GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 May 2019, 14:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Tuck v Booth ($$$$)

new topic post reply Update application status  

Which school makes the most sense?

• 85% [35]
  • 14% [6]
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V44
GMAT 2: 720 Q48 V41
GPA: 3.52
Reviews Badge
Tuck v Booth ($$$$)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2019, 16:09
Hi all,
Hoping you can help me out here. I am currently deciding between Tuck and Booth.
Going into this process, Tuck was my #1 school - I loved the culture when I visited and the types of activities they had planned for prospective students.
But then I got an egregiously generous scholarship from Booth that I can't just turn down. And the more people I speak to at Booth, the greater it sounds (obviously, this is all part of the sell)
Not sure where I want to end up after school. Looking to go into ESG investing, fwiw.
The schools are basically the total opposite... but if I had no $ from Booth, I would 100% be going to Tuck.
Obviously, this is not a bad problem to have, but looking for any advice or thoughts - also if anyone can comment on their experiences on getting schools to match scholarships?
Manager
Manager
S
Schools: Yale '18 (M)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Tuck v Booth ($$$$)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2019, 16:37
cosmonv wrote:
Hi all,
Hoping you can help me out here. I am currently deciding between Tuck and Booth.
Going into this process, Tuck was my #1 school - I loved the culture when I visited and the types of activities they had planned for prospective students.
But then I got an egregiously generous scholarship from Booth that I can't just turn down. And the more people I speak to at Booth, the greater it sounds (obviously, this is all part of the sell)
Not sure where I want to end up after school. Looking to go into ESG investing, fwiw.
The schools are basically the total opposite... but if I had no $ from Booth, I would 100% be going to Tuck.
Obviously, this is not a bad problem to have, but looking for any advice or thoughts - also if anyone can comment on their experiences on getting schools to match scholarships?

I have no horse in this race, but assuming generous means 50% to 100% tuition, I can't think of many reasons why you should turn down the offer from Booth.

Especially since you're considering ESG investing, where I don't think the pay will be high. Paying full ticket will put immense pressure on you and you may end up opting for jobs you might not like as much (consulting / banking).
Intern
Intern
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2019, 16:40
Thank you for the response Wilch - I should have specified - I got a $50k per year ($100k total) to Booth, so yes it's not something I could just look away from!

I would be looking to go into ESG as an analyst at an asset manager so as far as the pay out of school, I think it would be competitive (maybe not the highest, but competitive) - of course, the scholarship would allow me to take more chances and maybe go into something lower-paying if that was what I wanted (whereas without it, I would need to factor that into my post-grad decisions).
Which School to Choose Forum Moderator
S
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V45
GPA: 3.75

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2019, 21:31
Agreed with Wilch, you aren't going to find many people that will recommend you turn down $100K at Booth to go to Tuck with no scholarship.
Manager
Manager
B
Schools: Duke '21 (A)
GMAT 1: 730 Q46 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE: Sales (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2019, 07:11
I love Tuck, was one of my top choices--but given your goal and the money there really is no argument here. Congrats and good luck at Booth!
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
V
Concentration: Finance
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2019, 10:31
cosmonv wrote:
Hi all,

Hello cosmonv

Honestly I was shocked when I saw this title :)

When I have read your thoughts I did get that Tuck bought you with culture fit trip, but I am just little bit less shocked that you still didn't decide the obvious ;)

Booth is way superior than Tuck.

It was like that for many years.

Booth is number one for Economics and Finance globally, where Investing falls as specialization, as being your target.

Having been offered full ride from Booth is beyond awesome :cool:

Egregiously generous indeed. :thumbup:

Booth is going to open some doors for you that Tuck would never have.

I can present you with various rankings and Tuck is always going to lag behind Booth sometimes for 10 places or more :

https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate-sc ... a-rankings

https://www.bloomberg.com/business-schools/2018/

https://www.topuniversities.com/univers ... lobal/2019

http://rankings.ft.com/businessschoolra ... nking-2019

It is really fairly easy choice.

If you had both offers without scholarship, I would still advise you to go to Booth.

Good Luck with Chicago winter :) :cool:
S
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V37
GMAT 2: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.6
WE: Analyst (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2019, 23:36
Depending on your situation it is almost always advisable to take to the most money when deciding between top schools.

FWIW I got a better offer at another higher ranked school and chose Tuck because 1) I am not location agnostic and 2) it is difficult to beat the culture at Tuck.

The money can be a big draw, but if your heart is set on Tuck then talk to the financial aid office. Another way to think about it, which I heard someone here say, is if when you started going into the cycle would you have paid $100k to get into Tuck with certainty? If not take the money at Booth and run.

You really can't go wrong with either school, best of luck!

Posted from my mobile device
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2019, 05:10
Hi all

I really appreciate your taking the time to read this and comment and vote - it was really helpful especially as I was freaking OUT for most of the last few days.

To my TOTAL shock and amazement... Tuck actually called me back and offered me an even higher scholarship than the one I got at Booth. So I went from 0% to 75% scholarship. I don't think this is a common occurrence, but I guess it does happen! I spoke to a million people and really gunned for it (respectively, of course) and was happy that I successfully leveraged one generous offer to a more-generous offer from my dream school.

I submitted my deposit for Tuck and will be there in the fall :)
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2019, 07:41
Congratulations!!!

Amazing story and no, it doesn’t happen very often for a school to offer someone a scholarship out of the blue. My guess someone who had been awarded the scholarship earlier I must’ve declined the offer an suv the money became available which is a rare situation to decline a Tuck offer was that much of a scholarship.

Again congratulations I’m glad to hear it worked out. I guess the moral of the story, don’t accept the offer early.

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
New! OG2020 Directory !
Want to know application stats & Profiles from last year? Check the Decision Tracker

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests
Intern
Intern
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2019, 09:35
well, yes, though as I noted, it wasn't *quite* out of the blue - I did tell them that I wanted to go there, that Tuck was my dream school, but that I had another offer that I needed to consider. I spoke to admissions, alumni, etc and really reiterated that I wanted to go there and that if anything in the scholarship department changed, then please let me know - shockingly they did and much sooner than I expected!
SVP
SVP
V
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Tuck v Booth ($$$$)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2019, 15:59
cosmonv wrote:
well, yes, though as I noted, it wasn't *quite* out of the blue - I did tell them that I wanted to go there, that Tuck was my dream school, but that I had another offer that I needed to consider. I spoke to admissions, alumni, etc and really reiterated that I wanted to go there and that if anything in the scholarship department changed, then please let me know - shockingly they did and much sooner than I expected!

Congrats for Tuck. It is amazing. :clap:

Tuck believed in you and how authentic you are (especially that Booth is ranked higher and you want to sacrifice it for Tuck) and then offered you this amount, although in some circles Tuck is not known for generosity. It shows how successful negotiation can help get more money with subtlety.

Btw, has Tuck asked you for any proof for Booth scholarship?

Good luck
Consortium Thread Master
S
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V37
GMAT 2: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.6
WE: Analyst (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2019, 14:58
See u in the fall, congrats :')

B
Schools: Stern '21 (A$)
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.4

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2019, 04:37
Wow that was nice of Tuck and made your decision really easy. Congrats.!
Intern
Intern
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2019, 13:39
Mo2men wrote:
cosmonv wrote:

Btw, has Tuck asked you for any proof for Booth scholarship?

They did not. I (obviously) would have been able to provide it to them on the spot... but there is literally ZERO upside/point in lying about any of this or even exaggerating any of it. One would be a fool to think that these offices aren't talking to each other/could figure this out and one could get all their acceptances rescinded!

I am sure that in these situations, without "proof", they will speak to someone in the other school's administrative office. (Also, I wouldn't put it past someone previously having tried to forge something like this! It would only make sense IMO that they get first hand proof)
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2019, 14:20
Congratulations on your decision and an end of this stressful chapters of the journey.

Tuck is a great program and a very unique experience! Great job and luck with the scholarship.

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
New! OG2020 Directory !
Want to know application stats & Profiles from last year? Check the Decision Tracker

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Tuck v Booth ($$$$)   [#permalink] 23 Apr 2019, 14:20

Tuck v Booth ($$$$)

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, Wilch, teleste

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap