Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:13 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [1]
Send PM
Director
Director
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Concentration: General Management
Schools: Tuck '16 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
Send PM
Re: Tuck (Dartmouth): Class of 2016- Calling all applicants! [#permalink]
I cannot believe I just got the invite for interview just now... So late for Early Round... I mean, other friends who applied Tuck already interviewed weeks before...

Does it means Tuck is not that interested in me...?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 127 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.43
WE:Operations (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Metallicaa wrote:
I cannot believe I just got the invite for interview just now... So late for Early Round... I mean, other friends who applied Tuck already interviewed weeks before...

You got an invite... pretty sure they are interested :) Good luck!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [0]
Given Kudos: 105
Schools: Tuck '16 (M$)
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
Send PM
Metallicaa wrote:

I think it's a good sign being invited. It sure beats not being invited to interview!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Metallicaa wrote:

An interview is good anytime. I wouldn't worry about it if I were you. Best wishes.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 277 [1]
Given Kudos: 57
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V40
WE:Asset Management (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Kudos
Metallicaa wrote:

haha oh man. Only in application season will you see reasoning like this :lol:

Congrats on the invite!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Send PM
Metallicaa wrote:

Congrats! I'd love to have that feedback, as it is surely positive!
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
WE:General Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Quite a mysterious set of circumstances. Don't know at this point of time whether my app has more likely been reviewed and dumped or not reviewed at all. Still a few invites trickling in as we saw above.

Any Indian folks (from India who did not visit Tuck for interviews) got invites last week or so?
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
WE:Asset Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
SarthakSharma wrote:
Quite a mysterious set of circumstances. Don't know at this point of time whether my app has more likely been reviewed and dumped or not reviewed at all. Still a few invites trickling in as we saw above.

Any Indian folks (from India who did not visit Tuck for interviews) got invites last week or so?

In the same boat. I wish all schools would have mid decision date at least. Makes our lives so much easier. I remember seeing may be one or two Indians on this forum get invites altogether. Tuck mentioned they had 16 Indians in T15 batch. I wonder how many of them went through this like us !
Intern
Intern
Send PM
chakni wrote:
SarthakSharma wrote:

In the same boat. I wish all schools would have mid decision date at least. Makes our lives so much easier. I remember seeing may be one or two Indians on this forum get invites altogether. Tuck mentioned they had 16 Indians in T15 batch. I wonder how many of them went through this like us !

Yeah I heard that bit too. But if it's 16, should it even be surprising that there have been so few invites altogether?

If you spread those over 3 rounds, it would come to about 5 final admits each round. That's 10 acceptances at a yield of 50% making it about 20 interview invites per round. That's for Indians across the world and including ones who interview at Hanover. Considering not many would report or be present on these forums, not sure if the silence is surprising at all.

Don't get me wrong, not trying to sound pessimistic. Just trying to be practical.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
WE:Asset Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
Third round isn't open to us Indians, so that would mean about 15 interviews a round. But I get the point. In or out, either way if they just let the people know whom the reject right away that would make the thing so much better !
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Yeah. But as you saw in one of the posts above, last year they hadn't read all the apps by Thanksgiving. So could go both ways.
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM Tuck Admissions Blog: First Snow!

We got our first real snowfall of the season yesterday. It wasn't much, just a couple inches, but it's just enough to transform the landscape into a bit of a winter wonderland. It was fun to watch the snow fall last night, and the boys loved playing with their snow shovels and having their first snowball fight this morning. 

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 197 [0]
Given Kudos: 145
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.7
WE:Corporate Finance (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
chakni wrote:
Third round isn't open to us Indians, so that would mean about 15 interviews a round. But I get the point. In or out, either way if they just let the people know whom the reject right away that would make the thing so much better !

The bright side about being invited for an interview is that you pretty much know that your chance of getting in is about 50%. For those of us who interviewed a long time ago for EA, who knows? I think the interview invite is a good piece of feedback...

But then again, the grass is always greener . . .
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GRE 1: Q770 V670
GPA: 3.3
WE:Project Management (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
gbrooks6687 wrote:
chakni wrote:

The bright side about being invited for an interview is that you pretty much know that your chance of getting in is about 50%. For those of us who interviewed a long time ago for EA, who knows? I think the interview invite is a good piece of feedback...

But then again, the grass is always greener . . .

Getting invited for interview is a strong signal from the AdCom (don't know about % distribution though). Practice your pitch and make sure you are well prepared - be it on Skype or in person.

All the best.
Director
Director
Send PM
Kudos
FROM Tuck Admissions Blog: Colgate Palmolive Comes to Tuck
Several Tuck alums who work at Colgate Palmolive, including Michael Sload T’89, Vice President & General Manager, Global Personal Care returned to Hanover to provide students interested in marketing careers with two days of training.  On Thursday, they led a group of 30 students on marketing store checks around the Upper Valley and on Friday, they conducted over 25 one-on-one mock interviews to help students prepare for interviewing season. 

Erin (T’15) graduated from the College of the Holy Cross with majors in economics and math.  Before Tuck, she worked in corporate finance at EMC Corporation and at Bausch + Lomb.  At Tuck, she is exploring opportunities in marketing and general management, is learning Indian dance from some classmates and is loving tripod hockey. 

Part of being at Tuck is learning to view the world in new ways.  Thanks to the marketing team from Colgate, 30 Tuckies will never view shopping or marketing in the same way again!

A group of Tuck alums who now work in the marketing department of Colgate spent an entire afternoon and evening with us.  We started off with a classroom session on Shopper Marketing, to set the foundation for the rest of the afternoon.  Did you know that 50% of consumers make their decision on which product to purchase when they are in the store? This means that marketing can’t stop at TV, magazine and online advertisements.  Brands need to be able to stand out and get your attention when you are at the store.  But how do they do this? To see firsthand, the Colgate marketers took us out of the classroom and into the stores! Over the course of the afternoon, we went to Wal-Mart, Walgreens, grocery stores and BJs. 

We started thinking about many different questions as we ventured out.  When you buy toothpaste, was it on your list before you walked into the store? When you find the toothpaste aisle, are you stopping at the first toothpaste in the aisle? Looking for your favorite brand? Trying to find the toothpaste that matches the coupon you cut from the Sunday paper?  Are you trying to whiten your smile for Tuck’s Fall Formal? Or just trying to prevent cavities?

The Colgate team explained that they have to think about how each of their targeted shoppers would answer these questions.  Making it more complex, if you are going into Wal-Mart for toothpaste, you are probably answering these questions differently than if you are going into Walgreens.  By going into the different stores we could see how these questions and answers led to prices, promotions and product placement at each store.  Since Colgate also owns Palmolive, Speedstick and Irish Spring, we also got to see how these questions, answers and solutions vary across categories.  We also became more aware of the strategy of each store, and how the brand’s strategy needs to complement the store’s strategy.  (Ever notice that Wal-Mart has many more big displays in the middle of the aisle than Target? Ever notice that the full price in a grocery store is much higher than Wal-Mart but the sale price in a grocery store is much lower than Wal-Mart?)  With so many different, moving pieces, it’s clear that there would never be a dull moment working at Colgate!

To round off the day, we headed to Murphy’s (a favorite watering hole of Tuckies past and present.)  Over Happy Hour, we got the opportunity to ask more questions about Colgate and about the team’s fondest memories of their two years at Tuck!
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM Tuck Admissions Blog: Career Treks: An Intimate Look into the Energy Sector
Jeph Shaw is a T’15 originally from Western Massachusetts.  After graduating from Tufts University in 2007, he joined the technology group of an investment bank in Boston focusing on Merger and Acquisition advisory.  Most recently, he worked in energy private equity with a firm based in Hanover, focusing on renewable energy infrastructure.

Given the small size of Tuck's program, I’ve been surprised by the number of classmates who share my interest in energy and the breadth of their interests. The hub of energy interest on campus at the graduate level is the Dartmouth Energy Collaborative, a joint club of Tuck, Thayer School of Engineering and Vermont Law School. Energy learning at Tuck has also taken a big step forward from a curriculum standpoint with the establishment of the Revers Energy Initiative, which will endow a full-time professor focused on energy.

Having worked at a company in the renewable energy industry based right here in Hanover, I was already aware of a lot of the activity and players in the region, but I continue to be surprised the depth of close-by energy activity, and by the strength of the Tuck alumni presence. At a recent lunch on campus, a visiting alum who founded a large energy private equity fund advised - even those students focused specifically on oil and gas - to consider staying away from Houston to keep their thinking differentiated.

When considering what cities to visit for potential energy-focused career “treks”, we didn’t have to look further than Boston to find a cluster of activity around cleantech and energy finance that spoke to the interests of a diverse group of students across Tuck and Thayer.

Last month, a group of about 12 Tuck and 8 Thayer students made the two and a half hour drive, stopping first in Waltham (a suburb of Boston often considered the center of its technology activity). The groups split up between an early commercial stage wind technology company and a waste-to-energy development company.

I went with the wind group, into an office in a converted mill building that looked like it could have housed a social media startup. We got a great glimpse into the commercialization process from the perspective of a T’13 who was working on developing the first set of commercial scale projects using the company’s technology - a really exciting and important inflection point for the company.  From Waltham, we headed east into Cambridge, where we met with a grid scale energy storage start-up. The front office where we entered had the look of a trading floor. From there we toured a working R&D lab in the basement and then sat with several members of the business team, including the CEO (a Tuck alum) who gave us some background on his career spanning energy consulting, public-sector work and cleantech IT, and explained why his current opportunity was the most exciting yet.

From a basement lab in Cambridge we headed to a skyscraper boardroom in the Back Bay, where we enjoyed a warm welcome from a large energy-focused private equity investment firm (literally, they baked warm cookies for us). Once there, several Tuck alums who met with us provided both a unique “macro” view of the energy industry as well as a “micro” view of the way they drive value in their portfolio companies.

The day concluded in the Seaport at the offices of a cleantech IT company, where again several enthusiastic Tuck alums greeted us, this time with much-appreciated cold refreshments. While some of us envied these recent grads’ opportunity to work on really interesting strategic issues at high levels of responsibility, they indicated similar envy for the fact that we were on our way back to Tuck for a weekend of fun with classmates.

Some of us stayed in town for an energy symposium at a large Boston-area business school the following day. While the compelling panel topics and knowledgeable speakers made for a worthwhile day, I think the other attendees from Tuck shared my opinion that the contrast to the intimacy of the previous day versus the relative anonymity of the larger conference was a great demonstration of the impact of Tuck’s unique community.
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM Tuck Admissions Blog: Career Treks - Energy in Houston, TX

Tanmay is a first year student at the Tuck School of Business at Dartmouth. Prior to business school, he spent 4 years working with Shell. He has worked in several roles including internal consulting, project management and engineering design for major oil and gas projects at various locations across Asia. Tanmay graduated from IIT Madras in 2009 with a bachelors and masters in Chemical engineering. He is an active member of the Dartmouth Energy Collaborative and the Tuck Soccer Club.

Last week, 13 first year MBA students travelled to Houston for the Tuck Energy Trek. The energy trek was in the planning for over a month and we were all very excited to finally get on a plane.  The flight was delayed but that did not dampen our spirits. Everyone was excited and ready to meet Chevron early Thursday morning. We then visited Schlumberger business consulting office in the afternoon.

My favorite part of the trek was Thursday evening when Tuckies in Houston welcomed us with an ‘Energy Trek Happy Hour’. The great reception we received from Tuck alumni was no surprise. We have come to expect it from our interactions with the Tuck alumni over the past few months. All of us had great conversations with the alumni and heard some great stories from their time at Tuck.

Friday was a busy day with visits to Bain, BCG and McKinsey in the morning, afternoon and evening respectively. We had great interactions at all the three offices with engaging discussions in small groups. The heavy presence of energy in the Houston offices of all the firms was evident from the interactions. Given that everyone in the group was interested in energy, the discussions ranged from broad topics such as future energy scenarios to focused discussions on specific projects by consultants at the Houston offices. We were very happy to see not only Tuckies but everyone in the offices welcome us and discuss their experiences of working and living in Houston.

The opportunity to meet people at the offices and talk to them in small groups enabled all of us understand the culture at each firm as well as develop great relationships. A big thank you to the Tuckies who made the visit to the Houston offices possible. The trek received an overwhelming positive response from all the firms as they really appreciated the group travelling all the way to Houston from Hanover. We had a fun Friday evening to wrap up the trek with a delicious Tex Mex dinner at El Teimpo. The energy in the group is high after the trek and we all are looking forward to the upcoming recruiting season with excitement.

GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  21   22   23   24   25   26   27  ...  78   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts