using 'not only..but also' clause.

In case you find my posts helpful, give me Kudos. Thank you.

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 35

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2017, 14:17
Zosimus wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
sananoor wrote:

However there is a serious parallelism error in both options C and E (OA):

Thank you for your comment. I would like to refer you to the official question at https://gmatclub.com/forum/in-recent-ye ... 82782.html

In this we see that the best answer contains the phrase:

"party to acquire...and party because" + subject + verb. In this official answer, the phrases were considered parallel. Accordingly, I do not agree that there is a "serious parallelism error" in the credited response. Certainly the phrases are not perfectly parallel, but this is not a serious impediment to the answer.

I would also like to refer you to https://gmatclub.com/forum/over-the-cou ... 34885.html in which we see that the best answer (A) contains the phrase:

"...as a result of several improvements in blowing machinery and because coal replaced charcoal as the fuel used in the smelting of iron ore."

According to your logic, this official question must also have a "serious parallelism error" that will no doubt prompt you to suggest a better wording.

Personally, however, I think your understanding of parallelism is unnecessarily narrow. Parallelism is not a straitjacket preventing us from expressing ourselves but rather a tool used to make our meaning plain.

Thank you for pointing out the official examples.

The first example you pointed out sets up parallelism between two adverbial phrases ("partly to acquire.." and "partly because..") and is hence alright.

In the second example you pointed out, I can see that a parallelism is set up between a prepositional phrase and a dependent clause.

Thus I agree that my concept of parallelism is too stringent, and GMAT allows breaking parallelism to this extent at least. I am modifying my post that states "serious problem".

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 32

Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2017, 01:58
For me this is a debatable question.

Iam totally lost with the explanations.
Why is C not correct?

I Still don't get what "his" refers to in answer E.

What was previously thought to be impossible is now obvious reality.
In the past, people used to open doors with their hands. Today, doors open "by magic" when people approach them

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 32

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 232

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 3.56
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2017, 20:34
Zosimus wrote:

A)Unlike previous presidents, Donald Trump’s administration is radically different from those of his predecessors not only because his approval ratings taking office are lower than
B)Unlike previous presidents, the administration of Donald Trump is radically different from those of his predecessors not only because his approval ratings taking office are lower than those of
C)Unlike previous presidents, Donald Trump is in a situation radically different from that of his predecessors not only because his approval ratings upon taking office are lower than those of
D)Donald Trump’s situation, unlike those of previous presidents, is radically different from his predecessors not just because his approval ratings upon taking office are lower than those of

Hi bro!

I think that in A and B those (plural) incorrectly refers to administration (singular), so A and B are wrong.

Is my reasoning right? Many thanks! :-D

Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one - Bruce Lee

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [1], given: 3

Schools: ISB '19 (S)
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.65
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2017, 20:08
This post received
KUDOS
I did mark C. But only after seeing the official answer can I say that there is also a redundancy error in C.

When we say 'Unlike previous presidents, Donald trump is in a situation radically different' we already have compared Donald trump to his predecessors. Therefore, 'From that of his predecessors' is unecesaary here.

However, C seems to be the best option at first and was also my first choice because of the 'not only.. but also' framework.

Posted from my mobile device

Kudos [?]: 1 [1], given: 3

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 3

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2017, 08:30
Can anyone please elaborate why is option C incorrect?

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 3

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2017, 21:33
I think that in A and B "those" (plural) incorrectly refers to "administration" (singular), so A and B are wrong.

Is my reasoning right? Many thanks! :-D

Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one - Bruce Lee

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2017, 01:50
rakeshsingha wrote:

guialain wrote:

Why is C not correct?

Your queries have already been discussed in the thread:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/unlike-previ ... l#p1825958

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2017, 06:50
sayantanc2k wrote:
rakeshsingha wrote:

guialain wrote:

Why is C not correct?

Your queries have already been discussed in the thread:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/unlike-previ ... l#p1825958

I think that in A and B those (plural) incorrectly refers to administration (singular), therefore A and B are wrong.

Is my reasoning right?

Many thanks! :-D

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 9

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2017, 12:19
Can someone please help with the idiom, "not just...but also.." in Option E. Thats the reason why i eliminated E

Thanks

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 9

Re: Unlike previous presidents, Donald Trump’s administration is radically   [#permalink] 08 Oct 2017, 12:19

Unlike previous presidents, Donald Trump’s administration is radically

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap