Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 23:00 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 23:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: Sub 505 Levelx   Parallelismx                  
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 113 [77]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 14672 [29]
Given Kudos: 766
Send PM
General Discussion
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5650 [1]
Given Kudos: 416
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [1]
Given Kudos: 108
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V27
GPA: 4
Send PM
Re: Travelers from Earth to Mars would have to endure low levels of gravit [#permalink]
Kudos
EMPOWERgmatVerbal wrote:
Hello Everyone!

This looks like a great example of a question that focuses on parallel structure! Whenever we see a question with a long list, parallelism is a great place to start narrowing down wrong answers.

Let's break down each answer to rule out answers that don't use parallel structure. We know that every item in the list has to be parallel to the one item on the list that isn't underlined: "ward off." Since we cannot change that part, we need to match all other items in the list to that!

A. Mars would have to endure low levels of gravity for long periods of time, avoiding large doses of radiation, plus contending --> NOT PARALLEL
B. Mars would have to endure low levels of gravity for long periods of time, avoid large doses of radiation, contend --> PARALLEL
C. Mars, having to endure low levels of gravity for long periods of time, would also have to avoid large doses of radiation, plus contending --> NOT PARALLEL
D. Mars, having to endure low levels of gravity for long periods of time, avoid large doses of radiation, plus contend --> PARALLEL
E. Mars, who would have to endure low levels of gravity for long periods of time, avoid large doses of radiation, contend with --> PARALLEL

We can rule out answers A and C for lacking parallel structure!

Okay, so this narrows things down a bit! Let's break down any other problems with answer B, D, and E:

B. Mars would have to endure low levels of gravity for long periods of time, avoid large doses of radiation, contend

This is CORRECT! It uses parallel structure and includes a verb to make this a complete sentence.

D. Mars, having to endure low levels of gravity for long periods of time, avoid large doses of radiation, plus contend

This is INCORRECT because by adding the comma and changing the verb to the gerund "having," this is now just one long run-on sentence. It is missing a verb!

E. Mars, who would have to endure low levels of gravity for long periods of time, avoid large doses of radiation, contend with

This is also INCORRECT because the comma turns this into a long run-on sentence that is missing a verb.

Don't study for the GMAT. Train for it.

Is "Endure" not a verb?..... having to endure sounds right to me .... to endure - verb in the infinitive form?
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5650 [1]
Given Kudos: 416
Send PM
Re: Travelers from Earth to Mars would have to endure low levels of gravit [#permalink]
sriramsundaram91

Here is a post for usage of 'having'. usually problem is with the meaning of the sentence. In most of the Gmat question use of having is only in wrong option, though not all.
https://gmatclub.com/forum/use-of-havin ... 53479.html
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [1]
Given Kudos: 89
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
Schools: Desautels (D)
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
Hello egmat

Could you please explain how come there is no verb in option D as pointed out by earlier explanations.

Travelers from Earth to Mars, having to endure low levels of gravity for long periods of time, avoid large doses of radiation, plus contend with the chemically reactive Martian soil, and perhaps even ward off contamination by Martian life-forms.

Can't the above highlighted act as verb for Travelers? if having to endure low levels of gravity for long periods of time act as modifier.
I mean I know that in this way sentence will have different meaning than the original one and will be wrong.
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35485 [1]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
nitinaroraaa wrote:
I mean I know that in this way sentence will have different meaning than the original one and will be wrong.

Hi nitinaroraaa , you tagged egmat about the verb issue, but this part needs addressing.

The highlighted sentence keeps appearing in one form or another.

I do not know from what source this belief comes, but the belief is pervasive and causes too many people to avoid correct answers.

Option A does not determine the original meaning.
Use all five options to determine meaning.

Many problems in the official guides contain a choice (A) that could not be and is not the intended meaning of the sentence.

I will give you four examples that I found quickly (read: there may be better examples, but these will suffice).

The questions I mention below can be found from this directory page.
Click on the title that I reference.
On the new page, find the question number.
When you click on the link, the question's topic thread opens.

In OG 2018, look at SC #741 (in which A's meaning is nonsensical and opposite from that intended)
and at SC #781 (in which option A's logic is both incredibly confusing and not the intended meaning)
HERE is yet another example.

If you have access to the Official Guide Verbal Review 2019, look at SC #273, in which the author of the OE writes,
"It is difficult to tell which parts of this sentence go together because of errors and confusion in [Option A]."

Spoiler alert, one incorrect answer to official question revealed:
About the correct answer, which is NOT A, the author writes, "In this sentence, the meaning is clearer . . ."
Part of that OE is here.

In short, we use context, grammar, comparison of options, logic, and other things to discern the intended meaning.
Sure, if option A is garbled and illogical, we can try to infer the meaning from the errors.

On the other hand, we could read the other options and find one that is not garbled and illogical.

I would hate for anyone to eliminate a correct answer because its meaning was different from that in A.
It's okay if the correct answer does not match the meaning in option A.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Given Kudos: 76
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V25
GMAT 2: 650 Q49 V28
Send PM
Kudos
EMPOWERgmatVerbal wrote:
Hello Everyone!

This looks like a great example of a question that focuses on parallelism! Whenever we see a question with a long list, parallelism is a great place to start narrowing down wrong answers.

Let's break down each answer to rule out answers that don't use parallel structure. We know that every item in the list has to be parallel to the one item on the list that isn't underlined: "ward off." Since we cannot change that part, we need to match all other items in the list to that!

A. Mars would have to endure low levels of gravity for long periods of time, avoiding large doses of radiation, plus contending --> NOT PARALLEL
B. Mars would have to endure low levels of gravity for long periods of time, avoid large doses of radiation, contend --> PARALLEL
C. Mars, having to endure low levels of gravity for long periods of time, would also have to avoid large doses of radiation, plus contending --> NOT PARALLEL
D. Mars, having to endure low levels of gravity for long periods of time, avoid large doses of radiation, plus contend --> PARALLEL
E. Mars, who would have to endure low levels of gravity for long periods of time, avoid large doses of radiation, contend with --> PARALLEL

Okay, so this narrows things down a bit! Let's break down any other problems with answer B, D, and E:

B. Mars would have to endure low levels of gravity for long periods of time, avoid large doses of radiation, contend
This is CORRECT! It uses parallel structure and includes a verb to make this a complete sentence.

D. Mars, having to endure low levels of gravity for long periods of time, avoid large doses of radiation, plus contend
This is INCORRECT because by adding the comma and changing the verb to the gerund "having," this is now just one long run-on sentence. It is missing a verb!

E. Mars, who would have to endure low levels of gravity for long periods of time, avoid large doses of radiation, contend with
This is also INCORRECT because the comma turns this into a long run-on sentence that is missing a verb.

Sir,

I didn't understand your logic for eliminating E [ because the comma turns this into a long run-on sentence that is missing a verb]
What would have been the correction associated with your RUN-ON sentence logic.

I eliminated it based on "who" -> Modifying Mars not Travelers , So that changes the meaning.

EMPOWERgmatVerbal or Anyone else who could throw some light.

Regards
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 76
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V25
GMAT 2: 650 Q49 V28
Send PM
Can one explain the parts of this sentence in terms of Clause and phrase , Main subject , Main verb etc.

Getting confused.
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 14672 [4]
Given Kudos: 766
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
SUNNYRHODE002 wrote:
EMPOWERgmatVerbal wrote:
Hello Everyone!

This looks like a great example of a question that focuses on parallelism! Whenever we see a question with a long list, parallelism is a great place to start narrowing down wrong answers.

Sir,

I didn't understand your logic for eliminating E [ because the comma turns this into a long run-on sentence that is missing a verb]
What would have been the correction associated with your RUN-ON sentence logic.

I eliminated it based on "who" -> Modifying Mars not Travelers , So that changes the meaning.

EMPOWERgmatVerbal or Anyone else who could throw some light.

Regards

Hello SUNNYRHODE002

You could absolutely eliminate option E for the modifier problem - that option has many issues.

Here is how I eliminated it on the basis of a missing verb. To start, here is what option E looks like if we add back in the non-underlined parts:

Travelers from Earth to Mars, who would have to endure low levels of gravity for long periods of time, avoid large doses of radiation, contend with the chemically reactive Martian soil, and perhaps even ward off contamination by Martian life-forms.

The subject is pretty easy to find - travelers. After that, we have a modifier that starts with "who," which we already said was a problem. What comes after that is a list of actions that are tied to the modifier. None of these things can stand in as a verb - they are simply adding more information to the modifier.

Since there is no verb/action tied to the subject (travelers), this is not a complete sentence and cannot be the correct option.

I hope that helps! There are typically multiple ways to arrive at the correct answer on GMAT questions - I am merely offering up one way to do it. If you got the same correct choice, but took a different path, that's totally okay! In fact, it's good for everyone to see all the different ways we tackle each question - it gives us great ideas for how to best train for the GMAT!
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [2]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
SUNNYRHODE002 wrote:
Can one explain the parts of this sentence in terms of Clause and phrase , Main subject , Main verb etc.

Hi Sunny, the correct sentence is:

Travelers from Earth to Mars would have to endure low levels of gravity for long periods of time, avoid large doses of radiation, contend with the chemically reactive Martian soil, and perhaps even ward off contamination by Martian life-forms.

So, the bare bones structure of the sentence is:

Travelers from Earth to Mars would have to W, X, Y, and Z.

The above is the main clause, and would have is the main verb.

Note that endure, avoid, contend, and ward are not used as pure-play verbs here, but as infinitives: to endure, (to) avoid, (to) contend, and (to) ward.

You can watch our video on Clauses.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses Clauses, their application and examples in significant detail. If you or someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [1]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Will someone please confirm whether E has a typo? What is that 'with' doing there at the end, when there is another 'with' in the non-underlined part? Sorry if this has already been pointed out. If on the contrary, if it is not a typo, just boot out for repetition.

Additionally, in E, if the main verbs are 1. avoid, 2 .contned and 3. ward off, then it looks as though there are plenty of travelers to Mars every now and then and they carry out these actions as a matter of routine. This is weird.

In effect, E is no run-on since there are no two ICs to join. "And perhaps ward off" is not a clause but a subjectless predicate.

On the contrary, if one considers the four actions such as to endure, avoid, contend and ward off as part of the relative clause, then E will be a fragment with a captive verb for the subject Travelers. All said and done, E is just out of the radar
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 608 [0]
Given Kudos: 1348
Send PM
BFR wrote:
Travelers from Earth to Mars would have to endure low levels of gravity for long periods of time, avoiding large doses of radiation, plus contending with the chemically reactive Martian soil, and perhaps even ward off contamination by Martian life-forms.

A. Mars would have to endure low levels of gravity for long periods of time, avoiding large doses of radiation, plus contending

C. Mars, having to endure low levels of gravity for long periods of time, would also have to avoid large doses of radiation, plus contending

OG2019 SC03083

GMATNinja,

Could you please advise usage of "WOULD HAVE" in option A and B.

Option C, D and E were absolutely wrong for me. So I got stuck between A and B. Finally I chose A thinking "avoiding large doses of radiation"
as modifier for preceding phrase i.e. ...Mars would have to endure low levels of gravity for long periods of time.

I was able to see clear parallelism in option B :(
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [2]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
ammuseeru wrote:
BFR wrote:
Travelers from Earth to Mars would have to endure low levels of gravity for long periods of time, avoiding large doses of radiation, plus contending with the chemically reactive Martian soil, and perhaps even ward off contamination by Martian life-forms.

A. Mars would have to endure low levels of gravity for long periods of time, avoiding large doses of radiation, plus contending

C. Mars, having to endure low levels of gravity for long periods of time, would also have to avoid large doses of radiation, plus contending

OG2019 SC03083

GMATNinja,

Could you please advise usage of "WOULD HAVE" in option A and B.

Option C, D and E were absolutely wrong for me. So I got stuck between A and B. Finally I chose A thinking "avoiding large doses of radiation"
as modifier for preceding phrase i.e. ...Mars would have to endure low levels of gravity for long periods of time.

I was able to see clear parallelism in option B :(

"Would have" is simply the conditional form of "to have" ("IF travelers were to go from Earth to Mars, then they would have to...").

The parallelism in (B) is nice and clean: "... would have to (1) endure, (2) avoid, (3) contend, and {perhaps even} (4) ward off..." We have a parallel list of 4 verbs, and all 4 can be tied back to "would have to".

As for (A), think about the meaning. What does "avoiding large doses of radiation" have to do with enduring low levels of gravity? Will the travelers have to avoid large doses of radiation WHILE enduring low levels of gravity but NOT WHILE warding off contamination??

And what about "contending with the chemically reactive Martian soil"? That certainly isn't parallel to "endure" and "ward off". And if we wanted it to modify "endure" (which wouldn't make much sense for the same reason just described), it would be better to have something like, "avoiding large doses of radiation AND contending...". As written, the function of the "contending..." part is unclear.

So, in choice (B) we have a perfectly parallel list of verbs, and the meaning is crystal clear: all 4 represent distinct things that the travelers would have to do. In choice (A), we have a parallel list of two verbs ("endure" and "ward off"), but the meaning/function of the two -ing parts ("avoiding..." and "contending...") is, at best, unclear.

That makes (B) a better option.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7624 [2]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Kudos
Top Contributor

All the things that Travelers from Earth to Mars would have to do fall under the same list of things and hence must all be parallel.

"Avoiding" and "contending" are not parallel with- endure, and ward off. Eliminate A.

Travelers from Earth to Mars would have to endure.., avoid.., contend.., and ward off.- All the items are perfectly parallel. Correct.

“Having” is a participle and not a verb. The first item in the list is a modifier and the rest of the items in the list are verbs. Eliminate

“Having” is a participle and not a verb. The first item in the list is a modifier and the rest of the items in the list are verbs. Eliminate

The relative pronoun who introduces a modifier. There’s no corresponding verb for Travelers. Eliminate.

VP
GMAT Verbal SME
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V33
Send PM
Travelers from Earth to Mars would have to endure low levels of gravit [#permalink]
Option E :

Travelers from Earth to Mars, who would have to endure low levels of gravity for long periods of time , avoid large doses of radiation, contend with the chemically reactive Martian soil, and perhaps even ward off contamination by Martian life-forms.

Not able to figure out as to why this sentence was commented as fragment, run-on etc. If we treat the highlighted part as modifier (relative clause), then the remaining sentence becomes :

Travelers from Earth to Mars avoid large doses of radiation, contend with the chemically reactive Martian soil, and perhaps even ward off contamination by Martian life-forms..

And the above sentence looks perfectly correct having combination of three verbs.

Experts, could you please help. Thanks in advance.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
abhishekmayank wrote:
Option E :

Travelers from Earth to Mars, who would have to endure low levels of gravity for long periods of time , avoid large doses of radiation, contend with with the chemically reactive Martian soil, and perhaps even ward off contamination by Martian life-forms.

with is getting repeated in option E.
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
abhishekmayank wrote:
Option E :

Travelers from Earth to Mars, who would have to endure low levels of gravity for long periods of time , avoid large doses of radiation, contend with the chemically reactive Martian soil, and perhaps even ward off contamination by Martian life-forms.

Not able to figure out as to why this sentence was commented as fragment, run-on etc. If we treat the highlighted part as modifier (relative clause), then the remaining sentence becomes :

Travelers from Earth to Mars avoid large doses of radiation, contend with the chemically reactive Martian soil, and perhaps even ward off contamination by Martian life-forms..

And the above sentence looks perfectly correct having combination of three verbs.

Experts, could you please help. Thanks in advance.

Hello abhishekmayank,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, In Option E, "endure", "avoid", "contend", and "ward off" are all part of the modifying prase "who would have to..."; it does not make sense for us to act on the noun phrase "Travelers from Earth to Mars" with the simple present tense verbs "avoid", "contend", and "ward off", as the use of these verbs implies that there are at present people traveling from the Earth to Mars who habitually take these actions.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts