Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 06:13 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 06:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 389 [1]
Given Kudos: 115
Schools: HEC CBS '23 EDHEC
GPA: 2.95
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6860 [1]
Given Kudos: 500
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22055 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Re: Toughest practice tests [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi S2021S,

Scoring 770 on your first two practice exams is fantastic. Out of curiosity, why do you think you need to score 790/800 on the GMAT?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
AndrewN wrote:
Hello, S2021S. First off, if a 770 is your baseline, then that puts you near the top of the list of all-time raw scores. Even those who end up in the 99th percentile often start no higher than the mid-600s. Since earning those next 20-30 points will be far more difficult for you than for someone else looking to go from, say, a 670-680 to a 700, you will have to humble yourself when studying your weaker areas and be especially diligent about tracking your errors (getting to the root of what had caused you to make them). You should also understand that completing more and more questions will provide diminishing returns after an initial period in which you will gain more familiarity with the format of the test itself (and probably increase your score by 10 points). I agree with Gmatisking above that in-house GMAT Club questions provide the toughest GMAT™-like Quant questions. They are expertly written in that they often build from basic concepts and incorporate the same traps that more challenging official questions do. Manhattan Prep Quant questions have a reputation for being more involved—i.e. time-intensive—but not necessarily similar to their official counterparts. Both Manhattan Prep and Veritas Prep Verbal questions also provide a challenge but are somewhat different in flavor from official questions. There is nearly universal agreement within the dedicated tutoring community that official questions provide by far the best training for the exam. Quant provides a more diverse array of options. In addition to those mentioned earlier, many members of the site sing the praises of questions they have encountered through Target Test Prep. Although I cannot personally vouch for the material, I have helped students with questions they have brought up to me from the platform, and I have always seen a sound method behind the questions and explanations. I also cannot deny the number of Q50-51 scorers who have mentioned their TTP training as an integral part of their preparation. So, in the end, you have to ask yourself, Is harder necessarily better for the task at hand?

You may be interested in the Quiz mode you can access through this site. Not only is it free for a week and relatively inexpensive thereafter, but you can also customize the questions you practice, allowing you to design a mock using official questions (if you so chose), up to fifty at a time. (You could design one section at a time.) To answer your query about the official practice exams, you can simply reset mocks 1 and 2 as many times as you wish, free of charge, so there would be no need to register a new account. Although the question pool on these two mocks is quite deep, if you test at a similar level, you will likely see repeat questions, and your results might therefore be unrepresentative. Purchasing mocks 3-6 is an option that will provide the best practice for predictive purposes, but the question pool is rather narrow, and you can only reset each exam once.

I think you have the right idea of treating this task as a game. To master the exam, you cannot let it get the upper hand on you mentally. Often, when high-aspiring students put too much pressure on themselves to earn an 800, they try to be cautious to avoid making any mistakes, and they walk away with little more than stories of why they flatlined. (Yes, a 770 can be seen as a failure in the eyes of some of these people, and I think you can understand such a mentality.) When people place trust in their training, however, and when that training is sufficient for the purpose, the sky is the limit. Yes, you will have to answer every graded question correctly to earn an 800—remember, there are experimental questions on the actual exam that do not count toward the total score—but I like to say that anyone who can get to within three questions of the mark can, on another day under slightly different circumstances, walk away with a quite different story.

Good luck with your studies, however you choose to go about them.

- Andrew

Thanks a lot. This is helpful.

I think I received some time-limited access to TargetTestPrep and Veritas (among others) when I registered on GMAT club yesterday night - so I will try to use them up before they expire and will then take up the GMAT club questions and quizzes.

I do realize that, in most exams in most fields, getting to a perfect score from a near-perfect score is often more difficult than raising average scores to good ones. I'm noticing what type of mistakes I tend to make and will try to eliminate them. Across Practice 1 and 2 (of course, there will be further types of errors when I do more quizzes/tests), these were the same - not reading the question closely enough, being flummoxed a bit by the 'A alone/B alone/Both together/Either/Neither is sufficient' type questions (I arrive at the correct value, if it exists, for x or y or whatever is asked and then frequently choose the wrong answer option!), being impatient and not reading through all 5 answer options on some of the verbal questions, etc. I'm getting used to some of the question types (the "sentence 1 is evidence in support of intermediate conclusion and sentence 2 is the final conclusion opposed by the argument" type, for example, which I didn't do well at all in the Practice Exams) and have realized I wasted time on some things (like reading option A on 'sentence correction' questions, which is always the same as the original sentence!). There was the odd question which wasn't very well worded or presented (inevitable in any exam), but now I know what they mean when they word a question that way.

I have also realized that I'm probably rushing through questions a bit. I always have ~ 5-10 minutes left on the clock when I reach the last question on a section and that is perhaps an indication that I rushed some earlier question.

Btw, it is interesting that they insert experimental questions in the middle of the exam! (probably for metadata collection/analysis?). I wasn't aware that they do this. Anyway, I'm going to treat each question as if it is a graded one.

Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:
Hi S2021S,

Scoring 770 on your first two practice exams is fantastic. Out of curiosity, why do you think you need to score 790/800 on the GMAT?

Thanks. This is just some trivial fun (being in lockdown/stuck inside one's house for an ultra-long time makes one bored!). I don't plan to do a MBA, nor am I going to put the GMAT score on my job resume!

I have a long history of 95/100 and 97/100 type of grades in exams without that many 100/100s. Tbh, I've never been a good preparer and would rather study 10 hours for a 95 than study 40 hours for a 100. I've realized that, unlike in exams that require subject knowledge where the difference between a 95 and a 100 lies in covering many pages of content that you have to not just understand when you read it (the easy part) but also remember all of it on exam day (the tougher part) or in practicing hundreds of different types of past questions, one can actually get to a perfect score on GMAT-type tests by cutting out the errors and by getting used to a smaller range of question-types. So, tests like these are perhaps my best shot at a perfect score.

I've always loved doing puzzles and stuff and used to love deriving math formulas from scratch when I was in high school (more than a decade back-I've lost touch now!). Plus, the 'verbal' portion is just normal English that we come across in books, magazines, newspapers, etc. and I happen to read a lot. So, I reckoned I'm well suited to take tests like GMAT and GRE (which I'm yet to try) and hence thought of giving them a try.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 236 [0]
Given Kudos: 243
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
Send PM
770 baseline score, finishing each section with 5-10 minutes to spare? No way you're a real person haha.

You can get a lot better initially just by changing your strategies for approaching questions. For example, since you never studied for GMAT before, I assume you never encountered Data Sufficiency questions in any other exams. When I solved the first few questions I used to check each option individually but following certain beginner strategies such as cancelling A and D both when statement 1 isn't sufficient etc. improved my timing and accuracy by a considerable margin. But then again you finish these sections way before time so I am not sure how you could improve more.

One problem with GMATPrep is the absence of analytics, the presence of which I found immensely helpful on other CATs offered by MGMAT, GMATClub, Experts Global etc. These analytics help you find your weaker areas and the question types that take you longer so that you could improve on them. Maybe you could take the free mock from one of them to identify your weaker areas too (if there are any which I don't think there are!)
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6860 [0]
Expert Reply
S2021S wrote:
Btw, it is interesting that they insert experimental questions in the middle of the exam! (probably for metadata collection/analysis?). I wasn't aware that they do this. Anyway, I'm going to treat each question as if it is a graded one.

Thanks.

Yes, roughly a quarter of the test does not even count toward your score, providing a compelling reason to follow the common tutoring advice to let go of questions you may struggle with rather than pursue them to their bitter end (and perhaps sacrifice time and peace of mind in the process). These experimental questions are woven into the test alongside their graded counterparts so that GMAC™ has reliable test-taker data for future questions that may appear on the exam—graded, of course—as well as data that may indicate irregularities—such questions might then be removed from the question pool or revised. GMAC™ spends thousands of dollars per question to get the finished product to you, and because of its rigorous screening process, you can place greater confidence in the integrity of official questions. I have examined every published official question, around 8,000 in all, and I can tell you that I have seen only two that were officially revised after public (non-experimental) release.

That said, you should indeed train as though every question counts. Get used to test-day pacing, test-day conditions (inasmuch as you may be able to simulate them), and test-day pressure—e.g., what do you do when you cannot see how to approach a question? As I wrote earlier, the mental component to the test, especially at the highest level, can make or break a performance. I think you may find this lengthy post I wrote earlier this year on common GMAT™ preparation mistakes to be of interest.

The two of us sound similar in our enthusiasm for mental games and challenges. I hope to read an interesting debrief down the line in which you detail how you climbed those next few steps. Once again, good luck.

- Andrew
Intern
Intern
Send PM
LamboWalker wrote:
770 baseline score, finishing each section with 5-10 minutes to spare? No way you're a real person haha.

You can get a lot better initially just by changing your strategies for approaching questions. For example, since you never studied for GMAT before, I assume you never encountered Data Sufficiency questions in any other exams. When I solved the first few questions I used to check each option individually but following certain beginner strategies such as cancelling A and D both when statement 1 isn't sufficient etc. improved my timing and accuracy by a considerable margin. But then again you finish these sections way before time so I am not sure how you could improve more.

One problem with GMATPrep is the absence of analytics, the presence of which I found immensely helpful on other CATs offered by MGMAT, GMATClub, Experts Global etc. These analytics help you find your weaker areas and the question types that take you longer so that you could improve on them. Maybe you could take the free mock from one of them to identify your weaker areas too (if there are any which I don't think there are!)

The way I'm approaching this (lack of analytics), for now, is to simply note which questions I got wrong and redo them immediately - that way, I'm automatically more familiar (thanks to more repetitions) with those topics I'm more likely to go wrong in. Besides, a lot of the math questions combine different concepts. So, I don't try to segregate them into different categories (geometry, algebra, probability, etc.) but I do know where I struggle and tend to take a lot of time on*- for example, permutation/combination questions because it is a pain to have to calculate something like 12!/5! inside your head and remember the output without being able to write it down, graph questions because it takes time to visualize something like (4,-11) and a slope of -5/3 (thankfully, the triangle and circle questions often come with a diagram in the question itself), questions involving two categories with a yes/no for each (the 'there are z people in a room; x are men and z-x are women and out of the z, y like orange juice and z-y do not like it, calculate ___ if x(z-y) is 3 times y(z-x)' type) because I cannot draw a table nor do the algebra on pen and paper and tend to make some small mistakes, like missing an x or flipping the sign, when I have to do it inside the head.

[I don't plan to use that 'on-screen whiteboard' in the exam...btw, why can't they just give a pen and paper, at least for those writing at a test center instead of at home?].

'Data sufficiency' is something I'm slowly improving at. I've realized that none of the questions of this type will be answerable without the information provided in 1) or 2) or both, i.e. none is answerable from the information in the original sentence(s) alone [I used to check for this and waste time!]. For the verbal section, I rely purely on 'feel'- it works most of the times but not on some of the sentence correction questions (both the Verbal questions that I got wrong on Practice Exam 2 were Sentence Correction ones). I think the key challenge with Verbal is staying fresh and avoiding reading fatigue! I'm not going to be practicing much, I think (what Andrew said above- that there is a lot more variety on math questions than on verbal- makes a lot of sense).

* In the Practice Exams, there were a couple of questions I took 6 or 7 minutes each on, though I eventually got them correct. In traditional exams, I don't mind taking much longer than expected on a problematic question, because I know I have the speed to make up for it later, but, for the GMAT, I might need to rethink this, especially considering that there are a significant number of experimental questions. ​One of my principles has been to never take a guess (i.e. I solve questions to the very end) - I might (or might not!) reconsider that.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
AndrewN wrote:
S2021S wrote:

Thanks.

Yes, roughly a quarter of the test does not even count toward your score, providing a compelling reason to follow the common tutoring advice to let go of questions you may struggle with rather than pursue them to their bitter end (and perhaps sacrifice time and peace of mind in the process). These experimental questions are woven into the test alongside their graded counterparts so that GMAC™ has reliable test-taker data for future questions that may appear on the exam—graded, of course—as well as data that may indicate irregularities—such questions might then be removed from the question pool or revised. GMAC™ spends thousands of dollars per question to get the finished product to you, and because of its rigorous screening process, you can place greater confidence in the integrity of official questions. I have examined every published official question, around 8,000 in all, and I can tell you that I have seen only two that were officially revised after public (non-experimental) release.

That said, you should indeed train as though every question counts. Get used to test-day pacing, test-day conditions (inasmuch as you may be able to simulate them), and test-day pressure—e.g., what do you do when you cannot see how to approach a question? As I wrote earlier, the mental component to the test, especially at the highest level, can make or break a performance. I think you may find [url] I wrote earlier this year on common GMAT™ preparation mistakes to be of interest.

The two of us sound similar in our enthusiasm for mental games and challenges. I hope to read an interesting debrief down the line in which you detail how you climbed those next few steps. Once again, good luck.

- Andrew

Agreed, the mental aspect is perhaps THE most important thing, on any exam. I like to go into exams fresh and without a lot on the mind. Exams like the GMAT are great in this regard because we can take the day before the exam off, which we cannot do on exams which require remembering a lot of subject-specific content (I've taken exams where a question can come from just about anywhere on a ~ 800 page textbook - those can be torture!). This time, the mask is going to be a challenge. Like most people, I've never before written an exam with a mask on and, tbh, though I do understand the necessity and do wear a mask diligently whenever I'm outside my home, I don't really like wearing one. I will do the last few mocks before the exam with a mask on, to get used to the feeling.

I hope I get a good time slot and a peaceful test center (centers here tend to be noisy, purely due to the sheer number of people present). I'll think of these things more as I get closer to taking the exam. For now, I'll do some practice questions this weekend, then I'm travelling on the next two weekends and won't get time, will resume preparation ~ Sep 11th (I must say that I quite like doing GMAT prep - it doesn't feel like the usual exam prep!), and hopefully, I can improve my scores fast enough to be able to write the GMAT by the end of September (I want to write it before the next COVID wave- hopefully, there won't be one).
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Update (bad news, sort of):

This Wednesday, I found some free time, took a third mock and got 790 (8-51-51) with 3 questions incorrect (all in Quantitative). Then, I took a look at those 3 mistakes, realized that all of them were easily avoidable [incredibly silly algebra/calc errors.. like pi/pi = pi :(] and, rather hastily, decided that I'm ready to write the real thing reasoning that I would be focusing better in a real exam and not making these sort of mistakes there. As the earliest available slot was for today (in a different city!... but I was travelling there anyway), I booked it and took the exam today...but got only a 780 (8-51-46) :(.

I'm not sure which questions I got wrong (for sure, they all seemed right when I clicked the options!) as there weren't any 'problematic' questions from what I can recall, nor how many I got wrong (on Verbal, 2/36 wrong gave a 47 and 3/36 wrong gave a 45 on the mocks.. so, likely to be either 2 or 3 in Verbal). I feel like I jumped the gun in deciding to take it this early and should have worked a bit more (and been more patient - after all, ~10 days back I knew nothing about GMAT!). Anyways, if I feel like it, I will give this (getting a 800) a go one more time!

Btw, will they give any feedback, apart from a score, on the 30-minute essay? Mine surely wasn't terrible, but it was not so great either. It has been many years since I wrote an essay (skipped it in the mocks as well).. hence, keen to know how I did on that.
Volunteer Expert
Kudos
Expert Reply
S2021S wrote:

This Wednesday, I found some free time, took a third mock and got 790 (8-51-51) with 3 questions incorrect (all in Quantitative). Then, I took a look at those 3 mistakes, realized that all of them were easily avoidable [incredibly silly algebra/calc errors.. like pi/pi = pi :(] and, rather hastily, decided that I'm ready to write the real thing reasoning that I would be focusing better in a real exam and not making these sort of mistakes there. As the earliest available slot was for today (in a different city!... but I was travelling there anyway), I booked it and took the exam today...but got only a 780 (8-51-46) :(.

I'm not sure which questions I got wrong (for sure, they all seemed right when I clicked the options!) as there weren't any 'problematic' questions from what I can recall, nor how many I got wrong (on Verbal, 2/36 wrong gave a 47 and 3/36 wrong gave a 45 on the mocks.. so, likely to be either 2 or 3 in Verbal). I feel like I jumped the gun in deciding to take it this early and should have worked a bit more (and been more patient - after all, ~10 days back I knew nothing about GMAT!). Anyways, if I feel like it, I will give this (getting a 800) a go one more time!

Btw, will they give any feedback, apart from a score, on the 30-minute essay? Mine surely wasn't terrible, but it was not so great either. It has been many years since I wrote an essay (skipped it in the mocks as well).. hence, keen to know how I did on that.

You must be the first person to be bummed about a 780, at least the first I know of. Your raw ability must be off the charts, but the GMAT™ is just not the type of test that rewards such talent. It takes the right combination of ability, discipline, and luck—yes, even top-scoring test-takers will break down sooner or later and drop a question: it is just a matter of time—to achieve a near perfect (790) or perfect score.

Regarding the AWA, all you will get is a score. If you follow a simple template (just type in chineseburned in the search bar), you will earn at least a 5, probably a 6. (I had a recent student practice two essays with the template, and he ended up achieving a perfect (AWA) score on the real exam.)

Keep at it. I suspect that with additional exposure to the material and some sort of guided approach, you may even achieve your goal. It would be neat to see a second verified 800 on the site, especially from a self-studier. Good luck.

- Andrew
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 270 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Concentration: Leadership, Technology
Schools: Wharton '25
WE:Information Technology (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Oh okay maybe we should try for 840 next time :D

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 384 [0]
Given Kudos: 83
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35 (Online)
GPA: 3.42
Send PM
S2021S wrote:

Wow! 780 is a great score! But yes you can definitely try for 800.

You can purchase the enhanced score report to see exactly how many question you got wrong if you like.

But good luck for you next attempt!!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
AndrewN wrote:
S2021S wrote:

You must be the first person to be bummed about a 780, at least the first I know of. Your raw ability must be off the charts, but the GMAT™ is just not the type of test that rewards such talent. It takes the right combination of ability, discipline, and luck—yes, even top-scoring test-takers will break down sooner or later and drop a question: it is just a matter of time—to achieve a near perfect (790) or perfect score.

Regarding the AWA, all you will get is a score. If you follow a simple template (just type in chineseburned in the search bar), you will earn at least a 5, probably a 6. (I had a recent student practice two essays with the template, and he ended up achieving a perfect (AWA) score on the real exam.)

Keep at it. I suspect that with additional exposure to the material and some sort of guided approach, you may even achieve your goal. It would be neat to see a second verified 800 on the site, especially from a self-studier. Good luck.

- Andrew

Yes, I need a bit more discipline (and patience!). I'm mildly disappointed with 780, but since this is very low stakes for me, it doesn't really matter. I think I will get back to the GMAT some time in the near future (I've realized that I like solving GMAT math questions). The challenge of getting a 800, I feel, is a bit like playing snooker or pool knowing that you can make (i.e. pot the ball) most types of shots most of the times and you are given a challenge where you have to make 67 consecutive shots - you fancy yourself to do it, but somewhere along the line, small lapses in concentration or minor technical flaws contribute to a missed shot or two and the streak doesn't materialize. One option is to attempt it more often (some day it will come off, it is a matter of chance to some extent), but it might be better to fine tune the technique a bit more before taking more attempts*.

Good to know that the essay doesn't demand a lot - I should be getting a decent score on it. I looked up a few templates online (one of them was from GMAT club, I think it might be the same as the one you mentioned) just before I left for the exam yesterday - didn't really stick to any template when it came to it, but what I ended up writing wasn't that far off any of the templates. So, this seems fine.

* Btw, I've realized that I shouldn't be burning the official mocks at a rate of 1 every 2 or 3 days - there are only 6 available (8 if two of them can be reset?) and these are as good as the real exam (I must admit that I had a sneaky suspicion after I took the first mock that they might be deliberately making the mocks a bit easier than the exam in order to encourage more people/new users to sign up/pay for the exam, but after reading the replies here, I got reassured that the official mocks are accurate; the exam yesterday was reconfirmation of the accuracy of the mocks).
Intern
Intern
Send PM
SohGMAT2020 wrote:
S2021S wrote:

Wow! 780 is a great score! But yes you can definitely try for 800.

You can purchase the enhanced score report to see exactly how many question you got wrong if you like.

But good luck for you next attempt!!

Thank you!

I think I will purchase the Enhanced Score Report if it would tell which questions I got wrong or provide feedback on the essay. I just looked it up on the Store and it seems to only provide 'Percentage of questions answered correctly', which I know (sort of) already, 'Time management', which I'm well aware of (I had ~5.5 minutes, ~2.5 minutes and a mere 12 seconds left on the clock on Quant, Verbal and IR respectively) as I glance up at the clock every few minutes to do a quick check on my current speed vs required speed (I tend to be slower/more careful in the first half of exams/sections, so this is necessary), 'Performance by question type', which is also something I'm aware of (2, or perhaps 3, wrong in Verbal- likely in Sentence Correction and/or Critical Reasoning because, iirc, I'm yet to get a question wrong in 'Reading Comprehension' in the mocks and the passages yesterday were easy, as usual and either 0 or 1 wrong in Quantitative - I don't remember the questions well enough to be able to say 'oh, it was this one that I got wrong' if I'm simply told that the one incorrect was in, say, algebra).

It does promise a 'Performance by difficulty type' and this might be useful to some extent as I can then guess (only approximately, of course) how the algorithm calculates the score to be, say, a 46 instead of a 47 (someone somewhere has done this analysis already, most likely). But if they don't give essay feedback or identification of the questions answered incorrectly, this alone is not enough to purchase the report :). Btw, is the Hard-Medium-Easy a GMAT official classification or is it the case that they use, say, 5 levels of difficulty and since they won't publish the algorithm, Hard-Medium-Easy is used by us (students, tutors, prep providers, etc.) as a useful and mostly accurate proxy?
Volunteer Expert
Kudos
Expert Reply
S2021S wrote:
Thank you!

I think I will purchase the Enhanced Score Report if it would tell which questions I got wrong or provide feedback on the essay. I just looked it up on the Store and it seems to only provide 'Percentage of questions answered correctly', which I know (sort of) already, 'Time management', which I'm well aware of (I had ~5.5 minutes, ~2.5 minutes and a mere 12 seconds left on the clock on Quant, Verbal and IR respectively) as I glance up at the clock every few minutes to do a quick check on my current speed vs required speed (I tend to be slower/more careful in the first half of exams/sections, so this is necessary), 'Performance by question type', which is also something I'm aware of (2, or perhaps 3, wrong in Verbal- likely in Sentence Correction and/or Critical Reasoning because, iirc, I'm yet to get a question wrong in 'Reading Comprehension' in the mocks and the passages yesterday were easy, as usual and either 0 or 1 wrong in Quantitative - I don't remember the questions well enough to be able to say 'oh, it was this one that I got wrong' if I'm simply told that the one incorrect was in, say, algebra).

It does promise a 'Performance by difficulty type' and this might be useful to some extent as I can then guess (only approximately, of course) how the algorithm calculates the score to be, say, a 46 instead of a 47 (someone somewhere has done this analysis already, most likely). But if they don't give essay feedback or identification of the questions answered incorrectly, this alone is not enough to purchase the report :). Btw, is the Hard-Medium-Easy a GMAT official classification or is it the case that they use, say, 5 levels of difficulty and since they won't publish the algorithm, Hard-Medium-Easy is used by us (students, tutors, prep providers, etc.) as a useful and mostly accurate proxy?

Hello again, S2021S. The ESR will not tell you "which questions [you] got wrong or provide feedback on the essay." The "Performance by Difficulty Type" is also misleading: a graph shows Average Difficulty through each quarter of the section. Since you missed so few questions, you will probably see a purple dot somewhere between Medium and High, and that is it. The categories of questions are also broad in scope, particularly in Quant. What, exactly, do any of the following mean? (And these are the only categories listed on an ESR.)

• Geometry
  • Rates/Ratio/Percent
  • Value/Order/Factors
  • Equal./Inequal./Alg.
  • Counting/Sets/Series

If, for instance, you missed a geometry question that incorporated variables or inequalities (perhaps some shaded region in a graph), into which category is that question placed? Just Geometry, or perhaps both Geometry and Equal...? And within the latter, was it the inequality that proved troublesome, or the algebra? Unless you remember the question, you have nothing to lean on. The ESR is of more use for students scoring below a 750, when more errors or timing issues may lead to more discussion points.

I would suggest reading this post on the GMAT Ninja website or simply watching the embedded video at the bottom of that page to better understand what the ESR does and does not tell you.

- Andrew
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 384 [0]
Given Kudos: 83
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35 (Online)
GPA: 3.42
Send PM
Toughest practice tests [#permalink]
AndrewN wrote:
S2021S wrote:
Thank you!

Hello again, S2021S. The ESR will not tell you "which questions [you] got wrong or provide feedback on the essay." The "Performance by Difficulty Type" is also misleading: a graph shows Average Difficulty through each quarter of the section. Since you missed so few questions, you will probably see a purple dot somewhere between Medium and High, and that is it. The categories of questions are also broad in scope, particularly in Quant. What, exactly, do any of the following mean? (And these are the only categories listed on an ESR.)

• Geometry
  • Rates/Ratio/Percent
  • Value/Order/Factors
  • Equal./Inequal./Alg.
  • Counting/Sets/Series

If, for instance, you missed a geometry question that incorporated variables or inequalities (perhaps some shaded region in a graph), into which category is that question placed? Just Geometry, or perhaps both Geometry and Equal...? And within the latter, was it the inequality that proved troublesome, or the algebra? Unless you remember the question, you have nothing to lean on. The ESR is of more use for students scoring below a 750, when more errors or timing issues may lead to more discussion points.

I would suggest reading this post on the GMAT Ninja website or simply watching the embedded video at the bottom of that page to better understand what the ESR does and does not tell you.

- Andrew

Wow that's a great analysis on ESR by AndrewN.

Yes you won't probably gain a lot from an ESR. And to answer your question on the classifications Easy, Medium, and Hard. These are the official classifications you can see on an ESR

BTW I found an ESR available online of an 800 scorer on the link below. You can check it out if you like.

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/ ... 36_ESR.pdf

BTW out of curiosity.. are you a native English speaker?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
AndrewN wrote:
S2021S wrote:
Thank you!

• Geometry
  • Rates/Ratio/Percent
  • Value/Order/Factors
  • Equal./Inequal./Alg.
  • Counting/Sets/Series

- Andrew

Thanks, that article was useful. It is interesting that they have a 'performance over time' section on the ESR that shows the average time taken per question, from the first to the fourth quarter - would love to see this feature made available on the mock tests!

Yes, trying to split math questions into broad categories of 'topics' seems futile - not sure how anyone would derive any value out of this section in the ESR unless they remember the exact question down to the last detail.

Anyway, I have got the official score report now; it doesn't have much detail, as expected - the essay is a 5, which is on expected lines - I probably wrote too much (packed in too many ideas/alternative explanations and crossed the word limit) and in a somewhat unstructured manner.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
SohGMAT2020 wrote:
AndrewN wrote:
S2021S wrote:
Thank you!

• Geometry
  • Rates/Ratio/Percent
  • Value/Order/Factors
  • Equal./Inequal./Alg.
  • Counting/Sets/Series

- Andrew

Wow that's a great analysis on ESR by AndrewN.

Yes you won't probably gain a lot from an ESR. And to answer your question on the classifications Easy, Medium, and Hard. These are the official classifications you can see on an ESR

BTW I found an ESR available online of an 800 scorer on the link below. You can check it out if you like.

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/ ... 36_ESR.pdf

BTW out of curiosity.. are you a native English speaker?

Thanks - I've decided not to purchase the ESR.

To answer your question (and I apologize for the very late reply), I'm not a native English speaker but, like many others in my country (or at least the more urban parts of it), I've had much of my formal education in English. Besides, I grew up watching a lot of international sports (the commentary is invariably in English), TV shows, and a bit of Hollywood. So, English is pretty much like a second native tongue - if a person doesn't know my name and talks to me on the phone, they wouldn't be able to tell that I'm not a native speaker. In fact, I never learnt the formal rules of English grammar (for example, I had no clue what a 'participle' or a 'gerund' was before I started learning other foreign languages a few years back) - I just rely on habit and 'feel'.

That said, my English writing skills have been on a slow decline due to disuse. Ten years or so back, I was writing regularly - I had four or five blogs (which I later took down because only an embarrassingly small number of people, a majority of them my real-life friends, were reading it!), was a regular contributor to online forum discussions, etc. - nowadays, I hardly write anything other than work-related stuff (emails, technical papers, etc.) and social media posts. And a decade of autocorrect and spellcheck have done to my spelling what Excel did to my ability to multiply large numbers (I was great at these things when I was a teenager), etc. :(
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2